Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Eeyo posted:

Any recommendation for some flowers that would grow well on an East facing balcony? Something that won't mind only ~4-6 hours of direct sun a day.

I can't believe I didn't jump on this earlier.

If you're looking specially for color rather than flowers, there are a million varieties of Japanese Maple that will work for you. What size of plants are you looking for? Ground or pots? Any particular colors you like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Ya, a Japanese Maple could be a good choice although that depends on the size of the balcony.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

That’s interesting, but my problem would be getting a container big enough that I could keep out during the winter. I’ve already got a few pots, but they’re just terra cotta and I’d think they’d break once things start to freeze.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Eeyo posted:

That’s interesting, but my problem would be getting a container big enough that I could keep out during the winter. I’ve already got a few pots, but they’re just terra cotta and I’d think they’d break once things start to freeze.

Take your USDA zone and go two colder, tell us what that is and I can find you a few cultivars to look for. Then you’ll just need a frost resistant pot (heck, I think you could get an inexpensive plastic one if need be) and you’d be good to go.

Also, any particular colors you like?

ETA: If you keep them in pots, they'll stay small.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 3, 2019

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've been doing work around my grandpa's house since he liked having lots of plants and flowers. I've got a couple just sitting in basic pots but there's a lamb's ear that I'm willing to die for. Going to Lowes or Home Depot today to make a 1x1 planter box to dust off my woodworking chops and I'm actually pretty pumped for the project. Plants are neat.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Any ideas of how to eradicate large amounts of English ivy? It’s all up my tree-line for my driveway starting to grow around the trees.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just hack at it with a bow rake and pull up individual vines by hand. You can chop big vines at the base of trees and paint the stumps with gylphosate.

It's really not that much work, and area spraying is just going to leave dead vines everywhere.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I'm going to try to propagate my pothos. Do I need a rooting hormone or is it really as easy as cutting a piece with enough stem to bury an inch or so deep and heavily watering?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Just stick a cutting in a jar of water. They love it.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I just hack at it with a bow rake and pull up individual vines by hand. You can chop big vines at the base of trees and paint the stumps with gylphosate.

It's really not that much work, and area spraying is just going to leave dead vines everywhere.

I’d rather not spray, either. I’ll probably just end up cutting it and pulling it up by hand. It’ll be a pain in the butt, though. It’s everywhere.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I’d rather not spray, either. I’ll probably just end up cutting it and pulling it up by hand. It’ll be a pain in the butt, though. It’s everywhere.

I've got the same problem with wintercreeper. It might surprise you how much you can remove by hand. I can clear about ten square feet in an hour, which seems like a drop in a bucket but it adds up. I try to pull it in the early spring and fall, before / after deciduous plants have leaves, because the weather's nicer and it's easier to see.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

Take your USDA zone and go two colder, tell us what that is and I can find you a few cultivars to look for. Then you’ll just need a frost resistant pot (heck, I think you could get an inexpensive plastic one if need be) and you’d be good to go.

Also, any particular colors you like?

ETA: If you keep them in pots, they'll stay small.

I'm near chicago, so it'd be ~5-2 = 3. It's 3rd floor balcony so it would definitely get some cold winds in the winter.

I may not need another plant now anyway. I had cold stratified some partridge peas in April, and I put them in my container a few weeks ago, but I had given up since nothing popped up. It looks like I got something coming up now, so hopefully it's them and they just needed to be ignored a little!

I also impulse purchased some moonflower seeds, which may not work very well in a container, but I'll at least try.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I was wandering around the Home Depot garden section and saw a big section of rose bushes and couldnt stop thinking of that King of the Hill episode.

I call it a Ruby, My Dear. But I might as well call it Sendin Ya Home Cryin To Yo Momma.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am seeing little tiny brown and black ants on my tree now that it has lots of big leaves and I don’t know whether or not I should be concerned about this.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I. M. Gei posted:

I am seeing little tiny brown and black ants on my tree now that it has lots of big leaves and I don’t know whether or not I should be concerned about this.

