Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

For roughly the same money, the C63s is faster, shorter, wider, has more cargo space, more cylinders and more standard features. Fully loaded, they both come in around $95k, with the E53 having an upgraded sound system, more interior choices, the new dashboard that's just two giant screens (which I hate) and soft close doors.

The biggest advantage the E53 has is RWD vs. AWD. For my money, I'd be going for the C63s.

i agree the E Coupe is not a great value but the whole point of AMG E-classes is that you can get them as sedans or wagons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ford: releases "new" ranger in the US based on an 8 year old truck
Truck reviewers: this sucks
Truck buyers: naw, no thanks
Ford: I guess nobody wants small trucks :shrug:

e:

lol

Powershift fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 5, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
There's an E63 wagon or two in my neighborhood and whenever I see them I wonder what they're really for. It's not like people take them to the track with any frequency. Seems like a regular e series wagon would do most everything you'd ever want.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

to do all the stuff you do in an e class wagon but faster and with better handling and noises

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

to do all the stuff you do in an e class wagon but faster and with better handling and noises

Exactly. I wasn't as clear as I should have been in my post, I wanted to test drive the E53 wagon and am now trying to figure out how to make a custom order happen.

Faster with better handling and a 90% rear biased all wheel drive system.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i am not in the position where $40k is a negligble sum to me so i'd probably buy an E450 and then like, i dunno, a Caterham kit but if you have gently caress you money why not?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I guess it adds something to driving to get groceries/picking up the kids from school?

Is the e63 being replaced by the e53?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I guess it adds something to driving to get groceries/picking up the kids from school?

Both are being sold side by side for the 2019 and 2020 model years, at least on Canada.

The M256 also gets 8l/100km in the city in wagon trim thanks to all the F1 tech in it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i am not in the position where $40k is a negligble sum to me so i'd probably buy an E450 and then like, i dunno, a Caterham kit but if you have gently caress you money why not?

Maybe if you want the knowledge that you own the rarest still-produced Benz?

Also, the average buyer has a household income of $350k and already owns 4 cars, according to MB.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Residency Evil posted:

No, but MB has said that all future AMGs will have to incorporate hybrid tech as they are reaching the limits of what they can do with internal combustion while still meeting fuel efficiency and emissions requirements.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

No, but MB has said that all future AMGs will have to incorporate hybrid tech as they are reaching the limits of what they can do with internal combustion while still meeting fuel efficiency and emissions requirements.

Yeah, their i6 and V8 were designed from the ground up as mild hybrids, with an electric motor in the bell housing replacing both the alternator and starter, as well as powering almost all the accessories electrically. The V8 doesn't even have an accessory belt.

I'm surprised ford's new 7.3 has a traditional alternator and starter. I would have thought every single clean sheet engine from here on out would be built around a combined starter/alternator that can also do torquefill and energy recovery.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Powershift posted:

Yeah, their i6 and V8 were designed from the ground up as mild hybrids, with an electric motor in the bell housing replacing both the alternator and starter, as well as powering almost all the accessories electrically. The V8 doesn't even have an accessory belt.

I'm surprised ford's new 7.3 has a traditional alternator and starter. I would have thought every single clean sheet engine from here on out would be built around a combined starter/alternator that can also do torquefill and energy recovery.

Isn't Ford's new 7.3 also exclusively targeting segments where fuel economy is not reported? The thing doesn't even have direct injection if I remember right.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Isn't Ford's new 7.3 also exclusively targeting segments where fuel economy is not reported? The thing doesn't even have direct injection if I remember right.

Yeah, it's obviously designed to be a tank, but part of that could have been never having to replace an alternator, starter, drive belt, and water pump swaps done in a parking lot in 15 minutes. You would never need to add an alternator for more accessories, drive an air compressor off the accessory belt or even need to locate the compressor in the engine compartment.

That said, the Aviator is patient zero for ford's full hybrid system, which is inside the 10R80 that gets put into everything, and it could possible transfer over to the new truck.

