Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

IPCRESS posted:

It gets even better (worse): Just watched footage of people disembarking via the front slides, some of whom appeared to be carrying their carry-on luggage.

Is the Sukhoi superjet certified to fly outside of Russia?

Yeah, Europe.

https://www.superjetinternational.com/media-center/sukhoi-superjet-100-gets-type-certificate-from-easa/2012/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

In the US? Tens of dollars in fines from the faa

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CEO will golden parachute, next CEO will talk about recomitting to safety. No other outcomes.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
OSHA/auspol crossover.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

9’2” Bridge. The younger, pluckier cousin of 11’8”.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A view of the flaming landing from inside the cabin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irzzya97Ldg

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Warning in question was a warning of a disagreement between AoA sensors. In the context of these crashes and the behavior of MCAS, that's noise.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

SelenicMartian posted:

:stonk:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

Brown Moses posted:

I mostly watch with the sound off so I can't hear the screams

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It makes me furious that 44 people or so died and yet people were getting off with their carry-on poo poo. There's no way the latter didn't contribute to the former in some way.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It makes me furious that 44 people or so died and yet people were getting off with their carry-on poo poo. There's no way the latter didn't contribute to the former in some way.
People are insanely dumb and actually evacuating anything quickly is pretty much impossible without tons and tons of training.

I have watched grown-rear end adults just stare agape at the loud blinky thing like they have never heard a loving fire alarm before, and then argue with me about whether they need to leave.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wowza

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's a reason why the military drills helicopter water evacuation into your head until you can literally do it blind. Fight or flight doesn't work in a situation where you need calm and order.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Rent-A-Cop posted:

People are insanely dumb and actually evacuating anything quickly is pretty much impossible without tons and tons of training.

I have watched grown-rear end adults just stare agape at the loud blinky thing like they have never heard a loving fire alarm before, and then argue with me about whether they need to leave.

I was in a hotel room, passed out from a long night of partying when the fire alarm was pulled by some douchebag for no reason. I remember trying to figure out what to do, and just pacing around the room and half-doing things (putting on clothes, grabbing my wallet, etc.) but never really completing any action. I finally grabbed a pillow and held it over the strobe/horn and was able to gather my thoughts and get out.

I think of myself as a smart person who knows what to do in emergencies, but if that building had actually been on fire I might not have made it out alive.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That's been known since the 2nd crash though hasnt it? That Boeing sells safety features as DLC

They promised not to do that anymore and everybody forgot

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You know what's pretty OSHA? Leaving an old strip club and roach hotel abandoned for years and years with no inspections or renovations. Oh also it's absolutely full of asbestos. RIP my lungs?

I could feel the heat just standing here.

View from my office window:

Even this far away our office stinks and people are coughing.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Some people inside Boeing thought that feature was standard, while others (correctly) thought the AoA disagreement warning light was an optional purchase.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

You know what's pretty OSHA? Leaving an old strip club and roach hotel abandoned for years and years with no inspections or renovations. Oh also it's absolutely full of asbestos. RIP my lungs?

I could feel the heat just standing here.

View from my office window:

Even this far away our office stinks and people are coughing.

don't worry, asbestos doesn't burn!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Last time we had a fire alarm at work, we mostly just spent our time wondering what the gently caress it was(our building has like five different alarms for theft, doors being opened that should be left closed, etc. and half the time they go off it's because of a fault or just because someone who was MEANT to open the door didn't bother/remember disabling the alarm first. To make it doubly confusing, the fire-alarm is preceded by a coded message for the employees so they can prepare to usher out the customers which is very similar to ANOTHER coded message we get over the PA system every couple of days, and thus everyone thought it was just someone mangling that code). Then when someone actually hauled rear end down the building telling us it was a fire alarm, everyone calmly picked up their stuff and went out the main doors rather than using any of the intended emergency exits or leaving their stuff where it was.

We would absolutely all die horribly if it was an actual fire.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

El_Elegante posted:

Some people inside Boeing thought that feature was standard, while others (correctly) thought the AoA disagreement warning light was an optional purchase.
I think the feature splat that got them was they had an add-on AOA instrument. The software was supposed to take votes from 2 standard or 3 enhanced, but the software was hosed up and only took votes when you had all 3 instruments. This is them copping to saying yeah it supposed to logically take votes from 2 without the upgrade to add the 3rd instrument.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

zedprime posted:

I think the feature splat that got them was they had an add-on AOA instrument. The software was supposed to take votes from 2 standard or 3 enhanced, but the software was hosed up and only took votes when you had all 3 instruments. This is them copping to saying yeah it supposed to logically take votes from 2 without the upgrade to add the 3rd instrument.

Im not sure, but here’s the press release

Boeing press release posted:

The Boeing design requirements for the 737 MAX included the AOA Disagree alert as a standard, standalone feature, in keeping with Boeing’s fundamental design philosophy of retaining commonality with the 737NG. In 2017, within several months after beginning 737 MAX deliveries, engineers at Boeing identified that the 737 MAX display system software did not correctly meet the AOA Disagree alert requirements. The software delivered to Boeing linked the AOA Disagree alert to the AOA indicator, which is an optional feature on the MAX and the NG. Accordingly, the software activated the AOA Disagree alert only if an airline opted for the AOA indicator.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

El_Elegante posted:

Im not sure, but here’s the press release

You elected not to have the oil pressure number display installed on your car

Accordingly, the software disables the oil pressure warning light

Good luck

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cojawfee posted:

There's a reason why the military drills helicopter water evacuation into your head until you can literally do it blind. Fight or flight doesn't work in a situation where you need calm and order.

