Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

just another posted:

Why did he get killed again? Wasn't it Varys despite Varys claiming this episode that he only cares about finding the best ruler?

Varys wants to put Young Griff on the throne, Kevan is doing too good of a job in stabilising things now Cersei isn't Queen Regent. The book Varys and show Varys are pretty different in motivation and I wouldn't necessarily equate them at this point. Varys is maybe a Blackfyre bastard along with Illyrio Mopatis but definitely more of a Targaryen loyalist than a dude who just wants Westeros to be peaceful for the small folk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Bran said he spends most his time in the past now. He's like one of those guys in Inception who get lost in their own dreams that they don't give a gently caress about the now and are fine with wasting away, or not making any facial expressions.
That's fine and all but he just seems like a total waste of potential as a character. I suppose he isn't the only one at this point but imo he stands out in that regard.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Admiral Ray posted:

Varys wants Cersei kept in power for as long as possible so that there can be a savior of the realm to unite the fighting houses and be seen as a hero by the people. Kevan, being competent, threatened that.

Varys the Hard Utilitarian goddamn

Vichan posted:

They literally picked the least appealing era.
They should set it during the time of the First Men so we can have all the early white walker drama, with Children of the Forest for magic, and the legendary heroes of yore so we can still have characters with familiar names like "Stark"

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

just another posted:

I thought in the book it's because he was explicitly trying to restore the Targ dynasty but I don't remember that being a plot point in the show. But maybe I'm misremembering.

In his exchange with Littlefinger he looks at the iron throne when asked what his real desire is. In the ending of book 5... I think you'll remember.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
You could do a lot worse than King Varys :colbert:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

pepito sanchez posted:

Aren't they supposed to "continue" GoT with an original series and story on Valyria set in the same universe? Speaking of terrible ideas.

So basically the ASoIaF version of Krypton?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Captain Splendid posted:

So basically the ASoIaF version of Krypton?

I was thinking Caprica lol

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

lezard_valeth posted:

Yeah and that was in turn a callback to when Arya told Ned "That's not me" back in season 1 when she was waterdance training and Ned told her he will find a good lord to marry her into

Syrio Forel confirmed for the finale
If Jaqen H'Ghar and Syrio Forel are the same person I am going to poo poo, and not just brown water.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Crow Jane posted:

Yeah but it won't happen. So they're clearly makin out Dany to be irrational and weird now. Last episode, Arya kills Cersei, Varys kills Dany, someone kills him, he has an epic "for the realm..." line and Jon becomes King. Boring but logical.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

pepito sanchez posted:

Yeah but it won't happen. So they're clearly makin out Dany to be irrational and weird now. Last episode, Arya kills Cersei, Varys kills Dany, someone kills him, he has an epic "for the realm..." line and Jon becomes King. Boring but logical.

Meh, Arya probably won't kill Cersei. It will be interesting to see what (if anything) they do with Arya, but p sure hound is killing the mountain.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I can't wait to see Bran become king.

The writing is on the wall for it, he's permanently sitting down anyways and he'll just get absorbed by the mangled mess of blades that is the throne and become it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Just send Bran to the Citadel to creep out and well ack-shually all the maesters

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Crow Jane posted:

You could a lot better because you've got a war for succession on your hands when he dies and if he names a heir that people don't like, that person is getting killed so they can't inherit and then that starts another snowball war going too.

If you have a monarchy as government, you kinda need to be able to make heirs to make succession clear.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 6, 2019

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Maarak posted:

D&D's nightmare of an aftershow aside, Dany "forgetting" about the Iron fleet as she has another cinematic dragon flight moment seemed well within the show's rhythms.

Where is the aftershow? YouTube?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I was thinking Caprica lol

Maybe this new series will also spin its wheels long enough to get cancelled before getting good.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Deakul posted:

I can't wait to see Bran become king.

How did you misspell Bronn?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Red posted:

Where is the aftershow? YouTube?

Yeah, they call them Game Revealed, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQV89TE8DQ

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If you have a monarchy as government, you kinda need to be able to make heirs to make succession clear.

Plot twist: Varys invents Democracy

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

PostNouveau posted:

I think that got put on the shelf after Charlottesville. HBO got a lot of blowback about it to begin with.

Also D&D got signed on to do a Star Wars trilogy, which is some failing upward poo poo if I've ever seen it.

Star Wars may actually be a better fit for them. Simpler story with fewer characters. More straight forward good guys vs bad guys plot. Much faster pace. And expectations are already in the toilet for Star Wars after episode 8 so it's not like it could get much worse.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Another dumb sequence I'm sure has been mentioned but I can't read it all! :

Jon Snow's direwolf Ghost. Been with him since the very beginning of series, the last direwolf remaining with its recipient, stayed around through countless expeditions, battles, survived the initial doomed charge against the dead. Jon Snow is just like "Oh hey Tormund I don't want this thing anymore. You take it".

Like...WHAT?!?! No farewells, no nothing. Idiots. Frickin idiots.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 6, 2019

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Kawalimus posted:

Jon Snow's direwolf Ghost. Been with him since the very beginning of series, the last direwolf remaining with its recipient, survived the initial doomed charge against the dead. Jon Snow is just like "Oh hey Tormund I don't want this thing anymore. You take it".

You’re saying his impulsive decision to abandon The North and head south is ill advised?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Kawalimus posted:

Jon Snow's direwolf Ghost. Been with him since the very beginning of series, the last direwolf remaining with its recipient, survived the initial doomed charge against the dead. Jon Snow is just like "Oh hey Tormund I don't want this thing anymore. You take it".

The writer's forgot about Ghost until that scene. Ghost was 100% added in during post-production in the previous episodes.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Red posted:

You’re saying his impulsive decision to abandon The North and head south is ill advised?

