Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
I totally get the nostalgic feeling towards classic wow (and I dont judge). I have such fond memories of the loving nolifing that went into molten core. However comparing objectivly the game to todays standards then jeah, not even remotely interesting. I am going to try some obscure stuff out for a change. Like Dragons Dogma Online with english fan translation. I adore DD combat and they claim it is unchanged in the MMO so perhaps it will scratch the itch until something pops up somewhere.
Feel free to recommend shite. I actually prefer one time payment model (ESO) or subscription service with not MTX involved and no insane grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
DDO not coming to the West is just stunning and tells me that Japanese developers are just throwing darts at the board to see what sticks over here.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Glenn Quebec posted:

DDO not coming to the West is just stunning and tells me that Japanese developers are just throwing darts at the board to see what sticks over here.

Not coming to west is inconvinient but not a showstopper. I have it installed at home (left VPN running overnight to download 35gigs) and intend to dive in today.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
At first DDO not coming West was kind of understandable since it was Capcom first ever MMO and they wanted to keep it easy but after all these years and the massive amount of sales porting Dragon's Dogma to multiple platforms I have no idea what the hold up is. There is even going to be a Netflix show in the US, release the F2P MMO already!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truga posted:

This little known MMO I played called d&d online had a toggle (default bind T), you pushed it and it was free look 3rd person game, you pushed it again and got your mouse cursor back. It's not exactly rocket surgery.

GW2 has this, too, as of the first expansion I think. Not everyone uses the free-look just because it can make it harder to place ground targets (you end up swinging your camera around like crazy) but I like it a lot for some classes.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

madfury posted:

Not coming to west is inconvinient but not a showstopper. I have it installed at home (left VPN running overnight to download 35gigs) and intend to dive in today.

I hate having some stuff be in Japanese and others not. I appreciate the Herculean effort to fan translate and patch something of this scope but I don't want to rent a VPN and do some other fuckery to play a game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

GW2 has this, too, as of the first expansion I think. Not everyone uses the free-look just because it can make it harder to place ground targets (you end up swinging your camera around like crazy) but I like it a lot for some classes.

yeah i can't use that poo poo for staff ele, but for dagger ele it's amazing since it has no targeted aoes.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Glenn Quebec posted:

I hate having some stuff be in Japanese and others not. I appreciate the Herculean effort to fan translate and patch something of this scope but I don't want to rent a VPN and do some other fuckery to play a game.

I can respect that! I just want to try the game.
PS. SoftEther VPN solution is free and i was able to connect to JP endpoint and download 7-8MB per sec (for those who are considering giving it a shot)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One of these days I'll have to try out DDO. If nothing else, the High Scepter class looks like it is extremely my poo poo--I'm an absolute sucker for an agile swordmage-type guy with awesome-looking nukes.

Although not much compares to the kind of cool bouncing around Alchemists get to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBxqtAVRUmE&t=42s

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

yergacheffe posted:

Thanks for elaborating. That makes it sound more like if an established MMO spun off a server with the base game level of content and progressively unlocked its expansions, allowing new players to experience the content as if everyone on the server was new to it. Then given the structure of chinagame.exe, when the eventual merge happens the new players would have roughly the same power level but just not as many toys to fight with.

Yup, that's basically it. It's an incredibly effective way of getting new players and even old retired players into the game, without alienating your existing player base.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

While I don't play DDO, I used WTFast for Chinagame. It's a bit pricier, but it's basically pantsonheadretarded easy to setup since the only thing you actually have to do is select which game you want to play, and it the application automates everything else for you. I also had reasonable ping most of the time as well (West Coast -> China 150ms).

Khorne
May 1, 2002

housemaster!!1 posted:

For me the best mmo experience was Ragnarok Online back in ~2003/2004. Getting home from school and grind until 4 AM - Good times!
There was so much stuff to grind and oddly enough I never got bored. I'm still getting nervous when I see the picture of a monster card lying on the ground.
It's because RO has pretty solid actual-gameplay. The only combat thing that sucked was auto attacking as a melee. And server lag. Plenty of other things sucked about other aspects of the game, but it had some really fun class balance & roles, pvp, and grindy gameplay loops.

It's a shame that the current private server emulators mangled the game's core movement, attacking, and skill using mechanics so much when eAthena got them right and then some.

And then there's all the updates they did to kill the game and the real incompetent management.

Did you know they literally banned all eu and eu-adjacent (not even actual eu) players from official servers due to the new EU legislation that came out? Compliance would have been trivial, but the order came from above to just ban everyone. Turns out that it kills your already dying community even faster when you ban people who have played your game for 15 years and who are friends with the other remaining players. Who knew?

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 3, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
I need to give DDO another try. It has kind of a lot of on-boarding stuff before you start doing any of the interesting Dragon's Dogma stuff.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's weird they made an mmo and slapped the elder scrolls name on it rather than make an elder scrolls game that's an mmo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Ragnarok Online is basically a slightly slower paced top down arpg. That's what was so good about it, that gameplay loop is just so satisfying. You think up a stupid build, you hit level 30 on various flavours of poring, then go to underprison, and emerge a day and 30 deaths later, level 70-80, with your build online and working. And there's a couple different fun builds to just run around maps and kill poo poo with for every single class, so there was a gigantic variety of supported playstyles.

This is in contrast to modern MMOs where a class will sometimes have just one viable build, and even if it does, it's pre-determined by developers exactly what skills you should pick if you want to be even remotely useful.