Check the leaves for aphids. Ants on plants are often farming aphids.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

elgarbo posted:

Check the leaves for aphids. Ants on plants are often farming aphids.

So far the ants are the only bugs I’ve seen on the tree at all, but I’ll take a closer look today.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

You should not be; ants are all over high sugar fruiting trees and perennials like peonies all the time for that sweet sap and do no harm

Your posts in this thread really own to me bc the mounting enthusiasm reminds me of my own relatively recent change from sapling newbie into Plant Motherfucker

And from that perspective let me tell you that the best realization I ever had was that plants are mean as hell and will absolutely survive your bullshit as long as you give them a fighting chance in the beginning and you’ve done that

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I went through the same Tree Fretting when I planted a live oak way down in the property. Really wanted it to succeed even though we’re on the cusp of its preferred zone and just clay bullshit, no sand

Made it through multi-week floods, blizzards that made it touch the ground from frost accumulation, my own dropping down entire tree upon it accidentally. Doesn’t give a poo poo, easy three feet higher than when I put him in the ground two years ago

Plants are Raw imo

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Oil of Paris posted:

Your posts in this thread really own to me bc the mounting enthusiasm reminds me of my own relatively recent change from sapling newbie into Plant Motherfucker

Personally I prefer the term "Sap Daddy"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What started as buying a couple of little succulents has snowballed into a full on obsession and i probably need some help. but it's wonderful for my stress levels and I like coming home from class to see just how much more of my apartment my cucumber has claimed.

My mother, who can grow anything, is thrilled with my new hobby.

first off what is this?

My mother gave me him out of winter storage, thinking he's a Canna Lily. At this point we have no idea and think my dad mixed them up. Only time will tell?

Secondly, how good are those little bulb water things? That you fill with water and plant in the soil? I'm watering my plants twice a day, because it's miserable in tennessee already, but my god some of them just suck water down like it's nothing. The cuke and tomato plant I understand, but I got a baby gourd I grew from a vine that just chugs that poo poo.

I mean he's growing (I started him as a seed) and doesn't look water logged or anything so I guess it's going well but it just amazes me such a little plant could suck down so much water.

Also here's a couple other photos that are already outdated because I keep going to wal mart and buying poo poo.

https://twitter.com/FizFashizzle/status/1124091832865050626

I bought that Carolina Jasmine thinking he would take over my entire fence, but sadly I guess they take an entire season to get going.

oh and I get around 6 - 8 hours of light depending on how i move poo poo around. I face east pretty well.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 7, 2019

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

I bought that Carolina Jasmine thinking he would take over my entire fence, but sadly I guess they take an entire season to get going.

Yeah, big vines like that just need a year or so to establish their roots and build up energy. It will probably eat your fence next year.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Do you goons know what type of vine this is?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Do you goons know what type of vine this is?

Looks like it could be wintercreeper. Destroy with extreme prejudice if so.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wintercreeper was my thought too. I hate it.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Is that the same as Wintergreen? I was thinking of planting some Wintergreen in my shady under-tree areas since it's a good winter forage crop for local wildlife...

e: Brief research indicates "No", but damned if they don't look similar!

e2: And now I've realized I have a shitload of wintercreeper in my yard, too. The previous owners really loved planting invasive species, apparently...

Hubis fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 7, 2019

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Holy crap. The old folks who owned this house before sure did love their invasive plants.

Thanks for the help, goons.

A_Account
Nov 29, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
First time posting ITT

Is this dead?

It's meant to be an orchid.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Is that an offshoot that was strung up on the left long enough to turn into a mature plant, while still attached?

Anyway, the bottom certainly looks dead, but the left plant could probably be pruned off (can prune off the flower stalks that are done, too) and saved. I see roots that look green and healthy

A_Account
Nov 29, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is what I was thinking, hence me not throwing it out already. How do I go about pruning off the nice bits?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Separate the left good part from the bottom, then go about getting rid of all the dead pieces. It should be pretty self-evident; dead pieces will feel mushy/dry/hollow, live roots will be green and not mushy/dry/hollow.

