Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Deakul posted:

So, I want to get into this but I'm... almost afraid to hop online after trying to get through the tutorial.

Just how important is all of the stuff in the tutorial to have fun with the game?

Some of it is pretty useful and will give you an edge, like feinting or combos. Past that, I jumped into the Frontline servers and just started learning by playing. Most of the Frontline fights tend to be giant clusterfucks so don't worry too much about performance. Just try to be smart, remember your positioning, and try to improve with each death/fight. There are plenty of people just running forward and spamming the left click button so you will learn by blocking and countering them. When you see someone who knows what they are doing, fight them or fight alongside them and just watch how they approach things.

All in all, just go in swinging and don't get frustrated cause sometimes that halberd is going to go straight into your face, or a catapult rock is going to dome you randomly. Hell, I had an epic back and forth with some gaudy knight last night with all the footplay and parrying/countering I could muster, only to kick him back just in time for a ballista shot to pin me to the ground for all my effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Exodee posted:

That's what the dagger is for. ;) Alternatively just stick with sword stabs if you're not sure.

But yea the mace is pretty decent as well, since it two-shots everything I believe. I'd say its pretty hard to use though, since it's both slow and short ranged, but if it works for you then by all means

Everything is hard to use to me, I have like 30 hours in chivalry and 6 in Mordhau, and I'm playing against people that probably have several hundreds, or at least feels like it :v: short range tends not to be a problem since I just run towards people swinging it overhead and screaming like a madman

I think most gamemodes are a bit too frantic to actually learn the game, but every death helps, every kill helps and it's still very very fun. I saw a guy looking at me, not coming near, not attacking. I stared at him too, started flourishing my weapon, he started crouching repeatedly, I made the throat slash emote - and then a teammate of mine got behind him and kicked the poo poo out of him :D

My top three wishes:
- more maps
- official duel mode/game type where you get matched with people of similar skill
- do not have team blue and team red in a game where half the players are covered in red blood, I chopped down quite a few bloodied teammates

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
yall should watch this
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/420496119?t=40m45s

Deakul posted:

So, I want to get into this but I'm... almost afraid to hop online after trying to get through the tutorial.

Just how important is all of the stuff in the tutorial to have fun with the game?

next post: why can't I hit anyone?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

One thing I'd recommend early on is finding yourself a small server. Doesn't even have to be a dedicated Duel server, just something that's like 12 players or fewer. It's generally less frustrating if you've got some time to actually see what's going on without getting immediately steamrolled by half a dozen people the moment you turn around. Besides, it also tends to be a way more chill atmosphere, letting you shoot the poo poo with the others and do dumb stuff.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
After spending all morning on my Bear Trapper I have come to know that a lot of people skip leg day.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deakul posted:

well, to put it one way, if you are on a non duel server then essentially nobody does an underhand attack for some reason

like there are entire attacks that get straight up ignored

so if you absorbed a good bit of the tutorial you'll probably be fine

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Perestroika posted:

One thing I'd recommend early on is finding yourself a small server. Doesn't even have to be a dedicated Duel server, just something that's like 12 players or fewer. It's generally less frustrating if you've got some time to actually see what's going on without getting immediately steamrolled by half a dozen people the moment you turn around. Besides, it also tends to be a way more chill atmosphere, letting you shoot the poo poo with the others and do dumb stuff.

this is very good advice

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Deakul posted:

The tutorial basically teaches you everything you can do and how to do it.

Almost none of it is actually used in the game proper, it usually devolves into various adjustments of your swinging sword and parrying. You can technically chamber, kick, blah blah blah, but even the MLG superstars don't exactly do it often/ever. Not because it isn't useful, just that it's awkward and dangerous.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Note to self: if you see a guy named "Jax" in the opposite team, just walk the gently caress away. Jesus.

