Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
2. Hell House LLC 2

Hmmm. Well wasn't a huge fan of the first one and this was worse. The choice to make this non linear was not a good choice.

The strongest stuff was the "morning mysteries" segment with the various random clips of people visiting the hotel at the beginning. The added lore was pretty underwhelming and the end reveal was pretty lol.

1.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

17) Killjoy - 2000 - TubiTV

I seriously don't know how the hell this one earned four sequels.

Premise is the basic murder victim cast a spell for revenge creating the killer clown Killjoy. Film's not particularly good or bad, just okay and really not warranting the sequals.

18) Horrible Dr. Bones - 2000 - TubiTV

This one was interesting premise but seriously needed more polish and work in the execution.

A rap group thinks they've hit thier big break signing with the Dr. Bones, a major name producer, instead he's got his own plans for world domination with zombies created through rap music.

Lowtax reviewed this one for the frontpage as well.
https://www.somethingawful.com/movie-reviews/horrible-dr-bone/1/

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

4. Wolf Guy (1975)
(Shudder)

Sonny Chiba stars as the titular "wolf guy" - basically a werewolf except that instead of turning into a wolf during a full moon, he just becomes invincible and does cool flips and stuff. Also he's really good at throwing coins at people for some reason. He uses his powers to fight crime, and becomes entangled in a conspiracy involving a spectral tiger, secret experiments, and lots of gratuitous nudity. I found the plot hard to follow at times, maybe because it's confusing or maybe just because I was a little high. It's really fun though in a ridiculous and over the top way. The gore effects when the phantom tiger mauls people are really well done and pretty gross.

I really like yakuza films and '70s Japanese cinema in general, so this was right up my alley and I enjoyed it a lot. It never gets as weird as stuff like House or Horrors of Malformed Men, but it has a lot of wild and goofy moments and I had a blast with it.

Total: 4
Watched: Hagazussa | Deep Rising | Thoroughbreds | Wolf Guy

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
3. Nekromantik 1987

It's amateurishly filmed, edited, acted and gross. I guess from looking at the the poster so many times I assumed the movie would feature a zombie or sex-skeleton, but no, it's just necrophilia. Necrophilia and a blood spurting prop dick. I don't know if I expected more or less. It was funny, though.

2.5/5

1. Day of the Animals | 2. The Snarling | 3. Nekromantik

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
2. 1408 (2007)

I went onto Shudder for this one, looking for something a lot more “horror” than my first watch. I figured a movie about a haunted hotel room based on a short story by Stephen King more than fits the bill.

John Cusack plays an author of books on haunted locations who decides to stay in the Dolphin Hotel in New York for his next book after receiving an anonymous postcard warning of Room 1408. Intrigued, he goes to NYC and is warned many times by the manager (played by Samuel L Jackson) to not stay in the room due to its grisly history and literal body count dating back a century. Cusack, being a cynical skeptic, dismisses the warnings and stays in the room just for one night.

As the night goes on he discovers that he is quite trapped in the room which unleashes ghosts, terrors and repressed memories to torment him. All standard stuff with haunt horror and the usage of a single location really brings out the isolation and tension as you see the situation get more dire (and more surreal). I have to admit when the timer on the clock radio (which had been counting down from 60:00 when he first checked in) concluded after all that poo poo and it all resets to start over was quite something. Then the film picks up and I won’t say anymore

:spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

3. Hereditary (2018)

Oh yes, it’s this one. The film I’ve been waiting for the right time to watch and I figured why not now?

Well, gently caress me, what did I get myself into. I started watching this one thinking “OK, its got a creepy and disjointed vibe” which I figured is part of the demonic themes.

Then the movie hits you with some powerful and honestly terrifying images. I can’t even do them justice to describe them with simple descriptions because its really the build to them and especially the lingering with a sense of dread and pure horror that makes them work. I'll try to explain them with the infamous decapitation scene which actually made me take a break from the film for a bit, I can't say anymore. The rest of the film is just a roller coaster of images and emotions and sounds you won’t get out of your head and god drat is this not one to be watched lightly.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

4. Critters (1986)

Alright, so after getting by brain totally destroyed by the previous film I decided to watch some 80s comedy-horror cheese as a bit of levity.

It opens with some cheesy 80s science fiction about an asteroid of Critters landing on Earth but not before two bounty hunters are sent to deal with it. Right off the bat this one ticks off all the boxes of “80s horror movie set in small town America” right down to the mechanic father who looks like he’s vote for Ronald Reagan every day if he had to. The rest of the film is what you’d expect from an 80s creature feature (and I know this one is up there with the known of the genre) with delightful amounts of dark comedy, practical effects and (not too) bloody mayhem. I’m told the sequels get a lot more slapstick and wacky but this one is a pretty good tense creature feature.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Total: 1. Annihilation (2018), 2. 1408 (2007), 3. Hereditary (2018), 4. Critters (1986)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hell yeah planescape owns

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Doom

What a stinking turd this was. I never got around to seeing it at the time, and it's just so derivative and (more importantly) lifeless How do you make a movie with The Rock and Bones from Star Trek and have absolutely no one-liners. It's a chore to watch, the camera never holds still- every cut is to a tracking shot, and the whole of Mars is a boring, samey mess. Actual DOOM, like the 1993 game, had more interesting and clever vistas and senses of place using a sprite palette and a .wad file.

And yes, the entire first-person sequence is exactly as howlingly dumb as it sounds on paper. Honestly, DOOM (the 2016 video game) is a better version of this movie, that keeps its hard-R hyperviolence while still being very, very funny.

1. A Serbian Film 2. Beyond the Gates

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 4, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

1/13

The fifth Friday the 13th movie really wanted to solidify that Jason Voorhees was dead. What seemed to be the killer was actually just an angry man in an imitation mask getting revenge for his son, and the film was meant to lead into Tommy Jarvis taking on the mantle as the new hockey mask-wearing killer. When this proved to be wildly unpopular, the creators decided to avoid killing their franchise prematurely and bring Jason back the only way they could: a lightning strike on his dead body. With Jason now definitely confirmed to be an undead monstrosity, there was no longer any need to put restrictions on him or pretend that he had any sort of human vulnerability.

Following up on this premise of turning what was ostensibly a mundane (if unrealistic) series into a supernatural one, they throw out any rulebook for 80s slashers. Jason now walks at a slow pace everywhere but also has the ability of seemingly silent teleportation whenever you look away from him, which means he now has all the time in the world to stand around and allow people to get hits on him just for fun. How does Jason go from rotting and bug-covered in his grave to wearing a seemingly pristine outfit? Who cares!

There's a sense that everyone involved in this production knew how cliche it had become. Some of his first victims immediately acknowledge how much a weirdo in a hockey mask with a spear standing in the middle of the road looks like a horror movie, though it doesn't stop them from not treating Jason seriously enough and getting impaled. All of the actors seem to have been instructed specifically to overact or treat it as a comedy rather than a horror movie; I mentioned before in my review of Part 5 that the filmmakers knew people were only coming to see the gory kills with their girl at the drive-in by that point, but at least these people seem to have been having fun with it. This is most apparent in the sequence in which Jason kills an entire group of company executives having a paintball outing in the woods, all of whom are playing as if they're in a slapstick comedy in which Jason just happens to appear.

This film could be taken as the first installment in the popularly known Friday the 13th series. Jason is an undead force of nature with a silent sense of almost humor, unstoppable until he needs to be, and always ready to come back. Nobody could ever call it a "good movie", but it's a refreshing improvement over the previous film's laziness.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

chitoryu12 posted:

Nobody could ever call it a "good movie",

I could, and I do! It's my favorite of the series after part 4.

5. The Old Dark House (1932)
(Shudder)

On a dark and stormy night, three travelers become stranded due to a mudslide and are forced to seek shelter in a creepy old house with some strange inhabitants... this is part comedy and part thriller, and pulls off both aspects better than I expected it to. Director James Whale made one of the all time great horror films only one year before and would make another one of those a few years later (Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein, natch), so it shouldn't have surprised me, but comedy often ages poorly so I wasn't expecting too much. Apart from a few moments though, mostly involving women dramatically shrieking and fainting because of the wind or some poo poo, it holds up really well. It's a really good looking film, with gorgeous sets and great use of lighting and shadows.

It's always kind of funny to me that Boris Karloff became so famous for playing big hulking brutes who just grunt, because I always think of him as the articulate, soft-spoken, and charming sort of characters that he played throughout most of his career. He gets top billing in this even though he has no dialogue and is at best a side character, although it's hard to deny that's he pretty good at just being ugly and threatening. The whole cast is pretty excellent, too. I especially liked Charles Laughton as an obnoxious but friendly rich guy, and Ernest Thesiger (Dr. Praetorius from BoF) as the nervous man who lives in the titular house.

If you like films from this era, I absolutely recommend checking this out.

Total: 5
Watched: Hagazussa | Deep Rising | Thoroughbreds | Wolf Guy | The Old Dark House

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

2. The Barn (2016)

Watched On: Tubi TV

A passion project filmed by in Pennsylvania that almost never even got finished. There's something really endearing about this love letter to 80s horror cinema, specifically the slasher genre.

I enjoyed this whole movie wall to wall. They don't have a high budget but they still go for it with gore and kills that you don't even get in some movies with a higher budget. All the set pieces also have that small town during Halloween charm and builds a cast of Halloween loving teens that you want to root for. Then they have some pretty alright looking villains to run from (among them a thread favorite, the killer scarecrow). Some of the acting is questionable and the uh... I guess computer effects look kinda weak in comparison to the practicle effects in the rest of the movie.

It's far from a masterpiece and you do feel the lack of budget in places, but this may make it into my regular Halloween viewing for the heart, the kills, and the atmosphere.
3/5

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
3. The Stuff dir. Larry Cohen (1985)
Really enjoyed this, it's got a really charming pulpiness to it. Moriarty's character as a mix of corporate super spy and a drunk uncle was a delight. Also one of the funniest depictions of a military general, the supporting characters in general are all a lot of fun. I also fully believe that an old guy would just eat ground goo if he thought it looked tasty, old men are weird. Aside from some bad compositing the effects were fun as hell, and some wonderfully spooky night photography that makes good use of neon lights and shadowy fog.

4 very good fake logos out of 5

Watched: 1. Noroi 4/5, 2. Mandy 3.5/5, 2.The Stuff 4/5

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

1 - Madman

Lore of the campire fire.. Telling of his horror. .

This is a movie I've seen at least three times and never remember except for the loving song. And that the lead girl looks a whole lot like my high school girlfriend. I watched it this time around with Joe Bob giving some back story which didn't really make me appreciate it anymore, but did make the time go faster. This movie is just super generic, even for it's time. It does nothing new and the villain-hillbilly-monster-whatever isn't going to be scary or memorable to anyone. I try to not judge anyone for their movie taste, but I'm going to go ahead and say anyone who is working or considering making a sequal/pre-qual/'reboot' is only doing so out of some rose-colored glasses 80s nostalgia.

I'm going to give it 2.5/5 just because it isn't actively bad, its just there. Kind of like judging a bush. The lead girl shooting her (unknownst to her, already dead) friend right in the face with a shotgun and not seemingly phased by it made me chuckle, so that's something.

2- House Of The Devil

Yet another movie I had seen but couldn't remember. Once again, I watched this as part of the Joe Bob Series, and I'm glad to find he seemed to appreciate this one even more than I did. This one is so well done and so creepy but, like Madman, it doesn't do anything you haven't seen before. You possibly haven't seen 'it' done this well, but you've seen it. In addition, to a contemporary audience, this movie would be moving at a snails pace. I like atmosphere and I like 'boring' movies. I see it as moving your baseline a little lower, so when those spikes in horror or action happen, they seem more steep than a movie that might start out at 100 miles per hour. Unfortunately, this gets a full head of steam going and then things happen a little too fast and kind of stumbles in the last act. I took the ending as Samantha is incapable of dying at this time, where as the person I was watching it with took it as she just shot herself in the head and happened not to die. I'm kind of curious to how the rest of the viewing audience took it, but it seemed obvious to me but maybe if he had defined that a little better it would have been of benefit

I still think Ti West could produce something remarkable, but imo we haven't seen that yet. He seems to take chances, but they aren't new chances.

4/5 .

