Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

rapeface posted:

The famous guest star has to be the bad guy is such a known trope that even Family Guy did a bit about it.

It's not just Family Guy, that joke is everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I'm still very much enjoying it, its just that a good sitcom for me is just not something I'm gonna talk a lot about. I watched Brooklyn 99, AP Bio, Superstore, and What We Do In The Shadows last night and it was a fun hour and a half but then it was over. But that's all I really want from sitcoms. To make me laugh and amuse me in the moment.

Brooklyn 99, AP Bio, and Superstore are all really solid. I don't understand why NBC is the only network channel that seems to be able to consistently produce good to great sitcoms.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Brooklyn 99, AP Bio, and Superstore are all really solid. I don't understand why NBC is the only network channel that seems to be able to consistently produce good to great sitcoms.
For real. You can spot a CBS sitcom (Chuck Lorre-esque drivel) or an ABC sitcom (inoffensive pap aiming for a rating of TV-Prenatal) by type, but the overarching theme for NBC comedy seems to be, “Is Actually Funny.”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Imagining some bland as hell cookie cutter sorority girl ragging on terry crews looks is really really funny to me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Imagining some bland as hell cookie cutter sorority girl ragging on terry crews looks is really really funny to me.

What was funny to me was that it was working. They instantly got in his head.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's not just Family Guy, that joke is everywhere.

It's so common that it's even easy to misread a post that implies that.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

pwn posted:

For real. You can spot a CBS sitcom (Chuck Lorre-esque drivel) or an ABC sitcom (inoffensive pap aiming for a rating of TV-Prenatal) by type, but the overarching theme for NBC comedy seems to be, “Is Actually Funny.”

I named three NBC sitcoms. It turns out that by watching sports on CBS and ABC....I get a healthy dose of commercials where they tend to stick some of their more appealing material. Doesn't take 30 seconds of horrible "jokes" along with a corny assdog laugh track to know what kind of shows they're airing.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Its like each Network has their own guy. Like NBC is "hey Michael Schur we need a new sitcom". Fox has Seth MacFarlane, CBS has Chuck Lorre, and ABC has Jonathan Groff.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

swickles posted:

Its like each Network has their own guy. Like NBC is "hey Michael Schur we need a new sitcom". Fox has Seth MacFarlane, CBS has Chuck Lorre, and ABC has Jonathan Groff.

True. I mean....Modern Family isn't bad.....but I've probably seen no more than ten to fifteen episodes. ABC also had Happy Endings which was pretty drat good before they decided to cancel it for no particular reason. Mostly everything they put out is just bland as all hell. And everything on CBS makes me cringe.

Thank god for cable.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

pwn posted:

To be fair, American television comedies have a long and storied tradition of adoring the drama of babies being born, and abhorring having to deal with them after they’ve arrived.

Except when they have to get into an Ivy League preschool or their WHOLE LIFE WILL BE RUINED.

Writers seem to really like that plot these last few years.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Modern Family isn't bad

But it makes me respect B99's commitment to keeping their characters consistent, in that their interests, allergies, backstories, number of siblings etc. don't change from episode to episode.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dr Christmas posted:

Except when they have to get into an Ivy League preschool or their WHOLE LIFE WILL BE RUINED.

Writers seem to really like that plot these last few years.

TV shows can’t really deal with anyone not upper middle class.

Like even shows premised on it rarely keep the premise alive

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The G Hive

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Does he hate Mondays?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
He distributes grain evenly among the working class!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Can't spell "Go gently caress Yourself" without "gently caress You".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's because they don't want their show to be all about money problems (and very possibly have never had money problems themselves)

pwn
May 27, 2004

Taear posted:

(and very possibly have never had money problems themselves)
Ding ding ding

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I had no idea why jake got mad because the whole food poisoning thing was such an obvious lie I didn't actually realize he believed it.

I really hope this is the last we see of gina.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Well there's no sugarcoating it: you're a terrible father.

My cousin Susan didn't know she could sing until her late 40s.

Mymla posted:

I really hope this is the last we see of gina.

:same:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Pretty lackluster episode, but I'll let it slide because last week's was one of my favorites yet.

Gotta agree, hope Gina doesn't come back for a while. At least the B and C plots were pretty goofy. Rosa being violently stubborn always gets a laugh out of me.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I enjoyed seeing Gina again, y’all haters :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CharlestheHammer posted:

Malcolm in the Middle usually came back to the point that they were poor. Though, I don't know how they afforded to send Francis to that military school.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Cojawfee posted:

Malcolm in the Middle usually came back to the point that they were poor. Though, I don't know how they afforded to send Francis to that military school.

Schools like that generally have ways of getting scholarships/earning your way through. They know kids like that generally have parents that can't afford it unless they do.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

pwn posted:

I enjoyed seeing Gina again, y’all haters :colbert:

Why? She's so ridiculous and random.
She's like the Janitor in Scrubs after around series 5. She started off good but got ridiculous and "too unreal" even in a mostly unreal setting.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Amy’s FOMOW was a seriously underrated part of the last episode

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

Why? She's so ridiculous and random.
She's like the Janitor in Scrubs after around series 5. She started off good but got ridiculous and "too unreal" even in a mostly unreal setting.

I think there's too much silliness in this sitcom also.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Whiz Palace posted:

But it makes me respect B99's commitment to keeping their characters consistent, in that their interests, allergies, backstories, number of siblings etc. don't change from episode to episode.

Oh...no question. There's a reason why B99 is a weekly watch for me and Modern Family has been a spotty show that I've seen less than 20 episodes of (despite being on the air for about a decade). I just mentioned that as far as non-NBC sitcoms go....Modern Family is pretty well done. And like I also said.....ABC hosed up when they canceled Happy Endings. Watch it if you can find the episodes. It was really good. Got about three seasons before the station got a new president and went back to laugh track garbage.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I mean...yea? I don't think that's a ridiculous statement.
Shows have an overall mood and it's not always balls to the wall insanity.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean Brooklyn 99 is ultimately a show that insanely silly and outside a handful of special episodes not terribly grounded

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ha you caught him tone isn't a thing, good job!

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Yeah, agreed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mamma Maglione!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

It may not be Halloween, but this Thursday, we're going HEISTING!!!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The man has spoken!

https://twitter.com/AndreBraugher/status/1126621531319164928

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

A Cinco De Mayo Heist does make as much sense as a Halloween Heist!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Ya braggy breeders

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Oh no, Bill.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
As your mentor, I command you to do it!

Buzz buzz, bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Holy poo poo, Scully!!!!!!