Perestroika posted:

Also seconding this advice. Just basic Free-for-all with 12 people is nice and chill (insofar as a game about bloody axe murders can be) and there's usually some amusing gimmick fuckery going on.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 5, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Nordick posted:

Note to self: if you see a guy named "Jax" in the opposite team, just walk the gently caress away. Jesus.

I'm torn between wanting to be that good and uninstalling. I like when he dives into 4, its like a movie with lovely henchmen. 19-0 gadamn o_O

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Alright, so it has a decent entry level difficulty and a high skill ceiling should I want to get even better, good to know.
I'll give it a shot.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Perestroika posted:

I tried a small server, it ended up in a team deatmatch: me (lvl3), a level 1 and a level 4 vs 3 level 20+

it was not less frustrating, at all :v:

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Some dude refereeing a duel server.
https://v.redd.it/k84qdlgo0ew21

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Stokes posted:

Some dude refereeing a duel server.
https://v.redd.it/k84qdlgo0ew21

This is awesome :D had a short jaunt in a deathmatch-duel server, it's pretty fun, but most people are waaaay over my skill level. Still wishing for an official duel mode with proper matchmaking.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

TorakFade posted:

I tried a small server, it ended up in a team deatmatch: me (lvl3), a level 1 and a level 4 vs 3 level 20+

it was not less frustrating, at all :v:

Just go to the Local Match tab and set up a match against bots. They aren't as devious as human players, but they aren't complete pushovers either. It's a good way to get the basics down.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

The tutorial basically teaches you everything you can do and how to do it.

Almost none of it is actually used in the game proper, it usually devolves into various adjustments of your swinging sword and parrying. You can technically chamber, kick, blah blah blah, but even the MLG superstars don't exactly do it often/ever. Not because it isn't useful, just that it's awkward and dangerous.

Yeah, chambering is cool and all, but most of the time it just gives you a fairly minor speed advantage over a regular riposte while being riskier and costing more stamina. So far I mostly use chambering against thursts, since that animation tends to be fairly difficult to read for the enemy, and you seem to suffer less knockback so you can close distance easier. Besides, the sparking looks cool. As for that move where you deflect an attack with the actual swing of your own weapon, that happens for me 100% by accident and never on purpose. :v:

But yeah, the vast majority of the fights I do win "properly" (i.e. by not just chunking a fool in the back of the head :v:) have fairly little to do with chambering, dragging, pulling, or somesuch stuff. Instead, for me it's pretty much all about playing footsies and controlling distance. Forcing your opponent to miss is often the best thing you can do defensively, because that's a guaranteed hit right there, whereas both ripostes and chambers usually still allow them the opportunity to parry. Besides, having some dude's greatsword whistle by an inch in front of your face before stabbing them right in the throat is the smuggest feeling.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
The tiny baby man's sword, the rapier, is dumb and the weapon of fancy lad cowards. This delicate little thing should do no damage to armor.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Comrayn posted:

The tiny baby man's sword, the rapier, is dumb and the weapon of fancy lad cowards. This delicate little thing should do no damage to armor.

:yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erZ1YSa7m5I

:gibs: :black101: :gonk:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, chambering is cool and all, but most of the time it just gives you a fairly minor speed advantage over a regular riposte while being riskier and costing more stamina. So far I mostly use chambering against thursts, since that animation tends to be fairly difficult to read for the enemy, and you seem to suffer less knockback so you can close distance easier. Besides, the sparking looks cool. As for that move where you deflect an attack with the actual swing of your own weapon, that happens for me 100% by accident and never on purpose. :v:

But yeah, the vast majority of the fights I do win "properly" (i.e. by not just chunking a fool in the back of the head :v:) have fairly little to do with chambering, dragging, pulling, or somesuch stuff. Instead, for me it's pretty much all about playing footsies and controlling distance. Forcing your opponent to miss is often the best thing you can do defensively, because that's a guaranteed hit right there, whereas both ripostes and chambers usually still allow them the opportunity to parry. Besides, having some dude's greatsword whistle by an inch in front of your face before stabbing them right in the throat is the smuggest feeling.

