Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

So It Goes posted:

It’s really not that crazy that anti-dragon weaponry wasn’t developed during the conquest because Westeros never once interacted with dragons before, but post experience with them they’d be able to develop them.

But it was developed and they did use it and they did kill a dragon with it.

quote:

The First Dornish War began in 4 AC, when Aegon decided to conquer the kingdom at last. Queen Rhaenys led the first assault on Dorne, seizing Dornish seats as she approached Sunspear, and burning the Planky Town on Meraxes. In 10 AC at Hellholt, an iron bolt from a scorpion went through Meraxes's eye, and the dragon and Rhaenys fell from the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

e: beaten

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
But isn't it stated somewhere that it was only because it happened to get it in the eye, and was basically a million-to-one shot?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Sky Shadowing posted:

But isn't it stated somewhere that it was only because it happened to get it in the eye, and was basically a million-to-one shot?

Yes: https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Meraxes
Apparently the scorpio hit it right there and made him and his rider go down.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Nobody reading history books is consistent.

Everybody gets assigned one book nerd per castle, and that book nerd probably didn't read history either, he just got the cliffnotes version from some senile book nerd.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

If you watch the behind the scenes about this episode they actually talk about how Qyburn saw the scorpions used on Drogon in season 7 weren't powerful enough so he went back to the drawing board and made new ones. The ones Euron was using are 65% larger.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

Even so, it's a logical progression

"This did work 300 years ago but it was lucky as gently caress, can we make it better and more likely to work"
"I think I've made it better, we have a chance to try it out"
"It worked decently, they're going north and we need to iterate on it, let's do that because if they survive we need to kill the dragons"
"It worked"

It's the framing and how it happened in the show that sucks, not that they have dragonkillers.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

TheRat posted:

quote:

The First Dornish War began in 4 AC, when Aegon decided to conquer the kingdom at last. Queen Rhaenys led the first assault on Dorne, seizing Dornish seats as she approached Sunspear, and burning the Planky Town on Meraxes. In 10 AC at Hellholt, an iron bolt from a scorpion went through Meraxes's eye, and the dragon and Rhaenys fell from the sky.
There was a place called Planky Town? Dorne sucks.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

TheRat posted:

I mean that only makes that guys rant about it even sillier. I see nothing wrong with an injured dragon dying to ballistas and everything about how it was staged (the super accurate sniping, the fact they weren’t seen, the fact they are being shot from boats, the fact Euron is an annoying character to have do something so major). Again, should’ve faced off and had a volley fire at them but the injured dragon can’t get away in time. This seems so simple to me but what do I know I don’t write for one of the biggest tv shows of all time.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Maybe the Lord of Harrenhall should've built 12 scorpions instead of Hearths and he'd still have an unmelted castle.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

trickybiscuits posted:

There was a place called Planky Town?

It is of the planks.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I'm fine with Rhaegal dying like that because that sort of random dying happens, even to "heroes". What bothers me is that they didn't have Qyburn give a throwaway line about how they needed to up the tension in the scorpions to puncture dragon skin and sometimes they might explode on themselves due to it. Show the scorpions firing but some of them crack and break with hilarious effect on the surrounding crew. It'd allow for their existence while not letting them be a hard counter to dragons.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The nitpick isn't about there being effective ways to kill dragons, it's that the show trivialized the dragons with a bloody "gosh yeah well of course just shoot the dragon with the scorpions and hit him this time" ex machina. The dragons all went down like complete chumps.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I'm not sure you know what a deus ex machina is.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

TheRat posted:

I'm not sure you know what a deus ex machina is.

this is the most misused criticism of all time and it drives me nuts

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

also that's not even a starbucks cup you drat goons!!! you all make me sick

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Admiral Ray posted:

I'm fine with Rhaegal dying like that because that sort of random dying happens, even to "heroes". What bothers me is that they didn't have Qyburn give a throwaway line about how they needed to up the tension in the scorpions to puncture dragon skin and sometimes they might explode on themselves due to it. Show the scorpions firing but some of them crack and break with hilarious effect on the surrounding crew. It'd allow for their existence while not letting them be a hard counter to dragons.

That'd be cool. Honestly, if the show just gave a bit more setup, a lot of twists would be easier to swallow. Getting caught totally surprised once or twice is fine, but the more sudden twists are used and abused, the less I'm able to invest in the story because I just feel like I'm being jerked around.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The nitpick isn't about there being effective ways to kill dragons, it's that the show trivialized the dragons with a bloody "gosh yeah well of course just shoot the dragon with the scorpions and hit him this time" ex machina. The dragons all went down like complete chumps.

It works by fire emblem rules, winged units receive triple damage from bows, and Dragon 2 got hit with three endgame bows with one obviously being a critical hit. Not even a final boss could survive that

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I really didn't like what they did with Brienne for this episode.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
Really cool that 2 dragons have now died thanks to supernatural snipers. Would hate to see that bad guys come up with a plan or something. Wouldn’t want to put such a burden on the writers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I really didn't like what they did with Brienne for this episode.

