Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
not sure if you guys have looked at the multitrack vids for that album but there are a hysterical number of tracks including something like 24 tracks of rhythm guitars, quad tracked. fred is a fuckin maniac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oh man I’ll have to track that down.

kjetting posted:

That last album (Violent sleep of reason) seems like a giant troll towards all their terrible imitators. Sure, Meshuggah pioneered the recording techniques all the lovely djent bands use, with software guitar sound and preprogrammed drums, but this album was like "but we can still perform and record this poo poo live with tube amps and real drums, because we're awesome".

I've seen them live at least three or four times. While they are incredibly technical in their polyrhythmic sound, and many of the guitar riffs are mostly about picking a single deeeeeeep note in time with the bass drum runs, they are also incredibly groovy and organic. I could watch videos of Haake playing for hours. He's like Dave Lombaro, plays advanced metal and is so on time you could use him to calibrate your metronome, but still plays organic and punchy like a punk rock drummer.

This post makes me happy. Meshuggah rules. I totally agree with your point about the production being very deliberate. It’s amazing how awful so many of the imitators sound too. Subjectivity of course but man so many of them sound incompetent in comparison. Even though I’m not necessarily a fan of their production approach at least Periphery sounds great nowadays.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I might have posted this at some point in the ancient past, but, here, have some raw stupid:

(it's definitely a D7)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Jesus, I don't listen to Meshuggah but is their music completely grooveless and overdone?

It works when they do it because the drums do all the heavy lifting and the guitars just keep looping the same thing until it becomes hypnotic. Master of Puppets is all about fantic changes so it doesn't work sounds like a crashing mess.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's the thing about Meshuggah: They do one thing. But they do that one thing extremely well. But the funny thing is that, when they sorta try to step out of the comfort zone and do something more straight-forward rocking, they can do that too.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
their first album is kinda interesting as part of the short-lived early 90s post-thrash thing along with coroner and grip inc

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LUBRE0dIQY

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Concatenation posted:

not sure if you guys have looked at the multitrack vids for that album but there are a hysterical number of tracks including something like 24 tracks of rhythm guitars, quad tracked. fred is a fuckin maniac

Recording 24 tracks, hell even half that, for pretty much any single instrument and not making it sound like a jumbled mess is inhuman. I've quad-tracked guitar parts before and even then if you're not absolutely millisecond-precise, it washes out pretty quick.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 6, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dpk2Hg-19Y

Living in this world is exhausting

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

jesus christ

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

wow that is potent stuff wow

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
what why

why

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i thought you guys were being harsh because i thought the idea was interesting, but then i watched the video and it's like they tried to come up with the most boring execution of that idea possible

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

tag yourself I'm the existential dread that is the realization you are singing about being 23 when you're *checks notes* 47?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
50 is the new 20

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

three unconnected thoughts from that mess:

the sunglasses make the guitarist look its a rehersal where hes too hungover to sing the harmonies.

investigating it theyre doing a full tour with lil wayne it seems

what is the point of mash ups where the two originating songs have nothing in common lyrically, thematically or musically apart from being within 20bpm of each other? You're just playing two totally unrelated songs at the same time. Lyrically it comes off like like the narrator rung up his crush, started rapping 'a milli' down the phone at her and then thats when she hung up on him?

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 6, 2019

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Every time the replacement guitarist gets brought up I feel compelled to tell the story that he used to call into a weekly radio show on WFMU called The Best Show with Tom Scharpling and he let it be known that he played for a major band but didn't want to say which one because he was deeply embarrassed by it (he did eventually say his name is Matt Skiba and he played for Blink-182). Each time he'd call he would make some reference to how it was a great paycheck but he felt shame.

So just in case you wondered if what you felt was true was actually true? It's true!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreatGreen posted:

Recording 24 tracks, hell even half that, for pretty much any single instrument and not making it sound like a jumbled mess is inhuman. I've quad-tracked guitar parts before and even then if you're not absolutely millisecond-precise, it washes out pretty quick.

There's no way, that has to be reamping and not a completely new take per track.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wark Say posted:

That's the thing about Meshuggah: They do one thing. But they do that one thing extremely well. But the funny thing is that, when they sorta try to step out of the comfort zone and do something more straight-forward rocking, they can do that too.

I wonder if a Meshuggah cover album would be terrible or awesome. Like them playing Master of Puppets or Killed by Death and stuff, either straight or djentrified.

Dillinger Escape Plan did a couple of straight covers which didn’t really work as I remember though.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Man, Mark Hoppus or whatever his name is looks so tired.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Must be all those mom's he's banging

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

BonHair posted:

I wonder if a Meshuggah cover album would be terrible or awesome. Like them playing Master of Puppets or Killed by Death and stuff, either straight or djentrified.

Dillinger Escape Plan did a couple of straight covers which didn’t really work as I remember though.

Contradictions Collapse, None, and Destroy Erase Improve were still pretty prog-thrashy, like ...And Justice for All with more polyrhythms. They didn't really dig into the slower tempos til Chaosphere. They're perfectly capable of straight covers, but I'm not sure I'd even want to hear versions of "normal" metal all djented up.

That's not to say that there's no reason they couldn't rearrange things to be more Meshuggah-y. Metallica does that poo poo all the time with covers.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's no way, that has to be reamping and not a completely new take per track.

yeah it's just quad tracked through a few different amps and not bussed down

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

There's plugins for that.

On which note, old man yells at DAW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFaRIW-wZlw

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that video's pretty funny when he starts screwing around with the tracks and rearranging parts

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Siivola posted:

The amusing part is that Nickelback's "Rock Star" is specifically engineered to be obvious. That snare sound alone.

