Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I’ve never really been a fan of Wally as a character but his battle music in ORAS is fantastic(Does he have it in USUM at the Battle Tree?). Also rebattling him at the Battle resort has a 1% chance of rewarding an Ability Capsule, which afaik is the only way to get them without BP.

Vandar posted:

The level curve in Gen II is hosed and they didn't fix it for the remakes. They're arguably the worst games in the series as far as grinding goes.

On the other end of the spectrum, I think it’s too easy to over level in ORAS because of the Exp Share. I’m at E4 and my Pokémon are 15+ levels higher(also Altaria levels super quick at high level).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Vandar posted:

To give you an idea of how bad it is, the Pokemon in Victory Road cap out at level 33.

they what?

I thought the curve fell off cause of the path split with the gym leaders then spiked towards the end, I didn't realise it was that low for that long

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Dabir posted:

they what?

I thought the curve fell off cause of the path split with the gym leaders then spiked towards the end, I didn't realise it was that low for that long

It's that low FOREVER, because inexplicably, all the wild Pokemon in Kanto are even weaker! In the "Second stage" of the game! That you can't even get to before beating the "bosses" of the game! It's such a bad game in many ways.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, there's not a single Pokemon above level 40 outside of Gyms, the Elite 4, and Mount Silver - not counting your Rival. Even the trainers on the routes, at least in the original game, stayed in that same 25-33 range, IIRC.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I don't think the Gen II games or the remakes are that great.

This is one of the reasons why.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
33? Christ...

Oh god GF is gonna keep this lvl curve in lets go 2, wont they?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Considering how easy it is to overlevel in Let's Go, I think that'd be hard for them to retain that uh "feature" of second gen.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the fifth through seventh gym, I can understand why that ended up happening.

Because of the way Johto is laid out, once you beat Morty you can actually challenge the next three gym leaders in any drat order you want. Because beating Chuck isn't actually necessary to fight Jasmine, it just unlocks a shortcut back to Olivine. Which means that they basically forced themselves to put those three Gym Leaders, and thus all the content between them, within the same level range. But there's simply no excuse for not ramping it up once you've got seven badges.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's a very puzzling thing. They did fix Kanto in the remakes, but they didn't really fix Johto. It does make the game harder, but not really in a fun way.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I feel kind of annoyed by how many pokemon I'd love to use, but their stats or movesets are awful. Luvdisc is so freaking cute for a fish, but I doubt even in an in game team it would work well. Liepard, too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
An option for enemy scaling in Sw/Sh would be nice.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Aerofallosov posted:

I feel kind of annoyed by how many pokemon I'd love to use, but their stats or movesets are awful. Luvdisc is so freaking cute for a fish, but I doubt even in an in game team it would work well. Liepard, too.

The first Purrloin I found was shiny so I absolutely used Liepard as part of my team in Black, and she was pretty as heck but a huge drag on my team.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

BlazetheInferno posted:

For the fifth through seventh gym, I can understand why that ended up happening.

Because of the way Johto is laid out, once you beat Morty you can actually challenge the next three gym leaders in any drat order you want. Because beating Chuck isn't actually necessary to fight Jasmine, it just unlocks a shortcut back to Olivine. Which means that they basically forced themselves to put those three Gym Leaders, and thus all the content between them, within the same level range. But there's simply no excuse for not ramping it up once you've got seven badges.

It's really hosed even before that, though. Wild Pokemon and even some Trainer mons are like, Lv2-15 up to Morty. You're lucky to get more than 1 average level increase per route. It makes no sense.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 6, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh goddamnit I just realized all the towns in Gen 1 are named after colours, and you start in Pallet town...

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

RatHat posted:

Oh goddamnit I just realized all the towns in Gen 1 are named after colours, and you start in Pallet town...

Gen2 are plants, and then I think it just all goes to poo poo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RatHat posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, I think it’s too easy to over level in ORAS because of the Exp Share. I’m at E4 and my Pokémon are 15+ levels higher(also Altaria levels super quick at high level).

That's a problem with Gen 6 in general. The Exp Share expects you to shuffle a much bigger team than you're likely to use, so if you aren't doing that and you have it on at all times, you'll gain far more experience than you should due to Game Freak Game Freaking and changing the perfect Gen 5 curve to the original while giving you the game breaking item that is the buffed up Share.

Gen 7 greatly fixes this by doing the obvious and returning the Gen 5 level curve... While also removing any easy way to grind, because we can't keep all improvements, that'd be silly.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gen6 towns are clouds aren't they

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

That was Gen 5. Nimbasa, Icirrus, Striaton, etc.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Vandar posted:

I don't mind the traditional catching mechanics but for gently caress's sake give me a Move Reminder that takes an easier to farm currency than Heart Scales.

Preferably one that just takes, y'know, money and doesn't require going on a wild Luvdisc hunt.

I'm so sorry.

The level curve in Gen II is hosed and they didn't fix it for the remakes. They're arguably the worst games in the series as far as grinding goes.

Don’t remind me. Gen II gets so much nostalgia despite being so terribly designed.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Dabir posted:

Gen 5 is clouds, Gen 6 is perfume ingredients.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Geostomp posted:

Don’t remind me. Gen II gets so much nostalgia despite being so terribly designed.

