Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

TravelLog posted:

What would you have done differently to take his cap on that turn if you could do it over again?

Sometime the only winning move is not to play.

I would probably want a lot more wizards and summons, or to have tried to bait out gem spending with a lightning and cold resistant thug. The problem is that all that stuff wasn't really proximate to the theatre and an UW nation is a large, slow ship. Getting that over there would probably be like 6 turns and by then Phaecia would probably try to jailbreak because they would sense my hesitation.

The Eriu thugs are just annoying at best. They can't hold land and they can only destroy temples honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Does anything in Phaecia's capital have astral? His god? if not, are they going to be mind hunted into oblivion?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Donkringel posted:

Does anything in Phaecia's capital have astral? His god? if not, are they going to be mind hunted into oblivion?

Those colossi weavers all have astral, so that's a no go.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

For anyone new to Dominions picking this up to join MP matches and seeing the Mind Hunting going on, the absolute best way of dealing with it on defense is to have a stealthed Astral mage or two traveling along with your army. Seeing one in the army will just cause them to not Mind Hunt, after all, and you want to actually catch and feeblemind the hunting mage. Not many nations get access to natively stealthy ones, but there are fairly cheap items that accomplish the task.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
Just Gift of Reason and empower a scout up to 3 astral. Easy!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Does astral defense use the total astral level in the target province or the highest single level?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think it rolls for every astral mage in the province. So while three S1 guys won't give you the 100% chance of countering mind hunts like a single S3 guy would, the ~80% protection they'd give you is close enough in most situations.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

You also have to bear in mind Mind Hunt is an Astral 4 ritual. So even if the mage in question is a S2 boosted with items, you really do not want to ever be rolling the dice on mind hunting if theres even a whiff of Astral mages around, hence why Ramc has never tried it on the cap.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
VINE SHIELDS? :tizzy:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Phaecia

:discourse:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

I still find it hilarious that the Vegeta chef became a Something Awful emoticon. :allears:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Lando131 posted:

Just Gift of Reason and empower a scout up to 3 astral. Easy!

I empowered a Dryad into astral to do this and it was legit one of my finest hours of Dominons that I will probably never top. It is in one of the OP LPs

my dad posted:

I think it rolls for every astral mage in the province. So while three S1 guys won't give you the 100% chance of countering mind hunts like a single S3 guy would, the ~80% protection they'd give you is close enough in most situations.

My understanding is it is 40% per level of s. So s1 mage has a 40% chance, s2 has 80% and s3 is total protection.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Phaecia

Well, that went just the way I'd hoped it would. I wasn't too worried based on what I knew Pelgia had in that army and what I knew my Prince Consort's were capable of. You saw the Air Elemental's incredible, Storm-buffed statline:

Ramc posted:

hm

It's a monster. A size 6 trampling ethereal fucker with huge combat speed incredible defenses that flies in Storm and is all around just a beast. These guys cost 1 Air gem each to summon in a battle, and you need at least Air 3 to cast the spell and it gives the caster 100 fatigue. After a caster hits 100 fatigue they "go to sleep" for a few rounds until their fatigue goes down and the can cast again. So, usually a mage can summon one air ele and needs to take a seat.

Our Prince Consorts, however, all start at at least Air 3, can Storm Power up to 4, and a couple of them rolled bonus Air so Storm Power up to Air 5. Each additional level of a magic path allows a mage casting a spell in that path to halve the fatigue cost of the spell, so our Air 4 guys only get 50 fatigue summoning an air ele, and the Air 5 guys only 25 fatigue. Our Bless gives an extra point of Invigoration (fatigue reduction in combat) which helps, but yeah you can see that the Prince Consorts can spit out plenty of the fuckers. About 30 of them this battle, actually.

I figured that would royally gently caress up Pelagia's infantry and mages and then even if they hobbled through the gates afterward they'd meet a squad of my very robust and cool Orichalcum Guard (turned Ethereal by buffs) as well as my Pretender, all kitted out for standing around being unkillable and smashing mermen for an afternoon.

And it worked!

