Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
If they figure out wireless to the PC with quest I'll definitely buy one. Otherwise I'm not that invested in the oculus ecosystem other than a few exclusives. Everything else is on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rage-saq posted:

This has already been done on the Go. Next question please

Except by all accounts there's noticeable delay, so unless you have a massive tolerance for jank it's gonna suck

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Valve was already known for its neurotic development process and Artifact just bombed pretty hard. Wasn't that their first proper release since Portal 2? Valve also haven't announced anything so they can spend years more reworking and re-imagining those VR games while they second guess themselves.

Unless Camp Santo is working on a VR thing. Something like Firewatch would be a great fit for VR. Valve could actually release that while piddling around with their internal releases.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

Except by all accounts there's noticeable delay, so unless you have a massive tolerance for jank it's gonna suck

I mean yeah, before Go existed I was streaming 3D movies to my Note 4 Gear VR using Steam in-home streaming, but like you said it's a question of how much latency and jank you can stand. Movies were OK if I tried not to move much. For actual gaming you're gonna need like 2ms or less added latency, which is gonna need a Carmack miracle or some dev who can otherwise get low level access to the Quest hardware.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I finally upgraded my VR space from like a 3x3 space to a 12x12.

I’m totally gonna be that guy who walks around during Pokerstars VR

Hell yeah

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

With a strong enough WiFi network the latency can be reduced quite considerably. We will have to see what the Quest brings, first party streaming would be awesome.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

rage-saq posted:

With a strong enough WiFi network the latency can be reduced quite considerably. We will have to see what the Quest brings, first party streaming would be awesome.

Probably still not enough to avoid motion sickness when streaming a VR game. However there's a new video put up today where someone's using the Virtual Desktop app for 2D games and 3D SBS movies and it works fine for those (mandatory VR retard-face in the thumbnail like every VR YouTube video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_xDHCHmW78

Lol at the Zuck/Palmer poster in the Virtual Desktop Oculus room at 1:11

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Fallout VR is one of the games I wanna revisit on the Index because the game's art design isn't exactly vibrant under even the best circumstances, in a Vive it's an ugly mess of brown and grey. Also surely modders have managed to make the game look and run reasonably well by now.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Zero VGS posted:

Probably still not enough to avoid motion sickness when streaming a VR game. However there's a new video put up today where someone's using the Virtual Desktop app for 2D games and 3D SBS movies and it works fine for those (mandatory VR retard-face in the thumbnail like every VR YouTube video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_xDHCHmW78

Lol at the Zuck/Palmer poster in the Virtual Desktop Oculus room at 1:11

*sitting at a virtual desk in a virtual bedroom, sending a tweet*

"Feels like we're genuinely living in the future!"

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Republicans posted:

Fallout VR is one of the games I wanna revisit on the Index because the game's art design isn't exactly vibrant under even the best circumstances, in a Vive it's an ugly mess of brown and grey. Also surely modders have managed to make the game look and run reasonably well by now.
I like Fallout4 and all, and have modded it a lot- but the game is a mess and sucks in VR. Modding has taken a lot longer than any previous game because of how sloppy Bethesda is becoming. They didn't add scopes to the game, and modders have tried like hell, but it looks like an enormous pain in the rear end to even add that one thing. Graphic overhauls are definitely good, but you might be better off getting performance packs for graphics because the game was never optimized in the first place.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy

BMan posted:

Maybe plugging your equipment into a UPS would help?

Yeah I bought a $200 UPS and it still happens :(. I'm just resigned to either clean clothes or living in a vr paradise. Also monthly reminder that compound is really really good.

Shoefish fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 7, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shoefish posted:

Yeah I bought a $200 UPS and it still happens :(. I'm just resigned to either clean clothes or living in a vr paradise. Also monthly reminder that compound is really really good.

A $200 UPS probably doesn't do a ton of power conditioning. You would be better off with a nicer power supply.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

You can sum up the effort put into fallout 4vr by the night sky bug. Somehow the night skybox distance was set at like 10 feet creating this crazy optical illusion where a tree or building would look properly 20, 30 feet tall or whatever, while the stars looked just above your head.

How in the gently caress do you release a game without noticing the loving sky is so hosed?

Such an awful job porting it. The dude porting doom 3 in his free time did a million times better job than a professional studio who made it in the first place.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

You can sum up the effort put into fallout 4vr by the night sky bug. Somehow the night skybox distance was set at like 10 feet creating this crazy optical illusion where a tree or building would look properly 20, 30 feet tall or whatever, while the stars looked just above your head.

How in the gently caress do you release a game without noticing the loving sky is so hosed?

Such an awful job porting it. The dude porting doom 3 in his free time did a million times better job than a professional studio who made it in the first place.