I played RO as much as I did for as long as I did because I could do amazing bullshit like agi dps knights, dodge wizards, auto-falcon hunters, and strength rogues. All builds off-meta, all amazing fun to play. The top down + grid nature could also make positioning and aoe on any class pretty involved, especially casters who would get their spells interrupted by taking even 1 point of damage. Also the fact that you could run around a map to gather a bunch of poo poo before blowing it up with aoe skills because unless you run out of its aggro range, it'll just keep following forever.

And then they started adding bullshit to the game like leveling to 99 all over again, but this time it's 3 times the xp, and I think now mobs even have a leash so you can't even get a big pack before blowing them up?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's weird they made an mmo and slapped the elder scrolls name on it rather than make an elder scrolls game that's an mmo.

Is that how the process went?

My brief stint in the game pre-One Tamriel's merged maps and levelling egalisation gave me a solid impression that it was mostly made for the exploration of much of Northern and Western Tamriel and then some cross-server faction versus faction versus faction PVP.

Hell, they even had some good lore expanding on retconning some of the bad decisions of Oblivion into sensible writing. In a game that happened before Oblivion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah it just doesn't play like an elder scrolls game at all so that's why i characterized it that way.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

It would not be possible to make an elder scrolls game that is an MMO. You know mods and system commands would absolutely not be allowed in a multiplayer game.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 4, 2020

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah it just doesn't play like an elder scrolls game at all so that's why i characterized it that way.

That's because "playing like an elder scrolls game" is fundamentally incompatible with the idea of sharing a massive world with people.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i mean it looks/controls nothing like one. i don't mean the whole "you're the chosen one" thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You're right, it's better playing and controlling than a SP Elder Scrolls game.

Granted not a high bar.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

puberty worked me over posted:

full PvP with full loot

keep living the dream i guess

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Orv posted:

You're right, it's better playing and controlling than a SP Elder Scrolls game.

Granted not a high bar.

oh yeah i wasn't making a judgment on quality (i don't like the elder scrolls games for the most part) just that it'sw eird they made it nothing like one apart from being set in the same world.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

puberty worked me over posted:

A real elder scrolls MMO would be funny as heck. Like I'm talking if you maybe allowed 100 players in one instanced shard of Skyrim's world and kept it on full PvP with full loot minus quest items. Add a basic grouping feature so a few friends can join the same instance and just watch the insane chaos unfold. Sort of like a medieval fantasy GTA V.

That would be fun for about a week before the super groups overlevel and outnumber the lesser off/small group/solo players and just gank the every leveling poo poo out of every one. And then players start quitting, causing the gankers to quit, until no one is left.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
It only kinda counts as an MMO but I feel like Dungeon Fighter Online needs a shoutout for actually being a pretty cool mmo-esque brawler game.

Would really love to see someone do that at big AAA budget.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i mean it looks/controls nothing like one. i don't mean the whole "you're the chosen one" thing.

I really hated elder scrolls online's combat and even... just like movement felt bad.

But Elder scrolls combat is also extremely dumb and poor so... :v:

Its not like they could balance an online game around letting you pause and eat 30 wedges of cheese, which is basically the crux of skyrim's lovely combat.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 4, 2020

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was talking about the amount of agency and the impact you have in the world, including movement and character controls. For both gameplay design and technical reasons, it is not practical to have blocking hitboxes or to be allowed to put a bucket over some NPC's head to steal all their stuff.

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry

Zaphod42 posted:

And the music was also fantastic and I'll never forget several tracks

This guy has slowly putting out HQ remasters of all of the original Everquest tracks

https://soundcloud.com/eq-music-reimagined

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Harrow posted:

Dungeons and Dragons Online (the REAL DDO) remains one of the most fun MMOs I've ever played. 6 person small squad dungeoneering with jumps, dodge rolls, traps, puzzles, and voiced "DM" narration throughout.

A wild good time

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pyrocat posted:

This guy has slowly putting out HQ remasters of all of the original Everquest tracks

https://soundcloud.com/eq-music-reimagined

Ahhhh, so good. gently caress now I gotta boot up p1999 again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Any of you nerds planning on playing WoW Classic?

https://www.pcgamer.com/wow-classic/

Looking at their plans to slow roll the content, having to actually unlock AQ on the server again... it got me nostalgic. I may have to play a bit.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm sure there's more than a few goons interested, but not me. I'll never give blizzard my money.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

2006? didn't it come out in 2004?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Groovelord Neato posted:

2006? didn't it come out in 2004?

August 2006 is when patch 1.12 launched, which is where Classic will be starting from.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

August 2006 is when patch 1.12 launched, which is where Classic will be starting from.

Sorta. It'll have the item balance of 1.12 but the server state will be that of before 1.12, so it'll be a custom weird hybrid.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

not really classic then. blizzard fumbles a layup once again!

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Groovelord Neato posted:

not really classic then. blizzard fumbles a layup once again!

It's about as close as we are going to get. We don't have to deal with dumb things like an 8 debuff slot limit, but there will only be MC/Ony available as raids from the start. Content phases will allow a sense of progression over the first year with raids like BWL, AQ40, and Naxx releasing in a similar way to how patches worked in Vanilla.

What they do after Naxx comes out is anyone's guess.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

With modern knowledge of the game and databases, true 1.0 would be a rush to exploits. I guess that'll sorta still be true.

What classes were most OP at the end of vanilla? Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
I don't think there will ever be a good MMO again. The last good ones were The Elder Scrolls Online and Guild Wars 2. Now we're stuck with these MMO-lites (The Division, Destiny, etc.) *puke*