Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Comparing stick welding and flux-cored wire welding, I posit that the cleanup is easier with stick. You break off the spent flux and (if you're doing it right) you have a nice scalloped weld beneath it. Sometimes the flux just falls off on its own after it cools down. FCAW throws molten crap all over the project so you have to come back with a cup brush or something to get that all cleared away. It's like little beads of metal all over the area, and burned flux, ash, whatever that stuff is.

I don't do any of this for a living so this is firmly a home-gamer's point of view. Actual weldors with certifications would probably disagree with me on some of this. My equipment is the cheapest crap from Harbor Freight and my training was 6 weeks long from a metal art guy almost 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Note that none of the above should be done in a shop filled with sawdust.

Yes, absolutely, if I were going to go in on welding at large scale I'd probably have to build a second workshop. :v: But at this point I haven't even tried it at all, and if I did get started I'd probably start out using my garage first.

Thanks for the additional details. I very much doubt that I'll be in a position of caring about speed much anytime soon, so your recommendation of focusing on stick welding as a starting point seems reasonable. Assuming of course that I enjoy the course enough to want to get my own kit.

Incidentally, the main reason I'm looking into this is that I've been watching MichaelCthulhu videos on YouTube. Dude makes gigantic sword-shaped sculptures. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be learning any technique tricks from him (he used a table saw to make some wooden shims once and his cutting technique had me cringing), but from a general perspective of "working with metal looks like fun" he's a good source of inspiration.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Note that none of the above should be done in a shop filled with sawdust.

... or if wearing a sweater of any sort of fuzziness.

My friend went ablaze in our highschool welding class back in the day. I was learning to tig weld and out of the corner of my eye I saw a giant blue flame and before I knew it he was standing there shirtless and the smell of burning hair was heavy. It singed all of the hair off his torso and some of his eyebrows. Luckily he laughed it off.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

My Milwaukee M18 string trimmer kicks the poo poo out of every plug in trimmer I've ever had, and is easily on par with the gas ones I've used.
Home Depot has a deal on right now where you can pick up a Quik-Lok string trimmer and get another attachment (or an extra smaller battery) for free, if anyone's thinking about getting a Milwaukee trimmer.

Jaded Burnout posted:

also apparently square profile line cuts less cleanly but more powerfully than circle or oval profile so if you've got tough stuff to cut get square. Or so I read.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_q3_Dk8f_g

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I can do all my welding with an old DC inverter. TIG and stick does all I need. I do stick welding outside. A mobile setup is key.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Any experience here with Makita's 36 volt push mower? Just need it for a rather small hillside yard where the reel mowers don't jive with the wife'n'kids so getting spare batteries usable for my other tools out of the expenditure is tempting. Or would Ryobi's 18 volt push mower be okay for such light service to save some cash and get spare batteries out of it for my second line tools without overdrawing the batteries and fragging stems?

Speaking of Ryobi, recently picked up the 18 volt inflator/deflator with high volume line on one side and high pressure on the other. I've started inflating bicycle tires for the family and so far, so good. High volume hose is short and chintzy as the only immediate concern but it's not river tubing season quite yet to test it.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I have a 20v Dewalt Planer that I used to plane down some bowed deck joists last summer. In my carelessness, it accidentally made some light passes over some Grace Vycor adhesive flashing I put on top of the built up deck beams. I don't think any actually got into the blades, but the boot is all covered in black gunk. Is there any way to get this stuff off or did I basically ruin my planer? I'll post a picture later today.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Incidentally, the main reason I'm looking into this is that I've been watching MichaelCthulhu videos on YouTube. Dude makes gigantic sword-shaped sculptures. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be learning any technique tricks from him (he used a table saw to make some wooden shims once and his cutting technique had me cringing), but from a general perspective of "working with metal looks like fun" he's a good source of inspiration.

I'm very jealous of all the metalworking stuff Laura Kampf has, even if the way she uses an angle grinder makes me fear for my fingers sympathetically.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I do stick welding outside.

It's been a while since I did my research, am I right that that's feasible because there's no free-flowing gas that gets blown away by the wind?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm very jealous of all the metalworking stuff Laura Kampf has, even if the way she uses an angle grinder makes me fear for my fingers sympathetically.

It's been a while since I did my research, am I right that that's feasible because there's no free-flowing gas that gets blown away by the wind?
Yes, basically. Stick welding sticks are coated in flux that burns and makes a bit of a shielding gas, but also the flux coats the weld to protect it. If it’s super windy or you have a fan pointed right at the weld it can still cause some problems, but it’s not near as sensitive as MIG/TIG where you are trying to keep the weld coated in shielding gas out of a bottle.

Mr Executive posted:

I have a 20v Dewalt Planer that I used to plane down some bowed deck joists last summer. In my carelessness, it accidentally made some light passes over some Grace Vycor adhesive flashing I put on top of the built up deck beams. I don't think any actually got into the blades, but the boot is all covered in black gunk. Is there any way to get this stuff off or did I basically ruin my planer? I'll post a picture later today.
Try naphtha first, if that doesn’t work try acetone and/or lacquer thinner. It may take some scrubbing with a stiff brush. Simple green or something might work too. Also just scraping it off with a razor blade can probably get most of it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mr Executive posted:

goo gone is another option I've used to release that on windows

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

goo gone is another option I've used to release that on windows
Goo gone is basically kerosene/naphtha that has some lemon scent added to it so it doesn’t smell so bad and costs 8x as much but it will certainly work. I personally prefer the natural scent of petroleum distillates-the worse it smells the better it works, right?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Goo gone is basically kerosene/naphtha that has some lemon scent added to it so it doesn’t smell so bad and costs 8x as much but it will certainly work. I personally prefer the natural scent of petroleum distillates-the worse it smells the better it works, right?

I just looked at the ingredients I'm dumb and like to pay $$ for lemony fresh :)

Don't do what I told you do the other idea

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Are there good gel versions for when you need to remove adhesives from vertical surfaces like windows? Or just mix some kerosene into petroleum jelly or something? Sounds dangerously close to napalm at that point.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I just took some vinyl stickers off of auto glass the other day. Razor blade + heat gun to get most of it, WD40 to deal with the remainder. It doesn't need to be thick to hang around, it works quickly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Why would you use a solvent on a window? A razor blade scraper is so much easier.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

Why would you use a solvent on a window? A razor blade scraper is so much easier.

In my case the adhesive left behind was just getting smeared around by the blade. WD40 on a paper towel took care of it in 30 seconds.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

In my case the adhesive left behind was just getting smeared around by the blade. WD40 on a paper towel took care of it in 30 seconds.

I suppose if it's soft enough. WD40 does work well.

Also, a fresh blade. It's amazing how quickly they go dull. I always do my finish work with a fresh one (like removing inspection stickers).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Any experience here with Makita's 36 volt push mower? Just need it for a rather small hillside yard where the reel mowers don't jive with the wife'n'kids so getting spare batteries usable for my other tools out of the expenditure is tempting. Or would Ryobi's 18 volt push mower be okay for such light service to save some cash and get spare batteries out of it for my second line tools without overdrawing the batteries and fragging stems?

Speaking of Ryobi, recently picked up the 18 volt inflator/deflator with high volume line on one side and high pressure on the other. I've started inflating bicycle tires for the family and so far, so good. High volume hose is short and chintzy as the only immediate concern but it's not river tubing season quite yet to test it.

I have a hybrid ryobi, takes 2x18v batteries or a cord, it's fine, I'll never go back to gas or pure corded. Can't speak for the 18v version but for a tiny patch I'd consider it.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
What do you guys use to clean your dryer vents? Are those chintzy little rods that attach to drills in all the retail "kits" durable enough for many years of usage?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

nmfree posted:

Home Depot has a deal on right now where you can pick up a Quik-Lok string trimmer and get another attachment (or an extra smaller battery) for free, if anyone's thinking about getting a Milwaukee trimmer.

Looks like I'm making a trip to Home Depot.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

TheBananaKing posted:

What do you guys use to clean your dryer vents? Are those chintzy little rods that attach to drills in all the retail "kits" durable enough for many years of usage?

The one I helped one of my wifes friends use last year seemed like it would. It was able to clear a mostly clogged vent in conjunction with a shop vac taped to the outlet.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The one I helped one of my wifes friends use last year seemed like it would. It was able to clear a mostly clogged vent in conjunction with a shop vac taped to the outlet.

Or better yet, a leaf blower on the inside house side (disconnect any critter guards on the outside first.)

I have one of those brushes, and it works amazingly well. I have a fairly straight, horizontal shot of about 15-20 feet, so I don't know how well it would bend around tight corners. It seems plenty sturdy, and it was only like $15 on Amazon. I'm sure a company would come out and do it for hundreds of dollars, so even if it only lasts a few years, seems like a worthwhile purchase.

edit: Don't do laundry for a few days to let the lint get nice and dry/powdery. Trying to do it with clumpy, wet lint would probably be a pain.

B-Nasty fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 8, 2019

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

I have a hybrid ryobi, takes 2x18v batteries or a cord, it's fine, I'll never go back to gas or pure corded. Can't speak for the 18v version but for a tiny patch I'd consider it.

I thought Ryobi's dual-battery rig just drained them in sequence to extend run time? Does the hybrid run them in series?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

B-Nasty posted:

Or better yet, a leaf blower on the inside house side (disconnect any critter guards on the outside first.)

I have one of those brushes, and it works amazingly well. I have a fairly straight, horizontal shot of about 15-20 feet, so I don't know how well it would bend around tight corners. It seems plenty sturdy, and it was only like $15 on Amazon. I'm sure a company would come out and do it for hundreds of dollars, so even if it only lasts a few years, seems like a worthwhile purchase.

edit: Don't do laundry for a few days to let the lint get nice and dry/powdery. Trying to do it with clumpy, wet lint would probably be a pain.

We tried the leaf blower, but it ended up working best with the vac sucking while we worked the brush from the other end. It made it around two 90s, but it was a bit of work to get it to go.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose

B-Nasty posted:

This is not something that would have occurred to me before trying, thanks.

Seems like a no brainier for the price, but I hate buying cheap poo poo and having it break after the one or two uses.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Seconding the use of a leaf blower from the inside. I found a trail of lint 10 feet from the outlet when I looked outside. If you have a gas powered leaf blower it’s also a great way to very quickly determine if your carbon monoxide detectors are working (ask me how I know).

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I've always just used a shop vac to get as much as I can, but it's def not the most efficient with longer runs.

I recently moved my shop into the basement and my dust collector is near my dryer. Can anyone think of a reason not to attach it to the dust system once or twice a year to clean it all out?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

The import part of the question was not "windows" but "vertical".

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Very thorough, though the thing he missed is the thing I'm curious about. He did check whether there was a significant difference in how clean the cut was (no significant difference) but he didn't check which profiles were more effective against tougher grasses and such.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Butch Cassidy posted:

I thought Ryobi's dual-battery rig just drained them in sequence to extend run time? Does the hybrid run them in series?

When I'm done both batteries are part drained, always the same amount. I've never heard or read about using the batteries in sequence. I suppose they could be running in parallel for the same effect but all the dual battery kit I've seen is labeled One+36V, indicating they use the 18v One+ batteries but run at 36v.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I bought this dust extractor and I've been using it very effectively hooked up to a random orbital sander.

Only thing is, I'd like to keep using said sander in other rooms of the house while getting some decent dust extraction on my bench-top saws downstairs, and there's no way I can cart this thing up and down all the time. It's also incredibly loud.

Do you have any suggestions for relatively quiet and small dust extractors such as you might mount to a portable workbench? It would only need to be powerful enough to clear dust and chips from one fixed power tool at a time (table saw, mitre saw, router).

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

When I'm done both batteries are part drained, always the same amount. I've never heard or read about using the batteries in sequence. I suppose they could be running in parallel for the same effect but all the dual battery kit I've seen is labeled One+36V, indicating they use the 18v One+ batteries but run at 36v.

Probaly just the person describing theirs to me. I'd thought it odd and asked them if they meant to say the batteres were in parallel ut they persisted so there was amisunderstanding on some level.

Anyway, I'm currently leaning Ryobi to try out. Worst case, it doesn't work out, I get a couple extra batteries, and replace it with something else next season.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I got a drill/impact driver set of the Makita 18V sub-compacts from Big Orange to replace a tired set of Porter-Cable 20v tools and holy hell what an improvement it’s been. :stare: The impact driver, especially; what used to be an awkward long rattle-battle with a 2 3/4” screw through 2x’s is now a laughably quick zip with a few impacts.

I’m giving a recommendation without anyone asking, I know, but drat if these things aren’t nice.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ripoff posted:

The impact driver, especially; what used to be an awkward long rattle-battle with a 2 3/4” screw through 2x’s is now a laughably quick zip with a few impacts.

I’m giving a recommendation without anyone asking, I know, but drat if these things aren’t nice.

I've got the DeWalt version of that impact. Anyone doing pretty much anything looking like driving screws, especially through framing lumber, should have one of these things.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'll third that. Pull the trigger and just zip that thing through the wood, especially if you're using a screw head that doesn't cam out (torx, square, etc.). The only problem with them is that they're so good at driving that you may get lazy about drilling pilot holes and end up splitting the lumber. :v:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'll third that. Pull the trigger and just zip that thing through the wood, especially if you're using a screw head that doesn't cam out (torx, square, etc.). The only problem with them is that they're so good at driving that you may get lazy about drilling pilot holes and end up splitting the lumber. :v:
That's why you just use spax for everything.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I use the impact for drywall too. It's so much lighter and works so drat well.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I dont know why it took me so long to buy an impact but holy poo poo did it ever change my life.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I use the impact for drywall too. It's so much lighter and works so drat well.

You must be a mystical drywall god because I blow through the paper even with a proper screwgun setup.

I remember putting like 15 test screws in a scrap 2x4 and fresh drywall and tuning it just right, then *bam* straight through the paper on the first real screw. Drywall sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ripoff posted:

You must be a mystical drywall god because I blow through the paper even with a proper screwgun setup.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Drywall-Screw-Setter-4-Pack-DW2014C4/202302391

It cams out automatically. Literally the only thing phillps head as good at.