Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
"...and video content will be streamed live from the Indiana Convention Center"

How many goons can we get on camera, and into game stores around the country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Most.

Edit: I confess this is the first time I have understood it is going to be simultaneous, not throughout the year. Unless I extra-misunderstood now

Editagain: Yeah I understand now. I have no idea why a convention that sells out is going all-in on self-promotion like this but O.K.! Guess it is to give them a new number of "attendees?"

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 3, 2019

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

*VIRTUAL ATTENDANCE*

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
It's all about growing the gen con brand. If it goes well, I would fully expect things like Gen Con SoCal to reappear. I guarantee you the markets these gen con pop ups appear are going to be in the same regions they are testing the waters for satellite cons. First thing I thought of when they said the UK was included

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

nesbit37 posted:

I would fully expect things like Gen Con SoCal to reappear.

God, please.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

WerrWaaa posted:

God, please.

So long as they’re at different times of the year so I can go to both. :getin:

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

So long as they’re at different times of the year so I can go to both. :getin:

Bingo

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Answer my prayers and run a GenCon Orlando, timed against MegaCon.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

It's all about growing the gen con brand. If it goes well, I would fully expect things like Gen Con SoCal to reappear. I guarantee you the markets these gen con pop ups appear are going to be in the same regions they are testing the waters for satellite cons. First thing I thought of when they said the UK was included
Your analysis is always so on-point; you should get into the gaming business!!! !!!

Re-contemplating it and remembering that A) Gen-Con has changed owners since the last official expansion show, I believe (and I remember is being run by a new person since last year), and B) obviously conventions are now all that matters, it really does seem like the time is more than right to expand. Though honestly this would have made perfect sense for the 50th anniversary so it is a shame it did not happen then. Well and be in 50 places not 40.

Doublebingo

My wife will leave me if I go to two, so I might as well just pre-commit to going to all of them.

Really though, for as much as I am obviously Dr. Gen Con, the timing and specific location of any additional events would have to be awfully convenient for me to actually make it to others ... well O.K., unless they all had their own Live Game Auctions, in which case I just might have to commit to this being my new full-time job

Edit: Anyone with archives can enjoy this ... thing ... I found in 2007 where a soon-to-be-banned poster tried to start a Dr. Seuss-inspired play-by-post game and received zero responses

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 4, 2019

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Edit: Anyone with archives can enjoy this ... thing ... I found in 2007 where a soon-to-be-banned poster tried to start a Dr. Seuss-inspired play-by-post game and received zero responses

i wish i was creative enough with rhymes to drunkenly run a dr seuss game

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

i wish i was creative enough with rhymes to drunkenly run a dr seuss game

Then you'd be way ahead of that guy, jfc.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

The events catalog is up and I am overwhelmed and I love it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Then you'd be way ahead of that guy, jfc.

That Guy posted:

And so they packed up their Dabunks and Afrunks too,
their Padanglers and Froozles went in with the Shwoop,
they packed it all in to their Pabumpabump cars,
and man the fit was tight, but it'd hold just fine.
Towards the end it sounds like he is doing it on purpose, but yeah like... It would have sold it so much more if he had tried to ever go all-in on poetry rather than just making up some words.

Well enough about Captain Gimpy who has likely not been discussed here ever

WOOO EVENT LIST now we wait the requisite few hours until someone puts up the third-party search page

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
POSTIN' TWICE YEAHHHHHHHHH!

And in the spirit of Star Wars Month 2019, HERE WE GO WITH SOME ALL-NEW THRILLING SUMMATIONS OF OLD THREADS! ALL OF WHICH ARE HELLA SHORT

The actual genuine earliest Gen-Con thread in these subforums (who knows what might lurk elsewhere) was from JUNE 9, 2003, WOW and was a guy named Despair, who stopped posting here by 2006, looking for a way around the requirement that a hotel room have at least one person over the age of 21, and by the end of this six-post-total thread basically the only thing that has been discussed is that everyone is pretty sure you do not actually have to be 21 to rent a room. GEN-CON!!!

