Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Speaking of, is the XP/gold just based on time played or do points factor in? I had one really good match skewering noobs left and right, and it didn't pay out much more than the ones where I got stomped repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Are there plans for a goon clan and/or server? Goon clans are fun.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SplitSoul posted:

Speaking of, is the XP/gold just based on time played or do points factor in? I had one really good match skewering noobs left and right, and it didn't pay out much more than the ones where I got stomped repeatedly.

I think it's just time, I kept tracking my score and stuff to see if it would map at all and so far it doesn't. I think this is to avoid cheating on hosted servers.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Maybe, I don't know if it's confirmation bias but I do seem to make a lot more money based on how much rear end I'm kicking. This is more apparent when you're playing with a friend; a buddy of mine routinely makes more money and XP than me because he sits there on the objective a lot of builds a bunch of defenses.

I think it's both. You'll get more from being present the whole match, and you'll get extra based on performance. I don't think winning has anything to do with your payout other than the fact that if you're winning you're probably performing better.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
This game is something else. Between the rebalanced mechanics and seemingly a much smarter playerbase I can't abuse pubbies with complete impunity using spears like I could in Chivalry.

Does anyone else have issues with parrying late all the time? I remember in Chivalry you could hit the button almost immediately before impact and be safe, but it seems like there's considerable startup time now which is throwing my muscle memory way off.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I had to train myself to parry late, on reaction, to deal with feints. I still get feinted all the time though lol

Ritznit posted:

Are there plans for a goon clan and/or server? Goon clans are fun.

There's no official way to make in-game clans yet but the community manager has mentioned that they're coming, so when that happens, myself or some other goon will found one. As for a server, I'd host one but money lol

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
If enough people pick this up and enjoy it, funding a server shouldn't be an issue. You never know. Official clan building should come first though, yeah, no rush. I just like having a decently sensible community to play with, especially in a game like this where you meet an unpleasant amount of assholes and racists.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I always carry a spear with me :madmax:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX-gCQTMCz4

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

timn posted:

seemingly a much smarter playerbase

Yes, I have disabled chat as well.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

soy posted:

I think it's just time, I kept tracking my score and stuff to see if it would map at all and so far it doesn't. I think this is to avoid cheating on hosted servers.

Definitely seems like just time, like the the minute or seconds too. We've had like 6 or so guys playing the same Frontlines server in our discord at at time, and all of our gold rewards are extremely close, probably based on time alive or something, despite a pretty big range of scores, KDRs, etc.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Something related to time definitely would make sense to me. I did some of the joke weapon achievements figuring that, hey, this'll probably be the easiest time to do it since most everyone still sucks and I was still getting plenty of xp and gold despite doing no objectives and getting very few kills or assists.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I hate horses and I hate firepots, so I've been running a 3-3-3 Billhook build with fireproof and it's been loving magical. The only thing that is more satisfying than charging through fire to stab some bare-headed moron in his dumb surprised face, is stopping a dipshit on a horse dead in his tracks and watching my teammates pin cushion him while he desperately struggles to his feet.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Its amazing how sometimes a weapon just clicks with you and its as if that's the weapon you should have used the whole time.

I'd used all the big rear end 2h swords and plenty of the shorter swords, ignoring longsword because it seemed like it existed in some strange in between zone. But I buy it because, hey why not, then go 16-0 wtf. I guess I'm home now, feels good.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
So I was hitting a wall with the 2h spear due to lovely damage and decided to give the halberd a whirl and:

Perestroika posted:

The halberd is real, and strong, and my friend.

Seriously, I knew it was the weapon for me when I looked at its stats and saw it had two modes: Murder, and Murder.

Holy poo poo, when you absolutely have to kill every motherfucker on the battlefield, accept no substitutes.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The spear is awesome. It certainly changes things when you can get into a mindset that everything is a stab for the head, but you have a bunch of ways to do it. You have to stab the head though, for it to be worthwhile.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Captain Beans posted:

Its amazing how sometimes a weapon just clicks with you and its as if that's the weapon you should have used the whole time.

I'd used all the big rear end 2h swords and plenty of the shorter swords, ignoring longsword because it seemed like it existed in some strange in between zone. But I buy it because, hey why not, then go 16-0 wtf. I guess I'm home now, feels good.

