Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Hilarius
May 3, 2007

Hey gang, can I promote my iOS app Big Hike for a minute? When I hiked the PCT there was an app called Halfmile that was so awesome it inspired me to make a similar app for the AT. Basically, it gets your location and reports your distance to thousands of waypoints in real time. Some of the trails it works for: the AT, the BMT, the Long Trail, Art Loeb Trail, Pinhoti, and lots of others. You can also make public comments on waypoints, which sync to other devices and the website, https://www.bighike.net

I’ve always hoped to make it a more collaborative project, so if you have any comments, suggestions, or experience with digital mapping email me at bighikeapp@gmail.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

Yooper posted:

Yup, that answers it. I'd hoped that I was missing something but the selection is just that limited. The reviews really slam the durability so I was hoping to find a better option. Hopefully he outgrows them before they fall apart.

Yeah typically I find that’s the case. I buy them around now and they’re usually out of them or have them torn up by August.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Pope Hilarius posted:

Hey gang, can I promote my iOS app Big Hike for a minute? When I hiked the PCT there was an app called Halfmile that was so awesome it inspired me to make a similar app for the AT. Basically, it gets your location and reports your distance to thousands of waypoints in real time. Some of the trails it works for: the AT, the BMT, the Long Trail, Art Loeb Trail, Pinhoti, and lots of others. You can also make public comments on waypoints, which sync to other devices and the website, https://www.bighike.net

I’ve always hoped to make it a more collaborative project, so if you have any comments, suggestions, or experience with digital mapping email me at bighikeapp@gmail.com

Oh poo poo you made big hike? I used that as my poor mans guthooks when I did the AT. Great work

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Pope Hilarius posted:

I just gave it a download. I was just hiking the AT this weekend (Hot Springs area). The only thing I keep getting an application error when I try to bring the website up on my phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The website has an SSL problem, it's listening on the https port but not actually serving a certificate.

Oopsie!

If you make sure to visit http://www.bighike.net/t/at it seems to work.

Pope Hilarius
May 3, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

Oh poo poo you made big hike? I used that as my poor mans guthooks when I did the AT. Great work

Haha, I'll take it. Guthook didn't break commenting in his app for half a year, so he has that going for him. Did you use any other guides?

Thanks for the heads up about the website. I'm not sure I've seen your problem before, did the app fully crash? I should probably just make an SSL cert.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.
Does anyone have any hike recommendations for the Scottish highlands? I am going to a conference in Glasgow in July and I am planning a 5-day hiking-oriented road trip afterward. I have already been to Skye so I don't plan to go there this time.

I have Cairgorms, Glencoe area + Ben Nevis, and Knoydart Peninsula on my list of potential stops, but I would love some recommendations for specific hikes in those places (and other places). Can really be anywhere in the highlands.

As an incentive, if I get any good suggestions I will post a write-up and some pictures from my W trek in December!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hey thread! Going on a short trip with my buddy and our dogs next weekend, and we’ll need to purify water. I have a pump filter, but I haven’t used it in years. How long do these things usually last in storage? It’s been stored at relatively the same temperature (maybe around 70-75 degrees) and hasn’t been exposed to light.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Hey thread! Going on a short trip with my buddy and our dogs next weekend, and we’ll need to purify water. I have a pump filter, but I haven’t used it in years. How long do these things usually last in storage? It’s been stored at relatively the same temperature (maybe around 70-75 degrees) and hasn’t been exposed to light.

If you cleaned and dried it properly before storing, from what I've read the filters don't really have a shelf life. Obviously heat and cold and contaminants can get in there and do damage over time if you let them. If it were me, I'd pump some dilute bleach solution and then tap water through it before taking it out and maybe consider bringing some drops for backup.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Oakland Martini posted:

Does anyone have any hike recommendations for the Scottish highlands? I am going to a conference in Glasgow in July and I am planning a 5-day hiking-oriented road trip afterward. I have already been to Skye so I don't plan to go there this time.

I have Cairgorms, Glencoe area + Ben Nevis, and Knoydart Peninsula on my list of potential stops, but I would love some recommendations for specific hikes in those places (and other places). Can really be anywhere in the highlands.

As an incentive, if I get any good suggestions I will post a write-up and some pictures from my W trek in December!

