Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zakharov posted:

Black cat gang assemble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
That's clearly a tuxedo but I'll allow it this time.....

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Crowley is in kidney failure. He is on his way to taking the long nap.

So long, my furry friend.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Aw man I'm so sorry, I know you did everything you could to help him and it sucks that it's ending this way. You gave him a great life and you're making the end as peaceful as it can. He sounds like a great cat.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

zakharov posted:

Black cat gang assemble

She's back to peeing in the box like nothing happened btw, silly cat.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Protocol7 posted:

What a handsome kitty. Ours had kidney failure in the end, letting her sleep was definitely the best decision as much as it sucks for us. Rest well Crowley!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Protocol7 posted:

I'm so sorry. You did all you could.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Man, all this stuff is just reminding me I haven't yelled at my cats to make their kidneys stronger in a while. STRONGER! Maybe I'll give em a good kidney massage too.

Sorry for yalls loses.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Thank you all. I’m very sad and crying a lot for obvious reasons but I’m also so glad I don’t have to worry about him any longer. I definitely feel like I did all I could, sometimes life just deals you a lovely hand.

I’m a little frustrated to have now lost three cats in three years. But the bad luck will stop eventually, right?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

You need to start by explaining to them at the beginning that you expect a minimum service contract of 20 years. Also frequently remind them that you in fact own them, not the other way around, and that you can produce paperwork to prove it (adoption paperwork). What are their quarterly reviews like?

Its not bad luck, you just need to clearer about what you want in your feline new-hires. When you are ready head on down to the pound and conduct some interviews. Lucky number 4.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Just think about the good times you have with them. Bean is an unhealthy weight and is 8 or 9 years old but had we not taken her in back in 2017 my coworker was going to have her put down. Not because she was sick or peed in the house or anything. Just because "I don't like her she's the worst cat" I would absolutely miss my Bean if she were to die but these two years were time she wouldn't have had otherwise. And yeah she's been to the vet a few times (diagnosis: inflamed bladder and Is Cat) but she's still an adorable soft little chunker

We found Domino on the street where he was hiding outside under my car meowing like a little baby. We're pretty sure he explored outside and then realized it was cold and wet but couldn't figure out how to get back inside. Had we not taken him he probably would have been hit by a car.

Of course neither of them see it that way and they treat me like I'm some sort of slime for daring to look at them

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm so sad hearing about your cat Protocol7 - I remember reading you had even taken out a new line of credit to afford this care for your cat :smith: I'm sure you'll be rewarded with a nice, long, prosperous and happy relationship with an excellent catte - you deserve it!

I still feel like I'm just entirely WAY too lucky to have wound up with essentially the absolute #1 perfect cat. Every single time I bring her in to the vet or when she meets a new person, everyone is utterly enchanted by her because she's always friendly, never bites or hisses or scratches at possible, has near-endless tolerance and patience, never EVER knocks over objects, jumps on counters, or goes where she knows she isn't supposed to go (except on very rare occasions when she thinks she can get away with it).

And that's really not even the half of it. I can take her for walks OFF-LEASH around the block, because she *always* stays heeled to the right of me, walking right in place next to me when I walk, stopping when I stop. If she gets distracted I click my tongue or whistle and she catches right up (about 95% of the time if she found an insect to eat she may ignore me!) She loves saying hi to dogs, as long as they aren't afraid of her. Cat can make her bolt all the way back home, she's way more scared of them... I only walk her like that around dawn at 5-6AM when there's about 1 car every five minutes in our neighborhood. I'd be too scared to otherwise, even though I have *never* seen Jackie run into the street since we moved here, well, it doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

I've come to accept that I'm just totally in love with my cat at this point, too, and I've stopped being quite so embarrassed about it. Part of it... really makes me sad, though. Kind of like... deeply sad. I'm never going to love another cat (or any other animal) this much ever again. Or I mean... I sincerely hope not.

What I mean by that is... I adopted Jackie when I had just admitted to myself and my family that I was a serious drug addict and needed to change a lot of things in my life. I had to throw away my old cell phone and basically erase just about every single person I knew or had hung out with in the past 8 years (at that time) from my life (since when you're a drug addict you tend to build your life around that). So I was basically living alone, tapering off drugs and feeling miserable, with nobody to hang out with or spend time with than Jackie, the cat I had taken in from my dad's house as sort of a favor. But yeah, those first 4 years or so when I was trying to get clean and still experiencing relapses and desperately struggling and being hard as hell on myself and wanting to do myself in most of the time... Well, if it hadn't been for the fact that there was this incredibly perfect cat who totally adored me and would cuddle right up to me purring like a motorboat every night I sat down to read or play a game or watch TV - it was the one part of my life at the time that gave me any type of real and sincere joy or solace.