Agreed. The drinking game bit turned very cruel and the awkward scene with Jamie should have come before the knitting scene, which was actually the biggest display of intimacy and love between the two (and best scene of the season easily). Then to leave her crying and begging him not to leave. Yikes. Way to ruin their entire character arcs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mullitt posted:

Really cool that 2 dragons have now died thanks to supernatural snipers. Would hate to see that bad guys come up with a plan or something. Wouldn’t want to put such a burden on the writers.

One supernatural sniper and Fred Durst with a crossbow.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Mullitt posted:

It'd have gone over a lot smoother of they'd handled it like they handled wildfire. Wildfire got set up throughout Season 2, focusing on Tyrion gathering intel on it and organizing its distribution. Then when it exploded and hosed up Stannis' ships, that felt like earned payoff.

Like, imagine if the wildfire explosion happened but there was absolutely no mention of it at any other prior point in the story. It'd seem like a massive rear end pull.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Captain Splendid posted:

Will Grey Worm finally get to poop this season ? :ohdear:

dude has the worst posture in the universe

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Bottom Liner posted:

Agreed. The drinking game bit turned very cruel and the awkward scene with Jamie should have come before the knitting scene, which was actually the biggest display of intimacy and love between the two (and best scene of the season easily). Then to leave her crying and begging him not to leave. Yikes. Way to ruin their entire character arcs.

That felt pretty in line with Jaime's arc, tbh. He's a piece of poo poo that's slowly coming up to breathe and Sansa pushed his head back under when she taunted him about Cersei's death. Him going back to Cersei despite his misgivings makes sense given the nature of their insanely abusive relationship.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Mullitt posted:

Writing competent antagonists is too hard, let’s make our heroes look like dumbasses who manage to get by on sheer luck and contrivances. It’ll make for great dramatic tension!!!!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jaime's going to go kill Cersei in a parallel to him killing Aerys and he was being a prick to Brienne to spare her feelings because Jaime knows he's not coming back to her. He doesn't want Brienne to be chasing the ghost of what Jaime is to her, so he's trying to break that image of her.

It won't work and he'll die in Brienne's arms.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Xanderkish posted:

It'd have gone over a lot smoother of they'd handled it like they handled wildfire. Wildfire got set up throughout Season 2, focusing on Tyrion gathering intel on it and organizing its distribution. Then when it exploded and hosed up Stannis' ships, that felt like earned payoff.

Like, imagine if the wildfire explosion happened but there was absolutely no mention of it at any other prior point in the story. It'd seem like a massive rear end pull.

The wildfire explosion worked because it didn't require Stannis to be stupid

Like Stannis' plan of "assault the castle by sea in order to attack the weakest gate" is totally sound, he just didn't count on Tyrion having a wildfire ship available.

Contrast that with "the Dothraki die because Jon/Dany send them charging blind into an enemy that won't rout and has no formation"

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Captain Splendid posted:

Will Grey Worm finally get to poop this season ? :ohdear:

Holding it in so long he's starting to gain weight.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

The leak that has been 100% spot-on so far had Bran becoming King, so that's what will happen, IMO. It also had Jaime going to Cersei to try to get her out of the city and telling her that she was the only thing that ever mattered, not the baby, so we aren't going to see some huge character shift for Jaime.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

TheRat posted:

They shot it in the eye though. I know I said this before and people kicked off but it's a lot different in that case.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
We should have known something was up when Vegas got so bullish on Bran being king right before the season started.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The dragon should have just had a bigger open wound from the last battle. I could see them successfully hitting and killing with that in mind.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

it's weird that the show took the time to show Rhaegal struggling to fly well at one point but then he was killed off by a surprise attack in which his weakened state wasn't really relevant. I'm not sure why they couldn't have had the first couple of individual shots miss but then have Rhaegal struggle to dodge the volley of bolts that comes right after

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Is it explained or even suggested anywhere why Tormund and the freefolk go back north of the wall? It's so out of left field. Just straight up "I have to go, my planet needs me".

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

romanowski posted:

it's weird that the show took the time to show Rhaegal struggling to fly well at one point but then he was killed off by a surprise attack in which his weakened state wasn't really relevant. I'm not sure why they couldn't have had the first couple of individual shots miss but then have Rhaegal struggle to dodge the volley of bolts that comes right after

congratulations, you just put more thought into the scene than anyone on the crew

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Jaime's going to go kill Cersei in a parallel to him killing Aerys and he was being a prick to Brienne to spare her feelings because Jaime knows he's not coming back to her. He doesn't want Brienne to be chasing the ghost of what Jaime is to her, so he's trying to break that image of her.

It won't work and he'll die in Brienne's arms.

That sounds too nuanced and above a 5th grade reading level to me though

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

Is it explained or even suggested anywhere why Tormund and the freefolk go back north of the wall? It's so out of left field. Just straight up "I have to go, my planet needs me".

The north is their home. They were running south because a big fuckoff army of dead people were coming for them. The dead are gone now. They want to go home.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

Says he cant get laid in the North even though he clearly fucks the night before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

A Typical Goon posted:

Says he cant get laid in the North even though he clearly fucks the night before

He misses the bears