Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
There's a lot of side stuff that could make for good episodes in a semi-anthology way. They already kind of did that. The season is treading water because of behind the scenes problems and it shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I did the exact same thing. I read chapter summaries of the entire book. I can feel how slow season 3 will be.

S3 it's going to be an entire season of shadow in that Lakeside town as Michael, getting to know the locals, going on road trips failing to pick up gods... Nothing happens until the end of the season when someone recognizes him and turns him in for robbing the atm/bank

So yeah, gently caress this non plot...

I think after reading the wiki that there's only enough turning points for a 2 season miniseries like a UK show (think Life on Mars style).

Can you link to the individual chapter synopsis? I got bored too and spoiled some stuff on Wikipedia but it wasn’t very detailed.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Have they said whether they were going to work Anasi Boys into the show?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Fried Watermelon posted:

Have they said whether they were going to work Anasi Boys into the show?

I believe they are.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Donald Glover/Donald Glover in a fat suit as the brothers

edit: wait he's not actually fat anymore in the book he just has the nickname, right? Oh well they can change that.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Fat Charlie isn't actually fat you uncultured swine!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeah I remembered that part, it's been a while since I read the books.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Wrap up Shadow and start Anansi boys overlapping next season. Imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Anansi Boys is sooooo much better than AG anyway.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I still have vague ideas of what happened in the last episode.

Tech Boy willed himself back to life?
New Media got info from Mr World to send the cops after Shadow/Funeral Home Gods (What did they even do apart from stand around? Anubis, the trickster spider god and Bilquis?)
Djinn and Salim run away
Mr Wednesday ate food?
Money is suffering?
Shadow gets pulled into the creepy tree and imagines the problems away? Also realises he is being manipulated?
Dead wife grabs dead leprechaun?

Am I on the right track? I really want to like this show, but they make it so difficult.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was mentioned earlier in the season that gods can die and come back if people still believe in them.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The episode was okay but definitely didn't feel like a season ending.

The plot was terrible but I still enjoyed the visuals and characters so at least it wasn't a complete waste of my time.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

beanieson posted:

Can you link to the individual chapter synopsis? I got bored too and spoiled some stuff on Wikipedia but it wasn’t very detailed.

You probably already googled it, but just in case you didn't find it:
https://americangods.fandom.com/wiki/Chapter_One

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The money thing was so stupid. I thought they were angling to have Tech Boy create a new Crypto Currency that has money come crawling back and agree to help Wednesday

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Was that actually Technical Boy? I was under the impression it was World doing A Thing. The whole episode was very poorly explained.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Malpais Legate posted:

The whole episode was very poorly explained.

americangods.txt

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I think it was a new incarnation of tech boy, as seen in the flashback with telephone boy.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Malpais Legate posted:

Was that actually Technical Boy? I was under the impression it was World doing A Thing. The whole episode was very poorly explained.

I thought it was Media with a new face again but precision, and you are right. It was Mr World doing a thing.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Wasnt it the tech ceo guy remaking him? With that face he was building on the screen

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It was also really weird that he was a new incarnation in a 35 year old outfit.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

datajugend posted:

Wasnt it the tech ceo guy remaking him? With that face he was building on the screen

he was I thought, looked very similar to the way he first popped up at the funeral. It just made no sense. What happened to the tech CEO guy between episodes? He was excited about seeing New Media and basically abandoned technical boy for her right on the spot. But what caused a crisis of faith in between episodes that made him want Tech Boy back? Maybe all a ruse and Mr. World is behind it, but without some sort of explanation who knows?? it was just scenes someone thought would be cool.

CEO guy DID look a bit stressed when new TB was forming, but we never really got any explanation as to why.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Two things the show does right and wrong in season 2.
1 good and bad: Sweeney origin story. It ties up a lot of loose ends that are hinted at from a large number of angles. We've known Sweeney to be more powerful than a leprechaun, to reluctantly accept the role he has despite this power, to have some connection with Wednesday that's as deep/deeper than Shadow Moon's. edit: we've also seen Sweeney and Laura connected in the Essie story -- It's well done.

The bad: it's one episode. We love Sweeney. Either you've killed him in a GoT sense and we're just gonna be sad and have occasional flashbacks of Pablo Schreiber. It helps that your deaths mean something and it drastically increases the stakes. Or it's American Gods and you can do what you want so, wb Pablo and let's get on with whatever hijinks we're gonna do.

2 good and bad: Betty. With Wednesday comes Sleipnir, that eight-legged steed ought to come into play, somehow. The car has been such an icon of the first season and the show. Wednesday sacrificing her is such a eyes-are-dinner-plates moment.
The bad: it doesn't mean anything, the car's back the next episode. Betty is essentially ammo.

bort fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 4, 2019

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

bort posted:

2 good and bad: Betty. With Wednesday comes Sleipnir, that eight-legged steed ought to come into play, somehow. The car has been such an icon of the first season and the show. Wednesday sacrificing her is such a eyes-are-dinner-plates moment.
The bad: it doesn't mean anything, the car's back the next episode. Betty is essentially ammo.