I hated my job, I had no friends in my everyday real life, I certainly had no boyfriend or Significant Other unless you count weirdos online and I don't, I was on horrible terms with my family at the time (it takes years to earn back trust once you've been a dedicated junkie for a while), my hobbies were not giving me much (if any) pleasure anymore. Very few things were giving me any pleasure. I know I've told this story before more or less, but I enjoy reminding myself...

The ONLY reason why I persevered and made it through that insanely dismal period of time was my cat - seriously. It wasn't just that she was well-behaved and cuddly and smelled good and kept me from being lonely, she also had nowhere else to live - she had been MISERABLE at my dads ever since they had gotten two cute new male kittens who reveled in surrounding Jackie and biting and scratching and lashing out at her like a game, while Jackie (who never learned how to play rough like that) would be backed into a corner, shaking and growling and crying. When I made the decision to adopt her was when my dad sent me a video of that going on like it was a "funny cat video". Jackie had always been my fave cat when I lived there a couple years ago at the time,, and I was just so disgusted that they'd stand around guffawing and filming something like that, and immediately offered to adopt her, even though I'd said no before and my life was falling apart completely at the time.

So that's.... a really, really strong bond. Add to that the fact that she's been my cat and sole pet for... well, 3/4 or so of my adult life. And she's the only pet I've ever had that's totally and wholly my responsibility - those make big differences. I'm.... really, really, REALLY hoping she continues to be OK....

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Ah crap, and I forgot I actually had a real issue I meant to mention....

So uh, the day before yesterday (Saturday) Jackie had some kinda smelly diarrhea. I didn't think there was anything TOO weird about it - she did her normal INCREDIBLY gross method of cleaning her butt when it's really dirt, by sitting her butthole directly on the floor and pulling herself across the floor with her front paws - it's a funny sight, but it does leave some serious skid-marks on the floor :gonk:

Here's the worrying thing: her feces was this INCREDIBLY bizarre light gray color - it looked like the color of... I don't know, sculpting clay or something, that sort of light gray. Maybe it could have been light greyish-brown but it did not look like the right color, and her poop in the litter box is always very healthy - well formed, brown/very dark brown in color, tendency to be very dry and solid - normal cat poo. This was not normal and it seemed to freak her out a bit.

Anyway, a quick google search informed me this was DEFINITELY something to be worried about potentially, so Jackie and I are gonna go see the vet at 11:30 today and... pray to GOD things are OK. I switched her food recently to the "grilled" variety of fancy feast as she had been eating the pate stuff forever and I want her to have some variety and she seemed to like it and eat it more all at once, which was good. Or she could have just eaten something ELSE gross that did a number on her system.

What has me terrified is that this is one of several symptoms of liver disease, and I really don't want Jackie to have liver problems because that's like... not a good thing you kinda need a liver to live. I really need Jackie to keep it together until I can at least get my own self together a bit more.

And on a side note, what do you guys consider doing with the remains of your cat? I know I'm burying some along with a tree I'll be planting in our house's yard... I was going to keep some of her ashes and actually was going to stipulate in my will that I'd want her ashes scattered/buried with mine. Well, at least until I meet another creature, feline or otherwise, who may or may not have a bigger impact on my life...

kaworu fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 6, 2019

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
We're going to keep the ashes of Galileo in an urn, next to the ashes of his baby brother.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, after a couple months without incident my older cat Leela just got poofy and took a swipe at me tonight as I was unpacking a new monitor. She's been like this since she was probably a year old, she always gets triggered by certain sounds. The first time was me emptying out the litter into a garbage can, one time while my girlfriend was saying "HAPPY BIRTHDAYEEEEEEEEE" in a loud obnoxious manner, another time taking the plastic bag off of a Roy Koopa plushie.. I think this time it was me peeling the sticky stuff off this monitor. Fortunately she didn't bite me this time, just swiped at me and hissed for a second and the water bottle was within arm's reach. Feliway seems to help a bit but it still sucks. She goes back to normal immediately afterwards like nothing every happened. I'm always worried about having maintenance into our apartment while neither of us are home because it's one thing if she swipes at/bites me but attacking my girlfriend (again) or a random maintenance dude who was drilling into the wall or something would not be good.

Here is the perpetrator:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

explosivo posted:

drat, after a couple months without incident my older cat Leela just got poofy and took a swipe at me tonight as I was unpacking a new monitor. She's been like this since she was probably a year old, she always gets triggered by certain sounds. The first time was me emptying out the litter into a garbage can, one time while my girlfriend was saying "HAPPY BIRTHDAYEEEEEEEEE" in a loud obnoxious manner, another time taking the plastic bag off of a Roy Koopa plushie.. I think this time it was me peeling the sticky stuff off this monitor. Fortunately she didn't bite me this time, just swiped at me and hissed for a second and the water bottle was within arm's reach. Feliway seems to help a bit but it still sucks. She goes back to normal immediately afterwards like nothing every happened. I'm always worried about having maintenance into our apartment while neither of us are home because it's one thing if she swipes at/bites me but attacking my girlfriend (again) or a random maintenance dude who was drilling into the wall or something would not be good.

