Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Just wanted to share this -- fairly important news for anyone looking to get a job in Japan coming out of school.

https://www.japaninc.com/tt989_psychological-challenges-of-being-a-new-mother-in-Japan

quote:

=> Year-round hiring to be allowed

The gloves are off in the race for finding new staff for the major
businesses in Japan. Whereas for 50+ years companies had a
"gentleman's agreement" not to solicit university graduates out of
hiring season (spring each year), so as to make it fairer for all
concerned, the top business organization in Japan, Keidanren, has just
announced that it will allow company members to start soliciting and
hiring new graduates year round. Those companies likely to take
advantage of the relaxed rules will be fast-growing tech firms like
Softbank and others, who hire year-round already from the open market.
A Recruit survey shows that about 10.7% of Japanese firms plan to
start year-round hiring from next year. ***Ed: What the fuss is about
here is that many universities have agreed to allow companies to reach
out to their students earlier. So now we have an alignment with what
already happens overseas - e.g., that the best third-year students
start getting competitive offers well before graduation, which is a
great way to increase their starting salaries.** (Source: TT
commentary from japantimes.co.jp, Apr 20, 2019)

http://bit.ly/2WczJR3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

Here's a dumb question: I have a Swiss Army pocketknife, any reason that'd be an issue bringing over? I mainly wanna bring it so I have a small pair of scissors to cut the bandages with for my tattoo. It'd be in our checked bag, of course.

I took tegaderm with me and just bought a pair of scissors from a convenience store the morning of my appointment. Took absolutely zero searching and cost so little I can't even remember how much, so if you're worried (unnecessarily I think in this case but who knows for sure) that's a viable option.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I'm going to be staying in Namba because as other mentioned its close to transit and fun areas to explore.

When I was in Tokyo and going past some pachinko parlors I only noticed the noise that bled out when the automatic doors opened. Do they do it different in Namba and just have open doors all the time all hours of the day and night in residential areas?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nah. Like Dotonbori is loud as poo poo of course but I don't know what Pollyanna is talking about. I usually stay at a place about a ten minute walk from the biggest Namba Station and it's as quiet as anywhere else in Japan.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Pollyanna posted:

If you're in Osaka definitely don't stay in the Namba area like we did. Super loving crowded and loud pachinko everywhere. I prefer the less noisy areas.

wrong. namba rules.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We stayed here which emptied out directly into the covered mall with loud-rear end pachinko parlors and bright lights. I'm biased cause that poo poo annoys the hell out of me, but getting away from the packed parts was more fun and made things a lot easier. I guess Namba itself wasn't too bad, but still.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
2man a night D:

i'm staying in namba for two nights on this upcoming trip due to weird scheduling issues, but i'm staying at richmond hotel daikokucho namba for 1man a night

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
man you could've stayed in the same area for like $40/night

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Was just about to post, we're going to be staying at an Airbnb just outside of Namba for ~$43 a night

We def don't have full beds and sitting areas though, so if space is important :shrug:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

we had a place in den den town for about that much that was a full mansion. it was pretty dope

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hey, I didn’t choose the place. If it was up to me, it’d be dormy every night.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Walkin' around congratulating Japanese ppl on the elevation of emperor Naruhodo.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Stringent posted:

Walkin' around congratulating Japanese ppl on the elevation of emperor Naruhodo.

I'm going to tip double this week in honor of his emperor.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

We call him Phoenix in America.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Emperor Naruto seems okay.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

They're a nice family ^____^

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
How good is this one at mahjong

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Where should I hit up for some yakiniku? Think that's the only food rec I haven't really looked into.

Fake edit: in Tokyo, Osaka or Kyoto. Thanks!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I posted a place a while ago that was really good. I think it was called Sunmoon?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Where should I hit up for some yakiniku? Think that's the only food rec I haven't really looked into.

Fake edit: in Tokyo, Osaka or Kyoto. Thanks!

