Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Hand Knit posted:

Ah you were also watching the Raptors game.
:)

I guess they’re copying the LPC strategy of buying up playoff ad space. It worked for the Liberals in the last election with the Jays’ run but that was well into the election. Even if the Raptors go all the way that’s only a few more weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Hang ‘em high and keep the blade sharp, Helsing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The Toronto Sun, resolutely without a sense of irony.
https://twitter.com/MikeBeauvais/status/1125366734788145152
https://twitter.com/MikeBeauvais/status/1125368264773730309

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

The Toronto Sun, resolutely without a sense of irony.

Uh if you read the article, you can clearly see that they looked at both sides

quote:

You don’t need to look far to see how leftist violence can easily erupt. Whether it’s assaults from Antifa or what is happening on the streets of Venezuela, there are those who feel that violence is acceptable so long as it is advancing a progressive cause.

The left side of the political spectrum is of course not the only one that can use violent rhetoric from time to time.

Some Canadian voters who are deeply frustrated with the disappointing leadership of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau have been using inappropriate language online and in public spaces.

None of this is OK. It all has to stop.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Radical leftist violence is boiling over, also inappropriate language is sometimes used to criticize the Prime Minister

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Just LOL if you're still holding on to the idea that violence from the left isn't necessary for survival let alone progress.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

R. Guyovich posted:

hello canpol. please give a warm welcome to your new thread ik, helsing

Apt.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Helsing would make a good D&D mod. I mean that as no insult to Helsing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Helsing would make a good D&D mod. I mean that as no insult to Helsing.

this, but I mean it as an insult to Helsing

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Becoming a mod would undo all the posting he would do, he would instead write essays for probates and papers for ban comments.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Beats scrolling past giant images

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Best wishes to our new IK

Medieval 30-something: father of 6, survived cholera and two crusades.
Modern 30 something: working two jobs, struggles to pay rent and bus pass.
Both would appreciate it if their leaders just loving left Muslims alone already.

Climate what? Oil companies reassure their stockholders that a liberal victory or a conservative victory won’t change anything to their bottom lines.

Quebec looks into expanding gammon exports to France after that French far right finds Mathieu Bock-Côté to their taste.

“Quebec whiteness scale”

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never been on a flight where people loving clapped on landing. I could get that if it was like an emergency landing or the weather was crazy with the plane landing sideways in a crosswind, but just a normal ol' landing???

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I've never been on a flight where people loving clapped on landing. I could get that if it was like an emergency landing or the weather was crazy with the plane landing sideways in a crosswind, but just a normal ol' landing???

The only time I remember it happening was when a party of drunk Icelanders were excited to see trees.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baronjutter posted:

I've definitely seen this on flights, I think it was WestJet but it could have been one of the American carriers. Regular rear end flights, nothing out of the ordinary.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

It usually happens when you have a bunch of drunk people arriving at either a party/homecoming destination. Not so much on the local short hauls.

However, even airplane clapping is less stupid than movie theater clapping at some random regular showing. Nobody who had *anything* to do with the movie can hear you!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

After every live theatrical presentation of any kind, it is legally required for everyone in Ottawa to immediately leap to their feet and clap for nine uninterrupted hours.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

flakeloaf posted:

After every live theatrical presentation of any kind, it is legally required for everyone in Ottawa to immediately leap to their feet and clap for nine uninterrupted hours.

Yeah this seems to be the norm everywhere these days. I've seen some dogshit live performances and they all got eventual peer-pressured standing ovations. So they've basically lost all meaning and are now the minimum level of post-show applause.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
All clapping is dumb because in any group 10% of the clappers are sincere and 90% are doing it because of peer pressure.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

cowofwar posted:

All clapping is dumb because in any group 10% of the clappers are sincere and 90% are doing it because of peer pressure.

The people who sincerely clap in time with a song can gently caress off. The people who sincerely clap in time with a song, but on odd-numbered beats, can gently caress off twice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nine of Eight posted:

Best wishes to our new IK

Medieval 30-something: father of 6, survived cholera and two crusades.
Modern 30 something: working two jobs, struggles to pay rent and bus pass.
Both would appreciate it if their leaders just loving left Muslims alone already.

I demand that we change the English spelling of Muslims to Musulmans/Musclemans.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

There are some cultures where clapping for a landed aircraft is commonplace. Some Caribbean countries for sure. I like it. Thanks pilot for not killing us all and thanks modern science for creating something that would have been as mysterious and magical 200 years ago as it is ubiquitous today. Perspective!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

I demand that we change the English spelling of Muslims to Musulmans/Musclemans.

We spelled it like that originally, and then we stopped.

e: NOW THE ONLY THING THAT GIIIVES ME HOOPE

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 6, 2019

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Clapping for a landing is at least somewhat justifiable by the fact that the pilot is right there. It's like thanking your bus driver as you get off, I guess? Like it's definitely dumb but I can understand it.

What actually kills my soul is when people clap after a loving movie. Buddy, Tony Stark can't hear you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

We need to tone down the rhetoric, and also suss out suspected commies and execute them in the streets.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stickarts posted:

There are some cultures where clapping for a landed aircraft is commonplace. Some Caribbean countries for sure. I like it. Thanks pilot for not killing us all and thanks modern science for creating something that would have been as mysterious and magical 200 years ago as it is ubiquitous today. Perspective!