Wednesday 'sacrificing' her was completely and utterly pointless. The train didn't even need to crash, a rescue team was already on board. Why did they even split up in the first place? For a sacrifice, shouldn't there have been... some sort of sacrifice? Car just comes back the next day. None of it makes any sense!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kaedric posted:

Wednesday 'sacrificing' her was completely and utterly pointless. The train didn't even need to crash, a rescue team was already on board. Why did they even split up in the first place? For a sacrifice, shouldn't there have been... some sort of sacrifice? Car just comes back the next day. None of it makes any sense!

yeah that was especially dumb

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I just watched Episode 8. I didn't realize it was the season finale. :smith:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Shadow never finds out he's Wednesday's kid or in fact Baldur until way towards the end of the book, so hopefully him knowing that now may be him in Lakeside with a new perspective? Although i'm suspecting it's gonna be that "exploring power" montage in Shazam, except not funny and 8 episodes long

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Finished the book a few days ago and remembered there was a TV version. Two episodes in to the first season and I'm not sure I like how abbreviated this is.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Well if it makes you feel better season two is the opposite!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

bring back old gbs posted:

I thought shadow was going to cause the big explosion they kept referencing?? like his wiping the toys away was going to be the shockwave or whatever

but nope??

I was pretty sure the whole point of New Media's attack was turning things real through the power of mass fear, hence the second reference in two seasons to War of the Worlds on the radio making the alien invasion 'real'; all the cops were surrounding the house because through his fear Shadow believed they were coming for him, and then when he stopped fearing/believing after Yggdrasil granted him knowledge, they disappeared.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I had the opposite read. The broadcast whipped up a public panic in the same way that War of the Worlds did. It was another example of the new Gods taking something old and putting a fresh twist on it, only this time instead of being aimed at aliens from another planet it was aimed at terrorist "others" jeopardizing their way of life. They made the people believe Shadow and Salim were bad guys and the power of that belief would see them brought down (Wednesday was always safe, it seemed) until Shadow wiped away the very real police somehow and the wave of hysteria-reinforced belief crashed. Just like it did when people were told the War of the Worlds was simply a radio broadcast they'd misinterpreted.

Edit: Anyway the season itself was a real mixed bag. There were plenty of individual episodes I liked, a couple I really disliked, and overall the whole season felt like a bunch of disconnected parts rather than a complete whole. I'm gonna assume next season will be the last because I imagine that'll be what the main cast were contracted for.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 9, 2019

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Book/season 2 finale:
So is anyone else thinking that everything in Lakeside could get wrapped up in a time-skip summary episode to kick off season 3? Most of what happens there could be vignettes, I think.

Though given how S2 meandered, it would be a little out of character.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I dunno I have zero tv retention though, it was entertaining and worth watching when I got to it.

Except for the old/new media jokes, which were painful.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Nth Doctor posted:

Book/season 2 finale:
So is anyone else thinking that everything in Lakeside could get wrapped up in a time-skip summary episode to kick off season 3? Most of what happens there could be vignettes, I think.

Though given how S2 meandered, it would be a little out of character.

I bet they let it play out for the season as it happened in the book as a cost saver. I bet they can find some small town in America or Canada that'll drown them in tax credits to shoot season 3 there. Seems like a natural fit given the introduction of Sam black crow this season. Just my guess

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Just finished season 2. It wasn't great

Mad Sweeney was the best thing about it and his little story was the best thing in the season. Everything else was just a clusterfuck of unfortunately not very interesting things happening. The finale was just straight up bad

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

rapeface posted:

Legion's second season also had... questionable pacing but that was because plot progression took a backseat to more character development and exploration, which is actually central to the story and theme. And it actually concludes several arcs and resolves dangling plot threads by the end of the season.

It holds up as long as you go in aware it slows down.

It was bad

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I don't remember a single thing about season 2. Well if I try hard enough I could think of something. Like the Gillian Anderson replacement. I'm sure me losing interest has to do with that. Season 1, I definitely remember more of that.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Having watched one season and finding the changes a bit off but fine, I can't wait to be unimpressed by the second set of episodes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I mean this was always going to be the problem with a straight adaptation of a book that drags in places.

The Wisconsin interlude might as well be a different book.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It wouldn’t be an issue if they hadn’t attempted to draw out one short novel into 3+ seasons of television.

This should have been one 12ish episode series; and it probably would have been incredible. As it is it’s a show where absolutely nothing happens, albeit in an entertaining way, but I have an extraordinary tolerance for slow moving plots and I’m willing to bet the majority of the audience doesn’t have my patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

The Lord Bude posted:

It wouldn’t be an issue if they hadn’t attempted to draw out one short novel into 3+ seasons of television.

This should have been one 12ish episode series; and it probably would have been incredible. As it is it’s a show where absolutely nothing happens, albeit in an entertaining way, but I have an extraordinary tolerance for slow moving plots and I’m willing to bet the majority of the audience doesn’t have my patience.

Feels bad coming off Amazon's Good Omens too. This could have been a wonderful epic mini-series. 12-13 episodes and call it a day.