Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

How to Train Your Dragon Quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't wait to see the Kon fight. :black101:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
So I guess they’ll probably go with Bianca as the wife? If they’re bringing in all three gens, kinda have to go with one of them, and she has box art preference.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I get the feeling that a bunch of Japanese movie theaters might get burned down to the ground if they don't go with Bianca.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I get the feeling that a bunch of Japanese movie theaters might get burned down to the ground if they don't go with Bianca.

No, come on, these're people who actually gave Deltarune a day before posting videos spoiling everything, I'm sure things'll be fine.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wow, a dq hero who isn't an unsettling mute.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Five should be using a gnarled, beat up wooden staff as a weapon not some dumb sword im pissed

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
No Debora
No sale

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

That looks great! People are obviously already complaining that the style isn’t 1:1 Toriyama, but I think it’s refreshing. I honestly think DQXI pushed that style as far as it could go.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mover posted:

Five should be using a gnarled, beat up wooden staff as a weapon not some dumb sword im pissed
His staff was I believe "sharpened" in the game by some old woman.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

HPanda posted:

So I guess they’ll probably go with Bianca as the wife? If they’re bringing in all three gens, kinda have to go with one of them, and she has box art preference.

Probably, unless they nix the kids entirely.

I'm just happy it looks like my boys Saber and Slime1 get a pretty big role.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

BabyRyoga posted:

I just got word that most of the stuff broken in our translation patch of DQMj3 on the 3DS as far as gameplay goes has been fixed, and I was told if I finish up the polish our programmer will build a patch for the PROFESSIONAL version.

I am basically the only one translating stuff now, which leaves a few issues:
- There is some text that I can't really translate accurately without seeing where it is in the game
- There is still tons of text done by other people that's either strange or straight up incorrect and I don't really want to manually check every line of text in the game
- There are probably some consistency and continuity errors throughout the game based on different people doing different things, or the original translation being done so long ago that I forgot what it was and didn't cross reference

I hope to get a ver 0.9 patch out in the next few days or week that has 99% of the text in the game done and have some people play through it and make a note of anything that seems weird or anything that is inconsistent. Oh, and I guess bugs/crashes too, but I don't handle that and I'm not sure how much work anyone else is willing to put into squashing them at this point.

Do keep us updated on the project! I'm not into 3DS hacking at all, but by god I will get into it if it means I can play a fully translated version of Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 Professional, and I will spend the eighty bucks or whatever on a real, official copy.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So I'm now on DQXI Act 3 and I'm having some trouble with the plot

specifically with Erdwin's legend. How does everybody apparently know Erdwin was a legendary hero and yet nobody knows what he fought? I basically spent all of Acts 1 and 2 under the impression that Mordegon was the great legendary evil that Erdwin was fighting (as evidenced by his control over monsters, basically just an embodiment of chaos) but apparently he didn't even start being a thing until Erdwin was already dead? And Rab had to do a bunch of research to figure out Mordegon's name, and the party are the only non-Watchers on Earth who know what Calasmos even is? What does everyone else in the world think Erdwin DID, exactly? Can someone tell me whether this will make more sense by the end of the game?

I dunno I only just got my whale armor but so far I liked the plot better in Act 2, with there being ONE ultimate evil trying to bring down the world tree instead of two. And honestly gameplay-wise I liked Serena being a supermage better than having her and Veronica taking up two party slots. The part of Act 2 where Mordegon kept Calasmos from awakening without the cast or player knowing wtf was happening was pretty cool though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

loquacius posted:

So I'm now on DQXI Act 3 and I'm having some trouble with the plot

I think the idea there is that Calasmos is only known as The Most Evil Thing Ever, Harbinger Of General Suckiness, so when he died and wizard man became Mordegon that title was blurred together

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

more DQXI plot discussion

This could work, except Mordegon seems to think he was the great evil from the legend too, or otherwise he wouldn't be so obsessed with the Luminary that he shows up literally the day he was born to destroy Dundrasil over it. A lot of the way Mordegon acts in Act 1 sort of doesn't make a lot of sense when I think about it, really -- his number one goal from the MC's birth up until Yggdrasil is to kill him, but then right at the end of Act 1 he gets to steal the Sword of Light and launch his campaign of world chaos with the power that gives him. Why was he trying to kill him earlier, then? Shouldn't his number one goal from the beginning of the game have been to get the main character to Yggdrasil as soon as humanly possible so he can steal that sword?