You can also get rid of the old flower stalk even though it's still green, because you want the plant to be focusing on building roots at the moment, not flowering.

The only wild card, and something I don't know, will be if those 'air roots' (which are used to being suspended in the air) will be happy if you plant them in the normal way in an orchid mix. Up to you if you want to do a bunch of reading or youtubing to investigate suspended/air orchid maintenance, or just plant it like the original one and hope for the best.

A_Account
Nov 29, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nosre posted:

Separate the left good part from the bottom, then go about getting rid of all the dead pieces. It should be pretty self-evident; dead pieces will feel mushy/dry/hollow, live roots will be green and not mushy/dry/hollow.

You can also get rid of the old flower stalk even though it's still green, because you want the plant to be focusing on building roots at the moment, not flowering.

The only wild card, and something I don't know, will be if those 'air roots' (which are used to being suspended in the air) will be happy if you plant them in the normal way in an orchid mix. Up to you if you want to do a bunch of reading or youtubing to investigate suspended/air orchid maintenance, or just plant it like the original one and hope for the best.

I cut away all of the obviously dead stuff. What do you think?

The roots are barely in there, I took some advice from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_qsadrDZPA

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

A_Account posted:

I cut away all of the obviously dead stuff. What do you think?

The roots are barely in there, I took some advice from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_qsadrDZPA

Looks good to me. Hopefully it will revive a bit.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Looks pretty good from here, that video gives you way more detail for this situation than we can over posts. It even mentions the aerial root -> potting medium transition.

Only notes are that the usual recommendation is clear pots, and the mix you're using looks pretty heavy (lots of fine particles which potentially retain too much water)

A_Account
Nov 29, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nosre posted:

Looks pretty good from here, that video gives you way more detail for this situation than we can over posts. It even mentions the aerial root -> potting medium transition.

Only notes are that the usual recommendation is clear pots, and the mix you're using looks pretty heavy (lots of fine particles which potentially retain too much water)

Most of it is rough compost but there's a fair bit of your typical stuff in there from when I repotted it. Should I space out watering even more to once every two weeks or even less?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

If that's regular compost I'd redo it, if it was me. Orchids want specialty mixes with big chunks - notice that youtuber doesn't even use brown matter at all, just clay pebbles.

If you don't have something like that on hand, you can take what you've got, put it in a strainer and blast it with water to get rid of all the fine stuff

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Holy crap. The old folks who owned this house before sure did love their invasive plants.

They seem to love me. Year before last my back neighbour accidentally planted dog-strangling vine, my north neighbour deliberately grows mint in the ground next to the fence, the previous owner planted mahogany bugleweed for some reason... spring is a very diggy time for me.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Most houseplant orchids are epiphytes that grow on trees. They don't even need "soil" in the traditional sense -- just a nice place to hang out that mimics the conditions of the side of a tree.

Speaking of epiphytes, I recently mounted a staghorn fern on an old wooden plaque from the thrift store. I'm gonna try to do this with some of my orchids too, because it looks really cool hanging from my plant shelf..

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think my tree is producing flower buds. :neckbeard:

There’s little green circles at the bases of the leaves that are turning deep red and getting bigger.

It’s fun to watch the miracle of life at work.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Speaking of epiphytes, I recently mounted a staghorn fern on an old wooden plaque from the thrift store. I'm gonna try to do this with some of my orchids too, because it looks really cool hanging from my plant shelf..

That’s pretty cool. Post some pics. Staghorn ferns are so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I think my tree is producing flower buds. :neckbeard:

There’s little green circles at the bases of the leaves that are turning deep red and getting bigger.

It’s fun to watch the miracle of life at work.

Pics

Hard to believe this thing was a bare stick when I planted it. Also when I went outside to take these, there was a kitty lying right next to the tree as if guarding it. :3:

(The stakes will come off in a week or two, I promise)