If you do want to do Ben Nevis, do it via the CMD arete route, it's waay more interesting than the regular track up which is long and dull. Here's a good primer for it. Also this same website is very, very useful for any walks you plan to do. It's a great resource.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/carnmordeargarete.shtml

If you like sustained exposure and incredible views and ridge walks, there's always the Aonach Eagach in Glencoe. It's a big deal though so only do it if you're ok with heights and like that kind of thrill, and also only do it if the weather is perfect.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/aonacheagach.shtml

One of the first Munros I climbed is also one of my favourites, Ben Cruachan. It's got a hydroelectric dam halfway up and it's a cool walk.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/munros/ben-cruachan

I haven't been to the Cairngorms yet but I've heard nothing but good things about the place.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Alternatively go to Walmart and buy a Sawyer Squeeze for ~$30 and never look back. Lighter and faster than any pump.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Chard posted:

If you cleaned and dried it properly before storing, from what I've read the filters don't really have a shelf life. Obviously heat and cold and contaminants can get in there and do damage over time if you let them. If it were me, I'd pump some dilute bleach solution and then tap water through it before taking it out and maybe consider bringing some drops for backup.

I've heard the opposite of bleach: Use an acid, like white vinegar or citric acid solution. It clears calcium deposits out of the filter that may have dried in there while stored, and has the same antibacterial effect as bleach.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My platypus gravityworks filter has been running fine (or at least my guts haven't blown out yet) for the better part of 6+ years. I'm probably about due for a replacement soon but so long as you dont let it freeze and you rinse it out and let it dry after use you should be good. Personally I would feel much better maybe running some vinegar vs bleach through it but thats just me.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

khysanth posted:

Alternatively go to Walmart and buy a Sawyer Squeeze for ~$30 and never look back. Lighter and faster than any pump.

Our squeeze has faithfully kept us hydrated on many trips. It’s a nice bullet proof system.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Does anybody know of any great multi day hikes in the interior of BC, particularly in the Monashee range? I've been looking at the Mark Berger traverse, which looks super cool but doesn't have a lot of info floating around on it. I've also looked at climbing Mt. Fosthall. My buddy and I do a 3-5 day trip every summer, but we decided to stay close to home this year.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

khysanth posted:

This is the real answer. Their included cleaning guides are where I am getting the 'capfull of bleach into a pouch of water' advice btw, definitely read the manual for your gear to be sure this won't hurt it. They also advise using vinegar to clear mineral buildup.

https://sawyer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/sawyer_bucket-cleaning_2016-01-15e.pdf

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'll vouch for the Sawyer squeeze too. Don't skimp and get the mini because it's smaller and cheaper; it's painfully slow and hard to use and not worth it. Plus the squeeze comes with two large bags with caps for more capacity.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Bottom Liner posted:

I'll vouch for the Sawyer squeeze too. Don't skimp and get the mini because it's smaller and cheaper; it's painfully slow and hard to use and not worth it. Plus the squeeze comes with two large bags with caps for more capacity.

Yeah the mini is terrible, it takes almost half an hour to fill two Nalgenes.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

talktapes posted:

Yeah the mini is terrible, it takes almost half an hour to fill two Nalgenes.

Are these Sawyers a good alternative to a PUR Hiker for a group of 4? Will one do the job or is it not as fast? I can see this for solo trips but do thy handle volume well?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The mini was so bad for me that I abandoned it and drank unfiltered water for half the AT. The risk was worth it after having to deal with that bullshit.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The Sawyer Squeeze can get you 2L of water in a few minutes, so with a group of four it would make sense to carry two of them (easier to divide into groups during the day, backup filter, etc). The biggest problem is that you need to be able to fill dirty water bags, which works best in a flowing stream or waterfall. Dunking a bag in a lake is more difficult because you have to play games to prevent the bag from collapsing and to get the air out. On the plus side you can carry extra dirty water to filter later because you have the bags.

A regular filter or gravity filter will probably handle large volume or weird conditions more consistently. You only have to drop in a hose, much easier, you might find the pump handle easier to use (your hands will stay dry, so this helps in colder weather), and they should have overall better flow. You generally have more choices for filter type, extra charcoal layers, better viral protection, etc.

The Squeeze has an awesome price point, is the right size and weight, it "just works", is actually fun to use. If you need to stock 8L of water once a day it won't be fun; use a pump filter. If you need 12L at your base camp, use a gravity filter.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

The Sawyer Squeeze can get you 2L of water in a few minutes, so with a group of four it would make sense to carry two of them (easier to divide into groups during the day, backup filter, etc). The biggest problem is that you need to be able to fill dirty water bags, which works best in a flowing stream or waterfall. Dunking a bag in a lake is more difficult because you have to play games to prevent the bag from collapsing and to get the air out. On the plus side you can carry extra dirty water to filter later because you have the bags.

