Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 29 is up.

There was one last scene we had to do.

I had to open 280 loving doors to get there.

It's bad.

I opened it up to past commentators to come and join me and a ton of them did, which warms my cold, bitter heart.

Also some viewers!

It made me feel like a real grandma.

Uncut Chaos Stream

CircumcisedCut Chaos Stream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

This loving cutscene is literally just some rear end in a top hat going, "Yeah, but I'm justified."

gently caress this entire game.

Thank you for this entire LP, GrandmaParty, but also gently caress this entire game.

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

You could have replaced Semi as a waifu hug pillow or a Sexy Lamp and basically nothing about the plot would have changed. God, this ending was disgusting and I hated every minute of it. Thanks for LPing this, GrandmaParty, and thank you for Scabs (+ Charlie) and to the rest of the thread for the wonderful cats/dog(s?).

I'm also going to call it that the requirement for naming yourself Zelda has absolutely no narrative relation to the third ending outside of maybe a token reference to the character or gameplay because nothing about the game's writing has made me think otherwise.

:yiikes:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let's go back and actually pay attention to what the dungeon master says:

"We get a bad wrap, you and I"

"No one was there to check out homework..."

thank god this is done until they actually put in the third ending

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
"Here are all the excuses why we were a jerk but hey because we had privilege.. oh wait I lost my train of thought"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
me, when anyone in this game talks: "is there a rest stop between here and the loving point"

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Seeric posted:

What exactly is the thing that The Essentia 2000 wants that only Alex can give her that destroying the world helps her to obtain?

Essentia wants Essentia 995 freed from proto-Alex, is my understanding. Naturally we murder her because Alex is a hero.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Essentia wants Essentia 995 freed from proto-Alex, is my understanding. Naturally we murder her because Alex is a hero.

It's like they got to that part of the game and forgot to write it.

This game was extremely bad. This thread was extremely good. Thanks Grandma and thread people.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Is this talking about the mind dungeon scene, or the second ending?

As far as I'm concerned, "yes".

:majorminor:

Thanks GrandmaParty and all the guest commentators for enduring this shitshow and making it watchable for us.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Sage Grimm posted:

"Here are all the excuses why we were a jerk but hey because we had privilege.. oh wait I lost my train of thought"

"Privilege isn't real because my life isn't perfect, so it's okay if I'm an rear end in a top hat," seems like the perfect coda to a story(???) where the main character feels justified in punishing his friend for the crime of grieving his dead sister.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, I just started playing Hypnospace Outlaw and it captured the 90's aesthetic far better than this game ever could without even trying.

MachuPikacchu fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 5, 2019

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Scabs has a cute voice. Hi Scabs!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Not my cat as my cats all died years ago, but this cat is pretty special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7x_lWJNnNg

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
I love that cat. "whoa."

Also Sammy's theme has always bothered me because it is extremely aping this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h2V8CFtGZE

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is update 28 missing from the first post?

Aslo, yes commentary links for video 20 and 21 lead to the same video.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I'm really not sure what remains to be said about this game at this point, but I feel like I need to say something after having seen all of it. This game is gross. It is also incoherent, and the ending(s) made that worse, but honestly that pales in comparison to the creepiness and the fetishisation of an actual dead woman, as I think we've already said many times before.

I would thank you for showing it off at least, because this game needed to be torn apart, but on some level I wish I had never seen it so that's a bit difficult. Still, you deserve a medal for suffering through this for us.

:majorminor:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

SelenicMartian posted:

Is update 28 missing from the first post?

Aslo, yes commentary links for video 20 and 21 lead to the same video.

Thank you for letting me know. I've fixed these.

:love:

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Due to the blind nature of our playthrough, Diacorn and I are following the thread slowly so as to not spoil ourselves. I just wanted to say congratulations on making it through this monument to mediocrity. We'll follow along shortly. Hope the next LP is for one you enjoy!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i don't even know the in-game context of that ending but it still made me want to loving puke. Toby Fox did the right thing by disavowing himself of working with Yuk. it could have just been forgettably terrible but it ended up being that. i feel like i need to take a shower

Jimmy is going to be a welcome victory lap for you

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seeric posted:

YIIK deserves to be panned because it's a bad and incredibly flawed game, but it has to be heartbreaking to see it fall apart after spending so much time on it and even sacrificing your true passion project for it. Not that this excuses the way Andrew Allanson has lashed out, but it does make it more understandable.