Fuel efficiency isn't monitored at a government level in the heavy trucks, but operators still care deeply about their fuel usage, and the jump from 9 to 10mpg saves as much fuel as the jump from 32mpg to 50mpg. That's why the F600 exists, which is an F550 cab on an F650 chassis.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Residency Evil posted:

There's an E63 wagon or two in my neighborhood and whenever I see them I wonder what they're really for. It's not like people take them to the track with any frequency. Seems like a regular e series wagon would do most everything you'd ever want.

nobody buys AMG cars because of the actual performance, AMG versions are popular because they’re the more expensive/exclusive/better trim

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wheeee posted:

nobody buys AMG cars because of the actual performance, AMG versions are popular because they’re the more expensive/exclusive/better trim

Not true. They compete directly with M cars. The V8 AMGs are properly fast and can hold their own on a track, even the big ones. The GT 4 door is the fastest 4 door around the Nurburgring IIRC.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
They are the most expensive, but they are expensive because of the performance. It varies heavily with the model as well. AMG buyers tend to be younger and wealthier on average compared to non-AMG buyers. There are definitely people who just buy the most expensive one though without regards to performance - the 65 AMGs are slower than the 63s in every model I believe, despite their higher power. There's a quote I've seen a few times regarding the 65-series AMGs where the guy who works at the dealership is like 'they buy the S65 because there isn't an S75' but that is a pretty small part of the market and I don't think your generalization is correct. I would say it does apply to things like the pre-2019 G-wagen which is only purchased for purposes of conspicuous consumption as it is by all accounts a terrible vehicle, but they only sell a few thousand of those a year.

I think the real appeal, besides the performance, is horsepower as a status symbol and the 'street cred' associated with it. I'd notice a C63 before the 50th S550 I've seen even though the latter is the nicer, more expensive vehicle.

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 5, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

While I can't say all AMGs never get time on a track you're mad claiming people don't buy them because they're the most expensive model. For the most part they're a display of wealth outside of how fantastic they are as actual performance cars.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I like the implication that they're legit because they compete with M cars, that's loving hilarious. Most people that buy M cars and AMGs do it because they're badge chasing, you're goddamn delusional if you think otherwise. This is why they came up with the "junior" badges like M-Sport in the first loving place. Same thing applies to Audi S cars. The performance matters, in terms of bench racing your co-workers, but it's definitely about making sure everyone knows you paid extra not to have a plain jane, everyman 3-series or E class.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

But if you're just paying for the badge, why would you get a C63s over an S450?

...And why would you get a GT-R over a Ferrari Portofino?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Maybe because a GTR is like half the price of a Portofino?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
It’s kind of like putting fake M badges on your 328i, anyone who cares will know it’s fake, and anyone who won’t know doesn’t care in the first place

I don’t think, everything else being equal, they would sell many M/AMG models if they were priced the same but didn’t have increased performance

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Where do people buying a Cayman GT4 rather than a base 911 fall on this scale?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

incels interlinked posted:

It’s kind of like putting fake M badges on your 328i, anyone who cares will know it’s fake, and anyone who won’t know doesn’t care in the first place

I don’t think, everything else being equal, they would sell many M/AMG models if they were priced the same but didn’t have increased performance

You won't fool anybody who cares, anybody you do fool won't care.

Although, should i ever own an Alfa, i will be immidately be putting quadriformaggio badges on it.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Agreed that 99% of those buying AMGs are buying it as a status symbol, performance notwithstanding. I think they’re way too uncomfortable to be true to the Mercedes brand, never mind the cost

Twerk from Home posted:

Where do people buying a Cayman GT4 rather than a base 911 fall on this scale?

They’re entirely different markets. The Cayman owners I’ve met tend to skew way younger (and Asian, interestingly)

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 5, 2019

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
I haven't yet seen the new Mazda 3 hatch in person but my first thought from pictures was that the rear was disproportionately bulbus and ugly. But now I'm thinking the proportions might actually work really well with wide (255-265?) tires in the back. Here's to hoping they make a hot hatch version :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Is the Cayman GT4 the car that punches out it's shock towers if you look at a pothole the wrong way?

Sits on Pilster posted:

I haven't yet seen the new Mazda 3 hatch in person but my first thought from pictures was that the rear was disproportionately bulbus and ugly. But now I'm thinking the proportions might actually work really well with wide (255-265?) tires in the back. Here's to hoping they make a hot hatch version :(
I can't get over the way the rear door line interacts with the wheel arch.

It breaks the car for me.

Don't look at it, don't think about it, just pretend it isn't happening. What's even happening there? did the door guy not talk to the wheel arch guy?

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 5, 2019

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

got off on a technicality posted:

Agreed that 99% of those buying AMGs are buying it as a status symbol, performance notwithstanding. I think they’re way too uncomfortable to be true to the Mercedes brand, never mind the cost

AMG appeals to people who don't want a stodgy old man car though, that's the entire point of the brand. Like if you are in the market for a C63/E63 you are probably going to cross-shop them with other performance oriented cars like the BMW Ms, Cadillac Vs, Audi S/RS or even the SRT Dodges, not an E300 or other 'normal' model

In other words, the high horsepower of your sexy super sedan lets people know 'this guy fucks'

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Sits on Pilster posted:

I’ve seen one in person at my work in mica blue. It’s the hatch with the 2.5 and awd and I’m surprised how well it all ties together. I’ve parked my cx-3 and it makes mine look like a micro machine in regards to proportions. :(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Maybe because a GTR is like half the price of a Portofino?