Thread #2 from the same year actually vaguely resembles a thread like you might see today, albeit minus 99% of the enthusiasm, so I have to thank Scorponok for being the first to attempt to hype up the Forums. Also gets bonus points for 2003-era discussion of how Milwaukee basically sucks, even before learning that Indianapolis definitely does not.

Oh huh, and in investigating what he was doing working at Gen-Con, it turns out Scorponok is the guy behind Hero Lab. Had no idea that was technically a Goon project; sweet! Thanks for your cool software, dude who has not posted here since 2015.

O.K. and the most maddening piece of information I have seen so far in one of these thread reviews; Subbes casually mentioning she was cross-posting from the other Gen-Con thread, and linking to it, and that thread not being found on the live forums. What happened?!?! HOW DO I FIND IT?!?!?!

AND I POSTED IN THE 2003 THREAD?!? I DO NOT REMEMBER ANY OF THIS NOOO but anyway Whydirt and Scorponok and I all posted some brief summaries of 2003, and overall the takeaways were "that was great," "I wish more Goons cared about this," and "registration took a thousand hours." Yeah that pretty much lines up perfectly with what I still remember about the first Indianapolis show. Well that and at the time being blown away by the Ram's themed menu, which says a lot about how special it was for a business to actually show affection to Gen-Con at the time.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My event is up!

https://www.gencon.com/events/152695?fbclid=IwAR1e2RkdrR6d9rDYiywAigBPTIJqL--eASHEf70ruYymaT-gXxbfrB09hoI

As usual I'll probably end up running a private game of this for goons only sometime. It's also a demo of the new game I'll be Kickstarting shortly after GenCon that was almost entirely designed for the wacky high-lethality mode we play when I run games for ya'll.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Harsh Gen Con, the Auction does not count in your "big events" e-mail? Sigh. Whatever we will just remain the unknown hipster choice forever

Rolling right back to my all-important historical thread summaries, in Rhandhali's 2004 Gen-Con thread sees me again posting away like there is no tomorrow, confirming that even in 2004 I did not know why I skipped 1998-2001 and that I was aware even then that nobody cared.

Wow, brief discussion of whether any Goons are official members of the Camarilla in One World By Night. Yep, that was a thing. And... seven posts total and done.

And just when you think you have seen all possible types of failed thread we have Rhandhali's second Gen-Con thread of 2004, made a month after the last post in the previous one, so at least it was not overlapping? Aww, Rhandhali suggested we meet at Hard Times (R.I.P.)

Oh hey, 2004 was the year we helped the owner of West End Games get a copy of the only TORG book he was missing only to have him literally just say "thanks" and put it behind his desk and stare at us like "what, am I supposed to be appreciative?"

Whoa I forgot I met Lager, sup Lager

Yet 2004 rolls on with a thread by Winson Paine about an NPR story discussing Gen Con, but considering the links unsurprisingly do not work, this thread is definitely not very exciting now. Apparently an early version of the "D&D made all modern computer games possible" argument came up during it though, so that is fun.

And magically the fourth Gen-Con-related thread of 2004 is one about Gen Con So Cal at the Anaheim Convention Center! This is pretty much the most I have ever seen written about that convention in one place, and it is 12 posts long and all happen before the convention actually starts, which is about right. I think everyone who attended signed an NDA. Oh hey, Pyrusette posted mentioning not being able to figure out how to convince her parents to take her, as she is only 13. It takes all kinds. Hey ROPE KID attended! If it actually happened that is.

Flying at warp speed all the way to 2005, Space Pope starts things off on a thrilling note by mentioning his press pass to the event with appointments to review new Wizards of the Coast products, including nostalgia-inducing titles like Hecatomb! WHOA AND SPACE POPE LINKED TO A GEN CON THREAD IN THE GAMES FORUM PROPER WOW and then the thread proper crashes to earth by being simultaneously excited and disappointed by Shadowrun 4.0

Good lord and only three posts in the other 2005 thread. Get it together, ancient Forums history. Though the mention that "GBS seems Con Unfriendly" implies perhaps someone tried posting there and it went similarly poorly?