White people love clapping so much we should make clapping after getting vaccinated a thing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I only clap when Albert Einstein does something amazing like owning a college professor.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I don't clap, I only boo.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I don't clap, I only boo.

I boo-urns

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I always thanked the bus driver

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Jeb! really would have flourished in Canada.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Helsing posted:

Jeb! really would have flourished in Canada.

We should see if he'd be interested in leading the CPC, he is a much more charismatic, energetic figure than Mr. Scheer. The ! connotes energy!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I have faith that Scheer will have his very own "Please clap" moment.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

I have faith that Scheer will have his very own "Please clap" moment.

Doubtful. All he needs to do is appear minimally competent and even a bit relatable and he's golden, because unlike Jeb! in the primaries, the only people he has to win over are cold, calculating assholes who care deeply about the value of their investment portfolios. Trudeau no longer appears to be a safe choice for a lot of those people, and Trudeau's general aura of uselessness has likely depressed the enthusiasm that played so thoroughly to his advantage the first time around. I think there is a strong chance that Scheer comes away with a minority government, and I doubt there's much that he or anyone else could do to significantly shift his chances in either direction.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Yeah, upon reflection, I think Michael Ignatieff was our Jeb!

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Have you guys signed the GND Pact yet?
https://greennewdealcanada.ca

Because if the US can turn a profit and get univeral health care plus a jobs guarantee, I don't see how a Canadian plan wouldn't be beneficial. And as was argued ITT, it would cost more to do nothing.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

So as guyovich mentioned earlier today this thread now has its very own idiot king, yours truly. Whether that means a change from the status quo or a continuation of how this thread has been running up until now is mostly up to you guys. If anyone does have any thoughts on how this thread could be improved or if there's anything about the thread that currently works really well and that people want to maintain or see more of then now would be a great time to speak up.

Current issues I would love to hear people's thoughts on:

--There are currently two Canada focused threads. Not everyone thinks the debt thread warrants its own thread. How do people here feel about it? Is it worthwhile to keep two parallel threads or is it possible we'd have more to talk about here if we merged the two discussions?

--Mental health issues. I think the ChairMaster drama was a timely reminder that mental health is a serious issue that touches us all, and the energy we project into threads like this one does have implications for our collective mental health. Is that a problem that is worth trying to address? Should we strive to include more positive content in the thread or is that just a waste of time in our broken hellworld? Does it make sense to aim for a balance of positive and negative discussion / news or is that goal just inherently vacuous?

--(Lack of) Politics chat. Sometimes this thread feels more like the all purpose Canada chat thread rather than the Canadian politics thread. Maybe that's ok though. Do people want to try and encourage more regular discussion of politics and if so does anyone have any ideas on how we could encourage that kind of discussion?

If nobody speaks up on any of these issues then I'll take that as an implicit endorsement of the status quo and try to act accordingly. If anyone does want to propose any changes or has any suggestions regarding how this thread could be improved then please say so here or shoot me a PM.

D&D is kind of in a weird place right now where different people want very different things from the mod team. Personally I think the only viable fix is to try and engage the larger user base and encourage people to more actively discuss the kind of forums they want. If you're like me and you spend an embarrassing amount of free time browsing here then you might as well take a moment to actually ask yourself what kind of online space you want to be spending your time in.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Helsing posted:

--(Lack of) Politics chat. Sometimes this thread feels more like the all purpose Canada chat thread rather than the Canadian politics thread. Maybe that's ok though. Do people want to try and encourage more regular discussion of politics and if so does anyone have any ideas on how we could encourage that kind of discussion?

There's already a thread specifically for chat, just encourage people to use it more instead of derailing this one

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Helsing posted:

So as guyovich mentioned earlier today this thread now has its very own idiot king, yours truly. Whether that means a change from the status quo or a continuation of how this thread has been running up until now is mostly up to you guys. If anyone does have any thoughts on how this thread could be improved or if there's anything about the thread that currently works really well and that people want to maintain or see more of then now would be a great time to speak up.

Current issues I would love to hear people's thoughts on:

--There are currently two Canada focused threads. Not everyone thinks the debt thread warrants its own thread. How do people here feel about it? Is it worthwhile to keep two parallel threads or is it possible we'd have more to talk about here if we merged the two discussions?

--Mental health issues. I think the ChairMaster drama was a timely reminder that mental health is a serious issue that touches us all, and the energy we project into threads like this one does have implications for our collective mental health. Is that a problem that is worth trying to address? Should we strive to include more positive content in the thread or is that just a waste of time in our broken hellworld? Does it make sense to aim for a balance of positive and negative discussion / news or is that goal just inherently vacuous?

If nobody speaks up on any of these issues then I'll take that as an implicit endorsement of the status quo and try to act accordingly. If anyone does want to propose any changes or has any suggestions regarding how this thread could be improved then please say so here or shoot me a PM.

D&D is kind of in a weird place right now where different people want very different things from the mod team. Personally I think the only viable fix is to try and engage the larger user base and encourage people to more actively discuss the kind of forums they want. If you're like me and you spend an embarrassing amount of free time browsing here then you might as well take a moment to actually ask yourself what kind of online space you want to be spending your time in.

I think that any kind of content-based discussion is good and pages of posts with no externally sourced content is indicative of a boring navel gazing circlejerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Helsing posted:

Trying to balance good and bad news seems like a fools errand and anyone that posts here at all is going to see through any attempts to try and change the tone of our hellish new political landscape.