Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I can't seem to make Barnas spawn. I've talked to Lod, I've got the fresh meat, and when I go to the map marker nothing happens. I can't find him anywhere along the roads. Apparently a common cause for this is having an active radiant quest in one or both of the related caves, but I don't have any for either of them

have any of you had this problem and found a way to solve it? I don't know how to force it without breaking everything

I tried to use player.moveto [Barbas REFID] but it just brought me to Haemar's shame and he wasn't there, though his statue was (Vile+Barbas)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Maybe just placeatme instead. Or advance the quest so you don't have to talk to that stupid loving dog

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

placeatme sadly just creates another instance of Barbas, disconnected from the quest

skipping over quest stages locks you out of getting Vile's Mask, you'll just be stuck with the Rueful Axe instead and that's not what I'm looking for

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

ThaumPenguin posted:

placeatme sadly just creates another instance of Barbas, disconnected from the quest

skipping over quest stages locks you out of getting Vile's Mask, you'll just be stuck with the Rueful Axe instead and that's not what I'm looking for

i just read that some people have had luck resetting the quest.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I got the Enderal total conversion mod. I have never played a total conversion mod before. I am a couple of hours in and it seems pretty good and it's got great steam reviews but I have a limited amount of gaming time per week. Is it worth sticking with it if I am enjoying it so far. I just don't want to get 20 hours in and realize it's not worth continuing.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

you should stick with it for scientific purposes and report back imo. I personally shy away from anything like that because I'm a coward

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Enderal is great. Some of the scripted story things run a bit too long in terms of having the player stand around and listen but overall it was quite interesting. The sexual relationship with your follower of choice is a bit cringe worthy but the follower I went with (the girl) was well voice acted enough and the writing was overall very good, so I could accept it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Enderal is incredibly impressive. the main plot never really gets as clever as it thinks it is or transcends being a Mass Effect ripoff, but the whole package is more than enough to carry it and the moment by moment storytelling is good enough that I was actually a bit tearful at the end, which I absolutely did not expect

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

D-Pad posted:

So I got the Enderal total conversion mod. I have never played a total conversion mod before. I am a couple of hours in and it seems pretty good and it's got great steam reviews but I have a limited amount of gaming time per week. Is it worth sticking with it if I am enjoying it so far. I just don't want to get 20 hours in and realize it's not worth continuing.

Yeah, its def worthwhile. Way better than the original campaign.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Wow. I haven't seriously played Skyrim in years, at most I'd load up my rickety-rear end unstable oldrim install a couple times a year, play for a couple hours, and then not touch it again for months. Over the last week, I read the last couple of months of this thread, and finally decided to try out SE. Based on what I saw in here, I followed the tuco guide (holy poo poo this took me forever), and loaded up on every single one of Enai's mods. I'd played with apocalypse before, and heard of ordinator, but I didn't realize they were made by the same person who also had so many other mods.

It's like a whole new game, I'm super impressed. It looks downright beautiful, and the RP value and amount of weird character build stuff Enai's mods allow is insane. I can't believe it's 2019 and I'm excited to play Skyrim again. So thanks for the recommendations!

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
The followers in Enderal aren't really that. They only go with you on some quests, and only really for their own story, or sometimes the main story. It's an odd choice, but makes the game more difficult. Unfortunately the game bugged out for me on starting the last quest, and I could never recover, so i uninstalled. It was a pretty quality experience until that though. The story was truly exceptional in parts.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

So I found a fun thing about a combination of Imperious and Thunderchild.

Imperious gives Argonians a racial passive where when they dip below 20% of magicka, stamina, or health, they start to regenerate in order to get back to at least 20%. Thunderchild has the meditation mechanic where you have to meditate until your stamina gets below 20% to learn a new shout. Combining all that and the way the damage to stamina from meditation ticks, Argonians can't dip below 1 stamina. So you never fail at meditating unless you stop early.

It works the same for Wintersun Faiths when you worship Mehrunes Dagon. You can't dip below 1 magicka, so you'll always succeed as long as you wait long enough.

Once again, Argonians are number 1 no. 1 #1

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Peachy Poo posted:

Wow. I haven't seriously played Skyrim in years, at most I'd load up my rickety-rear end unstable oldrim install a couple times a year, play for a couple hours, and then not touch it again for months. Over the last week, I read the last couple of months of this thread, and finally decided to try out SE. Based on what I saw in here, I followed the tuco guide (holy poo poo this took me forever), and loaded up on every single one of Enai's mods. I'd played with apocalypse before, and heard of ordinator, but I didn't realize they were made by the same person who also had so many other mods.

