Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

FInally managed to get to see endgame I'm really glad that Chris Hemsworth's experience making Thor ragnarok really made him like doing the character. I'm all for the big thorwsky in Guardians 3. Also the fight with thano's army is the most comic book poo poo I've ever seen in a movie. loved it. My only real complaints about the movie is that the stuff with hawkeye and ronin seemed really superfluous. I mean, yeah, it shows how hard he took the death of the family but it doesn't go much farther than that.

Just a good goddamn movie and I'm excited for the future of marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Monaghan posted:

FInally managed to get to see endgame I'm really glad that Chris Hemsworth's experience making Thor ragnarok really made him like doing the character. I'm all for the big thorwsky in Guardians 3. Also the fight with thano's army is the most comic book poo poo I've ever seen in a movie. loved it. My only real complaints about the movie is that the stuff with hawkeye and ronin seemed really superfluous. I mean, yeah, it shows how hard he took the death of the family but it doesn't go much farther than that.

Just a good goddamn movie and I'm excited for the future of marvel.

It'd be cool if Thor is still chubby and doesn't just magically shed weight so we can have a plus-size hero running around in the MCU.

I thought the Hawkeye stuff was neat since I saw it as them going, "What if we have someone more like comics Punisher running around killing criminals? How come no one's stopping him?" and the answer is "The Avengers are too busy helping stabilize the world to even deal with him. But once he's in their radar they can easily track him down and stop him." Like if it hadn't been Clint, I can see Nat asking Steve and Rhodey to come with her and arrest the guy.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Nah guys, Thor will open Guardians 3 by doing a training montage set to Eye of The Tiger. He will get increasingly fit as the montage continues. Star Lord will look increasingly jealous in the background. Thor will reveal this wasn't the first time he got fat.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

amigolupus posted:

It'd be cool if Thor is still chubby and doesn't just magically shed weight so we can have a plus-size hero running around in the MCU.

I thought the Hawkeye stuff was neat since I saw it as them going, "What if we have someone more like comics Punisher running around killing criminals? How come no one's stopping him?" and the answer is "The Avengers are too busy helping stabilize the world to even deal with him. But once he's in their radar they can easily track him down and stop him." Like if it hadn't been Clint, I can see Nat asking Steve and Rhodey to come with her and arrest the guy.

I agree about keeping fat Thor. In my headcannon him being overweight/out of shape was the reason he couldn't overpower a gauntlet-less Thanos. Because the Thor ar the end of Infinity War seemed ridiculously OP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

I agree about keeping fat Thor. In my headcannon him being overweight/out of shape was the reason he couldn't overpower a gauntlet-less Thanos. Because the Thor ar the end of Infinity War seemed ridiculously OP.

I mean at the end of IW he caught Thanos by surprise, not a straight fight.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

amigolupus posted:

The first part would be legendary just for having fun with the IP.

The second part reminded me too much of how Jeph Loeb turned him into an edgelord Megazord and I couldn't really enjoy it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

No they were all holding the hotdogs. The hotdogs got ashed too.

No the hotdogs were clearly ashed because they were still alive. You really don't wanna know what's in hotdogs. :rimshot:

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's way way way more likely they just continue without him having it so they don't have to ask why he doesn't use time travel to solve every single problem in his or other's movies.

I mean they showed that the Eye of Agamotto was basically just a fancy holder for the Stone, there's no reason he can't still just carry the Eye itself. They can even bullshit and say it still has powers of its own.

site posted:

Not to be outdone by Carol pandering to the lesbians, Drax is now a Daddy

*in extremely Drax voice*

Drax was a father before Guardians 1, this isn't a new development?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 5, 2019

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I finally got around to watching Into the Spider-Verse and of course it was amazing. Just a delight from beginning to end, visually incredible, can't say enough good things about it. Between this, the MCU, and the PS4 game, we're in a really good time for Spider-Man media.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I’m 6 months late on this, but I just watched Venom. It is... not good, but also not boring? The pacing is really weird. The first act takes forever and then the last act with Riot is rushed and the least interesting part of the movie. The middle section with Eddie and Venom getting to know each other and running from/fighting goons is actually a lot of fun and almost makes up for the rest of it.