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Journeying through the They Shoot Zombies… list

#90: The Others (2001)

Glowing praise is often and rightfully heaped upon Nicole Kidman’s performance and the well-executed final reveal which re-contextualises the events leading up to it. (I didn’t know about either when going in, so both were a pleasant surprise). It’s to the film’s credit that even without the last-minute swerve, it could proudly stand as one of the high points of the haunted house genre. Some may deem the pacing too languid for their taste, but I found myself consistently engrossed. We’re always handed just enough information to keep us wondering, and most of the seemingly disparate elements ultimately coalesce into a satisfying whole. My biggest gripe is the wasted WW2 setting, which thematically never bears the fruits that individual moments promise.

#91: High Tension (2003)

Yeah, gently caress this poo poo. I usually refrain from spoiling important plot points in these mini-reviews, but I’ll have to make an exception for High Tension because my issues with the film primarily stem from its final reveal. Feel free to skip the next paragraph if you’d rather not know what happens near the end.

The story revolves around a young student named Marie, who stays at the family home of her friend Alex in the country. A nameless intruder shows up, kills the family, and kidnaps Alex, forcing Marie to pursue them. However, it turns out that the intruder never existed. Marie killed the family and kidnapped Alex because she was secretly in love with her, all the while believing that her crimes were committed by someone else.

It’s almost appropriate that I watched High Tension immediately after The Others, because while the latter is a fantastic example of how a well-done twist can enrich a narrative, the former proves how easily a badly-thought out twist that only serves as a cheap ‘gotcha’ can ruin an otherwise competent execution. Aside from contradicting everything we’ve been shown for the past hour, forcing us to mentally reconstruct the entire plot for ourselves (which, even with the most beneficial reading, still results in more than a few unexplainable discrepancies), the ending also instrumentalises Marie’s homosexuality as driver of mental illness and murderous intent. We’re led to the conclusion that lesbianism explains her actions, a message far more disgusting than the excessive violence the film prides itself on.

#92: The Body Snatcher (1945)

Technically the second Lugosi/Karloff collaboration I watched for this challenge, although Lugosi barely features and the two share little screen time. Mostly, this is Karloff’s show, and he handles it with the finesse I’ve come to expect, giving a performance that I can best sum up as affably creepy. Every time he shows up on screen, the mood notably shifts into a much darker direction.

Credit also has to go to director Wise who, as in The Haunting, proves himself a master of the mise en scene, convincingly recreating 19th century Edinburgh in a studio lot. The inclusion of real folk songs and numerous mentions of real-life murderers Burke and Hare help make The Body Snatcher feel a lot more like an actual slice of history than the usual horror period pieces from the 30s and 40s.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 4, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mom and Dad(Hulu)

Can't believe I never got around to this one after how much I loved Mandy, but it's up on Hulu right now so I made sure it was on my list for the challenge. Came for the Nic Cage show, so in that sense I definitely was satisfied. I thought it was funny how a few of the big over the top moments from the trailer were actually just Nic Cage's character, like before the "hysteria" hits. He's just a loving nut.

Selma Blair held her own and then some, plus there's a twist at the end that brings one of my favorite actors of all time into the mix. Overall I'd call this more of a black comedy than a straight horror movie, but it was definitely enjoyable.

Watched: 1. Evil Bong 2. Let's Scare Jessica to Death 3. Mom and Dad

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Samuel Clemens posted:

#91: High Tension (2003)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap9g2vR32Vg

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Had a bad week, decided to watch some comedies that are also kind of technically horror

9) Life After Beth (2014)

A young man is having a difficult time coping with his girlfriend's sudden death when she inexplicably returns to life.

This is like 99 and 44/100% comedy but that little remainder actually unsettled me a bit as a reminder of a time I got back with an ex and soon realized what a mistake I'd made.

There's a lot of little threads running through this movie about breakups, grief, coping mechanisms, and moving on. There's also lots of comedy moments and tangents and shaggy dogs, but it mostly all works for me. For such a chill and flighty movie the more grounded parts were able to stick in my mind a lot better than I thought they would. However, if you don't like the idea of a comedy stretching its legs and being weird as it pivots around Aubrey Plaza and Dane DeHaan then I don't know if you're going to have a good time.

Overall recommend. Would rewatch on my own, but you never know how good a comedy is until you see it a second time.

10) They're Watching (2016)

The crew for an American house renovation show runs into trouble when they offend the locals in rural Moldova.

A found footage movie, about a TV crew, filled with Ominous Foreigners, and one of the main characters is a Real Jerk. I thought I was getting more of a straight horror movie but wound up with a horror comedy. I liked it.

It starts as a straight comedy and does that slow slide into Spooky Things but the film never truly loses sight of what it wants to be. It's never totally tense but it did cultivate a feeling in me of ooh what's gonna happen now that I liked. I highly enjoyed the ending and give it some bonus points for it alone.

Cautious recommend. I'm not tired of found footage and I'm willing to try to take movies at face value so a lot of the potential negatives here don't even register for me. I might not watch it again on my own but it seems like a quality group experience.

Samuel Clemens posted:

#90: The Others (2001)

Seeing this movie is one of my favorite theater experiences of all time. My sister and I saw it during a daytime showing back in college. We were the only two people in the theater, surrounded by a sea of total silence and darkness. I've seen it a few times since and I refuse to begin unless the room is pitch black.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Five Dolls For An August Moon
10 people in a avant-garde mansion on a tropical island. Murders happen one by one, who is doing it and will they be the last man/woman standing?
There are some notable strong points to the movie. It's oozing with 70's style, from the music to the fashion to the architecture. The actors are a very good looking bunch and yet still manage to have distinctive looks to them, which helps with the large cast. The song playing over the ending is a standout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cds4bD69O0c
Overall thought I didn't like this one much though. There's not really anything interesting happening throughout the movie, you just sort of wait for the next corpse to show up, be put up in the meat locker, repeat until the end. Apparently Mario Bava didn't like this one himself either. I guess they can't all be winners.

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

Rigor Mortis
Watched on Shudder

This movie is kind of a "gritty reboot" of the classic Mr. Vampire series of Chinese kung-fu horror comedies, with many of the same actors confronting more ghosts and a hopping kung-fu vampire, but with the sensibility of contemporary Asian horror. Unfortunately, I wasn't super into this one despite a couple of interesting fights and some great designs, as the relentless seriousness and grimness takes away from the playful quality I love about earlier films in this genre.

