Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Can you really call an immediate faceplant "trajectory"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

If no dance, then please just shut the game down, Bioware. Just don't even bother. Please put a dance hall in the game.

Prothetic words right at the start of this thread. RIP Anthem, RIP Bioware.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

grack posted:

Well first it exploded several times, several passengers fell into the jet engines, the pilot screamed some poo poo about SJWs and nazis nonsense before whatever was left crashed face first into the earth. Technically a trajectory straight into hell.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Wheeee posted:

have you learned your lesson regarding acting as an unpaid marketing agent for unreleased dubious looking products

Nope! I do admit when I’m wrong though and I was wrong. :(

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

grack posted:

Downwards

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Fwiw i really had hoped this game could stick the landing after going for a very ambitious jump, if only so that games i actually play had been inclined to steal some of it's better features
Shame it turned out to be a clueless drunken stumble continuously falling down an endless set of stairs while screaming "bioware magic"

And hey, even if bioware isn't capable of learning anything from this again (shows how much they learned from andromeda), hopefully at least some others are taking notes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Crabtree posted:

Well first it exploded several times, several passengers fell into the jet engines, the pilot screamed some poo poo about SJWs and nazis nonsense before whatever was left crashed face first into the earth. Technically a trajectory straight into hell.

So what I'm really getting from this is that Anthem is actually situated on the event horizon of a black hole, forever falling downwards to a point in space and time but never actually reaching it. I'm guessing the devs leaving would be the escaping paired particles that make up Hawking radiation, destined to steal energy away until the black hole evaporates in to nothingness. Moist's GIFs are clearly the imprint of holographic information on the event horizon.

I suppose the extreme warping of space-time that occurs at the boundary of a supermassive black hole would account for E3 launch trailer, as well as GamingTrends' oddly positive review.

Actually maybe the current state of the player base is the Hawking radiation. Who knows.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Fwiw i really had hoped this game could stick the landing after going for a very ambitious jump, if only so that games i actually play had been inclined to steal some of it's better features
Shame it turned out to be a clueless drunken stumble continuously falling down an endless set of stairs while screaming "bioware magic"

And hey, even if bioware isn't capable of learning anything from this again (shows how much they learned from andromeda), hopefully at least some others are taking notes.

What really saddens me about Anthem is that we'll never get to see the ~*Pile of Sand*~ presentation they were going to give at GDC that they abruptly canceled at the last minute.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Nope! I do admit when I’m wrong though and I was wrong. :(

someone needs to alert Bioware that SGA has forsaken them
if that doesn't get them to get their poo poo together, nothing will.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_iIDvEhEww

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dootman posted:

What really saddens me about Anthem is that we'll never get to see the ~*Pile of Sand*~ presentation they were going to give at GDC that they abruptly canceled at the last minute.

Yeah, imagine if they didn't cancel it even as anthem crashed and burned. :allears:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOD6E1MYL7I

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Welp, I just pissed myself.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Anthem: Has been Uninstalled [ok]

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The players are declaring this game dead.

but has :bioware: given their opinion on the matter yet?

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

The :bioware: community manager doesn’t post so no

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

geonetix posted:

The :bioware: community manager doesn’t post so no

He doesn't have any news.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

loving hell that intro :v:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

While all the bugs in the video were funny it also reminded me just how bad the writing was. Like if whoever wrote all the "and now we're going for pie, signed Ghost" stuff in Destiny 2 wrote a whole game like that. I'm actually mad again just thinking about it, thanks MarcoStyle.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Something I haven’t seen mentioned in all these ‘could EA tell BW to pull a realm reborn on anthem’ posts is that ff14 was a subscription based mmo - rebuilding it had the potential to bring in tons of recurring revenue - that potential doesn’t exist with anthem, and I’m guessing that was a huge motivation for SE - they’d built 1.0 at huge cost and seen very little return for it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sputnik posted:

Welp, I just pissed myself.

What was it like working on Anthem?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Something I haven’t seen mentioned in all these ‘could EA tell BW to pull a realm reborn on anthem’ posts is that ff14 was a subscription based mmo - rebuilding it had the potential to bring in tons of recurring revenue - that potential doesn’t exist with anthem, and I’m guessing that was a huge motivation for SE - they’d built 1.0 at huge cost and seen very little return for it.

Aren't microtransactions generally more profitable than subscription models though? I always kind of assumed that was why the industry widely shifted towards MTX rather than subscription based models.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have never played a second of this game, but I think the soundtrack is kinda okay?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

NeurosisHead posted:

Aren't microtransactions generally more profitable than subscription models though? I always kind of assumed that was why the industry widely shifted towards MTX rather than subscription based models.
to sell mtx in your game you actually need mtx in your game

did they ever add more than 2 armor sets and 1 emote and 1 texture and 1 vinyl to the mtx store? I stopped playing after my 1 month Access sub ran out

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have never played a second of this game, but I think the soundtrack is kinda okay?

Yeah it’s one of the least bad parts.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The game is gonna be shutdown without a word from bioware and EA and it will rule

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ketchup vs catsup posted:

ARR was entirely about salvaging the Final Fantasy brand over profit. If you look at the numbers SE releases during their conference calls, FFXIV, even at a point where it's at its most profitable, is bringing in pocket change compared to all of SE's mobile MTX gacha titles. Legal gambling - especially virtual, easy-to-access gambling - will always bring in far more money over subscription services until they're outlawed.

The honest truth is that building a subscription MMO in the first place was an outdated concept at the time, which was completely in theme with FFXIV 1.0's initial design of "FFXI with the cracks painted over." The fact that it exists at all today is a consequence of the brand's importance to SE's survival as a major company. If it had been some new IP, they likely would've let it quietly drift into obscurity and refocused all of their internal resources to making whatever a singleplayer FFXIV would've looked like a real banger, which is exactly what Bioware is doing: they know this thing's a turd, and the only recourse they have now is to desperately try and funnel everything they've got into making DA4 a success or they're probably doomed.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

The game is gonna be shutdown without a word from bioware and EA and it will rule
it really is different from destiny or division. it feels doomed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

Microtransactions get you whales which are a pretty big angle compared to subscriptions

e: I wonder how many whales anthem had. there were people on reddit talking about buying MTX funny money just to “spite the haters,” surely there must have been one or two

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

This game is one of the biggest failures in all of vidya. I don't know where it rates on Top 10, but when Bioware gets ejected from their offices, those places need to be fumigated thoroughly.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.

exquisite tea posted:

What was it like working on Anthem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4YWhct3ty0

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On the topic of "Lol BioWare" I just realized that the elcor speech patterns in mass effect are just a crappier version of HK-47. Except they're actually more like the HK-50 speech prefaces from Kotor 2. They preface their statements with an undermining of the spoken intent. HK-47 would say something like Threat: insult me again and I'll rip your head off, meatbag.
HK-50s would say Thinly Veiled Contempt: we would not dare lower ourselves to the level of an organic like yourself!

Elcor are like HK-50s

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I remember imagining the final fight in me3 involving all the cool friends I made along the way (including elcor) but instead there was just that dickhole marauder

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I remember fighting a single husk in an alleyways next to a twelve foot high res phone box to let you know this is in fact London.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I remember thinking "wow the rachni decision I made all those years ago is going to really pay off, I bet there'll be a point in the final battle where they all come boiling up out of the ground to take down a Reaper!"

and then they move some panels around on the Crucible and exit the narrative entirely. the Rachni are worth 100 War Assets, which is four Jacobs

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

moist turtleneck posted:

I remember imagining the final fight in me3 involving all the cool friends I made along the way (including elcor) but instead there was just that dickhole marauder

Marauder Shields? Dude was just trying to stop you from experiencing the ending of ME3.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pattonesque posted:

The Rachni are worth 100 War Assets. That is the same as four Jacobs. And that's terrible.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BexGu posted:

Marauder Shields? Dude was just trying to stop you from experiencing the ending of ME3.

The true hero of Mass Effect 3.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I was so disappointed by the third game’s ending that I walked away from the franchise completely. I never played: the extended cut, Leaviathan, or Citadel. And I had done a paragon and renegade 100% playthrough (minus pinnacle station) on each previous game. The “BioWare magic” article really explains ME3’s flaws and the studio’s subsequent failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

I hope this happens and nobody notices for a few weeks.