So there are a lot of problems, but having nothing to do with Spider-Man isn’t one of them, and they actually severed it from Spider-Man while keeping the core concept pretty well. It made a bajillion dollars so there will definitely be a sequel, and terrible wig aside, it feels like if they actually put a decent script together there’s still potential for a good schlocky B-movie where Tom Hardy and Woody Harrelson are Spider-Man’s Wario and Waluigi.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope Sony tries to pretend that their Spider Cinematic Universe is part of the MCU by alluding to some kind of worldwide catastrophe that happened in the recent past.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I’m 6 months late on this, but I just watched Venom. It is... not good, but also not boring? The pacing is really weird. The first act takes forever and then the last act with Riot is rushed and the least interesting part of the movie. The middle section with Eddie and Venom getting to know each other and running from/fighting goons is actually a lot of fun and almost makes up for the rest of it.

I enjoyed the gently caress out of it. You're right that isn't any good, but it's fun with lots of property damage to make up for the steaming poo that makes up most of it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Venom's good.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Funny, it was the second act where Venom lost me. I was with it all through the first.

I'd have to watch it again to really articulate why, but it suddenly became much less interesting to me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I saw Venom and then saw Spider-Verse immediately afterwards. It did not help Venom's case very much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Endgame commercials are getting more spoilery. Saw one last night that used more clips from the final battle and just straight up showed the introduction to smart Hulk.

Also prelim weekend box office has it at $148m which would barely be under The Force Awakens for second week BO. Although with a higher first week this means it made more money faster than TFA. Endgame is still completely dominating as number 2 and 3 are both around $10m each.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Endgame is absolutely a movie where, even ignoring possible commercials spoiling the movie, you HAVE to see the movie within at least the first week. Or you are gonna get spoiled just from like... going out to buy milk and some people are talking about it. If you care about spoilers at all, this isn't a movie you wait around on. I felt like I was dodging bullets on the internet just by waiting a few days to see the movie (I waited til Tuesday to see it, I did not want to deal with a weekend opening crowd). And even then I got spoiled on something, but at least it was something I assumed was going to happen 100% so i wasn't bothered by it: Tony Stark dying. I would've been shocked if he had lived. I also got spoiled on Black Widow dying but lol Black Widow. Also didn't get spoiled on how it happens

I'm shocked I managed to avoid getting spoiled on how the movie handles fixing Infinity War (the time travel)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Weekend isn’t over and Endgame is now the #2 in the world with 2.188 billion dollars. At this rate even with a considerable drop weekend to weekend it might actually hit 3 billion dollars.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/1125055057114824714?s=19

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Macaluso posted:

Endgame is absolutely a movie where, even ignoring possible commercials spoiling the movie, you HAVE to see the movie within at least the first week. Or you are gonna get spoiled just from like... going out to buy milk and some people are talking about it. If you care about spoilers at all, this isn't a movie you wait around on. I felt like I was dodging bullets on the internet just by waiting a few days to see the movie (I waited til Tuesday to see it, I did not want to deal with a weekend opening crowd). And even then I got spoiled on something, but at least it was something I assumed was going to happen 100% so i wasn't bothered by it: Tony Stark dying. I would've been shocked if he had lived. I also got spoiled on Black Widow dying but lol Black Widow. Also didn't get spoiled on how it happens

I'm shocked I managed to avoid getting spoiled on how the movie handles fixing Infinity War (the time travel)

I was most worried about spoilers while I was in the theatre walking to my screening. Statistically that's the most dangerous place opening weekend!

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 5, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just want to go through the thread and quote everyone who said it wont beat Avatar.

Myself included!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I just want to go through the thread and quote everyone who said it wont beat Avatar.

Myself included!

I mean it still hasn't. It needs pretty significantly longer legs to do that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's been 14 days.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Avatar is at like $2.79 billion, so the movie still needs to make another $600 million to clear that. It's possible but it's going to be tough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It's been 14 days.

It's been 14 days but it's also running into a bunch of serious potential blockbusters, something Avatar didn't have to deal with.

It's not impossible by any means, just not quite a Done Deal.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 5, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Macaluso posted:

I got spoiled about drunk and fat Thor by some twitter person complaining that the character was fat-phobic. A co-worker spoiled the Iron man/Spider-man's reunion because he was thinking it was TOO gay to see two male characters hugging.

*Screams forever*

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hope your coworker never has kids

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Desperado Bones posted:

I got spoiled about drunk and fat Thor by some twitter person complaining that the character was fat-phobic. A co-worker spoiled the Iron man/Spider-man's reunion because he was thinking it was TOO gay to see two male characters hugging.

*Screams forever*

Was that person Kelly Turnbull? I didn't think it was that bad but I could see where she was coming from.

That second one is :lol: though

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Desperado Bones posted:

A co-worker spoiled the Iron man/Spider-man's reunion because he was thinking it was TOO gay to see two male characters hugging.
Man, the support group scene must have made him lose his poo poo.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

site posted:

hope your coworker never has kids

Me too.