It's like a whole new game, I'm super impressed. It looks downright beautiful, and the RP value and amount of weird character build stuff Enai's mods allow is insane. I can't believe it's 2019 and I'm excited to play Skyrim again. So thanks for the recommendations!

I sort of hate myself for opening this thread because I read this and now I'm interested in doing the same thing. Is this what you're talking about with Tuco's guide?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Peachy Poo posted:

I decided to try out Enai's mods but I couldn't get them to work for the life of me. Spent forever trying to figure it out. Eventually I realize I downloaded them all for Oldrim.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
So is SE where it's at now or is there some way to make Oldrim look like SE? I just have the original and Hearthfire, so SE could still be worth a buy, but I dunno if I wanna plonk down 40 euros for it.

If Oldrim is obsolete I'll probably wait for a sale

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mangoose posted:

So is SE where it's at now or is there some way to make Oldrim look like SE? I just have the original and Hearthfire, so SE could still be worth a buy, but I dunno if I wanna plonk down 40 euros for it.

If Oldrim is obsolete I'll probably wait for a sale

Are you sure you don’t already have it?

(Not trying to be an rear end in a top hat: I didn’t realize SE was even a thing until I noticed it in my Steam library one day and I know for a fact I didn’t re-buy it.)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schadenboner posted:

(Not trying to be an rear end in a top hat: I didn’t realize SE was even a thing until I noticed it in my Steam library one day and I know for a fact I didn’t re-buy it.)

I think they gave it out for free if you owned Oldrim and the DLC.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

It just says "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" in the Library and when I click the store page link I get this message: "Notice: At the request of the publisher, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is unlisted on the Steam store and will not appear in search." I also can't buy any DLC there.

The special edition has its own page.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think you needed to have all the dlc to get a free copy of SE.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

remusclaw posted:

Yeah, that's probably it, I got the original game in 2012 and all the DLC on the same day in 2014 (so I'm guessing there was a three-in-one pack or something?).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The original edition stuff that's still getting updated now do require all DLCs, so yeah, wait for a sale and go for SE.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah, that's probably it, I got the original game in 2012 and all the DLC on the same day in 2014 (so I'm guessing there was a three-in-one pack or something?).

If you don't have the expansions you should probably plunk down for the SE anyways, most of the big mods require the expansions

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

remusclaw posted:

yeah, this confused me for a while because I had all the DLC but Hearthfire and I figured "I'll pick it up in a sale and that'll upgrade me to SE" but it was only a limited time offer apparently for... whatever reason.

Stayed on the fence for years but SE is 100% worth the upgrade, please value your short time on this earth and get it

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Instead of waiting to get SE on a sale you can also just get a key for oldrim legendary edition for :10bux: here:

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/the-elder-scrolls-v-5-skyrim-legendary-edition-pc

I was in the exact same boat a few months ago and went this route when I was getting back into Skyrim and wanted to do some more serious modding. It's cheap and easy and picking SE over oldrim for modding isn't exactly a slam dunk like some make it out to be.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

timn posted:

picking SE over oldrim for modding isn't exactly a slam dunk like some make it out to be.

I'm honestly curious what you feel Oldrim brings to the table in 2019 that makes it worth picking it over the Special Edition and the increased performance & stability that comes with it.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Not to say that SE doesn't bring great stuff to the table with the improved engine, I just don't think it's necessarily the obvious choice depending on your circumstances:

- Waiting for a sale or buying full price SE vs. just getting the DLC now for cheap
- YMMV but I personally use a number of mods that don't exist for SE
- Mangoose specifically mentioned visuals, for which mods with either version totally eclipse vanilla SE's pretty paltry enhancements
- With good modding practices I think the potential for stability issues on oldrim is a little bit overstated

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I still use oldrim because I play on an old lovely computer that won't run SE, but I'm curious what important mods still haven't been ported.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
That's going to be pretty subjective. I don't have access to my list right now, but just off the top of my head the MCM add-on for Inigo doesn't exist, my preferred ENB preset doesn't exist, several small QoL mods or other niche tweaks I use don't exist, etc.