A regular filter or gravity filter will probably handle large volume or weird conditions more consistently. You only have to drop in a hose, much easier, you might find the pump handle easier to use (your hands will stay dry, so this helps in colder weather), and they should have overall better flow. You generally have more choices for filter type, extra charcoal layers, better viral protection, etc.

The Squeeze has an awesome price point, is the right size and weight, it "just works", is actually fun to use. If you need to stock 8L of water once a day it won't be fun; use a pump filter. If you need 12L at your base camp, use a gravity filter.

That’s about what I was thinking. I may have to pick one up for my solo but I’ll stick to the pump for the group stuff. Besides it’ll give me something to assign the boys to do.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

A small ziplock bag makes a great, super lightweight scooper to fill dirty water bags. I keep one wrapped around my Sawyer for those awkward fill spots.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

This is great advice, I’m going to have to try out a Sawyer for this trip. Thanks all!

Also, I’m taking my dog for his first night of camping. Any tips or things to consider? He’ll be on leash the entire time and I’ll be packing out all his poop.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

This is great advice, I’m going to have to try out a Sawyer for this trip. Thanks all!

Also, I’m taking my dog for his first night of camping. Any tips or things to consider? He’ll be on leash the entire time and I’ll be packing out all his poop.

Don't let him eat any poop. He'll puke it up in the tent and make your life miserable.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I would practice the night before in your yard or something before taking the big trip.

Our dog generally loves going with us but I learned that the thin walls of the tent means she hears EVERYTHING and wants to growl into the darkness.

Ultimately we fixed that by bringing a kennel with us when we car camp that seems to put her at ease and lets us sleep through the night.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Does anyone have a recommendation for a larger water filter? I'm a sawyer/aquamira man when backpacking but we want something a little more robust (and weight is less of an issue in a canoe).

I guess I was expecting more options, REI only sells the MSR MiniWorks EX and a few Katadyn models - nothing with much better than 3.75/5 reviews. Any opinions on that MSR or the Katadyn Hiker or something similar? Really surprised to see so few options here.

Doesn't need to be one of those big group behemoths, but we'll likely want to put 3L-4L at a time through it. I suppose one option is for each of us to carry a Sawyer since that's still basically the same price. I'll have Aquamira for an emergency/backup anyway.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 6, 2019

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

charity rereg posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a larger water filter? I'm a sawyer/aquamira man when backpacking but we want something a little more robust (and weight is less of an issue in a canoe).

I guess I was expecting more options, REI only sells the MSR MiniWorks EX and a few Katadyn models - nothing with much better than 3.75/5 reviews. Any opinions on that MSR or the Katadyn Hiker or something similar? Really surprised to see so few options here.

Doesn't need to be one of those big group behemoths, but we'll likely want to put 3L-4L at a time through it. I suppose one option is for each of us to carry a Sawyer since that's still basically the same price. I'll have Aquamira for an emergency/backup anyway.

I only got it last summer so haven't used it a ton, but I was really happy with my Platypus gravity filter. It's so nice just to fill the bag, hang it from a tree, and go about your time in camp. Check back in 10 minutes for a couple liters (or whatever, can't recall the size) of clean water. Repeat as needed.

It's not super fast or easy to use on the go, but for a camp solution it's almost zero effort filtered water.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The MiniWorks does the job and makes good tasting water but, like most stuff in this category, they underestimate the pumping needed to get a liter. Once a layer of filtered scum builds up the throughput goes way down and you're gonna get tired cramming 4L through it. Or you can pause every couple liters to scrub the filter.

Not a huge fan of the form factor, it's fine if you wrap it in something soft but it seems like it'd be vulnerable to breaking the pump arm if it gets stuffed too rough into a bag. I've never managed it but it's always there in the back of my head. It's also a huge hassle to use if whatever you're pumping in to doesn't fit the threads on the output.