The big advantage of chambering is that it's actually less risky than parrying if your enemy is doing morphs or feints. If the enemy cancels their attack, your attempted chamber turns onto a regular attack instead of a whiffed parry, and since you started your attack first it'll beat out any of the enemy's followups to their feint.
At least in theory. I'm a bad so I'm definitely not doing it consistently or really at all.

On the subject of spacing and forcing misses, the dodge perk is fantastic for this. Get yourself a nice polearm and you can stab nerds all day while dodging back out of their swings.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Every chamber I've done has been on accident.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Comrayn posted:

I'm having so much fun running around with no armor, a rapier, and a shield. People are bad at remembering to kick while you get quick jabs in and kill them before sprinting off again.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

This clip is so encouraging. This guy is just demolishing everyone that comes near him, but he's doing it in a way that is completely attainable with practice and a desire to get better. He's not doing anything crazy that requires super human reaction time or ludicrously high mouse sensitivity, he just knows what to do and when to do it. No wasted button presses on his side, versus everyone he's fighting against panic-parrying and mashing the LMB hoping for a lucky hit.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the rapier is legit a little tiny bit busted right now in that it's got a really fast stab startup and ALSO a really fast stab recovery (hence why stab spam is so popular and effective now that people are learning to block and dodge zweihanders) but that also kind of fits the themes and mythology of the weapon itself so I don't super duper care.

I need to make a sick frag video of my staff work, it's the only weapon I'm good at anymore lol

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Made a dedicated Mordhau server for goons, but you can invite all your friends. It's a cleaner set up without 200 channels that you have to individually mute and collapse to scroll down 2 pages to join the voice channel. Join it if you want, or shitpost me if you don't.

https://discord.gg/2RC8UmG

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 5, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm going to join and shitpost you anyway

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Beyond being highly entertaining, this video just taught me I need to to feint way more.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
What is the feint he keeps doing over and over ending in the face thrusts?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Diogines posted:

Beyond being highly entertaining, this video just taught me I need to to feint way more.

I notice that a lot of people tend to keep attacking constantly when they're in range, so it seems I never get a chance to feint and when I do, I get a faceful of steel because the other guy instead of thinking about parrying my blow is already trying to attack in the hopes he will be quicker or in more favorable range.

It's probably me sucking at timing stuff, though. It's just frustrating that whenever I try something that is not a basic attack (feints, morphs, dodges), I get pummeled and die :smith: so it feels "best" and safest to just spam LMB with varying angles, which is of course mostly ineffective against experienced players and, until I learn ranges, cooldowns and speed of weapons, also isn't that hot against opponents closer to my own skill. The short time in a duel server gave me much more satisfaction on that, when you're 1vs1 without tons of people trying to meddle you do have more time and space to do more fancy things

Anyway, how do you deal with hyperaggressive facehuggers with warhammers or similar fast 1handers that keep constantly spamming basic attacks and running circles around you?

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
drat I gotta buy this game when I get home, I've been playing chivalry since the source mod. So much fun to play with friends.

E: gently caress maybe not. only got 1.5 gigs of dedicated VRAM, minimum is 2

Pookum fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 5, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Diogines posted:

Yeah I have no clue how the guy in that video is managing to chain multiple attacks together in fights without getting parried on the first hit and then stuffed by a riposte.
The best I can do is attack once and then get blocked and forced onto the defensive.
I guess the main thing is just throwing out enough feints and having good enough spacing/movmement that most of his hits don't get parried in the first place.

TorakFade posted:

Anyway, how do you deal with hyperaggressive facehuggers with warhammers or similar fast 1handers that keep constantly spamming basic attacks and running circles around you?

Ripostes can't be interrupted by melee hits so they force those super aggressive guys to either stop their aggression and block or trade a hit with you.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Midgetskydiver posted:

What is the feint he keeps doing over and over ending in the face thrusts?