Not a Nissan GTR, a Mercedes GT-R.

Once you add all the bits and bobs and the "Look at me, I'm a super car" green or yellow paint job, you're on the fun side of $200k.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

Not a Nissan GTR, a Mercedes GT-R.

Once you add all the bits and bobs and the "Look at me, I'm a super car" green or yellow paint job, you're on the fun side of $200k.

I see AMG GTs pretty often but have only seen 1 GT-R and it was of course in that green color. I've seen way more G550 4x4^2, which in retrospect turned out to be a good buy since you can't find them for much less than MSRP 2 years later. The GT seems to suffer from the typical AMG depreciation

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

incels interlinked posted:

I see AMG GTs pretty often but have only seen 1 GT-R and it was of course in that green color. I've seen way more G550 4x4^2, which in retrospect turned out to be a good buy since you can't find them for much less than MSRP 2 years later. The GT seems to suffer from the typical AMG depreciation

I was hoping the SLS AMG was gonna drop like a rock and be $30k everywhere by now :smith:

The cheapest ones are still 100 grand. Even SLR Mclarens bottomed out around $200k, stupid air conditioned fuel and all.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yep, kind of hoping I might be able to get into an SLS one day.

Now can we please get back to the much more serious problem of people buying trucks who don't even tow or haul.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Yep, kind of hoping I might be able to get into an SLS one day.

Now can we please get back to the much more serious problem of people buying trucks who don't even tow or haul.

That seems like something that should stay between you and your therapist.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Powershift posted:

I was hoping the SLS AMG was gonna drop like a rock and be $30k everywhere by now :smith:

The cheapest ones are still 100 grand. Even SLR Mclarens bottomed out around $200k, stupid air conditioned fuel and all.

Wait is this really a thing?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ihop posted:

quote:

HOW MUCH IS A SERVICE ON A SLR. I was told that a A service is about 4,000 to 5,500 about 25 hours is that RIGHT a B service is about 7,500 to 8,500 about 33 hours. and at 4 years it could be as much as 15,000 to 20,000 50-60 hours and that is just for spark plugs and fuel filter + service. and it will take about 3 weeks to do. thay say that thay have to remove the engine and transmission for the spark plugs and the gas tank to replace the fuel filter. what the HELL am i missing anything. why so much

quote:

Service is stupid money.It's like they see you coming.1st service on the 722 was around 5k.
i had rear rotors and pads replaced under warranty.Guess how much? 35k in parts before labour and taxes. Absolute theft

quote:

The reason why its so much money is because its labor intensive. I've done services on these cars. Have not done a major service on one yet, but the motor does have to come out to do spark plugs, or any components on top of the motor. I have pulled the fuel tanks on one and its about 9 hours of work. The under body has over 140 bolts that hold the under paneling in place, they are all bolted into the carbon fiber body so no power or air tools allowed. And all have to be torqued because the under body is part on the vehicles frame structure.

Just an oil change alone will easily take 2-3 hours.

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 6, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ihop posted:

Having a hell of a time finding it, but year, the SLR Mclaren routes the fuel lines through the HVAC system to cool the fuel for more power. If you start smelling gas in the cabin, basically the entire front end of the car has to come off.

This is a whole different problem, because the fuel tank is actually 2 fuel tanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaENg8Nziiw

In many ways, it's a terrible car and i want one so loving bad

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think I remember reading that they cooled the fuel because the SLS ran so hot that it would have a tendency to vapor lock after being parked for a while; especially in warm climates.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Fuel cooling on return systems isn't that uncommon on super high injection rate vehicles. Doesn't the Dodge Demon also cool the fuel on 100 octane mode?

Edit: phone posting grammar

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 6, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

Is the Cayman GT4 the car that punches out it's shock towers if you look at a pothole the wrong way?

I can't get over the way the rear door line interacts with the wheel arch.

It breaks the car for me.

Don't look at it, don't think about it, just pretend it isn't happening. What's even happening there? did the door guy not talk to the wheel arch guy?

I don't follow Porsche much but I'd rather have a mid engine than a rear engine?

Also that's not the new Mazda 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Charles posted:

I don't follow Porsche much but I'd rather have a mid engine than a rear engine?

Also that's not the new Mazda 3.

All modern cars look the same to me.

and yeah, the Cayman GT4 is an idiot car for idiots