2.5/5

The Church
Watched on Amazon

Oh my GOD what a fun movie. A group of extremely expendable characters are locked in a booby trapped church that was built on the mass grave of a pagan village massacred by Templars. As with many Italian horror films, the plot is mostly an excuse to jump from one elaborate deadly set piece to another, but unlike many of them this has absolutely no dead air. A couple in particular, one involving a jackhammer, had me cackling with delight.

4/5

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

On a side note, do you really pronounce the name Jee-Kill? I always called him Jack-ill.

"JEEK-ul", but yes. If you come to Edinburgh and start talking about "Dr Jeckle", you will get an eyeroll. It's an Anglicised spelling of the Breton name Gicquel.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OK, here comes The Prophecy: Uprising

I knew from the back of the box that this was the first Prophecy movie to not feature Christopher Walken. So I assumed that this is the where the series gets cheap(er) and lovely(er).

But it's the opposite! Uprising actually feels less cheap than The Prophecy 3, and with the loss of Walken I guess they felt the need to actually try to make a competent movie. The main character has complex emotions and an arc, and the climax of the film ties into that! They actually try to create a scary atmosphere in the beginning! There's a neat twist, that dare I say it, subverts your expectations! There's a plot that isn't a ripoff of a Terminator movie! It's a movie, they actually tried to make a movie!

Now, of course, it's not a great movie. Outside of Sean Pertwee the other leads leave a lot to be desired in the acting department, Just because the main character has an arc doesn't mean it's told super well, the scary atmosphere goes away after the first half, etc.

But goddamn, The Prophecy was a mess and The Prophecy 2 and The Prophecy 3 were completely phoned in because they knew they could just coast on Walken's charisma. So the fact that after all that they tried, they actually tried to make The Prophecy 4 a movie, that gets high marks in my book. Or at least passing marks.

The Prophecy Uprising isn't very good, but it's the best at being a movie of any of the Prophecy movies so far

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

11) Hell Night (1981)

Four college kids, being hazed by their respective frat and sorority, are tasked to spend the night in a spooky mansion as their final task before being accepted. As it turns out, they're not alone...

This one really doesn't work for me. It's trying to be methodical but mostly it's just slow. Someone creeping around while the soundtrack kicks in doesn't automatically make a scene tense! And that's the movie's primary way to build the spook-o-meter! There's a conscious decision here to avoid real gore, nudity, or spectacular violence in favor of atmosphere, and that's a fine goal to aim for. There are lots of little moments in the first half that indicate the distinctions the film is trying to make from its contemporaries. The costuming and setting in particular are prime material for helping put together a more knowing and better thought out slasher. Ultimately I don't believe it achieves its aims.

Make no mistake: the bones of a good movie are hidden somewhere in the rolls of cinematic flab. The premise is fine and I think there's a couple glimmers of quality ideas with how the non-surviving characters are handled. My problem is that the execution of these ideas lead to overlong sequences devoid of tension that help smother the already weak pacing. The style the film is banking on is fumbled and as a result it doesn't deliver on what the runtime is devoted to and there's none of the over-the-top nonsense that would otherwise be the saving grace of a film like this.

How much would this film be remembered were it not for Linda Blair? Replace her with another actress and there's probably no Razzie nomination and no subsequent attempts to rehabilitate the shreds of good ideas left on the floor.

Not recommended. There's a few shots that really work and odds are at least some portion of this thread are Linda Blair completionists but there's very little meat on this bone.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

19) Prison - 1987 - Youtube

An often overlooked gem. A closed down prison is set to reopen to alleviate crowding and a sinister history wakes up as the renovations happen.

Effects are pretty good and it's one of Viggo Mortensen's early roles.

20) Arcade - 1993 - AmazonPrime

First time watch. Fairly standard killer game movie. Really suffers with how the CGI's aged since so there's probably some laugh at how bad it is value.

Overall, okay but I probably won't watch it again.

Edit to add rather than double post

21) Blood Dolls - 1999 - TubiTV

First time watch and I swear, it feels like they had to justify making some Puppet Master dolls that got rejected. Storyline's pretty forgetable of wealthy evil guy is looking for love and sadistic fun. There apparently was two separate endings for this one, but the version on Tubi has them both.

22) Shrunken Heads - 1994 - TubiTV

First time watch. Fairly basic teens get killed by local criminals and get ressurrected into shrunken heads to avenge themselves. I get the feeling with this one that Full Moon was fishing for the next moneyshot like Puppet Master or Species. It's okay but not particularly memorable.

M_Sinistrari fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 5, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

#94: Martyrs (2008)

I suppose it’s nearly impossible nowadays to go into Martyrs without knowing of its reputation as one of the most brutal horror films to date. It’s not a film you’d catch by accident on a TV channel or that a streaming algorithm would recommend to you, so if you go to the effort of tracking down a copy, you probably did so out of morbid curiosity. Initially, I swore to myself that I wouldn’t spend this entire review talking about its graphical nature because that’s already well-trodden ground. But to be honest, I’m not sure what else there is to talk about. Camerawork and editing are adequate at best and at times outright bizarre (particularly in the first half), and the genre shifts don’t ever seem to coalesce into a satisfying experience. The most interesting aspect is the quasi-religious motivation underlying the villains, but even that is treated in such a curiously off-hand manner that I can’t figure out where the film actually wants to go with it.

In the end you’re left with an experience that hinges solely on how disturbing you find the depicted violence. To which I honestly have to admit, not very, I felt rather distanced from the proceedings. Maybe all these years of watching horror have broken me, or maybe I just couldn’t connect to the events on an emotional level because what we’re shown is so abstract. With something like Salň, I can at least see the ideological critique inherent in the torture, but here the nihilism feels so forced, so calculated to upset, that I don’t feel involved. I don’t know, maybe Robert Bresson could have pulled it off.

#96: Jacob’s Ladder (1990)

I’d seen Jacob’s Ladder once before, but that was over a decade ago, so I was curious to see how well it holds up. Overall, I came away with positive, if slightly mixed impressions. I still think anything relating to Jacob coming to terms with his death works effectively. The supernatural scenes are seamlessly integrated into the overall structure and the ending feels emotionally satisfying. At the same time, the governmental drug conspiracy angle stuck out like a sore thumb, as it doesn’t fit very well with the main plot.

To elaborate, since everything but the Vietnam scenes takes place in Jacob’s head, the Ladder is either his fabrication and thus entirely meaningless or the universe chose an extremely roundabout way of revealing this fact to him by re-creating the entire conspiracy within his head. Additionally, the whole side story messes with the pacing. The second conversation with the chiropractor clearly outlines the film’s themes and offers an explanation for the events we witnessed, so it would make sense to go directly into the conclusion from there. Instead, we’re treated to the chemist interlude, which doesn’t relate to the central metaphor at all and consequently feels like it was taken from a different film. Both ”you see demons because you’re dead” and “you see demons because the government tested a dangerous drug on you” are fine premises, I just don’t see them mixing very well.

-------

Jedit posted:

"JEEK-ul", but yes. If you come to Edinburgh and start talking about "Dr Jeckle", you will get an eyeroll. It's an Anglicised spelling of the Breton name Gicquel.

Let no one say watching horror films isn't educational. Thanks.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

23) Creepazoids - 1987 - TubiTV

I could've sworn I'd seen this one before but turns out I hadn't. Plot's a solid post-apocalyptic setting where some deserters take shelter in what turns out to be a government research center that still has some living experiments roaming around.

Overall, not a bad film. It's pretty obvious they did crib a bit from Alien for it.

24) Zarkorr! The Invader - 1996 - Youtube

This one's a pretty bog standard kaiju entry and it wasn't particularly memorable so I'm not sure if I saw it before or not. It's not particularly standout, but the monster design's not too shabby.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

2) Within The Woods - (1978)

This was actually a re-watch for me, but I was short on time last night and needed something quick (the run time is only 30 mins). For anyone not in the know, this is the prototype film that Sam Raimi created as a means to generate funding for the creation of The Evil Dead. The plot is effectively the same same as The Evil Dead with some minor changes like it being more of a farm house instead of a cabin in the woods. There is also an element of an Indian burial ground that causes the outburst of evil-ness before the Necronomicon idea came to fruition. Bruce Campbell stars, and Ellen Sandweiss (Cheryl) also appears; even at such a young age Bruce is so much fun to watch. I really wish there were better copies of this floating around because when you combine the amateur natural lighting with the degraded VHS quality it can be a little hard to make out exact what is going on. On the whole it shows Raimi's ability to direct and write, which was later proven by his track record of dope as hell movies. If you like The Evil Dead at all you really should consider watching this. It's short and fun and worth your time. My rating may even be a bit generous, but I loving love The Evil Dead

7/10

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
4. Wolfcop 2014, streaming on Shudder

Watched on Last Drive In thanks to him finally showing a movie this season that I hadn't seen before. Fun low budget Werewolf comedy with a really good transformation scene. At around the halfway point it stops being a horror movie and turns into a superhero movie. I can't say I approve of the wolfcop's methods -but he gets results. The credits have a rap song about the wolfcop playing over them, so that's good.

4.5/5

1. Day of the Animals | 2. The Snarling | 3. Nekromantik | 4. Wolfcop

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

3- REC

Watched this with my SO, who went into it blind as her first time watch and really liked. The scares and tension are effective and it's just an all around solid watch. Things get rolling quickly and accelerate smoothly to a satisfying conclusion. I don't really have a lot to say about this one. If you haven't seen it, just watch it . Even if this isn't your type of film, I think you'll find it enjoying.

5/5

4- Troll Hunter

This is one I've put off for a long time. This movie takes the totally opposite approach as did REC, in which my SO spent at least the first quarter trying to figure out if it was a haunted house film, or a possession, or what this movie was. I would have probably saw this earlier if I didn't know what it was about, as I do with so many movies (and am frequently wrong about), I judged it literally by the cover. This movie has some neat ideas and was fun, but I still didn't like it as much as people seem to. Reviews seem to indicate it's got a lot of Norwegian play on words and cultural references that are lost on people that don't know those things.

4/5

5 - Killer Workout

Recommended by user NoDadYouShutUp in the horror thread, I went into this blind but could tell it was going to be a good one. Patrons a of fitness club begin to be murdered by a laundry pin that was evidently made out of Damascus steel and poison coated. It pierces several skulls but also instantly drops people from shallow single stab wounds. Highlighting this movie is a high body count, a detective that is a caricature of a detective, some studs duking it out and a crazy amount of music montages. This is just good, stupid fun without as much nudity as I was expecting, and bloody, but not as violent as some other films thanks to the killer choosing a laundry pin as his weapon of choice. Killings happen rapid fire, and like all great 80s films, the business stays open the whole time without a whole lot of concern by the members.

This turns into a fairly good who dunnit, and delivers a satisfying ending. Also features some really awesome 80s 'fitness' music.

4/5

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 5, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Today I sat through The Prophecy: Forsaken

It's just bad. Not in any kind of fun or interesting or notable way. It's boring and bad there's no point carrying on about it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OK, I've finished all five The Prophecy movies. Here's my take on the series as a whole

It's bad. The first one has some ideas but they're all executed poorly and it would've been completely forgotten if not for Christopher Walken's performance. The second and third movies know that and are complete no-effort phone ins 100% coasting off Walken's on-screen charisma. The fourth is the series' high point, managing to achieve the status of forgettably competent. And the final movie is bad in the most boring and flaccid way.

Give The Prophecy movies a pass, folks!

What a lovely way to start this Horror Challenge

at least we'll always have this

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1) Friday the 13th

Honestly, this is a lot better than I remembered. It's oddly ugly (almost no contrast, everything is either dark as hell or brighter than sunlight), but that might be a product of the film stock on which it was shot. Some of the kills are pretty brutal, too, especially when Kevin Bacon bites it. I can see why it's seminal horror because it establishes so many staples of the genre that Scream takes the piss out of.