That engine is a shambling corpse that has been injected with adrenaline and electrocuted back to life repeatedly for like a decade and a half. It's a piece of poo poo and Bethesda inexplicably keeps using it because they are hacks, and that hackery is evident in everything they make these days.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

A $200 UPS probably doesn't do a ton of power conditioning. You would be better off with a nicer power supply.

If it's not too late to take back the $200 UPS, what you should be using is called a "double-conversion" or "online" UPS:

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Double-Conversion-Rackmount-SU1000RTXL2UA/dp/B000ARNUYQ/

These are more expensive (though you can get one cheaper reconditioned, or very cheap if you nab one with no battery on eBay).

These charge the battery from the wall, and send power from the battery to the PC, in two different isolated circuits, instead of having a switchover delay like a normal UPS. Will almost certainly fix the washing machine issue.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Double conversion UPSes are noisy as gently caress. Also, good luck finding a cheap one in good condition. Probably need to replace batteries immediately.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Fallout 4 VR isn’t going to win any awards but it’s fine and its level of jank isn’t as bad as people are saying in the thread.

And yeah when they initially released it the menus were all hosed up, the sky was in the wrong place, and scopes didn’t work but all of those things were fixed to the point that they work (scopes are weird but to say they don’t work is disingenuous) and this is all without mods.

It’s a big sprawling game with tons of poo poo to do and it’s in VR. It’s good for like, $20.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How was the sky in the wrong place? How?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
At launch the game only rendered at your monitor's resolution so everything was blurry as gently caress lol

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

s.i.r.e. posted:

How was the sky in the wrong place? How?

Well, it's a skybox. It wouldn't really be noticeable until you had depth perception from VR.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

GutBomb posted:

(scopes are weird but to say they don’t work is disingenuous)
I played at launch, I didnt know they actually fixed anything

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I pre-ordered a Quest as baby's first VR, and I have a buddy with muscular dystrophy. It seems Superhot and Beat Saber are pretty well regarded for the launch titles, but I'm not sure he would be able to play those. He can swing his arms fine but anything crouching or using balance like leaning back isn't going to happen. From what I can tell you have to duck under walls for beatsaber and all kinds of leaning in superhot.

Anyone have any game recommendations out of the launch titles for someone that would be sitting or standing pretty much straight up? He always liked gun games at the arcades if there's anything like that that is decent.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You can turn off the obstacles in Beat Saber and no crouching will be required, but yeah, Superhot is gonna be unplayable if you can't dodge. Cutting bullets only gets you so far.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

FuzzySlippers posted:

Valve was already known for its neurotic development process and Artifact just bombed pretty hard. Wasn't that their first proper release since Portal 2? Valve also haven't announced anything so they can spend years more reworking and re-imagining those VR games while they second guess themselves.

Unless Camp Santo is working on a VR thing. Something like Firewatch would be a great fit for VR. Valve could actually release that while piddling around with their internal releases.

My guess is the reason it bombed is because it's a card game (or seems to be). This is the first I've even heard about it.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

mem posted:

I pre-ordered a Quest as baby's first VR, and I have a buddy with muscular dystrophy. It seems Superhot and Beat Saber are pretty well regarded for the launch titles, but I'm not sure he would be able to play those. He can swing his arms fine but anything crouching or using balance like leaning back isn't going to happen. From what I can tell you have to duck under walls for beatsaber and all kinds of leaning in superhot.

Anyone have any game recommendations out of the launch titles for someone that would be sitting or standing pretty much straight up? He always liked gun games at the arcades if there's anything like that that is decent.

Roborecall and space pirate trainer may be OK if he's relatively mobile and can swing his arms comfortably - not being able to juke will reduce his scores but they're all single player so he's basically playing for a high score like an arcade game. IMHO, in that case it's the progression that matters, not your absolute ability. Not all of us can be world champions :jerkbag:

There were some nonshooter games that I remember having fun on with Rift like I Expect You To Die or Job Simulator as launch titles. They're not great games, but they're fun introductions to VR.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mem posted:

Space Pirate Trainer sounds perfect for them.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah Space Pirate Trainer and Robo Recall would get my votes.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mem posted:

Repeating votes for Robo Recall. Even more so than space pirate trainer, you can get out of ducking and moving in robo recall by grabbing the bullets, blocking them with an enemy you're holding, deflect them away with the side of your gun, or just teleport somewhere else. It should be a very easy shooty game to play without body movement.

In addition to that and space pirate trainer, as someone else mentioned I Expect you to Die is a fun puzzle game, Moss is a 3rd person platformer so perfectly playable seated. Theres that Drop Dead game, which is probably a pretty mindless zombie wave shooter if you're looking for more shooty games, though I've never played it. Rec Room is also free and has some shooter modes like paintball, and a battle royale mode.