Here is the perpetrator:

Perp looks soft and cuddly.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Len posted:

Perp looks soft and cuddly.

Can confirm (like, 95% of the time).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Fat happy black catto

Same boy as is my avatar. This guy is very healthy and quite cuddly.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

My wife and her soulmate/our hauspanther

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Dogen posted:

What the heck? How big is that cat??

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Dogen posted:

That appears to be my exact sofa, and that's clearly my Jimmy, so I must ask, what was your wife doing in my house? :colbert:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

D1E posted:

What the heck? How big is that cat??

He weighed in at 16 and some change about 6 months ago. He’s big and strong and also a little chunky. I bet he weighs more now, he’s just over 3.

Bobstar posted:

That appears to be my exact sofa, and that's clearly my Jimmy, so I must ask, what was your wife doing in my house? :colbert:

What are your couch and Jimmy doing in my house?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Dogen posted:

He weighed in at 16 and some change about 6 months ago. He’s big and strong and also a little chunky. I bet he weighs more now, he’s just over 3.

OK, is your wife also tiny then? Because he's literally bigger than her entire torso.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Here he is on his second birthday, so he was probably a bit smaller. Wife posted again for comparison.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

That is one enormous inky void.

Everyone's cats look huge, mine are 5.5 and 9.5 lbs.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 7, 2019

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I'm hoping my basil gets that big. he's 11months old now and nearly 13 pounds. seems promising.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Boogalo posted:

That is one enormous inky void.

Everyone's cats look huge, mine are 5.5 and 9.5 lbs.

lol yeah, Katya is only 6 lbs. all cats look huge to me now.

perfect shoulder-cat.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
drat those are some huge and tiny cats. Rexie's like 9.5 lbs? I think Bishop is 10. Khan and Daenerys are around there as well.

Tyrion is the house chonker now, he's 19lbs. He's fat, but not THAT fat, he's just a very large cat.

He FILLS this heated bed:

Whereas Rexie in the same bed has room:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Milly is the beefcake of the house at over 9.

Butters smol

https://i.imgur.com/CvXkzR4.mp4

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
All my cats are big. Salem is 14 pounds (though definitely the most overweight), Binx is 15, and Crowley was 16 pounds.

Don't know why it worked like that. My parents have two cats and their biggest is like, 9.5 pounds.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Our other cats are like 7, 8 and 10.5 pounds. The 10.5 pound one was a chonky 14-something when she was younger but has been losing weight the last several years (she’s 16)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Did someone say small cats?

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

He FILLS this heated bed:

Whereas Rexie in the same bed has room:

1. These pictures are The Best

2. How much more work/trouble is Rexie compared to the average cat? I've always been interested in hairless cats. 35 years from now, the minimum timespan Basil is allowed to live, I would kind of love to have a cat goblin, but I have always been curious about the day to day differences. I assume not much but..

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
s

Spartacus is my 16 lb chonker

Willow is almost 10 lbs.

Lilly is 12 lb

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

FelicityGS posted:

Did someone say small cats?

Don't tell me that's how you take Toaster to the vet. :3

Ours are like 7 or 8 pounds (between 3 - 3.5 and 4 kg) but Hermine lost some weight (used to home in on 4kg). Muriel always was a mean lean skittish pissing machine.

(This is the closest they'll chill together and it happens maybe once a year. Hermine left, Muriel right)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Zwille posted:

Don't tell me that's how you take Toaster to the vet. :3

(excellent cats)

It is exactly how he goes to the vet. Hes very chill about it, even outside of the apartment (unlike Lucky).

Sometimes he pops his head up to peer around, like so:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

GenericGirlName posted:

1. These pictures are The Best

2. How much more work/trouble is Rexie compared to the average cat? I've always been interested in hairless cats. 35 years from now, the minimum timespan Basil is allowed to live, I would kind of love to have a cat goblin, but I have always been curious about the day to day differences. I assume not much but..

The only real differences in care are:
1. Baths every 1-2 weeks.
2. Touch-ups with wet wipes as needed
3. Dressing her on cooler days

She does require special food and medication, but that's because of her tummy troubles, not her goblinness.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

THIS CAT.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Aww :3:

For content, behold this display of majesty

https://twitter.com/slendersherbet/status/1125642030565212160?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyFur Denny