Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

cock hero flux posted:

this seems like an argument furries make to try and paint people as homophobic for being put off by their community of glassy-eyed dogfuckers

Sure, I dunno how well that argument holds up. It isn’t mine. The reason I felt the need to respond to that post though is it bothered me how Anne Whateley immediately felt the need to defend the person responding to “a lot of furries are LGBT” with “yeah, well a lot of furries have HIV too!” Like, that’s barely even a dogwhistle, the only way the “HOMO = HIV” implication could have been made more clear is if ArgumentatumE.C.T spelled it out in giant flashing red text.

Say what you will about furries, at least they’re probably better than us at detecting dogwhistles. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have a feeling that Nazis are over-represented in the population of furries compared to non-furries.

From a bafflingly semi-literate New Statesman article: https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/social-media/2017/02/furred-reich-truth-about-nazi-furries-and-alt-right
Something that Trad Games has talked about for years is the "nerd social fallacies," the biggest of which is the idea that, as nerds, we have to accept every other nerd in the face of some sort of anti-nerd oppression. You see this in a lot of communities that base their identities in some sort of common activity - see how the right tried to take over "gamer" as an identity. Furries aren't an exception. And since it's a community/fetish/whatever that attracts some very mentally ill and socially maladjusted people, I think they put up with a lot of real unacceptable behavior. This doesn't make it okay, and furries need to do a much better job of self-policing their shared spaces. But it is sadly predictable that it would happen.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://news.avclub.com/the-insane-story-of-a-furry-convention-undone-by-its-de-1798264086

No one actually needs to attack furries they are perfectly capable of ruining their own culture themselves.

The people posting fursuit pics and declaring their fursonas as their true identity are basically Ned Flanders when you get Nazi diaper furs walking/crawling around a crowded hotel with a heavy load steaming away in their diaper.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Ariong posted:

Sure, I dunno how well that argument holds up. It isn’t mine. The reason I felt the need to respond to that post though is it bothered me how Anne Whateley immediately felt the need to defend the person responding to “a lot of furries are LGBT” with “yeah, well a lot of furries have HIV too!” Like, that’s barely even a dogwhistle, the only way the “HOMO = HIV” implication could have been made more clear is if ArgumentatumE.C.T spelled it out in giant flashing red text.

Say what you will about furries, at least they’re probably better than us at detecting dogwhistles. :haw:
My takeaway from that post wasn't "a lot of furries have HIV, therefore they must be gay" (????) but "some furries are knowingly infecting others with HIV," which says nothing about LGBT people, but a lot about how awful those specific people are.

I'm bi, if that helps

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Something that Trad Games has talked about for years is the "nerd social fallacies," the biggest of which is the idea that, as nerds, we have to accept every other nerd in the face of some sort of anti-nerd oppression. You see this in a lot of communities that base their identities in some sort of common activity - see how the right tried to take over "gamer" as an identity. Furries aren't an exception. And since it's a community/fetish/whatever that attracts some very mentally ill and socially maladjusted people, I think they put up with a lot of real unacceptable behavior. This doesn't make it okay, and furries need to do a much better job of self-policing their shared spaces. But it is sadly predictable that it would happen.

That makes good sense. I think a rough parallel is with advocates of civil liberties getting so entrenched in defending "freedom of speech" that the extremists warp it around to demanding "speech without consequences." Even the ACLU has been having to do some soul-searching on that one. I remember this article on the subject from last year: https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...charlottesville

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Anne Whateley posted:

My takeaway from that post wasn't "a lot of furries have HIV, therefore they must be gay" (????) but "some furries are knowingly infecting others with HIV," which says nothing about LGBT people, but a lot about how awful those specific people are.

I'm bi, if that helps

But the post was a direct response to Accordion Man’s post about LGBT furries. It quoted that post. Therefore, those images were meant to say something about the LGBT community.