Macaluso posted:

That second one is :lol: though

Lord Hydronium posted:

Man, the support group scene must have made him lose his poo poo.

The guy has some serious problems tbh. There's a lot of Yikes! casual comments from him.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Desperado Bones posted:

I got spoiled about drunk and fat Thor by some twitter person complaining that the character was fat-phobic.

I actually saw someone on Twitter making the exact opposite point today, that it's super affirming that Mjolnir still came to the Big Thorbowski. Being depressed and struggling with your issues doesn't make you unworthy of love/a magic hammer.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Spider-Man’s Wario and Waluigi.

Holy poo poo, I've never thought of that, but that is perfect.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rhyno posted:

Myself included!

Quote me saying I said it would when/if it does too.

:smuggo:

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Thor's probably going to be one of those "I can see what they were trying to do but the cheap jokes somewhat undermine the intent" things for me in the coming days

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I get that I probably shouldn't be cheering for Disney to get this symbol of its own monolithic dominance of the entertainment space because it's growing increasingly terrifying, but also gently caress Avatar.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The money is all going to the same place now anyways. Disney megacorporation has its MCU fandom seeing Endgame multiple times in an attempt to beat out another movie's worldwide box office that it also owns. Heh. The only person this should actually and reasonably affect is James Cameron. Maybe. Maybe he doesn't give a gently caress. Records are made to be broken, he got to the top first, etc.

I don't think anyone here is championing/cheering for Endgame's box office numbers. Like, everyone knew it was going to make an assload of money. That's not surprising. But it is fascinating to see how much AND how fast money can be made when a studio can engineer a comic book movie franchise to be super palatable, and are 20+ films deep into that franchise. Kind of insane really. Feige is a good businessman.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Uh, it's not like Avatar *loses* money as Endgame makes more.

(I am kinda actually cheering for Endgame to make more money than Avatar, because I think in terms of Cinema History, it's better for the top grossing film to be a culmination of a popular franchise that people care about, than a case of it being a weirdo gimmick film.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

The money is all going to the same place now anyways. Disney megacorporation has its MCU fandom seeing Endgame multiple times in an attempt to beat out another movie's worldwide box office that it also owns. Heh. The only person this should actually and reasonably affect is James Cameron. Maybe. Maybe he doesn't give a gently caress. Records are made to be broken, he got to the top first, etc.

I don't think anyone here is championing/cheering for Endgame's box office numbers. Like, everyone knew it was going to make an assload of money. That's not surprising. But it is fascinating to see how much AND how fast money can be made when a studio can engineer a comic book movie franchise to be super palatable, and are 20+ films deep into that franchise. Kind of insane really. Feige is a good businessman.

James Cameron does seem to dislike superhero films based off his comments but I imagine he's not going to be heartbroken.

Best/worst outcome: Avatar 2 somehow makes 5 billion dollars, James Cameron skydives into the oscars while flipping everyone the bird, Disney purchases several small countries.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

teagone posted:

I think it actually has more to do with spoilers. Marvel announced what date they considered acceptable to post spoilers online which people have respected at a surprising rate, and also has led people to make sure they see it before that date.

People going to see it multiple times are probably going because they like it, not because they are trying to beat some box office. These aren't Serenity fans hoping they can force a new season of firefly into being.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't really think spoilers make much difference. Endgame is getting more repeat viewings than IW. People like the film.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fangz posted:

(I am kinda actually cheering for Endgame to make more money than Avatar, because I think in terms of Cinema History, it's better for the top grossing film to be a culmination of a popular franchise that people care about, than a case of it being a weirdo gimmick film.)

Say what you want about Avatar, but it was movie born from the vision of one guy — not a studio — who wanted to make his blue cat aliens come to life. It wasn't a sequel, or adapted from whatever source material, but it still somehow managed to topple the worldwide box office in a way that a Batman, Harry Potter, or Star Wars movie couldn't. That's a pretty insane feat, and was due to the strength of the director, not a franchise.

Avatar making as much money as it did being this weird blue cat alien tech-demo was a crazy anomaly. Endgame was good fun, but I'd personally champion the kind of crazy-rear end, director driven filmmaking behind Avatar — as derivative as it was — as the top of "Cinema History" over a capstone sequel to a megacorporation's 22 film franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fangz posted:

I don't really think spoilers make much difference. Endgame is getting more repeat viewings than IW. People like the film.
That surprises me a bit because I don’t have a lot of interest in seeing Endgame again but I have watched IW a few times