Impulsive ill advised decisions are Jon's thing.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Red posted:

That falls in line with his character just fine. Loyal, honorable Ned Jr.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Admiral Ray posted:

The writer's forgot about Ghost until that scene. Ghost was 100% added in during post-production in the previous episodes.

I reiterate: Idiots.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

trickybiscuits posted:

If Jaqen H'Ghar and Syrio Forel are the same person I am going to poo poo, and not just brown water.

It's interesting to me that Syrio wasn't as big of a thing to people in the show whereas with the books people loving LOVED him and were convinced he'd be back.

I guess he's the equivalent of Bronn, where people really love Bronn in the show so he actually does come back and do loads of poo poo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jean Eric Burn posted:

The GoT promotion cycle rules because you get to watch TV personalities pretend to be huge fans of the show but somehow don't know how to pronounce any of the character's names.

not even the showrunners know how to pronounce the loving names lmao

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cut the utterly poo poo scene where Dany and Jon go flying to gently caress under a waterfall in the freezing cold, spend the money on a scene where Jon plays with Ghost and says goodbye to him before heading south.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
the only good scene in the entire episode was the part where bronn showed up for like 30 seconds

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

pepito sanchez posted:

Plot twist: Varys invents Democracy

I don't know why Varys and Tyrion, the two "geniuses of politics" on the show, haven't thought of just changing the laws so that a king and queen could rule jointly as equals. Seems like a very simple thing to do, and it would be easy to convince both Dany and Jon that it's a good idea. But no, they have to have this falling out before even discussing that logical possibility so that there's a pointless civil war between them.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Kawalimus posted:

Jon Snow's direwolf Ghost. Been with him since the very beginning of series, the last direwolf remaining with its recipient, stayed around through countless expeditions, battles, survived the initial doomed charge against the dead. Jon Snow is just like "Oh hey Tormund I don't want this thing anymore. You take it".

That pissed me off. Jon Snow truly is a bastard.

Also, when he's talking to Sam, and they're all "You're the best friend I ever had *hugs*" and then the shot flips over to Ghost who's standing right there, still bloody from the fight the night before, because Jon's such a dick that he didn't even bother to help clean him up before he went to get drunk, and Ghost is just looking at them like, "Dude. WTF?"

Go north with Tormund, Ghost. You're too good for Jon.

I want a spinoff series that's like Lassie, but with Tormund and Ghost.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I don't think Dany forgot about the iron fleet, she just didn't see it as a threat. In the strategy meeting they specifically mention the iron fleet being bigger but then say it isn't a problem because the dragons can wipe them out if they attack. They just didn't realize they had scorpions and the behind the cliff reveal was just D&D being hacks for dramatic twist with the audience.

just another posted:

They should set it during the time of the First Men so we can have all the early white walker drama, with Children of the Forest for magic, and the legendary heroes of yore so we can still have characters with familiar names like "Stark"

They are. The pilot starts shooting this summer. There are two other spinoffs that are still in the script phase but The Long Night is for sure getting a pilot.

Gianthogweed posted:

I don't know why Varys and Tyrion, the two "geniuses of politics" on the show, haven't thought of just changing the laws so that a king and queen could rule jointly as equals. Seems like a very simple thing to do, and it would be easy to convince both Dany and Jon that it's a good idea. But no, they have to have this falling out before even discussing that logical possibility so that there's a pointless civil war between them.

Did you watch the episode? They specifically discuss this and come to the conclusion Dany would never be able to share power like that. It fits in with her show personality imo.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 6, 2019

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Leviathan posted:

the only good scene in the entire episode was the part where bronn showed up for like 30 seconds

I liked Sansa pinning the Stark letter opener or whatever on Theon. And gently caress it, Jaime and Brienne made me happy.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I love how Varys is the big intelligence guy but he had no idea the Lannisters have strapped hundreds of huge gently caress-off dragon killers to ships and the towers of Kings Landing.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Gianthogweed posted:

Didn’t they say something like that but it was handwaved off with “Dany will refuse that”

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

D-Pad posted:

They are. The pilot starts shooting this summer. There are two other spinoffs that are still in the script phase but The Long Night is for sure getting a pilot.

Don't know how they can make that interesting when you know the plotline ends with the Night King getting shanked by a tiny girl while never actually fighting anyone.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I love how Varys is the big intelligence guy but he had no idea the Lannisters have strapped hundreds of huge gently caress-off dragon killers to ships and the towers of Kings Landing.

Also, every other decision he or anyone else has made, and also all the things they say and do

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Taear posted:

It's interesting to me that Syrio wasn't as big of a thing to people in the show whereas with the books people loving LOVED him and were convinced he'd be back.

show watchers absolutely loved syrio forel, what are you talking about?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Don't know how they can make that interesting when you know the plotline ends with the Night King getting shanked by a tiny girl while never actually fighting anyone.

I mean it's the age of heros. There are a ton of interesting stories. Plus I don't think we know how the night King is defeated the first time. Did he get destroyed and he regenerates? Lots of interesting ways they could go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

D-Pad posted:

I don't think Dany forgot about the iron fleet, she just didn't see it as a threat. In the strategy meeting they specifically mention the iron fleet being bigger but then say it isn't a problem because the dragons can wipe them out if they attack. They just didn't realize they had scorpions and the behind the cliff reveal was just D&D being hacks for dramatic twist with the audience.

Did you watch the episode? They specifically discuss this and come to the conclusion Dany would never be able to share power like that. It fits in with her show personality imo.

None of this poo poo actually happened though. What the writers say 'happened' in a work of fiction is what actually 'happened' and the writers said she just plain forgot