Looking at the launch line up I don't see any other real shooter games, though it is confirmed Sariento will be coming to Quest this summer, and I assume there will be plenty of shooter games coming. That PSVR tactical shooter Zero Hour was pretty heavily hinted at being worked on for the quest too.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Thanks I checked out some video on those and they looked pretty playable. He can sidestep, just really can't lean or crouch. Should be fun after a few beers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If he can at least sidestep Sairento should be okay. It's a pretty high-energy shooter and a LOT of fun.

Also about the BS someone was saying about the Reverb competing with Hololens, I'd assume that came from the Reverb being a pro-sumer headset like the Vive Pro rather than an a general consumer headset. It wouldn't really make sense anyway because Microsoft would still make money either way.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

GutBomb posted:

Fallout 4 VR isn’t going to win any awards but it’s fine and its level of jank isn’t as bad as people are saying in the thread.

And yeah when they initially released it the menus were all hosed up, the sky was in the wrong place, and scopes didn’t work but all of those things were fixed to the point that they work (scopes are weird but to say they don’t work is disingenuous) and this is all without mods.

It’s a big sprawling game with tons of poo poo to do and it’s in VR. It’s good for like, $20.

Scopes do not work. You bring the gun close to your face and the screen slowly blacks out (and if you bring your controller close but not close enough to trigger it just stays dimmed lol) and then a zoomed up version of the screen shows up with a silly overlay which may look like the reticle of a scope, but might as well be a squiggle for how useful it is for aiming at the enemies. Presumably that's because the guns are still inaccurate even while scoped in but I dunno. If they were going to be that lazy, they should have just gone with the Unreal Tournament sniper zoom where it just plops the reticle on your screen and zooms in.

I spent all day today playing Fallout VR since the discussion here reminded me that I had it installed with a functioning mod stack. It's a crushing disappointment. It's playable with heavy use of mods and ini tweaks, but only just playable. A lot of the problems with the game are that Fallout 4 is a Bad Video Game, but the sloppy VR port adds a lot of headaches to it. On the other hand, now that everything is setup, it's really sweet to go out and see, like, a big rear end water tower or whatever, though yeah everything is mostly just grey blobs.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

My guess is the reason it bombed is because it's a card game (or seems to be). This is the first I've even heard about it.

Artifact is a card game that is very complicated, yet all the cards are simple and boring.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The scopes work like they do because doing it the Pavlov way would mean rendering an extra scene to a texture, something that the engine doesn't really seem well equipped to do (there's a lack of mirrors, portals, or anything like that elsewhere in the game). It'd also have a big performance penalty, the game already barely runs.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 7, 2019

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Basically the game was poorly made in the first place so remaking it for VR is very hard and they didn't really wanna bother

This also basically holds true for Skyrim, but you can get away with Skyrim running poorly because it's loving ancient

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Blade & Sorcery is way more fun if you play the warzone mode, in which it continuously spawns fighters from various different factions, and they'll fight each other/you.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Oh, since this came up before and didn't really get a clear answer then: The payment for the Index cleared, Valve has my money now. They're not waiting until stuff ships.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Another fun game is The Unspoken. A lot of arm waiving without too much physical moving about. Look forward to being able to play that on Quest too.

I am glad a lot of these games are listed to be cross buy so I don't have to re-buy everything I already own on Oculus CV1, for the Quest. Only one I think I need to get on Oculus is Beat Saber as I only have the Steam one currently.

Is In Death slated to make the jump?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not sure if anyone can answer this yet, but do we know if it's possible to be logged into the same account on a Rift and Quest at the same time?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Not sure if anyone can answer this yet, but do we know if it's possible to be logged into the same account on a Rift and Quest at the same time?
Do you think Facebook would prefer you log out instead?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

Probably works the same as logging in to two Rifts at the same time. And I'm not exactly sure how that works but I assume it'll kick you out of one if you try running any game (or maybe just the same game) on another device.

Rift accounts are pretty easy to share among friends the last time I tried; it didn't hassle you with forced 2FA or anything, you could just share the password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

You know, with stuff like Open morrowind, I wonder how feasible it would be to make a VR port of it, or even Oblivion since that has physics and non dice roll attacks.

Yeah the sideload community ought to be very very interesting over the next year

If Bethesda doesn't jump on the massively massively interactive fantasy immersive world bandwagon, hell, become the leader in it, I would be extremely surprised. If any one company is sitting on the existing props, worlds, stories, it is them.

I never read about it but that fallout 74 or whatever game, doing a quest port seems like a good way to attempt to inject new players into a money losing bet