Lol
Most chain yakiniku shops will have picture menus. Gyukaku is good for noobs.

I'm excited I just found my local favorite chain, Janjaka is "local" so I am going to ping them about making an English menu...

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Depends on your budget for yakiniku.

Rokkasen in Tokyo is good but not cheap

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

It also depends on your budget since higher-priced yakiniku tends to focus on cuts with more/supposedly better marbling. It's a similar situation as with tuna at sushi places. If you are into leaner cuts, you're in luck since they tend to be much cheaper.

With that in mind. Here are some of my favorite places, from least to most expensive:
https://retty.me/area/PRE13/ARE2/SUB205/100001380520/ (the standing yakiniku I think I mentioned earlier in this thread)
http://yakiniku-futago.com/
http://yakiniku-daigo.com/
https://agingbeef.jp/
https://oya-food.com/shops/beef-kitchen-nakameguro/

Toraji also tends to have fairly consistent quality at each location but the atmosphere of each shop is significantly different. Wife and I prefer the one in Shimbashi 8-chome for atmosphere but we usually end up at the one in Harumi Triton since it's an easy walk from home.

I would say avoid Gyukaku since they are everywhere even in the US now. Not much reason spend time in Japan eating there.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 7, 2019

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

aging beef is a very good name for a dining establishment, so my vote is for that place

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

peanut posted:

They're a nice family ^____^

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I went to a Kushikatsu Daruma and it was pretty dope. I figured out the deal with the sauce eventually.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

God drat it, I miss Japan.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I miss getting decent food at convenience stores, I miss the kinds of food I could get, and I miss how many vending machines there were.

Actually you know what, I miss the massive sugar-free cold drink culture. In the US you either drink sugar (or fake gross sugar) or straight up water. Just because I’m thirsty doesn’t mean I wanna drink a loving jolly rancher. What I wouldn’t give for a vending machine of genmaicha around the corner.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Go to an Asian market and stock up?

It might seem silly, but I really miss those egg salad sandwiches. They really don't taste the same here despite using the same ingredients, for the most part.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I miss Strong Zero.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Go to an Asian market and stock up?

It might seem silly, but I really miss those egg salad sandwiches. They really don't taste the same here despite using the same ingredients, for the most part.

Yeah, no poo poo. Those and the pancakes in the package with the butter and syrup between them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m on a plane to Japan right now. You know what I miss?

Not being trapped in a cramped tube for thirteen hours.

Only halfway there :cry:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I’m on a plane to Japan right now. You know what I miss?

Not being trapped in a cramped tube for thirteen hours.

Only halfway there :cry:

Soon you will miss your body being on schedule.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i'm fine with being in the airplane because
1) i'm short
2) i'm no longer in america
3) i get to watch like 5 movies

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

I miss Strong Zero.

:yeah:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm extremely basic, when I'm in japan I drink nothing but asahi. I genuinely like it a lot and it tastes better there

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
isn't asahi in the states just brewed up in canada?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Phone posted:

isn't asahi in the states just brewed up in canada?

I think so, it tastes completely different

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah. Most big foreign beers are brewed by more local contract since that's easier than shipping it so far.

I've never seen Strong Zero or chuhai outside Japan and the sake selection isn't as good, so those are mainly what I'm chugging 24/7 in Glorious Nippon.

Last time I was there I got a can of every Japanese macrobrew one night and settled on Ebisu and Kirin as my personal winners. But I think outside Japan, Asahi is better than Kirin.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

I've never seen Strong Zero or chuhai outside Japan and the sake selection isn't as good, so those are mainly what I'm chugging 24/7 in Glorious Nippon.

This is because most Japanese businesses hate making money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

harperdc posted:

Soon you will miss your body being on schedule.

I tried to stay up all night prior to the flight so I could force myself to sleep on the plane but it turns out I still can’t sleep on planes so at this point I’m going to be navigating rush hour Yamanote with luggage looking for my airbnb after being awake for like 30 hours straight.

:thumbsup: