Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

As someone who also just started playing recently, it's pretty easy to get going as Ireland. Pick a county of your choice (I rolled with Dublin, since the Earl there neighbors his oldass father and will automatically inherit a second county when he dies). Fabricate Claims on your neighbor while building money, hopefully enough for the cheapest mercenary army. Once the claim triggers, beat your neighbor, create a duchy, and you're now a Duke. Which makes the rest of the game simpler, as now you get to actually have vassals and stuff (you can only vassalize someone lower than you in rank. So for example, you must at least be a Duke to start eating up all those Earls).

Also do yourself a huge favor, look at the laws and change them around before you actually start playing and your vassals are capable of roadblocking your choices. Like, first thing I do is go change around the inheritance laws so I'm not screwing with goddamn Gavelkind and losing my entire kingdom on the Earl's death.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
OK. Started the tutorial and I managed to marry my cousin. I noticed she was as shifty as I am, so I decided to plot to kill my brother since I am his heir. Never did hear if it was gonna work. Then I had a revolt which I managed to put down. Then the tutorial wanted me to take over some county in Africa, but the popups were too fast and furious. I couldn't keep up. I'll have to start over. But it was fun while it lasted.`

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The Dregs posted:

OK. Started the tutorial and I managed to marry my cousin. I noticed she was as shifty as I am, so I decided to plot to kill my brother since I am his heir. Never did hear if it was gonna work. Then I had a revolt which I managed to put down. Then the tutorial wanted me to take over some county in Africa, but the popups were too fast and furious. I couldn't keep up. I'll have to start over. But it was fun while it lasted.`

For plotting to kill people, halfway down the intrigue tab(f7), there will be a couple tabs. My plots is the one you want. You have a base plot power, based on your skills, half of your wife's skills and your councillors skills. There's a chance of the plot triggering before you hit 100%, but its low. You have to invite people to your plot. If there's a little yellow hand, you can bribe them into joining your plot.

For higher plot power, park your spymaster wherever the dude lives.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got the game to work again somehow then it doesn't work again, who the gently caress knows, I can't even get to the menu

Guess I'm playing Imperator

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

The Dregs posted:

Do you have any links to the stuff you've already gone over?
they're stream archives so it's a kind of relaxed chill out let's do stuff for 4 hours thing while explaining and instructing on everything that comes up, rather than a highly organized set of videos that all have specific focuses. you can find the stream archives in the uploads section of our channel, here, but having been part of the thread where you got your avatar i have a real feeling that you have a slightly too busy life to just watch a stream archive like that.

my real suggestion would be to try to join one live so you can ask me questions with real context based upon what is going on (which, i find, is how most people end up learning the game - having weird situations come up and having the mechanics in question explained to them slowly), which has the benefit of you being able to bounce out at your leisure. we start streams on monday nights, usually around 8 or 9pm CST, and go for a good 3-4 hours. you can either watch this thread or just subscribe to us on youtube to get a go-live notification.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

One of the devs posted this screenshot on the dev diary thread and people noticed the map looks a little different. We've got a Kingdom of Arles, a united Kievan Rus, the Hamdanids being independent, and the Fatimids controlling a part of Sicily, so there's speculation we're getting a new startdate between 950-1000.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Coolguye posted:

they're stream archives so it's a kind of relaxed chill out let's do stuff for 4 hours thing while explaining and instructing on everything that comes up, rather than a highly organized set of videos that all have specific focuses. you can find the stream archives in the uploads section of our channel, here, but having been part of the thread where you got your avatar i have a real feeling that you have a slightly too busy life to just watch a stream archive like that.

my real suggestion would be to try to join one live so you can ask me questions with real context based upon what is going on (which, i find, is how most people end up learning the game - having weird situations come up and having the mechanics in question explained to them slowly), which has the benefit of you being able to bounce out at your leisure. we start streams on monday nights, usually around 8 or 9pm CST, and go for a good 3-4 hours. you can either watch this thread or just subscribe to us on youtube to get a go-live notification.

Thanks. I'll check it out!

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

One of the devs posted this screenshot on the dev diary thread and people noticed the map looks a little different. We've got a Kingdom of Arles, a united Kievan Rus, the Hamdanids being independent, and the Fatimids controlling a part of Sicily, so there's speculation we're getting a new startdate between 950-1000.

Forgive my ignorance, but is there any actual impact to new start dates already within the parameters of the current start dates? I mean, we can already play a duke from 980, we just have to move the date forwards or backwards manually. Of course you can get special events, but I don't think those are turned off for later start dates or anything.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I think only post 1066 has start dates like that? The only pre 1066 starts are old gods and charlemagne

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

trapped mouse posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but is there any actual impact to new start dates already within the parameters of the current start dates? I mean, we can already play a duke from 980, we just have to move the date forwards or backwards manually. Of course you can get special events, but I don't think those are turned off for later start dates or anything.

As hot cocoa on the couch said, that's only possible from 1066 onward. You actually cannot play a duke from 980. If you have Charlemagne and Old Gods, you can start in exactly 769 or 867, or you can start on any single day between 1066 and 1337.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Is it worth attempting to force independence in order to swear fealty to a stronger catholic king?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Communist Bear posted:

Is it worth attempting to force independence in order to swear fealty to a stronger catholic king?

Depends on your goals? Are you worried about non-Christians holy warring your lands? Or do you want to plot to take over the realm?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Depends on your goals? Are you worried about non-Christians holy warring your lands? Or do you want to plot to take over the realm?

Plotting to take over, but I'm also under the rule of a Norse jarl who stomped around a while back so ideally want to shrug him off due to religion and culture differences.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The thing is, right now the pagans cant conquest your poo poo. If you break free from you him and flip to a catholic ruler, you run the risk of all your old pals trying to conquest for your poo poo.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Good point.

Maybe my alternative option then is to embrace full norsk pagan and become the lord of skulls and bones!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Do the Asian DLCs (Rajas and Jade Dragon) happen on the same map as the rest of the game, or are they sandboxed off into their own little world?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Schadenboner posted:

Do the Asian DLCs (Rajas and Jade Dragon) happen on the same map as the rest of the game, or are they sandboxed off into their own little world?

They happen on the same map. All that Rajas of India really does is making those characters in India playable. They are there whether you have the DLC or not. Jade Dragon enables interactions with China, which is an off-map power (excepting the Western Protectorate, of course).

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Communist Bear posted:

Good point.

Maybe my alternative option then is to embrace full norsk pagan and become the lord of skulls and bones!

Or, if you have monks and mystics, you can falsely profess your faith, form a secret religious cult and make that fucker pay by secretly inducting his most loyal vassals to Catolicism, then, when you have most of the vassals, start practicing publicly then form an overthrow the liege faction

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
So, speaking of the white stag event never happening, look what I finally got!

And there's an acheivement for it too, which is nice. Also, I don't think I've ever seen France as balkanized as it got in my current game (1066 start):

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Or, if you have monks and mystics, you can falsely profess your faith, form a secret religious cult and make that fucker pay by secretly inducting his most loyal vassals to Catolicism, then, when you have most of the vassals, start practicing publicly then form an overthrow the liege faction

I do have that and I never considered that, thank you!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Meanwhile in Ireland, my Genius heir from before has grown to be a man, inheriting from his dad who lived to be 78(!). Unfortunately by the time that happened, it turned out he's also a Lunatic and has syphilis. Oops. Also ultimogeniture struck again and he had to start Kinslayering babies to keep the throne away from harelipped stutterers. No, I couldn't change the laws around as he hadn't reigned long enough. No, I couldn't send the baby off to a monastery or something, apparently you can't do that to direct heirs.

Well, says King Psychopath, one thing to do when everyone hates you and 10 different factions are lining up to kick your doors in. Kick their doors in first :v: Went to revoke one county, which led to six other counties revolting. Too bad for them, I learned my lesson about squirreling away money from the Crusades in order to hire mercs at will. End result, King Looneytunes of Ireland took all his territory back from the myriad prisoners. 17/7 demesne, but hey, no one's left to whine :v:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Except any bishops, barons or mayors. If I were you, I'd try to keep 10 counties to yourself and vassalize the rest. That way you still own over half of Ireland. Then you upgrade the poo poo out of your holdings and unless your vassals bring mercs to the party, you shouldn't have to.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Some holy order has a bunch of castles in my lands. I can't throw them out via the intrigue menu, I can't declare a holding war, I can't vassalize them, I don't think I'll be able to forge a claim. I think it's the castles that they build on a (new?) holding slot via event.

Do I need these holdings under my control if I want to do something that requires "controls all of (my area)"? If so, how do I get them?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Except any bishops, barons or mayors. If I were you, I'd try to keep 10 counties to yourself and vassalize the rest. That way you still own over half of Ireland. Then you upgrade the poo poo out of your holdings and unless your vassals bring mercs to the party, you shouldn't have to.

The whole “Demesne is too large” messages give me conniptions, is it ok to hold a ton of counties even if you suffer for it?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Each county you hold above your limit will have greatly reduced troop levies and taxes. I think its 40% of the counties levies and troops, but I'm probably wrong. You also get a -10 opinion modifier on all vassals per county.

Personally, I'll run one or two counties over my limit, depending on how hard an opinion hit I can take. Unless I have a child ruler and I'm trying to maintain my demesne, then I'm running as many over as I can until I up my stewardship.

A note on stewardship is that the rulership focus has been patched into garbage and is only good if you want to get depressed and kill yourself. If you're looking to improve you stewardship skill, choose business focus.

The only conceivable way it's safe to go grossly over your demesne, is if you your government/culture/bloodline/society, whether alone or by combination, allows you to hold city, temple and baronies. If you can do that, you've got 'er knocked, because you have no vassals to hate you.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Barons can't revolt right? If you eat the levy/tax malus theoretically you can hold every county.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I looked it up and over 5 counties it is 100% a terrible idea to be over your demesne limit unless it's absolutely necessary.

The penalties for over five counties are -90% troop levies and tax from the county and -100% tax from your vassals.

I mean, poo poo, if you were the bully on the block, chances are you wont be with -90% of your levies gone.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just give the extra counties to your kinsmen so the entire island will be ruled by your dynasty.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I look back fondly on the days of North Korea Mode being the most absurdly powerful poo poo.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pidan posted:

Some holy order has a bunch of castles in my lands. I can't throw them out via the intrigue menu, I can't declare a holding war, I can't vassalize them, I don't think I'll be able to forge a claim. I think it's the castles that they build on a (new?) holding slot via event.

Do I need these holdings under my control if I want to do something that requires "controls all of (my area)"? If so, how do I get them?

Are you sure you can't declare war on the holy order grandmaster (whatever title they have) for those holdings?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
You can still go NK mode since the penalty still caps. You just need way more holdings to reach breakeven which makes there considerably harder than in the heyday (in which you could very quickly reach exponential gains)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 5, 2019

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm having a go at trying for the White Hun achievement and every time my ADHD-addled liege goes to war (at least once a year), the enemy invariably make a beeline for my holdings and siege them down.
I've seen enemies cross the entire loving double-Kingdom just to siege my castles down.

gently caress OFF ALREADY

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Enemies always run to siege down your capital, it gets you the most war score in a defensive war. A trick to combat this, is instead of you making a beeline for their capital, siege down the top layer of every county you touch ok the way to the contested lands and instead of sieging down your poo poo, his armies will try to remove the occupying forces in his counties, rather than gently caress with you.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Enemies always run to siege down your capital, it gets you the most war score in a defensive war. A trick to combat this, is instead of you making a beeline for their capital, siege down the top layer of every county you touch ok the way to the contested lands and instead of sieging down your poo poo, his armies will try to remove the occupying forces in his counties, rather than gently caress with you.

Yeah, but I'm a count vassal of the King, who is the actual one at war.
When opposition armies are going out of their way to siege down my provinces, it seems rather vindictive.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Did you join the war? When you do that it seems like the AI prioritizes the player over other AI.

Are you sure the war isnt for some of your counties? Because the AI occupies territory it declared war for before they go for the rulers capital.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Just a follow up on the over demesne limit penalty. I held 8 counties and 2 bishiphorics and wanted to see which gave more tax before giving anything away and I declared a tributary war on some dude. Before taking the 2 extra counties, I could pull up 2500ish troops and when I declared tributary war, I could only pull 1827. After giving away the 2 bishiphorics and one county, I'm up to 4.1k troops.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Even if demesne limit weren't an issue, you shouldn't be holding bishoprics in general bc Christians take big penalties to holding them directly.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If you give out the bishiphorics before the county, they remain your vassals and you get an opinion hit from the county owner unless you transfer it back. I didnt feel like adding an extra few clicks when I could wait the 2 months until the tax -100 tax modifier dropped and see which county I wanted.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
The other thing is that it's almost always better to go tall than wide. Owning the maximum of 5 castle holdings in one county, for instance, means that your Marshal trains X% extra dudes in every castle, your Steward increases tax revenue for every holding, your county modifiers apply to every holding, your mans all spawn in the same spot and don't need to rally, etc. Holding 8 separate counties is significantly less efficient in all of those regards.

If you're having trouble managing dickhead vassals, you can just break up their de jure realms. So for rear end in a top hat counts, you might grant them only the county but not the city and temple vassals, granting those to someone else. They'll generally prioritize consolidating their de jure realms over loving with you, instead endlessly slap fighting with each other.

E: I could also not read the last loving sentence of your last post and look like an idiot, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

GHOST_BUTT posted:

The other thing is that it's almost always better to go wide than tall.

:goonsay: