Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hmm, Hulk's willingness to prevent those alternate realities from ever existing is kinda worse than dooming them to Thanos' snap. Create life, and then take it away on a whim in order to save you own reality? Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm not sure how the movie is at all inconsistent with her description. And, yes, because we don't get to see Cap actually returning the stones we don't know precisely what is required, but the basic message is that it's the removal of the stone from their continuity that breaks their reality so, for instance, Loki loving off with the space stone is irrelevant. Note that the Avengers only care about that happening because it means they can't grab the stone. They don't treat it as something awful they've done to a universe that matters, unlike how they treat returning the stones as an absolute moral necessity.

But like, how does it break reality? If history playing out differently isn't the concern, so it's that the universe starts fundamentally breaking down in some way without the stones? The movie opens up in a universe without any infinity stones.

If trimming the branches means destroying that universe by returning the stones and Tilda’s aware that their universe is now that branch. Then why would they even want the stone back if it dooms that reality/universe etc?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If you think the scenario depicted in the movie is horrifying, that it reflects poor moral choices or lack of thought on the part of the characters, that's on the movie. Though, of course, there being things worse than death is a core plot point of Doctor Strange. It's not that surprising that The Ancient One would continue to act consistently with that.

Thinking that a character's choices are bad does not overcome, to my way of thinking, the movie introducing exposition on time travel via a time wizard that has spent a thousand years exploring time using the physical embodiment of the concept of time. It is hard to imagine a more authoritative diegetic expert. You'd want an actual contradiction with the movie, not just a distaste for some of the implications.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Can the Endgame CIA discussion please stay quarantined in the Endgame thread?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Can the Endgame CIA discussion please stay quarantined in the Endgame thread?

:cry:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Seems like a fair request. People who want to respond to my posts are welcome to do so there.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Edit gently caress it im sick of this going in circles anyways no need to perpetuate it

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
So, uh, yeah...about Angelina Jolie's casting in The Eternals movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What about it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin Godscock posted:

So, uh, yeah...about Angelina Jolie's casting in The Eternals movie.

Oh god what happened? Did she announce she loved Hitler or something?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Supposedly she’s dying but tabloids

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
She had a cancer scare a while back, right?

The tabloids always run bullshit about her weighing 75lbs and being near death though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsB1syWAAF0

The reporter is having so much fun with this. This is pretty awesome.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gatts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsB1syWAAF0

The reporter is having so much fun with this. This is pretty awesome.

To be fair that's some really cool poo poo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I thought he was gonna say they're working on a full Iron Man suit but a power loader from Aliens is way better lol.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Had a conversation about Marvel's creative control with a friend today. These clips were what the conversation found itself centered on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4OqB35WpHo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifoFercJX2I

Hero and villain in close proximity, absolute tonal difference in emotion and intensity.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Holy Christ, this is 31 flavors of awful.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Two guys in black suits in a dark cave, fuckin kills me every time

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tart Kitty posted:

Had a conversation about Marvel's creative control with a friend today. These clips were what the conversation found itself centered on.

Hero and villain in close proximity, absolute tonal difference in emotion and intensity.

final fight Movie Fight

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tart Kitty posted:

Same conversation is kinda being had in the BSS movie thread too. I'm once again defending the honor of James Cameron's Avatar on the internet. Probably the third time I've done so in the past couple months. Cue "The Sound of Silence" — it's a neverending battle.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Tart Kitty posted:

Same director, honest.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

Same conversation is kinda being had in the BSS movie thread too. I'm once again defending the honor of James Cameron's Avatar on the internet. Probably the third time I've done so in the past couple months. Cue "The Sound of Silence" — it's a neverending battle.

Nothing wrong with defending Avatar when you discuss final fights, because it has a pretty good one that follows clear lines of cause and effect informed by situation and character. Also, even the things that are all CGI move in realistic ways. The Na'vi can be made to move like anything, so he has them move like big, lanky humans.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

Nothing wrong with defending Avatar when you discuss final fights, because it has a pretty good one that follows clear lines of cause and effect informed by situation and character. Also, even the things that are all CGI move in realistic ways. The Na'vi can be made to move like anything, so he has them move like big, lanky humans.

The discussion was more so related to box office, and how Avatar was a director-driven film that wasn't a sequel or part of a series that managed to beat out franchise-driven films that are products of corporate oversight to be the top box office grosser worldwide.

I argued that Avatar making its mark in "Cinema History" as the top grosser is a bigger deal (to me) than Endgame potentially dethroning it due to Avatar's strength of direction enabling its financial and critical success as opposed to Endgame's strength of franchise.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

The discussion was more so related to box office, and how Avatar was a director-driven film that wasn't a sequel or part of a series that managed to beat out franchise-driven films that are products of corporate oversight to be the top box office grosser worldwide.

I argued that Avatar making its mark in "Cinema History" as the top grosser is a bigger deal (to me) than Endgame potentially dethroning it due to Avatar's strength of direction enabling its financial and critical success as opposed to Endgame's strength of franchise.