All in all, an unexpectedly good movie. I'll do 2 tomorrow.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

#97: Phantasm (1979)

An American production that feels distinctly Italian with its unconventional editing style, catchy score, and plot that’s sustained more by mood than coherence. Angus Scrimm is the clear draw, delivering a performance that lies somewhere between Boris Karloff and Nicolas Cage, but there are plenty of other things to keep you entertained as well. One has to admire the novelty of seeing a young kid in pre-Spielbergian times team up with a guitar-playing ice cream vendor and a Harrison Ford lookalike to combat an alien force and its army of dwarves. Even if Phantasm perhaps never quite fully delivers on the surreal imagery that you’d expect from the premise (and that a few tantalising shots hint at), it more than justifies its 90 minutes of goofy fun.

#99: Near Dark (1989)

The least campy de Laurentiis production I’ve seen, which is to say it’s still pretty drat campy. Kathryn Bigelow reunites half the cast from Aliens to bring the vampire myth from dusty castles to dusty streets, mixing western and horror with a distinctly 80s punk aesthetic. Sure, it’s little more than a series of rough sketches, and Bigelow’s relative lack of experience becomes apparent in the disjointed edits at times, but by and large, it’s a good time, in no small part due to Bill Paxton’s deliriously unhinged turn as bloodsucker.

#100: The Vanishing (1988)

No jump scares (no real scares at all honestly), no special effects, no grisly make-up, and no real surprises to speak of either. Nothing but the unflinching portrayal of a sociopath and the man who’d give everything to learn his secrets. Stanley Kubrick famously called this the most terrifying film he’d ever seen, and I can understand where he’s coming from. Like some of his own works and the similarly excellent Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, The Vanishing horrifies precisely because it refrains from dramatizing, instead offering a cold, detached look at the darkest recesses of the human soul. It’s also a good example of how arbitrary genre distinctions are to an extent, as nothing outside of maybe the ending possesses the traits we’d usually associate with a horror film.

That’s the They Shoot Zombies top 100 rounded out. I’d be lying if I said that all films were equally enjoyable, but as a sort of horror ‘canon’, I think it works rather well, covering just about every subgenre and time period and featuring both obvious classics as well as undervalued cult favourites.

Not sure where to go next. I’ll probably take a break from horror for a few days to watch something else, and then maybe continue to round out the top 200. Unless someone has a neat idea. I’m open to suggestions.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dr.Caligari posted:

5 - Killer Workout

Recommended by user NoDadYouShutUp in the horror thread, I went into this blind but could tell it was going to be a good one. Patrons a of fitness club begin to be murdered by a laundry pin that was evidently made out of Damascus steel and poison coated. It pierces several skulls but also instantly drops people from shallow single stab wounds. Highlighting this movie is a high body count, a detective that is a caricature of a detective, some studs duking it out and a crazy amount of music montages. This is just good, stupid fun without as much nudity as I was expecting, and bloody, but not as violent as some other films thanks to the killer choosing a laundry pin as his weapon of choice. Killings happen rapid fire, and like all great 80s films, the business stays open the whole time without a whole lot of concern by the members.

This turns into a fairly good who dunnit, and delivers a satisfying ending. Also features some really awesome 80s 'fitness' music.

4/5

David Pryor almost never does nudity, but somehow his films are even more demeaning than porn to the female actresses.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
I decided to participate in the next horror challenge thread a couple of months back, when I watched Dora and found myself wanting to talk and learn about Hindi and Tamil horror. I'll be getting back to Dora this month, I suspect, but let's cover some new ground (for me) first:

2.) Tumbbad

2018, first watch, Amazon Prime, Hindi

(Hope that image doesn't cause any trouble. I think that's the right tag? This movie has some beautiful shots in it, making excellent use of water to create an ominous mood.)

Tumbbad opens with a quote from Gandhi informing us on the story we're about to watch, a parable about greed and its corrosive effects. The genre that comes out here, more than horror, is the Gothic. Tumbbad's sporting a crumbling estate, overgrown huts, rusted locks, an ancient familial curse, and the generational perpetuation of wicked habits and spiteful cruelties. At every turn, money eats away at the family we're following. Vinayak (Sohum Shah) grows up spiteful and rapacious, the cast-off bastard of a callous and miserly man, and through his own neglect and vice raises up a hungry and avaricious son. And, sure enough, in the finale, what dooms him is the infinite capacity of greed.

The movie's stated gold-vs-grain axis gives us on the one hand Vinayak's wife (Anita Date, and yes that does appear to be the character's name), who mills flour to make ends meet when her husband disappears to go treasure-hunting and attends neighborhood meetings in support of Indian independence. On the other we have gold-hungry Vinayak, who resents his wife's independent industry and consciousness of social issues and is disinterested and cynical about the new age his nation is entering - for Vinayak, modernization only provides new expensive status symbols to acquire to reinforce his position as an "important man."

This has a fairly short runtime by the standards of most Indian films I've seen, and doesn't include the fairly standard comic or romantic interludes - the occasional musical intervention only serves to remind us of the impending ruination behind the scenes of our protagonist's decadent lifestyle.

Not everything you inherit should be claimed.

3.) Child's Play

1988, Rewatch, Amazon Prime

One of the classics. Great effects works, of course, and Dourif was born to be an evil, murderous children's doll. Story-wise, this is an oddly mission-focused Chucky compared to the thrill killer he would become. He's got a list of targets, and everyone else is just in the way.

Something I found myself thinking about this time around - our introduction to the Barclays is a lonely kid, alone among a fair assemblage of toys, entranced by the idea of a genuine companion. Karen's financial and employment situation creates the conditions that bring Chucky into their lives, but it's branding that opens the door - Andy's wearing Good Guys PJs, eating Good Guys cereal, kept company by the Good Guys TV show (even the reruns)... hell, Maggie's done in by a Good Guys hammer. Andy's spent a lot of time alone, and all he wants is a "friend to the end", which advertising is more than happy to offer him.

Of course, by the time we reach Cult, it's all rather come true, hasn't it?

This is the end, friend.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Two episodes down on AvEDs3. So far, so good.

1. The Old Dark House (1932)
Shudder

The sets in Whale's works really deserve so, so much credit. Good movie with a great cast, solid laughs, and such a tense moment at the dining table. A rushed ending even by the era's standards but a fun ride nonetheless.

This month is off to a good start and I'm quite happy to finally have knocked this title off the watchlist.