EDIT: If you still disagree, let me ask you this: why do you think ArgumentatumE.C.T quoted Accordion Man’s post about LGBT furries in their post about furries intentionally spreading HIV around? What do you think they were trying to say? Because I think the implication is extremely obvious.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 00:22 on May 6, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
extremely paraphrased but this was how I read it

Accordion Man: now that I think about it, hating furries was mostly homo/transphobia
AECT: no, some furries have done some awful stuff, like knowingly infecting others and allowing predators to thrive in their community, which is a legit reason to have issues with them

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well if that’s what they meant, they did a very bad job expressing it.

EDIT Like, could they not have come up with a bad thing about furries that doesn’t also have a well-known history of being used as a weapon against gay people?

Ariong has a new favorite as of 00:50 on May 6, 2019

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ariong posted:

But the post was a direct response to Accordion Man’s post about LGBT furries. It quoted that post. Therefore, those images were meant to say something about the LGBT community.

EDIT: If you still disagree, let me ask you this: why do you think ArgumentatumE.C.T quoted Accordion Man’s post about LGBT furries in their post about furries intentionally spreading HIV around? What do you think they were trying to say? Because I think the implication is extremely obvious.

That there are other reasons to criticize furries?

If twenty years after the internet started mocking furries some of them are coming out as LGBT then that has nothing to do with the original idea of how weird and strange it was people dressed up like mascots and become famous for the orgies they would have.

As someone who is LGBT I don't like that people with an animal suit fetish are being compared to my sexual orientation. It's extremely regressive since it's closer to the line of reasoning that people are gay or bi by choice or that being bi or trans are fetishes themselves. The sexual orientation of furries is incidental to the argument and they are just loving weirdos regardless of any other definable criteria like sex, race, gender, orientation or age.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

FactsAreUseless posted:

see how the right tried to take over "gamer" as an identity.
"tried"

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have a feeling that Nazis are over-represented in the population of furries compared to non-furries.

From a bafflingly semi-literate New Statesman article: https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/social-media/2017/02/furred-reich-truth-about-nazi-furries-and-alt-right

I'm the insane taxonomy of /science-tech/social-media/

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

FactsAreUseless posted:

gamers rise up

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

El_Elegante posted:

gamers furries rise up

WE WIVE IN A SOCIETY

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ariong posted:

WE WIVE IN A SOCIETY

OWO TEXT

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Anne Whateley posted:

extremely paraphrased but this was how I read it

Accordion Man: now that I think about it, hating furries was mostly homo/transphobia
AECT: no, some furries have done some awful stuff, like knowingly infecting others and allowing predators to thrive in their community, which is a legit reason to have issues with them

Straight and gay people have knowingly infected people and will do so in the future. It’s a really badly thought out point

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Of course all orientations of people have. That's why it's not anti-LGBT, it's anti–the community that lets them run amok, in this case anti-furry because of geek social fallacies

Ariong posted:

EDIT Like, could they not have come up with a bad thing about furries that doesn’t also have a well-known history of being used as a weapon against gay people?
That's not really possible because basically all crimes have been used to make bullshit claims about gay people. If he had linked to a thing about pedo furries, obviously pedo accusations were historically a huge weapon against gay people. Ditto rape or drugs or whatever else.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

People hate furries for mostly the same reason people hate any nerd subculture, just more intensely. The relative anonymity exaggerates the worst aspects of overly horny nerds and a significant amount of people are going to be turned off by the giant emotionless eyes of a fursuit no matter what. That being said I have some friends that are furries and are good people, but I don't know any furries that don't also think that most of the furry community is creepy horny weirdos.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't think I ever saw it, unless his avatar was a probation sixer.

His avatar was the probation av but with different eyebrows.

Quite clever.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CannonFodder posted:

Quite clever.

He should've used that cleverness to not post like theabsolutely worthless poo poo he was.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
PYF Permabanned Poster

Mine will always be BotL. What an rear end in a top hat!

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

CannonFodder posted:

Quite clever.