Morph. Its a 'soft' feint from a strike (slashing) to a stab, or from a stab to a strike. You do a strike, then immediately do a stab, and your attack with begin with the wind up animation for a strike then come out as a stab.

This is much faster than doing a strike, pressing the feint key, then doing a stab. That would be a 'hard' feint.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I'm a baby that cares about customization a lot, so I have two questions: 1) can you play as a woman and 2) how extensive are the customization options for your character? I usually prefer to play women but if I can't, I at least want to make some pompous looking dude with the best beard in town. If I'm gonna suck at this the way I sucked at Planetside 2 and Chivalry (so far my track record with giant battle games is bad) I at least want to look fun.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Facehugging rapiers are horseshit. I can chamber their stabs if I'm lucky, but they can still block afterwards. Needs to be a stamina cost to being chambered to be honest.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 5, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Ritznit posted:

I'm a baby that cares about customization a lot, so I have two questions: 1) can you play as a woman and 2) how extensive are the customization options for your character? I usually prefer to play women but if I can't, I at least want to make some pompous looking dude with the best beard in town. If I'm gonna suck at this the way I sucked at Planetside 2 and Chivalry (so far my track record with giant battle games is bad) I at least want to look fun.

not yet but later

it's kinda shallow ultimately but you can get some nice facial hair

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Excellent! So pompus beard man now, beefy lady later. Got it.

Does it cost currency of any kind, in-game or monetization nonsense, to customize? Can you freely pick colors for all your parts?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ritznit posted:

Excellent! So pompus beard man now, beefy lady later. Got it.

Does it cost currency of any kind, in-game or monetization nonsense, to customize? Can you freely pick colors for all your parts?

You have some free pieces, but the rest cost gold and some are level restricted. You accumulate gold and XP every match. There are a bunch of default classes to play around with, though.

Some of the colours are level restricted, too, but team matches override those anyway unless you disable it, making it difficult to discern who's who.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 5, 2019

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

School Nickname posted:

Rapiers are horseshit, I can chamber their stabs but they can still block afterwards.
You've got to morph your chamber into a slash. People can't help but parry reflexively if you chamber them, so that'll get them every time. (And yes, I've only learned that just now by watching the twitch video linked on this page :v:)

Ritznit posted:

There's an in-game currency, though it's not too bad until you get to the really exotic cosmetics. As for the customization options, hopefully this screenshot of the customization menu gives you a good idea:

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
That's fine, as long as it's accessible by playing the game in a reasonable way, not by either dropping lots of real cash or poopsocking.

I think I'll give this a go once I put my new graphics card in.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gamerofthegame posted:

not yet but later

it's kinda shallow ultimately but you can get some nice facial hair

BRIENNES OF TARTH ONLY — NO NOOBS — DUELZ 24/7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ritznit posted:

That's fine, as long as it's accessible by playing the game in a reasonable way, not by either dropping lots of real cash or poopsocking.

I think I'll give this a go once I put my new graphics card in.

The only thing that matters for armor stats is whether it's light, medium, or heavy, and you start the game with simple armor pieces of each tier already unlocked. Every weapon will be unlocked by level 5 or 6, and they are really cheap to buy once they're unlocked. It's when you get to customizing them that they get expensive but that's all cosmetic. Perks are all unlocked immediately and free, just have to make space for them in your build.

Pretty Princess is the only thing you gotta' get levels and lots of money for, and the "grind" isn't too bad. I'm level 20 after a week, and I don't even play every night and spend a lot of time in duel servers which gives you less money and XP per time invested than say frontline or skirmish. By level 30 you'll have all of the armor unlocked I think, and then after that it's stuff like metal tints for gold and black, special colors like rich purple, and there's one or two icons/symbols all the way up at 100 or so.

All the actual game mechanics stuff is cheap and fast to unlock. I don't think you even CAN spend real money on the game other than buying the supporter pack which just gets you a cosmetic necklace.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 6, 2019