How are u fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 6, 2019

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Since getting caught by a mindhunt only gives a totally crippling affliction that makes the mage a money-sink instead of actually killing, you can take the boosters off and give them to a different S2 wizard. If possible you should keep your mages with good randoms or higher base paths doing other, safer, useful things and let cheap S2s take the risk on being feebleminded by stealth astral.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So Perpetual Storm crippled Phaecia's strategic mobility and makes their island capital into Alcatraz, but it turns out a big box of pissed of A Mages under a storm is not something you want to poke at.

In summary, Perpetual Storm is a land of contrasts.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Voyager I posted:

So Perpetual Storm crippled Phaecia's strategic mobility and makes their island capital into Alcatraz, but it turns out a big box of pissed of A Mages under a storm is not something you want to poke at.

In summary, Perpetual Storm is a land of contrasts.

It also turns all of my Wind Callers into much more deadly battle mages. If someone lay siege to one of my other forts, one just full of A2 and A3 Wind Callers and not insanely cool and good Prince Consorts, well they can all also just boost up to A3 and A4 without anybody casting Storm or anything. They can make a real mess of things all on their own.

Sure, hurling Air Eles at somebody's face costs a not-insignificant number of valuable Air gems, but at least you're not, you know, dead.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
So, Eriu thugs.

While forging weapons for them, I noticed a sword which can make you bleed

I immediately changed tracks to make as many of them as I could, as they just sounded so stereotypical Elven they had to get into the hands of my Sidhe Lords.

Elven word of the day:

"Mind hunt? Well, I do mind to hunt!"

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
people seem to be misunderstanding mind hunt protection in this thread: any astral mage provides 100% immunity to being mind hunted, the 40% per pip thing is just your chance to feeblemind the fucker doing shenanigans on you

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Noone actually knows how mindhunt works.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Sexily

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Ramc posted:

Noone actually knows how mindhunt works.

Noone actually knows how Dominions works.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Let's take a look at some dominions 5 lore:

The Copper Arm posted:

The smiths of Ulm have always dreamed of holding more hammers in their hands. This elaborate copper arm which attaches to the ribs is the result of their labors.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
How does Strands of Arcane Power work?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Your caster gets feebleminded the moment they run into any amount of astral mages. :v:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 44

Enchantment 6

Thug hunt... the most dangerous game...

RIP a real elf

This does NOT sound like an elf name however. He probably hired an indie commander to dilute the target pool. This is a valid tactic.

And he lives. No attacks. They either snuck back on land or are sneaking about underwater.

+1 earth gems. Are the crabs made of rocks?

Fight wise we have this harassment from Phaecia to deal with.

Nifty one of the guys has astral 1 making mindhunting more dangerous but not impossible. The free water gems from the water lens make for sustainable elemental summoning over a long campaign.

The strategy is straightforward.

And effective enough vs PD

Phaecia breaks the siege on his cap. Fine. I didn't even want it.

Phlegra hits Ulm on the coast I plan to beachhead on with this cool thug. I think he is handle-able though.

Ok events-

Break a mirror for good luck.

Less fortunate, this.

Explicitly unlucky.

Oh but that's nice :)

I am not really putting up a fight for this one. It has little strategic value.

Overview.

I begin to go for it. I kit out my army

A glorious thug who I will almost never thug with b/c thugs are foolish and wasteful.

I have a howl caster with a cornucopia for lots of free n gems for howl. Cornucopias are insanely good for howl armies. The bonus supply is nice too.

I am gonna try to reap his brain too because I don't want to deal with him if I don't have to for a few pearls. You might say why don't you just solve all your minor problems with mind hunting to which I say OK yes totally i will

For now- a lot of frozen heart spam instead of summoning elementals.

IN OTHER NEW uh Naz took that throne that sucks man that is a lot of birds. Not ideal. If they attack my fort I can probably push them off it though. I will need to get through this pile to get the throne but I have a LOT of sacred troops around here.

I shuffle troops around Phaecia and react to harassment. I risk a mind hunter on the wizard stack because I have lots of S2 mages now. What's a melted brain between them.

My orders. I am building a fort UW next to the C'tis throne because maybe I can take THAT one if need be. Maybe it'll be softer than Nazca.

Ramc fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 8, 2019

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Eriu

After reading the report from this turn, I suddenly startled awake and was like "Mind hunt? Mind hunt? Mind hunt? Oh, now I remember!"