Films: 1. The Old Dark House (1932) B&W

B&W vs. Color: 1/0

Decades: '30s-1

Countries: Murkin-1

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zombieland (Rewatch)

It's jokey, it's peak "everything is a zombie movie," it's so clearly written for Michael Cera even though they got Eisenberg instead, but goddamn if it doesn't hit the spot. I love this movie. The pop-up tips are just a fantastic framing method.

Friday the 13th (2009)

There was a brief moment where I thought they were gonna do something interesting with "Jason" being a tool weed growers were using to keep people out of their patch, but no - it's just a zombie kid murdering people. The kills are spaced out almost perfectly to make sure you are never far from your next attack, which I appreciate. It's... well, it's a Friday the 13th movie, only shot with modern cameras and competent actors, so it's not a muddy VHS mess. I didn't hate it, but I really don't think it's the series for me.

1. A Serbian Film 2. Beyond the Gates 3.DOOM4. Zombieland 5. Friday the 13th (2009)

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 9, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

25) The Dead Want Women - 2012 - TubiTV

First time watch. I really like the basis they went with on this one. Starting in the '20s at a classic decadent Hollywood party with orgy, a silent film star's given the news that the studio is cancelling her contract since it's moving to talkies and her voice doesn't make the cut. Devastated, she kills everyone at the party which leads to them haunting the house.

When the studios make the switch from silents to talkies, a lot of stars lost their careers either from their voices not being suitable or not meshing with the early sound equipment. And the goings on at the parties of Old Hollywood once the gates were closed and staff paid for their silence is the stuff we can only speculate at.

With all that delicious potential, the film falls a bit flat. They could've done so much more and didn't. I will admit thinking during the orgy scene that it felt more full on softcore than the usual gloss over for that sort of thing.

26) Prison of the Dead - 2000 - Youtube

First time watch. Premise is an eccentric rich guy gathers his friends under false pretenses to a funeral home that was once a witches prison. Ouija board shenanigans later and three undead executioners rise to stalk the living.

Film is probably okay for background noise but something I'll easily skip for future viewings.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, lets get underway on this here Jason marathon I’ve been swearing I’d do… My pace so far has been 1 and 2 in October 2017 and 3 in October ’18. So lets see if we can pick it up to finish by October ’19.

5. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
Available on Amazon Prime.

The film picks up at the end of the last one where after Jason sees his mother killed he tracked down her killer and gets revenge and then starts killing everyone he meets until one fairly anonymous Final Girl got the best of him and killed him. Of course he’s not dead because of unspecified reasons and he’s back to killing annoying teens, creepy people who hook up next to corpses, and really any random innocent person or dog he comes across because he’s Jason.

The weird thing about these films is I spend most of them thinking “Have I seen this?” And I really don’t think I have, I think they’re just so formulaic that they all bleed together. Oh look, a group of one dimensional teens go skinny dipping and then separate to have sex and then are stabbed by stuff. I know a lot of people watch to enjoy the kills but I basically just use them as a countdown clock. Are all the shallow characters introduced to the story solely to be cannon fodder dead? Ok, cool, now its time I should start caring a little about the mildly more developed Final Girl and her peeps who the last act will be centered on. I think her name was Trish? Or was that one of the T named twins? Does it matter?

I suppose I should care that Jason sort of found a machete or that he totally died this time because its the Final Chapter, right? But my biggest take away is probably finding out that Crispin Glover was always weird.

I’ll give it this, the ending was a little different and made me mildly interested in if they follow up on this Tommy fella in the next film. We shall see.

Did I miss it or did the mom totally get killed off camera? Is that somehow where our sensibilities lie with this series?

Really the most interesting thing I saw was Tom Savini’s name in the credits, and I imagine I owe to him the final machette head sliding kill which made me physically cringe and turn away. Still not really my thing, but impressive. Pretty much every other kill in the film seemed to lack any kind of interest or artistry and makes me hope Savini really just showed up for that one big kill thinking it was a special occasion and left the rest of the film to someone else.

You know… because its the Final Chapter.

6. Apostle (2018)
A Netflix film.

A damaged man sneaks onto an island controlled by a cult in an effort to find and rescue his kidnapped sister, but as he tries to unravel the truth and nature of the island and people he discovers disturbing and impossible things and an ever growing danger coming not from the thing that lives in the island, but the people who live on it.

I. loving. Loved. This.

Its funny, I feel like I loved this in all the ways that I dislike the Friday movies. I cared DEEPLY about what was happening in ways I wasn’t expecting. The film was very long but I never thought slow. There was a good pace through the first hour and 20 minutes or so but then the movie kicks into high gear with the “purification” scene and the events leading up to it and following it in the final act and I was engrossed. My heart was in my throat, my stomach was in knots, and my eyes were bugged out of my skull. I cared about the fates of everyone and every action had me fully. If it wasn’t for Train to Busan making me literally cry this would be as strongly as a horror has made me feel since I saw Hereditary. Just like 45 minutes of me being absolutely on the edge of my seat with my whole body in knots.

The film is great on its own but its really championed by a stellar performance from Dan Stevens. It took me awhile to realize where I knew him from but once I realized he was the lead on FX’s Legion I wasn’t surprised by how strong he was. The manic way he acted early, the unspoken anguish he was suffering through the first half of the film, the determination through the terror and shock of what he was going through. Probably the strongest performance I’ve seen of anyone so far this month.

I enjoyed Lucy Boynton as well and recognized her from something but I’m at a total loss. She caught my attention in October for being the least known of the 3 lead actresses in The Blackcoat’s Daughter and I had decided to check out I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House which also stars her and was written and directed by Blackcoat’s Oz Perkins (son of Anthony Perkins). It ended up just going on my long list I’m working on but I think I’m gonna bump it up a level after this.

Interestingly the film was written and directed by Gareth Evans who made the “Safe Haven” piece from V/H/S/ 2, which is probably one of my favorite pieces of that series and one of the few I thought could stand alone as its own film. There’s some similar elements in here of the cult with the real god and sacrifice, but it obviously doesn’t have the same laugh that Evans chose to end that piece on. That always struck me as odd. It was good and tonally proper for the V/H/S series, but seemed off for the piece. But I digress. Evans is now on my “watch out for” list. Apparently all his other work is Indonesian martial arts action flicks. He also apparently passed on making a Justice League Dark film for the DCEU. Huh.