It's literally the only Nickelback song I'll ever defend, because it's the most broken-clocks song they've ever done.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

rickiep00h posted:

The amusing part is that Nickelback's "Rock Star" is specifically engineered to be obvious. That snare sound alone.

It's literally the only Nickelback song I'll ever defend, because it's the most broken-clocks song they've ever done.

Nickelback are fine. They stay in their lane, which is stadium cock-rock for dudes from flyover provinces who drive lifted trucks, and that's OK with me. I actually kind of dig Burn It To The Ground, honestly.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

rickiep00h posted:

nickleback themselves aren't terrible but if someone says they're a super big nickleback fan there's an issue

it's like responding to a question about your favorite food with "oh, unseasoned roast chicken, by far"

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dewgy posted:

nickleback themselves aren't terrible but if someone says they're a super big nickleback fan there's an issue

it's like responding to a question about your favorite food with "oh, unseasoned roast chicken, by far"

Yeah, any time I hear somebody answer the "what bands do you like" question with "Nickleback," I just assume music, like as a concept in general, is simply something they don't care about.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 6, 2019

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Spanish Manlove posted:

yeah I meant four seperate performances through six different amps. guess he really, really enjoys phase aligning things

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Concatenation posted:

yeah I meant four seperate performances through six different amps. guess he really, really enjoys phase aligning things

That can be done automatically with a plugin.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Every time the replacement guitarist gets brought up I feel compelled to tell the story that he used to call into a weekly radio show on WFMU called The Best Show with Tom Scharpling and he let it be known that he played for a major band but didn't want to say which one because he was deeply embarrassed by it (he did eventually say his name is Matt Skiba and he played for Blink-182). Each time he'd call he would make some reference to how it was a great paycheck but he felt shame.

So just in case you wondered if what you felt was true was actually true? It's true!

I mean, he's also frontman of well-regarded and popular band Alkaline Trio, I can't imagine things are so bad for him. It rules that he called into Best Show though, I hadn't heard about that.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

gently caress Your Website posted:

That can be done automatically with a plugin.

yeah I'm familiar with Auto Align but sometimes if you're room miking guitars I've found that exact alignment can really kill off the vibe and is better done by ear

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Concatenation posted:

yeah I'm familiar with Auto Align but sometimes if you're room miking guitars I've found that exact alignment can really kill off the vibe and is better done by ear

you never 100% grid align, you always slightly gently caress it up by mashing the standard error randomize timing/intensity button aka the humanize feature.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I only somewhat understand what you guys are talking about (mics and phase cancellation times many tracks I think I am in the ballpark at least) but wow this really does seem to be stupid music poo poo.

At what point do diminishing returns become a reason to just not bother? Four tracks, or?

Sounds dumb anyway except as a gimmick.

This has been a Faust really doesn't get it post. :)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Siivola posted:

I'm kind of annoyed at this because if you follow through all the production youtube masterclass uber producer make money money do this and they all tell you to use the swing knob so your music doesn't sound like a loving robot.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Dr. Faustus posted:

I only somewhat understand what you guys are talking about (mics and phase cancellation times many tracks I think I am in the ballpark at least) but wow this really does seem to be stupid music poo poo.

At what point do diminishing returns become a reason to just not bother? Four tracks, or?

It’s really pretty simple when considered in context of a drum kit: sound moves through air at a certain relatively slow speed and the sound hits the mics at different times depending on how far from the source each mic is, producing a waveform you can see if you zoom in enough on a DAW. The phase is just the waveform of the sound and if they are all out of whack the resulting sound is less powerful than if all the mics are in phase together.

I do it manually myself but autoalign sounds like a great tool to speed workflow in many circumstances.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Dr. Faustus posted:

Any time I've heard about people laying down dozens of guitar parts manually it's usually because of depression or some temporary mental distress. Hetfield, Corgan, The Edge, etc. They just hole up in the studio and obsessively play the same part. Sometimes it's "tone chasing" but I assume that is also some kind of disturbance.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

you never 100% grid align, you always slightly gently caress it up by mashing the standard error randomize timing/intensity button aka the humanize feature.

ah yeah you're talking about editing say, guitar transients or whatever on which I completely agree to not grid everything.

I'm talking about phase aligning different guitar cab mics which is something that can be fiddly but is really important to get right and consistent across different performances.

Dr. Faustus posted:

yeah quad tracking is best on certain genres that need really phat guitars and depend entirely on whether your guitarist is good enough to pull it off or whether you're willing to sit there editing everything by hand, i personally feel life is too short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

gently caress Your Website posted:

It’s really pretty simple when considered in context of a drum kit: sound moves through air at a certain relatively slow speed and the sound hits the mics at different times depending on how far from the source each mic is, producing a waveform you can see if you zoom in enough on a DAW. The phase is just the waveform of the sound and if they are all out of whack the resulting sound is less powerful than if all the mics are in phase together.

I do it manually myself but autoalign sounds like a great tool to speed workflow in many circumstances.
Well ok yes in terms of a drum kit that makes sense. It's this part:

rickiep00h posted:

Any time I've heard about people laying down dozens of guitar parts manually it's usually because of depression or some temporary mental distress. Hetfield, Corgan, The Edge, etc. They just hole up in the studio and obsessively play the same part. Sometimes it's "tone chasing" but I assume that is also some kind of disturbance.
I won't bore you with the stories I heard and told growing up about the guys who totally made this amazing demo in the studio by triple-tracking an 8" combo amp because somehow the engineer said they couldn't get a tonez out of the guy's Marshall half-stack. Trust me, there was a lot of that. A LOT.