But I use it anyways because we paid the money and I'm too cheap to give up on it. And the results are worth it, I guess. :v:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Yeah I guess the MiniWorks is a fully ceramic filter which means it's much less porous and needs to be field-cleaned much more often. I'm just surprised at how few options there are here, and how little space between $75 and ok and $350 and good there is.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

charity rereg posted:

I use a platypus gravity works system and its the best that I've used. I have the 4 liter kit because it was the first one they came out with. Most all water bladders/filters use the same size hose so its pretty easy to mix/match with these. I usually only carry the dirty bag/hose/filter now and just plug my hydration bladder into the clean side. I really like Platypus bladders because of the plastic they use for their bags. It seems much more sturdy and robust than camelback/osprey which use a really soft plastic which I've had trouble with mold in the past. When I hike with a group, I'll bring the clean bag. You can essentially have 4 liters of clean water at camp (plus all your hydration packs) and 4 liters of dirty water waiting to be filtered. It works great for groups and requires no pumping or moving parts. You need to occassionally backflush the filter but thats easy and takes a few seconds.

https://www.rei.com/product/849794/platypus-gravityworks-water-filter-system-kit-2-liter
https://www.rei.com/product/866422/platypus-gravityworks-water-filter-system-4-liter

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 6, 2019

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Finished my 2nd Cactus to Clouds hike this past weekend. The first part of the hike up to Long Valley was easier for me this year because I've been doing a lot of leg strength training, but the second part from the valley to the summit involved mostly snow travel that slowed us down. Last year it was bone dry by May.

My final stats were:

21.2 miles
11,181' vertical gain
37:43 min/mile average
1 very long day

Started at 2am with a 25lb pack (overnight gear, 5L water, 4,000 calories food). The hike should only really be attempted in the early spring/late fall due to temps. There are some awful horror stories about people dying on this hike.

Pics:

https://imgur.com/a/Jrxetrt

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So far, so good with the Altra Lone Peaks. Paired with toe socks and a band-aid blister thing on my little toes I've had zero issues the last 2 hikes. They were both shorter hikes, but I get blisters on those as well as longer ones, so it's a good start!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

fknlo posted:

So far, so good with the Altra Lone Peaks. Paired with toe socks and a band-aid blister thing on my little toes I've had zero issues the last 2 hikes. They were both shorter hikes, but I get blisters on those as well as longer ones, so it's a good start!

That's my exact footwear combo. Zero blisters since I made the switch.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have questions about hydration and pee. I get minor headaches after most hikes. Lots of them I attribute to dehydration and can usually fix it with some water and good food. The thing that makes me curious is that sometimes I feel like I’m drinking and peeing too much. I have no medical conditions, but last month I was on a hike on a cool day and wasn’t sweating much. I was still drinking plenty of water, which was making me pee about every 10 minutes or so, totally clear urine. Huge migraine level headache that night. It was terrible.

Is this more a nutrition thing? I doubt I’m simply drinking too much water, I won’t drink more than 3 liters and that’s if I’m hiking 6 hours. Am I losing too much electrolyte? I do snack on the trail but it’s usually peanut butter sandwiches. Should I pack something salty or some Gatorade on the side?

As a thank you in advance, here’s a picture I took hiking outside of Tucson today. It was a short one in the heat so no headache today.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Migraines are tough because people have a lot of different triggers. Peeing every 10 minutes sounds... Real bad?

I also get migraines and they can be brought on by hiking if I'm really pushing myself. In my day to day, and when I hike, I fare much better when I eat enough protein and try to stay away from consuming lots of sugars / processed carbs / alcohol.

What do you eat for breakfast before you go out? A peanut butter sandwich does not sound like enough to me.

2x hard boiled eggs in the morning, keeping something like beef jerky handy on the trails, keeps me in much better shape.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If you're drinking pure water you probably need to switch in some brawndoitsgotelectolytes. All that sweat means your body's salty humors are haunted and need chiropracty.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I only pee that much when I’m pretty into the hike and pounding water, but yeah I bet at my worst I’ve peed probably 4-6 times in an hour or so. I’m not really timing it.

The peanut butter sandwiches are usually just a trail snack, I’ll usually have 2-3 of those and a cliff bar or something to switch it up. Pre and post meals are much different. Mornings I usually make a good breakfast. Something like fried eggs, toast, some fruit and OJ. Post hike usually means whatever I’m craving, something like a huge burrito or burger.

Also I don’t really know what is and isn’t food pseudoscience so if saying electrolyte is dumb just assume I mean proper nutrition/vitamins/whatever.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

my shitposting tone is due to my own liquid intake tonight you definitely need salts and sugars in addition to water, even salty bars and snacks probably aren't enough in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Rolo posted:

Also I don’t really know what is and isn’t food pseudoscience so if saying electrolyte is dumb just assume I mean proper nutrition/vitamins/whatever.
Naw not dumb. Electrolyte balance and fluid balance are two sides of the same coin.