This. This is my stance too. And I'll be real, I think Roy at the end works. I don't appreciate him being wallpapered throughout the rest of the game, but the monologue at the end was genuine and pretty emotional.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh great we're ending the "postmodern rpg" with Platonic Essentialism, joy. :yiikes:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is up. Come enjoy an actual good game.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888907

I'm going to leave this thread open because we're not done until the third ending.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
It's got to be frustrating to pour all that time and energy into a indie project, only to end up with a mess of a product that was quickly discarded and mocked by its audience. I sympathize with that. But his reaction to the disinterest and criticism is shallow and self-serving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mizuti posted:

It's got to be frustrating to pour all that time and energy into a indie project, only to end up with a mess of a product that was quickly discarded and mocked by its audience. I sympathize with that. But his reaction to the disinterest and criticism is shallow and self-serving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik
As I mentioned in the Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass thread, the creator of that game had the complete opposite reaction to players pointing out flaws in the gameplay. Namely, he listened to them and fixed the game in future updates accordingly. What a concept!

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
took a break from the thread and watched the second ending and the door scene in a row. everything I've got to say has been said except for dungeon!alex crossing over into Maximum Overprick by dismissing vella's critiques of his character because she... was taken advantage of? I don't even remember?

thanks for all the entertainment

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

took a break from the thread and watched the second ending and the door scene in a row. everything I've got to say has been said except for dungeon!alex crossing over into Maximum Overprick by dismissing vella's critiques of his character because she... was taken advantage of? I don't even remember?

thanks for all the entertainment

It's that whole "women have less inherent worth if they aren't virgins".

Or basically:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, I finally caught up with this thread and the videos after getting cross-referenced to here from both the Reborn and Octopath threads.

All I can really say right now is that Alex’s VA was probably the perfect choice, for all the worst reasons.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Thanks for the LP, GrandmaParty.

This game loving sucks.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Kobold eBooks posted:

Thanks for the LP, GrandmaParty.

This game loving sucks.

Quality post/AV combo :golfclap:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I understand what they meant by "Earthbound inspired" now.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh god, I have traumatic memories of that ad. They actually managed to make a stratch-n-sniff smell like literal garbage. One of them smelled like rancid orange creamsicle, for some reason?

I guess it worked, though, as the game stayed in my brain until I saw it at Blockbuster, gave it a rent, and another rent, and another rent, and finally bought it and cherished it forever.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 7, 2019

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
See the opposite happened for me; I'd recall those rancid smells every time I saw the game so I didn't play it until year later on emulators.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Turns out ONISM is actually a real word?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Not quite.

the video description posted:

The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows is a compendium of invented words written by John Koenig. Each original definition aims to fill a hole in the language—to give a name to emotions we all might experience but don’t yet have a word for. Follow the project, give feedback, suggest an emotion you need a word for, or just tell me about your day.

This may well be where :yiikes: got the word from, but it doesn't seem to be in proper dictionaries. (Further on down in the video description it says they literally created it as a portmanteau of 'onanism' and 'monism' so, well, the jokes about onanism in the LP were somewhat prescient.)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

You know, in the context of what YIIK tried (and failed) to say and for what role and purpose the Onism site serves in YIIK's universe and narrative... it actually works and is quite profound.

"The Awareness of How Little of the World You'll Experience". Upon discovering Onism1999.com, Alex ostensibly becomes aware of how little of the larger world (where all the weridass poo poo happens) around him he actually experiences, and takes his first step into being able to experience it for himself--AAAAAAAAAAGH! I wish this game had a better writer than Andrew Allanson because that's such a loving cool concept to blow on a game like YIIK: A Post-Modern RPG.

:negative:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

You know what this reminds me of? That one kickstarter game that used mythical monsters for NPCs and/or enemies, and accidentally included a faked mythical monster. As in, someone made a wikipedia page using one of their friend's names and gave it some random bigfoot-type attributes, and claimed it was an obscure folk monster. I think I'm remembering that right. I wish I could find that article about it again.

It's fitting for Yuk to do zero research and throw whatever in their game. It's what they deserve.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

value-brand cereal posted:

You know what this reminds me of? That one kickstarter game that used mythical monsters for NPCs and/or enemies, and accidentally included a faked mythical monster. As in, someone made a wikipedia page using one of their friend's names and gave it some random bigfoot-type attributes, and claimed it was an obscure folk monster. I think I'm remembering that right. I wish I could find that article about it again.

It's fitting for Yuk to do zero research and throw whatever in their game. It's what they deserve.

Rising Sun is the name of the game, and you're right, some dude did a Wikipedia vandalism as a joke towards one of their friends and Rising Sun uncritically put it into their game.

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/the-wireless/375092/this-19-year-old-kiwi-farmer-accidentally-became-a-character-in-a-us-board-game

FWIW the comparison falls apart though, because Rising Sun is actually a good board game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Omnicrom posted:

Rising Sun is the name of the game, and you're right, some dude did a Wikipedia vandalism as a joke towards one of their friends and Rising Sun uncritically put it into their game.

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/the-wireless/375092/this-19-year-old-kiwi-farmer-accidentally-became-a-character-in-a-us-board-game

FWIW the comparison falls apart though, because Rising Sun is actually a good board game.

I'm just glad that the guy took it in stride.