That's because the day/night cycle, proper weekly calendar, radio, events, two regions, world building, etc all contribute to a more feature-rich environment that leaves a lasting impression.

Gen 3 not only strips away a lot of that but the substitutions for other aspects are subpar in comparison. Gen 3 dragged the actual backbone engine of the game kicking and screaming into the future, which it definitely needed to do before it became too late, but not without some significant sacrifices to the feel of the game world (on top of the actual choices they made for the design of Hoenn).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hg is v good

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Emalde posted:

That's because the day/night cycle, proper weekly calendar, radio, events, two regions, world building, etc all contribute to a more feature-rich environment that leaves a lasting impression.

Gen 3 not only strips away a lot of that but the substitutions for other aspects are subpar in comparison. Gen 3 dragged the actual backbone engine of the game kicking and screaming into the future, which it definitely needed to do before it became too late, but not without some significant sacrifices to the feel of the game world (on top of the actual choices they made for the design of Hoenn).

Yeah, G2 gets a lot of good memories because it brought so many improvements and additions of such scale all at once that hasn't really been replicated in any generational change since. G6 to G7 was probably the next most dramatic with removing HMs and the whole Gym system (kind of). There was a whole lot of hype around it and a lot of the love is just nostalgia but the love for G2 is not entirely unearned as it brought a whole new level of polish and depth to the series that would make it into what it is now.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Emalde posted:

Ironically, the Hoenn games are the only Gen 3 games that do have an in-game clock of sorts (Although as you mentioned, its downplayed and it only affects berries, daily events and the tides in Shoal Cave). As for having two regions in one game, I figured that Game Freak doesn't do that anymore since they can just make the "second half" its own game and now every generation has at least two "campaigns", which are either remakes like FRLG, HGSS and ORAS, or something else like Black 2 and White 2 or Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Emalde posted:

When I was a kid I was a bit annoyed with Gen 3 because Hoenn felt too much like a reskinned Kanto (Rock-type first gym, Electric-type third gym, Pokemon graveyard, early-game bird, electric rodents, etc.) A lot of those repeated elements have become just how the franchise works (and I can at least see the logic of repeating gym themes instead of having non-monotype gyms).

Even as a kid, though, I thought Abilities and Contests were cool innovations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Farecoal posted:

I'm playing HG and trying to beat the Kimono Girls, but my Pokemon are a bit under-leveled. Are there any place with wild Pokemon in Johto that are about lvl 35?

The Safari Zone route is open by that point, right?

There's Tauros in the grass south of the gate on Route 48 that tend to give 400 exp a pop

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Yeah. I ended up just using a code for 10x experience. I just don't have the patience for grinding

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a weaker monster can defeat a stronger one, wit hthe right strategy - Sun Tzu

Feb 2, 2005
The terrible level curve crushes my desire to replay the Gen II games. Which is a real shame because I really like the aesthetic of Johto. Sort of sleepy and pastel.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

oddium posted:

a weaker monster can defeat a stronger one, wit hthe right strategy - Sun Tzu

Is Karen actually Sun Tzu? Serious Pokémon revelations happening right now

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Ultra Sun Tzu was better

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

less laughter posted:

Ultra Sun Tzu was better

Hey, here's some war advice you didn't ask for!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dias posted:

Hey, here's some war advice you didn't ask for!

Then he used his fight money to buy two of every pokemon on earth. Then he sorted them into the PC, and then he deleted each and every one of them.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I found this today it's amazing and you should all watch.

Imagine if Pokemon and Ghostbusters had a crossover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRPRRuPB1no

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Vinylshadow posted:

Then he used his fight money to buy two of every pokemon on earth. Then he sorted them into the PC, and then he deleted each and every one of them.

Thank you for this chuckle

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

SuperKlaus posted:

The best way to revise moves and add depth would probably be something like six moves but with a cool down timer on a move post-use. I'm thinking particularly of the card game BattleCON, where you assemble moves on the fly with cards from your hand and the used cards go in to a cool down cycle to prevent spamming of the highest damage and speed options. Board and card games about 1v1 combat like BattleCON and Yomi and many others offer a wealth of ideas on how Pokémon could improve.

It'd honestly be better than PP, which matters approximately never.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I almost always pick the fire starter, and continue to do so for each new mainline game. In playing through OR, however, I picked Treecko, as it's my 5th time through 3rd gen and my partner picked Torchic for her playthrough.

Fury Cutter is the most amazing move. Pick it. Pick it again. It murders everything, even things resistant to it. Bug finally shines.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

oddium posted:

hg is v good

Tell me your secrets. I keep burning put before the third gym because it feels so goddamn slow. Not just the levelling, but even with running shoes I feel like I'm running through jello.

In other games: Please stop killing yourself Ho-oh.

Also, what would be the best game to do a Bug Maniac playthrough?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

In Black/White 2 you can get an early godly Volcarona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nasgate posted:

Also, what would be the best game to do a Bug Maniac playthrough?

Alxprit posted:

In Black/White 2 you can get an early godly Volcarona.

Gen V in general has a ton of really awesome bugs.