Act 3 is great gameplay-wise because I get to craft endgame gear and I love that kind of poo poo, but the plot kind of feels like a not-fully-fleshed-out sequel.

e: Also as long as I'm complaining, at the beginning of Act 2 I was super stoked for post-apocalypse Dragon Quest, but then it turns out by "the whole world has been destroyed" they actually meant "Heliodor has been destroyed, also Octagonia is under new management". I showed up to Puerto Valor and it was exactly the same and I was like "oh come on :mad:"

I wouldn't get so hung up on this kind of stuff if I wasn't really into the game, though. DQ8 was my favorite game of my college years, and DQXI is pretty much DQ8 but better. They just should have hired me as a consultant to prevent some of these decisions :v:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 6, 2019

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

loquacius posted:

This could work, except Mordegon seems to think he was the great evil from the legend too, or otherwise he wouldn't be so obsessed with the Luminary that he shows up literally the day he was born to destroy Dundrasil over it. A lot of the way Mordegon acts in Act 1 sort of doesn't make a lot of sense when I think about it, really -- his number one goal from the MC's birth up until Yggdrasil is to kill him, but then right at the end of Act 1 he gets to steal the Sword of Light and launch his campaign of world chaos with the power that gives him. Why was he trying to kill him earlier, then? Shouldn't his number one goal from the beginning of the game have been to get the main character to Yggdrasil as soon as humanly possible so he can steal that sword?

Act 3 is great gameplay-wise because I get to craft endgame gear and I love that kind of poo poo, but the plot kind of feels like a not-fully-fleshed-out sequel.

e: Also as long as I'm complaining, at the beginning of Act 2 I was super stoked for post-apocalypse Dragon Quest, but then it turns out by "the whole world has been destroyed" they actually meant "Heliodor has been destroyed, also Octagonia is under new management". I showed up to Puerto Valor and it was exactly the same and I was like "oh come on :mad:"

I wouldn't get so hung up on this kind of stuff if I wasn't really into the game, though. DQ8 was my favorite game of my college years, and DQXI is pretty much DQ8 but better. They just should have hired me as a consultant to prevent some of these decisions :v:

Also attacked mermaid land, that one city the twins come from, hot spring town being on the verge of collapse from a dragon, Gondolia overrun with monsters, one city that has much of its population converted into a dragon horde, one city currently being turned to gold, one city about to be crushed by the real great evil, etc. Not all of the apocalypse is complete yet. There’s just a few places where the hero is more helping them recover, and others where he’s preventing things from falling apart completely. It’s more late apocalypse Dragon Quest than post apocalypse.

Also Puerto Valor was the home of the greatest knight to ever knight, and his kid is also in the general area keeping things in check.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

loquacius posted:

Act 2 seems to be shooting more for the feel of DQI-III than FFVI's World of Ruin. Human civilization is weak and isolated and the Dark Lord menaces the world from atop his throne as his armies advance.

The game would be stronger if Act 2 had more content and Act 1 had less because Act 2 has a tone that compliments the gameplay while Act 1 doesn't know what it wants to be.

Clara
Feb 7, 2004

Microcline posted:

The game would be stronger if Act 2 had more content and Act 1 had less because Act 2 has a tone that compliments the gameplay while Act 1 doesn't know what it wants to be.

This is also true because it would mean more Hendrik content, who along with Sylvando steals every single scene he's in. :colbert:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It really is amazing how completely my opinion of Hendrik flipped around over the course of Act 2, he owns

Sylvando is great in cutscenes but needs to be better in combat though, once I got better sources of full-party healing, Oomph, and AoE damage I p much stopped using him.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Yall are crazy. I can't deal with this lol. Act 2 is full of gloom even if it isn't post-apoc, there's paranoia everywhere and I think that's a good feel. Like there's a giant glowing orb over Gallopolis, it isn't like there's no stakes here. The pacing of the first act introducing the world and Act 2 pulling the lid off is also extremely good.

And finally, both Hendrik and Sylvando are great in combat and cutscenes and I used them together a lot! It's a good game!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

On character ballance: I found the character balance in DQ11 to be freaky good. Like not just every character being viable and fun and having interesting synergy with everyone else, but like the pacing of character introductions and reintroductions keeping things fresh until you were ready to take a deep dive in Act 3. Act 2 having this funky pace where it de-emphasises magic until you get Serena and suddenly you have a superpowered magic character going into the first ending is super cool. lol sorry to gush I just really like this game.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
It's a top tier RPG

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Finally discussing something that doesn't need to be (entirely) spoiler-blocked:

My meta for Act 2 was all Oomphle, Sap, and physical techs, even with supermage Serena, but Veronica's superspells, spoiler-blocked for anyone playing Act 2 who doesn't know Veronica comes back have me rethinking that for Act 3

Jade spinning in circles and hornying enemies to death was really my main source of magic damage through most of Act 2 lol

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Question about the start of the Post Game vignettes:

Prior to going to the mysterious ruins and kicking off that whole storyline, the map marks several pink dots that correspond to small cutscenes with various characters reuniting. There's a marker at The Last Bastion and a cutscene with King Carnelian and Jade, a marker north of Sniflheim with Erik and Mia, a marker in Puerto Valor with Sylvando and Dadvando (a great scene), and then there are two more map markers near Dundrasil. One of the two is definitely marking the Mysterious Ruins, but I can't figure out how to get to the other. What am I missing? I can't see it on any of the maps near Dundrasil and it doesn't appear to be in Octagonia. It also isn't in the Haven's Above area. Did I miss it in the Ruins of Dundrasil? It looks to be southwest of Dundrasil but the map only allows you to go southeast, to the Zwaardsrust region and the Warrior's Rest Inn.

Sidenote: I really don't like that the map markers go away as soon as you go the mysterious ruins. It makes a lot of this stuff easy to miss. No one should miss the scene with Sylvando's Dad and the Soldiers of Smile.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I missed it in the Ruins of Dundrasil. I forgot about the well that allows you to access more of the area.

The scene is Rab and the Luminary at Eleanor's grave.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I got to the Fortress of Fear at level 45 and got whipped by the first blue demon boss.

Is this not the very end of the game? Should I have already been informed of the trials? I have to have missed something to suddenly be so low level for the story. I've annihilated everything up until now.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

me your dad posted:

I got to the Fortress of Fear at level 45 and got whipped by the first blue demon boss.

Is this not the very end of the game? Should I have already been informed of the trials? I have to have missed something to suddenly be so low level for the story. I've annihilated everything up until now.

If you can get to the Fortress you haven't missed anything. Who are you using, what equipment, what strategy, etc?

e: Anything in the plot, I should say. You may have missed some items that are helpful.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 6, 2019

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've honestly been playing pretty casually with no real strategy. Somehow it's worked out until now.

I'm using the main character, Hendrik, Sylvando and Rab. I'm wearing whatever armor I've been finding except I did buy the dragon mail (I think that's the name) for MC.

My MC is 2 hander. So is the spoiler person mentioned above. Sylvando is swords. I can't remember what Rab is using at the moment. He spams the sword move and heals everyone so I haven't been too worried about his weapon.

Sorry for a lack of real information. It's been a ridiculously easy game and I haven't had to worry about much until now.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

me your dad posted:

Have you used the forge to upgrade your equipment?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, forge your poo poo to +2/3. Also, buffs are real substantial if you’re not already using them, they can be stacked to two layers and with Hero/Sylvando/Eight/Rab you’re pretty much covered on everything except Sap (and even then you can respec Eight to axes for Helm Splitter/Scrap Mettle for that).

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Dr.Smasher posted:

Have you used the forge to upgrade your equipment?

I have not. I didn't realize it would make much of a difference. I'll try upgrading my MC armor since it probably won't be replaced in a while.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

me your dad posted:

I have not. I didn't realize it would make much of a difference. I'll try upgrading my MC armor since it probably won't be replaced in a while.

Also give everything craftable a look over to see if you can make it and it's better, iirc that's where most of your good poo poo will be coming from at this point.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Upgrade everything you possibly can. It's worth the time.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So I started DQ11 over the weekend. It seems to start a little slow but I feel like it's picking up. It's been a while since I've played a full on rpg so seems like a good time for me to really dive into one.

I'm probably going to go for the platinum trophy. I see there's nothing missable but is there anything I should worry about specifically while I tackle the story? Just do all quests as I find them and try to explore to find as much as I can, yeah?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ineffiable posted:

So I started DQ11 over the weekend. It seems to start a little slow but I feel like it's picking up. It's been a while since I've played a full on rpg so seems like a good time for me to really dive into one.

I'm probably going to go for the platinum trophy. I see there's nothing missable but is there anything I should worry about specifically while I tackle the story? Just do all quests as I find them and try to explore to find as much as I can, yeah?

Enjoy it, it's a great game with a fantastic cast of characters.
Just...just turn the music slider all the way down

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol i just don't get why so many people hate the music

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
cause it's bad midi with like the same four songs for most of the game.

the war crime denying homophobe didnt even try this time

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I wish more RPGs had Story Recap. I put this aside for awhile and had forgotten what exactly was currently happening, but the recap brought me up the speed.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

midi is good and orchestra is overrated imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks for the advice on gear. I'll see what the best stuff is that I can make and then I'll have to source the ingredients. That should have the side benefit of helping me level up a bit more.

Regarding annoying sounds - nothing has been as bad as the first part of the game with Erik. I don't know why but his voice annoys the poo poo out of me.