Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

I know we moved to FFH, but I had one question about Endgame that bothers me.

The movie starts off with Tony in space with Nebula. They have been drifting for about 3 weeks (22 days IIRC)

They get rescued by Captain Marvel, he goes to Avenger's Compound, argues with Steve, then announces that he needs a shave (among other things).

After 3 weeks, he barely has more than a 5 o'clock shadow and his goatee is as trimmed as ever. I'm not some turbo beard grower, but if I don't shave for 3 weeks, I'd have a full beard. Did the producers think that if they put a beard on him we wouldn't recognize it was RDJ?

He was shaving with a nanoblade until he ran out of power to form it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CzarChasm posted:

I know we moved to FFH, but I had one question about Endgame that bothers me.

The movie starts off with Tony in space with Nebula. They have been drifting for about 3 weeks (22 days IIRC)

They get rescued by Captain Marvel, he goes to Avenger's Compound, argues with Steve, then announces that he needs a shave (among other things).

After 3 weeks, he barely has more than a 5 o'clock shadow and his goatee is as trimmed as ever. I'm not some turbo beard grower, but if I don't shave for 3 weeks, I'd have a full beard. Did the producers think that if they put a beard on him we wouldn't recognize it was RDJ?

He probably shaved on the Milano at some point

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, Quill has neatly trimmed facial hair. I'm sure Stark used some of his stuff to keep prim and proper because he couldn't just always be playing paper football with Nebula.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

He probably shaved on the Milano at some point

The Milano is crashed on some foresty planet, the new ship is the Benatar.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Best FFH scenario: surprise team up with Michael Keaton to defeat Mysterio because he's "bad for business". His daughter can come along as she vulture.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m pretty sure that trailer only spoils the first quarter of the movie at best

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jay-V posted:

I had this mindset once at a roulette table and ended up losing way too much money because “no way it will land on black 8 times in a row!”

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, have Toby McGuire and Andrew Garfield Spider-mens appear and reenact this.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/EVswN

That said I agree that Mysterio is definitely lying about something.

You've seen Into the Spider-verse right?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah same. It might be more of a Russo thing specifically, but the MCU has been outright lying in their trailers for years; between that and this being mysterio, I’d be surprised if it gives away as much as it seems too

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

I mean I know what Mysterio's gimmick is so I was kind of taking that as a given the whole time.

Did it ever. I'm aware that's what trailers do these days but still, jeez. The spoiler warning was specifically only for Endgame for gently caress sake.

No kidding, I was really hoping the Mysterio stuff was going to be kept locked down, but now it seems likely it's going to be a con job of some kind. Have their cake and eat it too. I mean that's fine but cmon leave us guessing till we are watching the actual movie not just UUHHHH YEP THERE'S A WHOLE _______ AND HE'S FROM ___________, from a freaking trailer.

I really just hope Mysterio is dangling this carrot of having "his Tony" cross over into MCU Prime, only for him to be completely full of poo poo and either working with Hydro-Man and Sandman, or there never was a Hydro-Man and Sandman, it's Mysterio trying to get tech to help himself get back to his universe. The other thing I can see is some kind of mindwipe Fury unilaterally does on Ned, MJ, May "to protect them from harm". With only Happy knowing, but May has no idea who he is.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Jiro posted:

Have their cake and eat it too.

This is my feeling on this movie as well. I really want us to get a multi-verse story arc (if the MCU is in fact continuing at the same pace it has been), so it'd be cool if that part of the con is a more fleshed-out intro to the concept.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://youtu.be/5Ucqpmsh1vs

is?...

is it just a mental problem white internet nerds have with wanting the most contarian hot take on everything? :stare:

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I definitely think that's an important factor, maybe also a desperate need to feel different/special.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sockser posted:

Hydroman
Sand Man
Molten Man

The Lego sets actually confirm this.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Race Realists posted:

https://youtu.be/5Ucqpmsh1vs

is?...

is it just a mental problem white internet nerds have with wanting the most contarian hot take on everything? :stare:

Controversy = clicks.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I like some of it but the whole plot of Fury harranguing/pressuring/blackmailing? Peter into working for him is leaving a very irritated taste in my mouth.

I know that Fury canonically has a big ol' boner for heroic people being heroic, but the best core of Spider-Man is the fact that he's a hero because he forces himself to be a hero, not because other people are forcing him to be.

For all that I complain about how lovely Stark was in Homecoming, at the very least it incredibly engendered the theme that Peter is going to try to be Spider-Man no matter what and needs no prompting from anyone else to do the right thing.

So this thing where he's getting child-drafted 'cuz he's being groomed to be the next Iron Man or whatever is...irritating. It feels like they didn't even understand the stuff that made the character work in the first film.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hopefully that'll be the lesson Peter has to learn.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

BrianWilly posted:

I like some of it but the whole plot of Fury harranguing/pressuring/blackmailing? Peter into working for him is leaving a very irritated taste in my mouth.

