Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's a dollar-store 3D Sonic clone coming to Steam in a couple weeks, it even has dollar-store Crush 40:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1sIGMnV4_o

Holy poo poo I've heard that it's coming out but I've had no idea they moved to 3D! Wow, this looks even better. The first one is a pretty enjoyable game tbh, even if the developer had his head up his butt regarding the speedrun community (who pointed him out that things worked differently than he thought in his own game). It was more of a Freedom Planet clone than a Sonic clone tho.

Gotta watch out for this. I'd really wish for a Switch release tho, it's become my main indie game machine these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
The character designs do kinda suck, but ngl that looks fun and I really want to try it out, even though I had problems with the first game.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I am retroactively pissed off. I am one of those unfortunate individuals that played Sonic 4, and setting aside all of the awful aspects of it, there's one tiny thing I really, really hated but could never explain why I hated it.

The pose sonic makes when you launch off of a vertical segment. Like this segment right here, at 1:26-1:27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wRMZavIGmc&t=84s

I finally had it click why I hate that pose so goddamn much. See exhibit 2:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/bkq0yd/shocked_bouncing/

It's approximately the same pose as when you take a hit in classic sonic games. After years and years of associating that pose with "you done hosed UP", every time it popped up in that game it subconsciously pinged a sense that I made a mistake, even though I was playing the game as the designers developed it. Every single launch like that had my brain telling me I screwed up somehow, even if logically and consciously I was able to just power through it. The people that designed 4 were morons that had no idea what they were actually doing.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There's a dollar-store 3D Sonic clone coming to Steam in a couple weeks, it even has dollar-store Crush 40:

I'm probably not gonna play it but that buttrock is proper manners.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rorac posted:

The people that designed 4 were morons that had no idea what they were actually doing.

I feel like the real morons are the people at Sega who let 4 happen as-is. Sega kinda had no idea what they're doing with Sonic for awhile. They still kinda don't, as evidenced by the movie.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don't forget Sonic 4 was originally just a sonic phone game called Sonic Mobile or something like that, to the point that there are still a bunch of assets in Episode 1 named things like sonic_mobile_tex_3 and stuff.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 6, 2019

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

MikeJF posted:

Don't forget Sonic 4 was originally just a sonic phone game, to the point that there are still a bunch of assets in Episode 1 named things like sonic_mobile_tex_3 and stuff.

I had no idea and it makes so much sense.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

That's news to me, but it makes so much more sense given the mobile minecart level & general visual presentation. Also the "Sonic 1 but different" feels more fitting of a game that was supposed to be "Sonic Mobile."

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There was an early X360 version leaked off Microsoft's servers that was nearly 1:1 with the mobile version, it had that awful minecart and everything. The version that eventually came to consoles is the version they "fixed" in response to the leaks, they delayed it for six months or something and it's barely any better.

I always wondered how they'd feel with the boost, they're so obviously based on Rush that it couldn't hurt.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DIMPS were the ones responsible for Advance, Rush, and Sonic 4, right?

I kinda wonder what a world where they had a different team doing the 2d games after Genesis looks like.

Advance 1, 2 and Rush aren't exactly bad games, but the Advance games feel strangely...unmemorable to me? I spent a ton of time playing Adv1 because it was decently fun, but I also didn't have a ton of other things to play. Like I can remember level set pieces and bosses from every zone in the first 3 sonic games, but trying to recall level by level stuff of Adv1 is tricky. Also, it aping stuff from SA2 felt...weird. Sadv2 felt a little more interesting / creative in terms of level themes, but kinda was the start of lovely death pit level design and had a big difficulty spike halfway through the game as a result. Sadv3 was just weird and I barely played it.

Rush feels like a game other people love a lot more then me. I don't know if people are just suckers for the sound track, but I just remember the bosses sucking and hitting a difficulty wall and giving up.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Advance games had pretty unremarkable level design that got worse as they went. Everything was just a series of grind rails and loops with no real landmarks to give you a sense of where you were in the level.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Rush is great as a score attack/time trial sort of game. If you try to play it like a classic sonic game you will not have a good time. Its wierd because I've never cared about level rankings or score in any previous game in the series and I don't particularly care for the 3D games that adapted the boost style gameplay it pioneered, yet its one of my favorites in the whole series.

I think it all comes down to the actual mechanics behind gaining boost, later titles tied boost to collectables whereas Rush had a Trick system that was really active and required reflexes an practice to get the most out of. There was also a mechanic where filling the meter 3x granted you unlimmited boost for a short while, so there was a reason not to just play the game with the boost button permanantly held down.

The game does have some real flaws though, Idealy a sonic game should have level design that's fun to play and explore without memorization and mastery of the game mechanics required for high score chasing. The story sections were terrible and the bosses crimminally didn't even let you use the boost system at all where they should have been a test of the game's core mechanics. Oh and Blaze (the easy character) had to be unlocked and her story re-orders the stages and fucks the difficulty curve completely.

The soundtrack being bangin' even by the high standards of the series, is 100% why I persevered with the game after its bad first impression but I'm glad I did.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
The Advance series has a lot of really good levels and a bunch of them are plenty memorable. Advance 1 may be the least memorable but Egg Rocket zone was a seriously cool/fun level that makes up for most other zones in that game being pretty generic.

Mr Phillby posted:

Oh and Blaze (the easy character) had to be unlocked and her story re-orders the stages and fucks the difficulty curve completely.

There's a lot right in this post, but I don't really feel like Blaze is supposed to be the easy character at all. Her R-button trick actions are all imo much more tricky and finicky to use, where as sonic's are all straightforward and relatively simple. The best point is maybe Hover making her an easier character, but I really think Sonic's Jump dash/Homing attack are just as if not more easy-mode friendly with how generous they are.

Side point, unlocking the "easy character" isn't exactly super new, since you also had to unlock Cream in Advance 2/3.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There was an early X360 version leaked off Microsoft's servers that was nearly 1:1 with the mobile version, it had that awful minecart and everything.

Oh that was much later down the line than what I'm talking about, it wasn't called 'Sonic 4' until the decision to release on consoles was made.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
the cheese shield in Advance 3 was hilarious.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic 4 is blasphemy

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Ventana posted:

The Advance series has a lot of really good levels and a bunch of them are plenty memorable. Advance 1 may be the least memorable but Egg Rocket zone was a seriously cool/fun level that makes up for most other zones in that game being pretty generic.

There's a lot right in this post, but I don't really feel like Blaze is supposed to be the easy character at all. Her R-button trick actions are all imo much more tricky and finicky to use, where as sonic's are all straightforward and relatively simple. The best point is maybe Hover making her an easier character, but I really think Sonic's Jump dash/Homing attack are just as if not more easy-mode friendly with how generous they are.

Side point, unlocking the "easy character" isn't exactly super new, since you also had to unlock Cream in Advance 2/3.
She's slower and she has a glide, admittedly these are only 'easy' characteristics for a classic sonic game. I do think she's a bit more survivable but she definitely isn't easier for getting S ranks. You unlock her after the first stage as sonic so picking her as soon as she becomes availiable and jumping straight into stage 4 is yet another chance for Rush to leave a bad early impression.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Looks better than Sonic Forces at the very least

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Augus posted:

Looks better than Sonic Forces at the very least

Can you wear a Gamer shirt? No? Hmm...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s on the pc, you can mod in a gamer shirt

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bedshaped posted:

The special stages in Sonia Mania are really loving hard as someone who can do the S1-S3&K with my eyes closed. Even the Sonic CD ones are fairly easy but I just jump the barrier and beeline straight to each of the UFOs.

I can only get 2 chaos emeralds in Mania though. In my first playthrough I got the first 2 on the first try and then like 10 failed attempts to get the third :(

I watched a video and realized what I was doing wrong.

Once I get Mach 2 I needed to stop chasing after rings and orbs and start chasing the emerald guy. Once I did that I finally got through the 3rd stage.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Good poo poo. gently caress the sonic franchise for making bad games. About time someone copys all the good stuff about them

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

I watched a video and realized what I was doing wrong.

Once I get Mach 2 I needed to stop chasing after rings and orbs and start chasing the emerald guy. Once I did that I finally got through the 3rd stage.

actually the trick to sonic mania special stages is to do tight turns by jumping

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MikeJF posted:

Oh that was much later down the line than what I'm talking about, it wasn't called 'Sonic 4' until the decision to release on consoles was made.

Yeah I should have been clearer, I know that version wasn't "Sonic Mobile" I brought it up because it reinforces the point that actually delivering a successor to Sonic 3 was always an afterthought, even after the rebranding.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ArfJason posted:

actually the trick to sonic mania special stages is to do tight turns by jumping

yeah one way i look at it is try to keep your feet on the ground going in straight lines as much as possible, jump to corner, collect emowold

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/KSlackie/status/1123730407344758784

E:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHGB0btX5aA

Confirmed Sonic 2 developer showing off Sonic 2 stuff to his students.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like the real morons are the people at Sega who let 4 happen as-is. Sega kinda had no idea what they're doing with Sonic for awhile. They still kinda don't, as evidenced by the movie.

lol sega doesn't make movies, paramount's doing that. I think there was even a quote somewhere that sega told them they didn't like Sonic's design for the movie but they went with it anyways because uhhhh reasons

And now they're changing it because everyone hates it :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mean divesting so much creative control that you can't veto a horrible depiction of your mascot is a pretty dumb decision.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, it feels insane how they greenlit it / let it happen.

Usually companies have pretty tight reigns how how their mascots/IP can be depicted, and while it's understandable to occasionally give some slack to let things happen, but cripes.

Like, Sonic only has various shades off-blue as his Smash skins, I have to assume that was part of some agreement in letting him be in Smash. Sonic in Wreck-It-Ralph was completely true to his original design. I have to imagine there's some other examples of Sega keeping the reigns tight on Sonic's depictions.

Why in the world did Sega like Paramount just go buck wild with his design in a way that went horribly wrong? Was there no oversight there? Or is their brand quality control just crazy?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jim Sterling has a pretty good take on exactly this, he explores how Hollywood seems to think it knows better than video game companies when it comes to interpreting their properties, even when it means throwing away all the reasons they would even want to pay for that that property as a movie in the first place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qacb7ZQoeYQ

Resident Evil's success is the worst thing to happen to video game movies because it gives everyone licence to do this, as the ONE video game property that Hollywood-ed up the property and didn't fail spectacularly.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

And it just so happens that Resident Evil is based on a time-tested Hollywood film: the zombie B flick.

So yeah, if you Hollywood up a game already based on Hollywood films, the output is probably going to fare better than most game adaptations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I thought Silent Hill was good. It wasn't perfect, but they did what Sonic didn't do and absolutely nailed the look of the movie. Everything from how Silent Hill and the monsters looked to the camera angles they used. There's a shot early on where the main girl is going down some stairs into an alley and the camera angles they used felt right out of the game. I loved it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Jim Sterling has a pretty good take on exactly this, he explores how Hollywood seems to think it knows better than video game companies when it comes to interpreting their properties, even when it means throwing away all the reasons they would even want to pay for that that property as a movie in the first place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qacb7ZQoeYQ

Resident Evil's success is the worst thing to happen to video game movies because it gives everyone licence to do this, as the ONE video game property that Hollywood-ed up the property and didn't fail spectacularly.

watching this, sonic's design reminds of that render of realistic mario someone made.

also saul from battlestar galactica is in the movie, uh

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Oxyclean posted:

Why in the world did Sega like Paramount just go buck wild with his design in a way that went horribly wrong? Was there no oversight there? Or is their brand quality control just crazy?

sega are a fallen people lacking in all self respect

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I know it would never happen because every part of Sega except Europe dropped it immediately, but my eight year old self really wants to see a film version of the "official" canon they created to market the original game outside of Japan.

Carrey could do a decent Kintobor and Robotnik I reckon.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Party Boat posted:

I know it would never happen because every part of Sega except Europe dropped it immediately, but my eight year old self really wants to see a film version of the "official" canon they created to market the original game outside of Japan.

Carrey could do a decent Kintobor and Robotnik I reckon.

the movie feels like they're doing a kind of riff on this, except he's just always been kind of a dick, and it escalates to maniac over time. complete with, im pretty sure, his name going from Robotnik to Eggman, which is kinda fun actually

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Macaluso posted:

I thought Silent Hill was good. It wasn't perfect, but they did what Sonic didn't do and absolutely nailed the look of the movie. Everything from how Silent Hill and the monsters looked to the camera angles they used. There's a shot early on where the main girl is going down some stairs into an alley and the camera angles they used felt right out of the game. I loved it.

I liked the Silent Hill movie a lot as well, and while hardcore fans bemoan the changes (of course), it stuck pretty true to both the look and feel of the series. The sense of dread and oppression is perfectly executed, and that downer ending... Mwah, perfect. The decision to make the town have an underground coal fire was a spark of genius that, honestly, would have fit in the games perfectly. It helps that each Silent Hill game (excluding 1 and 3) are pretty different anyway, so the movie having its own interpretation is right in line with the series. My only big issue is how Pyramid Head is shoehorned in when he's really supposed to be James' personal demon, but when you have a design that good people are gonna want to see it, so I can forgive it.

Too bad critics hated it. I can't really explain why it didn't appeal to them. But hey, at least it did ok at the box office! And spawned a sequel I didn't see!

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I liked the Silent Hill movie a lot as well, and while hardcore fans bemoan the changes (of course), it stuck pretty true to both the look and feel of the series. The sense of dread and oppression is perfectly executed, and that downer ending... Mwah, perfect. The decision to make the town have an underground coal fire was a spark of genius that, honestly, would have fit in the games perfectly. It helps that each Silent Hill game (excluding 1 and 3) are pretty different anyway, so the movie having its own interpretation is right in line with the series. My only big issue is how Pyramid Head is shoehorned in when he's really supposed to be James' personal demon, but when you have a design that good people are gonna want to see it, so I can forgive it.

Too bad critics hated it. I can't really explain why it didn't appeal to them. But hey, at least it did ok at the box office! And spawned a sequel I didn't see!

Fans didnt like the coal fire idea? I think the game took that idea from those abandoned towns with burning coal underneath them. I think you guys are right. Movies about games that originally took from movies work the best.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Fans didnt like the coal fire idea? I think the game took that idea from those abandoned towns with burning coal underneath them. I think you guys are right. Movies about games that originally took from movies work the best.

I don't know if they don't specifically like or dislike that part, but I was using it as an example of a GOOD change from game -> movie, as it was a major one but still fit with the feel + theme of the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The decision to make the town have an underground coal fire was a spark of genius that, honestly, would have fit in the games perfectly.
This is the town that Silent Hill was inspired by.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhanaOahMoc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow4UERykRbg

Both documentaries are worth a watch.