Realistically, if you already have SE and aren't previously invested in modding oldrim then it's almost definitely the right choice. Otherwise I think it's fuzzier because the cost of entry for SE is higher and you're getting a very comparable experience at the end of the day.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I still use oldrim because I play on an old lovely computer that won't run SE, but I'm curious what important mods still haven't been ported.
honestly I think Familiar Faces and Enhanced Camera are the only ones. FF isn't really "essential" and is on the way Soon, and I think Enhanced Camera is being worked on too

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The stability guaranteed by SE is worth more than anything lol are you kidding me

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

KakerMix posted:

The stability guaranteed by SE is worth more than anything lol are you kidding me

Unfortunately, this is my experience right now. I have a new machine, and there's so much god drat jank that I never had problems with on my old computer. Like, the water is constantly flickering, there's tons more physics-related problems and I can't alt-tab. Tried running it in windowed, but the god drat thing won't run borderless. It hasn't crashed, but this is just what I noticed over an hour playing, so I'll probably run into more issues if I keep playing.

I'm sure I can fix most if not all of these things with mods but at the end of the day it just feels like too much work. I'll probably wait for SE to go on sale, it should be at least 50% in the summer sale, probably 75%. That's close enough to the :tenbux: for the Legendary Edition.

Thanks for all the answers!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
IIRC a lot of the time, the water flickering/physics issues can be fixed by capping your game to 60 fps. If you've already done that, maybe not, though.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Crumbletron posted:

IIRC a lot of the time, the water flickering/physics issues can be fixed by capping your game to 60 fps. If you've already done that, maybe not, though.

Ah, good point. I had even more issues forcing it to run at 4k, including (but not limited to) a constant "LEVEL UP" text for some god drat reason so I took it down to 1080p pretty quickly.

Does SE support 60+ fps and 4k?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

KakerMix posted:

YMMV :shrug: The only time I had major issues in oldrim was when I was blatantly putting loads of mods in and tearing them back out without rolling back my saves. I don't disgree that stability is really important.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

timn posted:

YMMV :shrug: The only time I had major issues in oldrim was when I was blatantly putting loads of mods in and tearing them back out without rolling back my saves. I don't disgree that stability is really important.

I'm a vanilla person and unless I have to fix something in the game I generally don't install mods. I had literally 0 problems with oldrim on my old rig. It's all this new-fangled hardware messing things up :bahgawd:

This would've been an exception to the lazy no-modding rule because I didn't really want to pay again for a game I already bought just to get some loving god rays.

Anyway, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm missing every DLC except Hearthfire I'd probably put more time into "fixing" the old version, but if there's a greater chance of official support (or at least better compatibility) for SE I'd rather buy that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Been playing this in VR. This game used to bore the poo poo out of me, now it's the most enthralling, amazing thing on this planet Earth.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Other than the opening to the thieves guild quests (the thing that Brynolf is selling was "Falmer blood elixir") are there any mentions of Falmer where replacing them with rat men (literally Skaven) would be weird, visually or story-wise?

And even then, the Skaven and the Falmer can still be different things, just the Falmer are never seen?

:shrug:

E: Oh poo poo, they actually made a Skaven video game?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The only thing I've found disappointing about SE and mods so far is that RaceMenu's sculpting mode is disabled, which was a godsend in Oldrim for creating characters that didn't look like angular nightmares. So hopping back and forth between games and exporting/importing poo poo between them has been tedious and experimental, but I'm consistently blown away at how much better looking and stable SE is over LE.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mangoose posted:

I'm a vanilla person and unless I have to fix something in the game I generally don't install mods. I had literally 0 problems with oldrim on my old rig. It's all this new-fangled hardware messing things up :bahgawd:

This would've been an exception to the lazy no-modding rule because I didn't really want to pay again for a game I already bought just to get some loving god rays.

Anyway, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm missing every DLC except Hearthfire I'd probably put more time into "fixing" the old version, but if there's a greater chance of official support (or at least better compatibility) for SE I'd rather buy that.

The Dragonborn DLC is cool and good, the main plot of Dawnguard is whatever, but it adds cool things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah, this confused me for a while because I had all the DLC but Hearthfire and I figured "I'll pick it up in a sale and that'll upgrade me to SE" but it was only a limited time offer apparently for... whatever reason.

Stayed on the fence for years but SE is 100% worth the upgrade, please value your short time on this earth and get it

Yep, I missed the 'free SE upgrade'. I bought dawnguard a week too late.

Still ended up buying it anyway. Worth.