And changed recruiting a bit to get more of this nifty S2 astral mage I can get from a indie site I was holding for ages now. In the future, I'll slowly (very slowly, as that mage is slow-to-recruit) recruit more and move them around to secure more and more forts against mind hunting.

Doesn't help my thugs though since I keep forgetting I could just forge stealth items to make them join my underwater raiding groups. So instead I countered Ramc's mind hunting by equipping more Elves for his astral mages to feed on and hoping they roll really well

At least my astral mages are also air 2 (and sometimes get an extra rank in magic -later on I even got two natural s3 mages that way), so they work well together with my air armies of airness.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Learning from the air-air of your ways.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Good Kelly parody tag that is

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

Learning from the air-air of your ways.

2 air is human

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
it's also elf

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I thought ma and la man were more earth and nature

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

I thought ma and la man were more earth and nature

This man would like a word with you.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Jon Joe posted:

This man would like a word with you.

Two air, is human.

Everything checks out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Prism posted:

Two air, is human.

Everything checks out.

:drat:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to make a few announcements:

If you've played before but maybe don't check the discord very often, we're currently filling spots for the first ever dominions 5 draft game, which in the spirit of draft games will also be LPed. This time it's a simple format where you draft an entire block of stuff at a time instead of individual units. Come to the discord and check out the #basicdraft channel for the rules.

If you've never played before and are interested, we've had plenty of people start playing due to this LP, and if we get a few more we can probably run a newbie-only game! There's never been a better opportunity to flail around wondering what the heck you're doing, because everyone else will be doing the same.

And now back to your regularly scheduled content.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

True, I have been playing and its a lot of fun.

You too can experience the fun of starting next to MA Ermor in your very first game!

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 8, 2019

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
Bring back the best format of them all, baddraft!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jack2142 posted:

True, I have been playing and its a lot of fun.

You too can experience the fun of starting next to MA Ermor in your very first game!

Draft Rules posted:

Do not pick anything from an UW nation, Ermor, or Asphodel. Be very careful if you pick C’tis as your base nation. Sign up as a random nation on the bot for now.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 45-

Seems like a lot of attacks against us.

I think storm also makes seeking arrow pretty unreliable... ERIU

All my mind hunts are resisted. Lame!

+1 earth gems. More crabs!

Meet the new Ulm prophet. He didn't rename it.

First fight uh, no PD and no troops on our beachhead. Score!

Also Mari is sitting on their fort ok haha. That's good.

Phlegra takes a 1PD prov near my surface fort that they are storming. Fine! The land sucks anyway!

Here C'tis attacks where I am building that fortress. 3 saurowraiths hm...

This is his new tech because poison clouds hit 3 times a round now. At least according to him in chat. Part of the same update that made soul slay kill immortals.

I have a lot of troops but not real with-gems mage support which is... bad.

When your thugs have ethereal + fear +poison clouds + regen they are extremely good vs normal troops like my brave wave warriors.

Cowards!

We kill one (impermanently), another flees but the last saurowraith stays. RIP 600 gold fort.

The surviving terrorist strikes again.

They storm our fort and well yes.

Events-

ERIU

As well he should be.

okay a- what what hahaha for real RENEGADE SHRIMP? CRAB GENERALS!!!!

simple minds... simple dreams

the may appear clumsy... but-

this is fantastic
hahah this is the best event
i love them

Here are my shrimp. You can also see Phelgra eating our former Jotun holdings in the north there.

The overview. Some folks nibbling into the sea now. Sensing a lot aggression here????

I am moving onto the fortress. Also the Phelgran province north of it has 0 PD so I am going to try to scout-capture it, making straight the royal way.

Shuffling. I am content to react to Phaeacian moves here as this is just keeping them busy in a place that isn't important while I try to win the game elsewhere.

Contemplating that huge stack of Nazcans and my huge stack of wave riders. Holding off for the moment as I don't need to lunge and I want them to take their eye off the ball if possible.

Overview. Mindhunting some of those thugs and regrouping near C'tis. Eventually I will put together a credible army to menace that throne and his stupid saurowraith thugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Crab men and shrimp men (and shark men) are the LA Jomon underwater recruit units, they're really cool. With inbuilt void sanity if you have to take on R'lyeh.

I usually don't root against an LPer, but it's good that the other players have realized the threat that Ramc poses.