Really, I was a BIG fan of this. If you like Wicker Man or that kind of island or culty thing this is a great watch. And if you just want a good film that rewards engagement check this out.

My May marathon is really rolling along with some really great films so far.

And a Jason movie.

”Wonder How This Holds Up” PreGaming in April
1. World War Z (2013); 2. As Above, So Below (2014); 3. The Cabin in the Woods (2011); 4. The Last Exorcism (2010); 5. Trollhunter (2010); 6. The Blair Witch Project (1999); 7. Unfriended (2014); 8. Absentia (2011); 9. The Last Exorcism Part II (2013); 10. The Prophecy (1995); 11. Dawn of the Dead (1976); 12. Mandy (2018)

May “New To Me/Clean Up” Marathon
Watched - New (Total)
1. From Beyond (1986); 2. Train to Busan (2016); 3. Coraline (2009); 4. The Old Dark House (1932); 5. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984); 6. Apostle (2018)

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

#3. The Head Hunter

This post in the main thread had me intrigued, so I went for it.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Just checked out The Head Hunter on Amazon, really dug it a lot. A Viking-ish mercenary living in a land of trolls/goblins/dragons has his daughter killed by some fell beast and he spends his days traversing the land to kill a variety of creatures and brings their heads back to his shack. Lots of slow zooms and pans makes it feel more horror than fantasy, along with a moody overcast atmosphere. It's also moves quite quickly with it's hour and 10 minute run time. Nothing game changing but I appreciate the unique setting.

Moody is about right, grim is another word I would use for this. It is obviously low budget, but instead of trying to do a lot of things and ending up with everything looking cheap the whole thing is incredibly small scale, within which the budget works wonders. Aside from the hunter you only see two other people, one in two short scenes and one in the distance, for barely a second. The monsters too only show up in flashes, if at all. There are two times the hunter speaks, both of which were unnecessary. The entire movie is beautifully austere and I really dug that. Preparing, woodworking, forging, waiting for the call, the hunter leaves and he returns, often wounded, repeat. It is simple, but not boring.

That being said, the finale very much disappoints. With a runtime of just 70 minutes, the last hunt is quite a chunk of the movie. The problem is that the final monster just isn't scary. The one hunt they decide to show and he is chasing a decapitated head, returned to life, crawling around with its partially regrown body and after it loses that to a beartrap just the spine. The design reminded me of a facehugger, the spider-head from The Thing or a scorpion, which are all great, but a slowly crawling partial corpse just doesn't seem a threat to an experienced hunter who we saw return with werewolf heads and whatsnot. Even when the spine allows it to climb walls and run around at crazy speeds (just go with it), it can do nothing more than jump out and, well....that's it.

I enjoyed most of it, but it really doesn't stick the landing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Final Destination

Sets up the now well-known premise without feeling too forced. The formula is still in its infancy, and a lot of it's shocking out-of-nowhere kills have aged into being more funny than horrific.

I do think making the destruction of the plane (you know, the only thing in this film that actually makes sense with the title beyond "Death is the Final Destination *spooky finger movements*") is a great and terrifying idea. I like that it's more chaotic than just people being tossed out of a plane, and actually involved electricity, and being sucked into the engine, being cut, etc. It's a fun movie, especially the poor teacher who basically dies by creating her own accidental Tom & Jerry cartoon in the kitchen, but it still full of plenty of eye-rolls, mainly due to the lead only being considered charismatic because it's 1999. I do like the John Denver song. "HE DIED ON AN AIRPLANE!"

Best Death: Kitchen

Final Destination 2

Pretty much better in every way to the original. The action is clear, more intense, more violent in surprising ways. There's more paranoia, a messier situation (harder to find people on a high way vs flight seat plans), and the premise of a major car accident on a highway due to a tree logger is terrifying to anyone who's driven by one. It manages to be more suspenseful by obfuscating the death mechanism by usually incorporating a few ways the deaths can occur, which I think is the series strong point. I actually like this cast much more, despite recognizing less of them. Still a little annoying at the redundancy of the clarification of the premise and the new resolution via pregnancy & birth.

Best Death: The actual highway accident. It's crazy good.

Final Destination 3

I would have preferred a different director. James Wong set up the franchise well, but David R. Ellis understood it better and make it more fun, energetic, and surprising. This feels softer in the wrong ways. I like the roller coaster in theory, because it's terrifying in concept (and looks good on a poster), but it's such a bloodless silly affair, with chairs just flying away instead of any cool, gross, horrific effects. It's soft. Wong forgets to ground the film, leaving most of the film without any sense of suspense or direction. I also think the cast is more disappointing, despite my fondness for Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Ryan Merriman. There are a few promising/memorable kills, like the tanning beds, but they feel so rote and perfunctory.

Of these three, I recommend Final Destination 2 the most. I haven't seen these movies in years, and I'm surprised that my favorite one happens to be a later entry. Overall, they're easily watchable, and they make great background noise. Their being on Netflix makes them a nice alternative to The Office or something. Still, I wish I connected to this series more than I do, because they are a favorite of the horror thread, and I've seen how suspenseful the premise can be..

Total: 4
New: The Vanishing
Rewatch: Final Destination 1-3

I have started TWO other movies for this challenge very late at night and fell asleep. So I'll finish those up sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The Eye in the Labyrinth
After a nightmare about her boyfriend's murder inside of a labyrinth, a woman wakes up alone, her partner disappeared. A suspicious man leads her to a villa by the sea, inhabited by an odd group of artists. Among their web of intrigue, can she find out what happened to her lover?
Now that's a good one. Nothing spectacular on the technical side, just an extremely solid mystery with many twists and turns, but never too convoluted to follow.

Robo Vampire
After Daoist vampires kill a drug agent, he is made into a cyborg and fights back with machineguns and flamethrowers. It's a total mess from start to finish, everything is wrong, they use guinea pigs in place of sewer rats at one point, there's a whole second movie with no connection to the first spliced in, the action is surprisingly solid though. Very fun bad movie.

The Black Belly of the Tarantula
A masked, gloved, behatted murderer kills women. Derivative, even Ennio Morricone is phoning it in. Skip.