The long sword is the poster child of the game! It and the estoc are the only two weapons that can use the mordhau stance.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I feel weird being on a winning team just being a lute guy.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Why? At least that way you're doing something

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Crabtree posted:

I feel weird being on a winning team just being a lute guy.

In my experience with the lute it's a heck of a way to distract enemies because players in frontline are super thirsty for kills. Combine it with a smoke bomb and bear trap to be a really devious bard.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

One of the achievements is to get a kill with the training sword, a weapon that does around the same amount of damage as the carving knife.

Goddamnit why did I bother looking up the achievements

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
one of the chevos is also to kill someone with a emote that does one damage and has a windup time of like four seconds

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The secret trick to both of these is to find somebody packing the fleshwound perk. Kill them once, then tap them with the lovely 1damage thing to finish them off while they're cheating death and hopping around on one leg.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

one of the chevos is also to kill someone with a emote that does one damage and has a windup time of like four seconds

Ah, that must be the secret one.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gamerofthegame posted:

End him rightly

God I just woke up, have to go to work but really I'd just want to play some more facestab: the game

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The secret trick to both of these is to find somebody packing the fleshwound perk. Kill them once, then tap them with the lovely 1damage thing to finish them off while they're cheating death and hopping around on one leg.

An additional trick that applies to some joke weapon cheevos is that throwing the weapon counts. It's especially useful with the carving knife because throwing it at a naked head is a one-shot kill.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gobblecoque posted:

In my experience with the lute it's a heck of a way to distract enemies because players in frontline are super thirsty for kills. Combine it with a smoke bomb and bear trap to be a really devious bard.

What exactly does playing a lute do in this game? Cause the prospect of being a lovely bard amuses me greatly but I don't want to be literally useless.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

What exactly does playing a lute do in this game? Cause the prospect of being a lovely bard amuses me greatly but I don't want to be literally useless.

You can smack people upside the head with it. Besides that it provides a cheerful soundtrack to the slaughter, especially if people use that macro thingy to play proper melodies.

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/13519/mordhau-lute-bot/

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 6, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm beginning to think this game might have more cheese than Chivalry. It's not as bad as reversals but goddamn some things need tweaking.

Still fantastic, mind you, just frustrating to be having a decent fight and someone comes in spam stabbing.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The rapier, short spear, halberd, and zweihander seem to be kind of the outlier weapons from what I've seen. Feels like the latter two are balanced by having a huge cost even though you can mulch teams with them, but the rapier and ss are just kind of ???. Those are just the weapons that kind of have alarm bells ringing in my head as far as being kind of out there in their roles and really easy to use/painful to play against.

Rapier in light or no armor with rush as a perk means you can just zip through teams poking everyone without a helmet in the head.

Rush in general seems to be REALLY good for high damage output + light armor combinations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Bardiche is so good, but holy poo poo I keep getting way more kills with the peasant scythe. Even though the peasant scythe is "Bardiche: Except it stops dealing damage against tier 2 armor and can't thrust". (A closer look at the stats, and they seem to have identical speed/length numbers

I can only assume it is because nobody takes a peasant seriously, while the sight of a 1/1/1 lederhosen warrior puts people on their guard.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 6, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Commoners posted:

The rapier, short spear, halberd, and zweihander seem to be kind of the outlier weapons from what I've seen. Feels like the latter two are balanced by having a huge cost even though you can mulch teams with them, but the rapier and ss are just kind of ???. Those are just the weapons that kind of have alarm bells ringing in my head as far as being kind of out there in their roles and really easy to use/painful to play against.

Rapier in light or no armor with rush as a perk means you can just zip through teams poking everyone without a helmet in the head.

Rush in general seems to be REALLY good for high damage output + light armor combinations.

I still have to try those weapons, but as a poo poo-tier scrub I can attest that light / no armor is a huge disadvantage if you're not very good at the game. Even a glancing blow from a 2 hander will leave you an inch from death.

It should be OK to reward good players that can dodge and dance around enemies, or at least make that strategy effective, because the second they make a mistake they're toast, and you can clearly see it when they're against other good players. It is a super effective and relatively safe strategy vs. noobs that barely know how to parry let alone counterattack or feint though, for obvious reasons.

What I guess I'm saying is, right now there's a pretty huge skill differential - a lot of people are very, very good at the game having 1000's of hours in Chivalry and Mordhau alpha, and a lot more are poo poo tier scrubs like me who barely played a few dozen hours of Chiv and Mordhau if at all. What seems "broken" might just be good players effortlessly tearing through noobs. I guess until we get proper matchmaking where you (in theory) should get matched with similar skill opponents, or until the playground levels a bit and the players' skill distribution is more "normal", this will remain a pretty big factor

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 6, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Put in some serious playtime for the first time yesterday, it was a lot of fun. I was cackling maniacally even when I died.

And yeah, the average skill level is pretty high already. I have 1000+ hours in Chivalry and was still in the middle of the pack most of the time.

I was playing base Veteran, how much does customization help?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
For my skill level, I have ~30 hours of mount and blade mp, 13 hours chivalry, and now 20 hours mordhau. I tend to push myself into the upper brackets of play in any games I play because I like learning systems and then getting better at them, but never quite get into super-sweaty tiers of gameplay for my capabilities.

My skill level is where I can block someone almost indefinitely in a 1v1 if they're just spamming, can break through people who also know how to block with feints and morphs, and can pretty reliably fight in 2v1s and 3v1s against people who are just swinging wildly. The moment a player shows up who also knows how to feint/morph I'll start reliably taking hits and I'd say that I end up with a 50/50 chance against them, and against those players who cleave through teams I can pretty much only win by clonking them on the back of the head while they aren't looking at me.

With normal weapon kits and playing seriously I'll normally end up at a 1.5 or 2 to 1 kill/death ratio, but using any of those four weapons and playing like an idiot clown I shoot up in games to 60 to 70 kills with mid-20s deaths. I use a variety of armor and perks with those different weapons, so it's definitely feels like those are the factor that makes me bust into game-carrying capabilities instead of just being a dependable player slot.

One thing that I've noticed that's in common with the zwei, halberd, and rapier is that they're all capable of getting one-shot hits. I think being able to immediately clear chaff out of a fight so that you can focus on other targets uninterrupted is a huge thing, especially if you just snap between targets to poke people out when they think they have an opportunity while ganging up on you.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I bought this over the weekend. I had no idea it was a thing or existed, but it popped up on the Steam main page for me, I was intrigued, then I saw that 5 or 6 of the old Mount and Blade CRPG goons I have in my friends list were all playing it the entire weekend and was instantly sold.

So hello CRPG goons, it's been a lonnnnnnng time. I'm looking forward to getting into shenanigans with you and likely getting banned from sperglord servers who take everything way too seriously.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Well then I just need to make myself a couple loadouts with those weapons and stop being a burden on my teammates with my 1:4 K:D ratio :v:

My precise aim sucks so I prefer horizontal slashes and diagonal overheads to stabs (that I miss way too often, adrenaline makes my hands shake :smith: ), so I should go with the halberd or zweihander out of those 4, yes?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

siggy2021 posted:

So hello CRPG goons, it's been a lonnnnnnng time. I'm looking forward to getting into shenanigans with you and likely getting banned from sperglord servers who take everything way too seriously.

The serious business players all play in duel servers. In my experience most of the whiners get shut down immediately and the rest of us players go back to dealing with, for example, 3 players dressed as gnomes using frying pans, tool boxes, and smoke bombs teaming on a deathmatch server. It's all in good fun (so far).

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
If you want to be the most annoying guy in the game make an all fire pot load out and find a team deathmatch server on that castle ruins map. Just keep doing laps to the ammo box in the middle.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
Firepots are pretty bs. But what is really bs is two handed weapons on horseback.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Comrayn posted:

If you want to be the most annoying guy in the game make an all fire pot load out and find a team deathmatch server on that castle ruins map. Just keep doing laps to the ammo box in the middle.

That load out really shines on horseback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Is he using the directional key mode for swing angle?

Also what's the point of throwing knives, they just seem like worse throwing axes, do you get more of em or something?

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 6, 2019