That was an av given to him after the chain probes started. It was originally a cat a piece of paper over it's eyes, and the paper had eyes drawn on them. I liked that av, shame about the posts next to it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

oldpainless posted:

There’s no need to be hurtful

more like oldpainless

wait no

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rust Martialis posted:

more like oldpainless

wait no

:discourse:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Hogge Wilde's Recreate famous photos without photoshop thread was one of the best threads in years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Anne Whateley posted:

Of course all orientations of people have. That's why it's not anti-LGBT, it's anti–the community that lets them run amok, in this case anti-furry because of geek social fallacies

That's not really possible because basically all crimes have been used to make bullshit claims about gay people. If he had linked to a thing about pedo furries, obviously pedo accusations were historically a huge weapon against gay people. Ditto rape or drugs or whatever else.

There's literally a specific stereotype about gay sexual predators who specifically target people to infect them with diseases, especially children. And even then the idea that AIDS is a punishment that gay people inevitably suffer for their decadent and feckless 'lifestyle'.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's literally a specific stereotype about gay sexual predators who specifically target people to infect them with diseases, especially children. And even then the idea that AIDS is a punishment that gay people inevitably suffer for their decadent and feckless 'lifestyle'.

Retiring in Miami is punishment enough for a long gay life.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

FactsAreUseless posted:

the right tried to take over "gamer" as an identity.

"tried"

"take over"

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

The "nazis being overrepresented in furries" thing is probably just part of the general "facist group membership being overrepresented in populations of gay men" thing. It sounds really counterintuitive, but its apparently documented in the US and europe. I guess facist groups are almost entirely unattached young men so maybe its a target rich environment for some (lovely, short-sighted) gay dudes? Or maybe an internalized self loathing thing? I've never really understood it. Its not new though, i first read about this in like 2006 i think.

Furries do seem to be doing well at tossing out nazis from what i've heard.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There's any number of gross things furries have done, like a few years ago there was that whole thing where diaper furries got an entire con shut down because they poo poo literally everywhere but he chose to only post examples of furries having hiv like Hmmmm I Wonder What The Connection Could Be??

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PYF Permabanned Poster

I’m not familiar with hardly any of the prolific posters that have eaten permas in the last six months. I’ve genuinely enjoyed the qcs threads that follows a solid permaban.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PYF Permabanned Poster

Koos Group. What a hero!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Is :kyoon: banned?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Rust Martialis posted:

Is :kyoon: banned?

Permabanned

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
To combine these two threads, does A LITERAL NAZI FURRY count? I think they were permaed. Its kinda hilarious how long they stuck around, i think everyone thought the name was a joke, even though they had a custom avatar of their literal nazi fursona.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

One More Fat Nerd posted:

The "nazis being overrepresented in furries" thing is probably just part of the general "facist group membership being overrepresented in populations of gay men" thing. It sounds really counterintuitive, but its apparently documented in the US and europe. I guess facist groups are almost entirely unattached young men so maybe its a target rich environment for some (lovely, short-sighted) gay dudes? Or maybe an internalized self loathing thing? I've never really understood it. Its not new though, i first read about this in like 2006 i think.

Furries do seem to be doing well at tossing out nazis from what i've heard.

facism can be extremely homoerotic, if anyone is interested in this subject they should have a look at Klaus Theweleit's book Männerphantasien, it's all available online in pdf form for free

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lol LF is a loving graveyard of banned accounts

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Hey, how come YCS got moved to RFA and then closed? As far as I know it was the precursor to Imp Zone, and Imp Zone is pretty good. What was different about YCS?

purple death ray posted:

There's any number of gross things furries have done, like a few years ago there was that whole thing where diaper furries got an entire con shut down because they poo poo literally everywhere but he chose to only post examples of furries having hiv like Hmmmm I Wonder What The Connection Could Be??

:hmmyes:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Check out badgame and it will become quickly evident

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If someone didn't live through the Reagan era and the birth of AIDS (sorry, GRIDS), they might not be able to "get it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gokuweed420
Feb 1, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Ariong posted:

Hey, how come YCS got moved to RFA and then closed? As far as I know it was the precursor to Imp Zone, and Imp Zone is pretty good. What was different about YCS?

:hmmyes:

Probably because infecting someone deliberately with HIV is incredibly hosed up and (at least used to be) tantamount to ruining their life, whereas gross diaper fur things isn't....?

e: diaper furries are incredibly hosed up, but they're probably not ruining anyone's lives but their own