I know that Fury canonically has a big ol' boner for heroic people being heroic, but the best core of Spider-Man is the fact that he's a hero because he forces himself to be a hero, not because other people are forcing him to be.

For all that I complain about how lovely Stark was in Homecoming, at the very least it incredibly engendered the theme that Peter is going to try to be Spider-Man no matter what and needs no prompting from anyone else to do the right thing.

So this thing where he's getting child-drafted 'cuz he's being groomed to be the next Iron Man or whatever is...irritating. It feels like they didn't even understand the stuff that made the character work in the first film.

Fury is getting pushback from Mysterio though, which is part of why I'm hoping Mysterio isn't actually bad.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Arist posted:

Hopefully that'll be the lesson Peter has to learn.
He...already knows it.

Also, look, I thought Stark's sacrifice was really well-done in Endgame. But am I absolutely not here for him being posthumously declared the bestest greatest ever hero that every hero should be striving to be like. I'm sure it's """""realistic""""" for the recently deceased to be glorified in this way, especially by Peter, and especially if Fury is trying to manipulate Peter, but the truth is that half the people on his own team couldn't stand his guts and the other half have punched him in the face at some point.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I know he says it in the trailer, but I think it extremely unlikely that the take home lesson at the end of Far From Home will be "and so Peter decides to become the next Iron man". That's the setup, not the conclusion.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He literally saved the world and brought back literal tillions from death around the universe

Sheesh Let him have a mural or two goddamn.

To Fury, Happy and co. Stark is definitely someone to be admired and that's all that matters for his side of this argument

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dexo posted:

He literally saved the world and brought back literal tillions from death around the universe

Sheesh Let him have a mural or two goddamn.

To Fury, Happy and co. Stark is definitely someone to be admired and that's all that matters for his side of this argument

And even if he hadn't been the one making the sacrifice, he is literally the one made the whole thing happen. Yes, he is the bestest greatest hero.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah in universe Stark is actually the greatest hero that ever lived. That's not really up for debate. You bring back half the universe to life then sacrifice yourself killing the bad guy and there's no way anyone's topping you in the hero contest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hulk is the one who brought people back guys.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

All he did was sacrifice an arm.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

What kind of super scientist can't even master Time Travel?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Time travel isn't possible...

Unless...

Computer, run time travel simulations

Time Travel formula found

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Aphrodite posted:

I'd love it if they included Banner in future movies being really salty about people giving Tony credit for bringing everyone back.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Unless...

Well everyone knows time travel is impossible. What this movie presupposes is... maybe it isn't?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unless...

To be fair that appears to be Tony's superpower.

"This is impossible." "COMPUTER." "This is now possible."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I hope every comic book movie is about time travel so all the nerds continue to poo poo themselves

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't know, Sony have a real bad habit of just recounting the entire plot of the film in their trailer, check out the second trailer for Spider-Man: Homecoming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39udgGPyYMg

It goes through pretty much every act and gives you a precis of the entire thing. It shows the ferry sequence but not only that, but shows you how it's resolved. It shows Iron Man admonishing Peter and Peter losing the suit. Then it goes into the final act, shows you pivotal moments from the final battle, and though it doesn't tell you the one big twist it gives you enough that you can piece it together with little effort.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jared Leto taking his Joker loss well.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1125541581052731392

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I haven't seen the trailer but what you guys are describing sounds a lot like how Peter got played by Fury in the ultimate universe

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair that appears to be Tony's superpower.

"This is impossible." "COMPUTER." "This is now possible."

He did invent the computer that solved the problem. So by the transitive property he solved the problem.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I like to think that Tony spent five years trying to figure out how to go back, seeing as how he solved the issue so quickly. why else would he have that workbench if he was so busy raising Morgan?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Time travel doesn't seem that hard if you have Pym particles. Even Banner got most of the way there.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fangz posted:

Time travel doesn't seem that hard if you have Pym particles. Even Banner got most of the way there.

Tell that to Zod's snapped neck

Wait wrong franchise

Uh, that's my secret, Cap. I'm always inventing time travel.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fangz posted:

He got all the way there. Just in the opposite direction. Banner invented the Yakov Smirnoff version of time travel: Time travels through you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

I like to think that Tony spent five years trying to figure out how to go back, seeing as how he solved the issue so quickly. why else would he have that workbench if he was so busy raising Morgan?

I thought this was pretty clearly what was implied. He worked on it a ton, hit a wall, and gave up. That's why as soon as Scott and the others brought it up he listed off three reasons why it won't work. Then he got re-obsessed and figured it out. Like when you're stuck on a hard game boss and bang your head against it, but then take a break for a day and knock it out in one try,