And that about wraps it up for the News From Around 2005; back to you, Nemesis of Moles

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I'm a little sad that my flight that I just booked has a ~3pm departure from IN so I'll be missing the auction, but looking into prices otherwise I was looking at either +$100 on top of it to go later, as well as arriving in the AM Monday, both of which I wasn't pumped about.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Um

Well the good news is I am not sure what you are talking about as the Auction is from 10 A.M. Thursday until around Midnight Saturday, stopping only from about 1 A.M. to 9 A.M. Friday and Saturday mornings.

I do think I should edit something somewhere though if I gave newbies the impression that the Auction is only one day certainly.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The auction is amazing and all should attend. It's one of the saddest things about having a booth now as I just cant attend it when the things I am most interested in (and can afford) are up.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I was under the impression that the auction was end of day Sunday... I have been horribly mislead!

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

That's why you leave Monday.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

*a low rumble begins to grow, heard from a great distance*

tova

tova

tova

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Ego Trip posted:

That's why you leave Monday.

If I had a hotel for it sure, but I didn’t know I was going until like a month or so back :x

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

When will we be able to see an auction schedule?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
tova

tova

tova

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

WerrWaaa posted:

Tova is always saturday afternoon

E: this is what is was last year but it’ll probably be slightly different

Fellis fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 7, 2019

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

WerrWaaa posted:

Generally it's not up until the con itself, since they figure out the time frames on Wednesday based on the amount of stuff people bring in. The only consistency is that TOVA is mid-afternoon on Saturday followed by the charity auction to close things out that evening.

LordLobo
Dec 12, 2003

Not
gonna
take it
anymore
Anyone know if Iron GM is happening this year? It's not in the event list, and my friends and I would be sad if it didn't.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

CaptainRat posted:

Generally it's not up until the con itself, since they figure out the time frames on Wednesday based on the amount of stuff people bring in. The only consistency is that TOVA is mid-afternoon on Saturday followed by the charity auction to close things out that evening.

Also, the super rare items for collectors are Friday night and the charity auction is Saturday night.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Carteret posted:

*a low rumble begins to grow, heard from a great distance*

tova

tova

tova
Now now, we will all be tovally exhausted by the time T.O.V.A. rolls around if we keep that up.

CaptainRat posted:

Generally it's notova up until the con itself, since they figure out the tova frames on Wednesday based on the amount of stuff people bring in. The tova consistency is that TOVA is mid-afternoon on Saturday followed by the charity auction tova close things out that evening.
Well TECHNICALLY there are three placements as reliable as T.O.V.A., it is just thatova one of them is rarely exciting to anyone (Family/Casual Board Games, first category every morning and going for 1-2 hours), and the other twova are so reliable that it is not fair (Crème de la crème collectovables Friday evening ~8 onward, Charity Auction Saturday evening ~8 onward).

And then somehow I fail to post this before leaving work and then Nesbit37 scoops me butova you know what, that is O.K.

But yeah WerrWaaa, just know that the first and last auctions of the day are reliable (other than Thursday night since they stopped doing the "kind of collectible" section) and there is no way tova know what will be sold during the late mornings through early evenings until you get there.

Tova

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe those lamps will be back.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

OB_Juan posted:

By popular demand, the dirty thrift store lamps with action figures glued to them will now have their own time block

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

OB_Juan posted:

well if lamp guy is anything like me, he never came back to pick up his unsold auction items

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Wait, the auction isn't a trashcan that occasionally pays you?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
When is the auction submittal deadline actually, I have some stuff to dispose of

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
I just looked into it and it has the Sunday before Gen Con as the deadline.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Does anyone have lamp pics?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The auction is so weird and I love it. It was my favorite spot to hang out during Gen Con in the 90s. It always had the coolest stuff and at great prices teenager me could afford. Unfortunately for me, most of the stuff teenage me was into was pretty much junk and lots of cool older minis. These days the auction just frustrates me. Lots of cool stuff still, but you have to spend lots of time sitting there for it to come up or even know its there, and even before I had a booth I just can't afford to spend all the time there any more and it makes me sad and nostalgic. Also, while I don't know of any pictures of it (though I may have it on video) I liked the auction space at MECCA much better than this one at Indy. That could be nostalgia just messing with me though.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

the magic of the auction is going to the charity auction, finding the one item you must have, and shouting down another nerd who dares to challenge you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gonna have some tough decisions to make.