Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Most of the 'last mile' deliveries are done via 3rd party contractors, and in Amazon's case they also have Amazon Flex which is a gig economy app for delivering packages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
While we're talking about terminology, how many people have heard "Human Capital Management" in place of HR? My current and previous jobs both called their HR departments this. Both places claimed this was somehow less scary than HR even though it definitely sounds like looking at people as numbers.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Going through the joyful US employment pre-screening process and it's hilarious how invasive the process can be.

Like how they want to give over the salary info for all your previous jobs going back 10 years but companies never tell you upfront the pay range for the job.

Apparently background screening companies have also expanded their services to include monthly employee monitoring on things such as social media.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

etalian posted:

Going through the joyful US employment pre-screening process and it's hilarious how invasive the process can be.

Like how they want to give over the salary info for all your previous jobs going back 10 years but companies never tell you upfront the pay range for the job.

Apparently background screening companies have also expanded their services to include monthly employee monitoring on things such as social media.

I wonder if its true that if you don't have social media for these companies to scrutinize for whatever poo poo they're looking for they ding you as if you were engaging in shady behavior. I've heard that not having social media is regarded as enough of a red flag by people who are willing to engage in this stuff because they assume everyone has a facebook and that not having a facebook must in fact be for some specific illegitimate reason

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It probably varies but yeah I've heard that too.

Idk I just don't go on my FB page ever and if that's an issue then the company is probably radioactive garbage to work for anyway.

Also yeah I've heard 'Human Capital Management' in place of HR and to me it sounds like some idiot exec somewhere was reading too much cyberpunk. It's certainly not more benign being directly called a piece of capital.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Moridin920 posted:

It probably varies but yeah I've heard that too.

Idk I just don't go on my FB page ever and if that's an issue then the company is probably radioactive garbage to work for anyway.

Also yeah I've heard 'Human Capital Management' in place of HR and to me it sounds like some idiot exec somewhere was reading too much cyberpunk. It's certainly not more benign being directly called a piece of capital.

I'm a real person not a resource.

Just ignore why any request for time off requires my employee id number. That's not because they don't look at names or anything.

At least I got used to that poo poo early, my 5th and 6th grade english teacher assigned us numbers and if your number wasn't on the assignments you turned in you lost points. I was number 18 because alphabetically I was last on the list

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I worked for hourly wages at a huge chain pet store as a manager, and since I actually kind of enjoyed the job, I would often put in overtime because I liked the money. They got annoyed with me so they "promoted" me to salary that was the same amount as my hourly wage at 40 hours a week. I stopped putting in extra hours immediately and then got in trouble for only working 40 because that's the bare minimum and obviously I could do better. Lmao oh well too bad shitlords!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

etalian posted:

in at least California they can’t ask for salary history, and have to provide the pay range (base, not bonus or equity) for the position if you’re an external applicant. I think other states are headed that way too

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

I'm a real person not a resource.

Just ignore why any request for time off requires my employee id number. That's not because they don't look at names or anything.

At least I got used to that poo poo early, my 5th and 6th grade english teacher assigned us numbers and if your number wasn't on the assignments you turned in you lost points. I was number 18 because alphabetically I was last on the list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Cs-VIDKSY

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

etalian posted:

Just put zero or $1 and tell them it's proprietary information.

Subjunctive posted:

in at least California they can’t ask for salary history, and have to provide the pay range (base, not bonus or equity) for the position if you’re an external applicant. I think other states are headed that way too

Massachusetts is the same way (though that still doesn't stop employers from asking anyway).

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

This is on the snack machine in the school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4IiGBwSBUE

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

If you're working in the private sector, a lot of your previous employers just won't disclose your salary information (public sector it's frequently Googleable), and unless you're doing, like, defense contracting or something for the government, it's not illegal to lie about that. They can fire you if they find out later, but that's pretty long odds, and really, they can fire you for just about anything (or nothing), anyway.

You can also just say that your previous employer(s) doesn't/don't allow you to disclose that information.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

yet once you're employed by the company they're under no obligation to give you that information lol

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
http://www.citylab.com/transportation/2019/04/innisfil-transit-ride-hailing-bus-public-transportation-uber/588154/

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mein gott

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

yet once you're employed by the company they're under no obligation to give you that information lol

yeah, that’s pretty ridiculous

Thanatosian posted:

You can also just say that your previous employer(s) doesn't/don't allow you to disclose that information.

pretty easy to see through that one, since it’s illegal to restrict people from talking about their compensation. maybe it’s worked for you, though!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

I worked for hourly wages at a huge chain pet store as a manager, and since I actually kind of enjoyed the job, I would often put in overtime because I liked the money. They got annoyed with me so they "promoted" me to salary that was the same amount as my hourly wage at 40 hours a week. I stopped putting in extra hours immediately and then got in trouble for only working 40 because that's the bare minimum and obviously I could do better. Lmao oh well too bad shitlords!

Somehow a lot of bad managers never figure out that people are going to do exactly what you incentivize them to do, not what you just want them to do

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

When did literally everyone become an "associate" instead of "employee" by the way, that seems like a recent thing but I'm not really sure. It feels like some kind of sneaky implied PR hedge, to paint a picture of "oh they're not an employee of us they're an associate of ours"

I think Barbara Ehrenreich talks about this in Nickel & Dimed and there might be more info there, check libgen. Its definitely some type of poo poo cooked up by idiot MBAs to make a toxic worker/owner relationship seem equitable in any way though

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

quote:

One [public non-uber] bus to serve a projected 17,000 annual riders would cost $270,000 in Canadian dollars for the first year of service
The city’s subsidy for the program grew from $150,000 in 2017 to about $640,000 in 2018, and for 2019, it has allocated another $900,000.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
One of those random amazon drivers once pulled up to my house and saw I was sitting on the front step, so he got out of his car and threw the package over his car in my general direction and it landed on the sidewalk. He then hopped back in and sped off.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

One of those random amazon drivers once pulled up to my house and saw I was sitting on the front step, so he got out of his car and threw the package over his car in my general direction and it landed on the sidewalk. He then hopped back in and sped off.

To be fair, I would do the same if there's no real quality assurance in the delivery.
And depends on how far out of my way I have to drive from my normal way home.
If I have to take a long detour on my way home AFTER work, gently caress Jeff Bozos, I'm pretending this is real life Paper Boy.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

pretty easy to see through that one, since it’s illegal to restrict people from talking about their compensation. maybe it’s worked for you, though!
I like that you think employers want to tell their future employees that they can freely talk about compensation and benefits, and organize with their fellow employees.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1124021460610244609

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1124290347872296961

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

:vince:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I forget what was the total of that deal, something like a billion dollars a year for 10 years, and they still can't spring for better sets or pyro lol

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

I like that you think employers want to tell their future employees that they can freely talk about compensation and benefits, and organize with their fellow employees.

my workplace has been through one or two lawsuits due to pay issues along racial and gender lines, both of which were assisted by our union having access to pay information iirc

so now they only give us pay information for union members

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I look forward to passing down many soap related traditions to my children

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Looks like cheap poo poo you can get from AliExpress.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mill Village posted:

Looks like cheap poo poo you can get from AliExpress.

Ditch the stupid drawstring and I'd think it was real for a bit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I searched chainmail on aliexpress and was in no way disappointed.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Chr...2851245039.html

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Powershift posted:

I searched chainmail on aliexpress and was in no way disappointed.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Chr...2851245039.html

Is that a sex thing? I hope it's a sex thing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Outrail posted:

Is that a sex thing? I hope it's a sex thing.

No one cares about your fetishes dude

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

the templars were the baddies in asscreed

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

No one cares about your fetishes dude

Is......Is this a sex thing?

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

I love #BRAND and have exclusively eaten nothing but #BRAND and am looking forward to my #BRAND heavenly rewards

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

got any sevens posted:

the templars were the baddies in asscreed

Templars are bankers and bankers are scum

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do cigarette companies still give out tote bags for sending in proof of purchases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
i sure hope someone can find a way to monetize my death

oh cool