I met someone the other day who couldn't wait to tell me how the russos were the one's responsible for these movies looking so good. It turns out most people don't actually know what a director does.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

teagone posted:

Yeah they're both extremely different events which were phenomenally successful due to extremely different contexts and comparing them is real apples v oranges territory.

But even though Endgame probably won't dethrone Gone With The Wind as the most successful (domestic) film ever or even knock Star Wars off the #2 perch it'll probably muscle its way into the top 10 which is a feat that even Avatar couldn't achieve. The last few films to do it were Titanic (1997), ET (1982), Star Wars (1977) and Jaws (1975) so it'll be breaking records which have stood for decades. It's actually going to be bigger than Ben-Hur, and even Avatar wasn't bigger than Ben-Hur. poo poo's nuts, y'all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

teagone posted:

Create life, and then take it away on a whim in order to save you own reality? Lol.

Don't we already do that every day? Note how Thanos is a farmer in the opening.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt9L1jCKGnE

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Endgame was a nice lesson in not giving away all the twists in the trailer :(

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Peter Parker sure is selfish for not wanting to volunteer as a child soldier for the government.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Doesn't seem to give away that (likely spoiler)Mysterio is behind those giant monsters and is actually the bad guy.

But Mysterio being there from an alternate timeline in the new multiverse seems to go against how End Game describes how all this is supposed to work, unless of course he's lying.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to spoiler for something like this so I just erred on the side of caution.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Snowman_McK posted:

I met someone the other day who couldn't wait to tell me how the russos were the one's responsible for these movies looking so good. It turns out most people don't actually know what a director does.

Hence everyone saying Snyder is a terrible director because of the scripts

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Hobo Clown posted:

Doesn't seem to give away that (likely spoiler)Mysterio is behind those giant monsters and is actually the bad guy.

But Mysterio being there from an alternate timeline in the new multiverse seems to go against how End Game describes how all this is supposed to work, unless of course he's lying.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to spoiler for something like this so I just erred on the side of caution.

since time travel is a thing that can be done, being from an alternate universe seems plausible.

and more importantly, as does the mcu immediately contradicting itself

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Hobo Clown posted:

Maybe he's from the timeline where Loki stole the space stone.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That doesn't go against what Endgame said. It goes against what some people who weren't paying attention thought Endgame said. Also I know the BSS thread ends black bars today, same true here?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

It doesn't completely contradict it, but it still seems kinda weird. I thought you could only go forward and backward in your own timeline, and you needed Pym particles to do so. Hulk & Cap also make reference to "trimming the branches" by returning the stones, but yeah End Game itself doesn't seem to keep consistent with that. Mysterio appears to have jumped into a new timeline "because of the snap", which seems new.

End Game spoilers are black bar free now but I wasn't sure how to treat Spider-Man speculation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hobo Clown posted:

It doesn't completely contradict it, but it still seems kinda weird. I thought you could only go forward and backward in your own timeline, and you needed Pym particles to do so. Hulk & Cap also make reference to "trimming the branches" by returning the stones, but yeah End Game itself doesn't seem to keep consistent with that. Mysterio appears to have jumped into a new timeline "because of the snap", which seems new.

End Game spoilers are black bar free now but I wasn't sure how to treat Spider-Man speculation.

I think it would be a mistake for us to act like the rules set up by Endgame are completely set in stone. I mean, there's room enough for debate just within Endgame itself(as we've seen on these forums), but this is comic books. If an exception needs to be made to get character A in location B that's what they'll do. There's a hundred different ways you can write a "plausible" explanation as to how a character could end up in a different timeline using Endgame as a jumping off point.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The multiverse that Mysterio is talking about could be a completely different thing from the time travelling in Endgame and the branching timelines in that.

Also, Mysterio is almost certainly lying.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LesterGroans posted:

The multiverse that Mysterio is talking about could be a completely different thing from the time travelling in Endgame and the branching timelines in that.

I think it's more likely that he's talking about the same thing, but that there are different means to access it. Stark and Lang invented a way to do it via Pym particles and the GPS things that Tony developed, but maybe Mysterio figured out his own way, or somehow had access to different tech than we've seen up to this point.

Violator
May 15, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

Didn't Michael Keaton do the wrong things for the right reasons in the first Spiderman movie? He got screwed over the by system so he used the system against itself or something? Maybe the Spiderman villains are all going to be like that, where you can relate to why they are doing things? Maybe he has to do something that would harm this dimension to save his own? Like how the Avengers didn't really care about the folks in the other temporarily timelines so they could save their own? The Blank Panther villain had relatable motives, too, didn't he?

Maybe the Marvel villains are slowly getting more compelling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I think it's more likely that he's talking about the same thing, but that there are different means to access it. Stark and Lang invented a way to do it via Pym particles and the GPS things that Tony developed, but maybe Mysterio figured out his own way, or somehow had access to different tech than we've seen up to this point.

it's possible but there was a line in the trailer that the multiverse rip was caused by the snap