Same thing with shipboard fire training in the USN and USCG

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Devor posted:

You elected not to have the oil pressure number display installed on your car

Accordingly, the software disables the oil pressure warning light

Good luck
Haha yeah it's even sillier than it being redundant instruments like I thought, sounds like it was a display they wanted you to buy and the indicator was linked to it's DLC purchase.

I haven't seen anything leading to a home run hanging of specific management yet. So far everything seems to be in the margins of a FMEA around the newer flight envelope management. There's probably a cadre of engineers yelling "I told you we should have just taught them the new envelope! I told you so!"

Probably some fines and a middle management reshuffle at this point. Gonna need another bombshell for them to start touching anyone above a VP level except maybe a program manager who made the decision to focus on the flight envelope cheats to expand the market without requiring extra training on new flight characteristics.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

Last time we had a fire alarm at work, we mostly just spent our time wondering what the gently caress it was(our building has like five different alarms for theft, doors being opened that should be left closed, etc. and half the time they go off it's because of a fault or just because someone who was MEANT to open the door didn't bother/remember disabling the alarm first. To make it doubly confusing, the fire-alarm is preceded by a coded message for the employees so they can prepare to usher out the customers which is very similar to ANOTHER coded message we get over the PA system every couple of days, and thus everyone thought it was just someone mangling that code). Then when someone actually hauled rear end down the building telling us it was a fire alarm, everyone calmly picked up their stuff and went out the main doors rather than using any of the intended emergency exits or leaving their stuff where it was.

Your workplace would benefit well from the studies on planes, nuclear power plants, etc. that talk about minimizing the number of warning signs that are given. There's a serious concern in high-risk fields about the tendency to put a light, alarm, or other warning for everything that could possibly need an alert because of the possibility of a cascading series of warnings creating an overwhelming array of noise and flashing lights.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeRtIYKj5og

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Your workplace would benefit well from the studies on planes, nuclear power plants, etc. that talk about minimizing the number of warning signs that are given. There's a serious concern in high-risk fields about the tendency to put a light, alarm, or other warning for everything that could possibly need an alert because of the possibility of a cascading series of warnings creating an overwhelming array of noise and flashing lights.

It’s not just an overwhelming amount of noise that is an issue. When everything has an alarm, it will just turn into background noise when they are going off constantly. I work in a control room environment, and the amount of alarms we get (not audible, just computer visual alarms) seems to be increasing daily. There are a lot of useless alarms that come in that can mask an important alarm, or at least delay recognition of it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Just your average day for the PG&E power grid.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nocheez posted:

I was in a hotel room, passed out from a long night of partying when the fire alarm was pulled by some douchebag for no reason. I remember trying to figure out what to do, and just pacing around the room and half-doing things (putting on clothes, grabbing my wallet, etc.) but never really completing any action. I finally grabbed a pillow and held it over the strobe/horn and was able to gather my thoughts and get out.

I think of myself as a smart person who knows what to do in emergencies, but if that building had actually been on fire I might not have made it out alive.

Are you Alan Davies? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoG9RzGMPqs&t=165s

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I still don't get how that tree got so bad. Does the power company just never inspect its lines to see if trees are growing into them? if so, do they just not bother trimming? Also, how did it take that long for the power lines to finally start a fire like that? Trees don't just grow overnight.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I wanna hear what the arcing in that tree sounds like.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Does the power company just never inspect its lines to see if trees are growing into them?
Sounds bad for quarterly earnings tbh

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

I still don't get how that tree got so bad. Does the power company just never inspect its lines to see if trees are growing into them? if so, do they just not bother trimming? Also, how did it take that long for the power lines to finally start a fire like that? Trees don't just grow overnight.

I'm confused, where does the shareholder value come in

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

I believe during Afganistan russian tanks had to switch the chemical they used for coolant or add something nasty to it because the tank crews were drinking it all to get extremely hosed up and then their tanks would over-heat.

Drinking torpedo fuel was a thing also, back in the day.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There was some new construction completed near my house a year or two ago along my route to the train station where they planted trees directly under the power lines. Like not even an inch to the side, right smack dab under the hanging lines. Every time I walk by I think "you imbeciles; you absolute morons"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, you say that, but if the place burns down with everyone inside it'll be blessed release. So it's more or less working as it should.

We work in customer service, you see.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

PurpleXVI posted:

We actually HAD a real fire at work once (welders outside accidentally set a fire while working on piping) and the alarm went off, we all got up and started collecting our stuff and shuffling to the door when a guy bust in and yelled "GUYS, THE BUILDING IS REALLY ON FIRE!!!!" cue PANDEMONIUM. Everyone dropped their stuff and booked it to any available exit. Rally point? Forgotten. Fire exits? Ignored.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

beep-beep car is go posted:

We actually HAD a real fire at work once (welders outside accidentally set a fire while working on piping) and the alarm went off, we all got up and started collecting our stuff and shuffling to the door when a guy bust in and yelled "GUYS, THE BUILDING IS REALLY ON FIRE!!!!" cue PANDEMONIUM. Everyone dropped their stuff and booked it to any available exit. Rally point? Forgotten. Fire exits? Ignored.

I'm imagining people throwing chairs through windows and then jumping out.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Cojawfee posted:

I'm imagining people throwing chairs through windows and then jumping out.

Pretty close. If the building wasn't half empty and the exits were crowded, people would have absolutely been in a mindset to start tossing chairs or vaulting, Costanza-style over the slower people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
*shoves down Gloria, who is back at work for the first time since her hip replacement*

MOVE OVER! SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST, BITCH!