Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ahh, Stephen Fry's dulcet tones :allears:

vv: sigh

Also, that wasn't Stephen Fry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
really? it sounded alot like him. who was it?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
someone who isn't stephen fry

namely, ryan barger

pwn fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 24, 2019

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
... Wouldn't Hugh bonneville be more likely?

pwn
May 27, 2004

... Wouldn't Hugh bonneville be more likely?
It says “(Goodbye Birbs)” next to Barger’s name

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Also, though, WTF was this episode?

Amazing is what it was. They do dour deep-dives all the time; I'm happy to see take a week here or there to explore something that's weird and fun.

Sucks that the Chiitan segment didn't go on their Youtube this week.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

pwn posted:

It says “(Goodbye Birbs)” next to Barger’s name

goodbye birbs is on the painting. It's just a co-inky-dink. And this: https://www.pbs.org/video/behind-scenes-hugh-bonneville-isb1gl/ sounds alot more like it. I'm pretty sure barger is the shouty announcer

e:

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 24, 2019

pwn
May 27, 2004

goodbye birbs is on the painting. It's just a co-inky-dink. And this: https://www.pbs.org/video/behind-scenes-hugh-bonneville-isb1gl/ sounds alot more like it. I'm pretty sure barger is the shouty announcer

e:
Ah, good catch, thanks!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Whelp.

https://twitter.com/ogecebel/status/1120293745021181953

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I wish we had weirdo town mascots that vaguely threaten its populace with bats.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's a small thing, but I like that John still reps The Bugle on his twitter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They just put up the Chiitan segment on Youtube as well.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i'm glad they're doing an episode on the death penalty, honestly they could probably do a whole other thing about *who* gets executed.

(surprise, they're all poor, often not white, and occasionally mentally deficient to reckon with their crimes)

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

i'm glad they're doing an episode on the death penalty, honestly they could probably do a whole other thing about *who* gets executed.

(surprise, they're all poor, often not white, and occasionally mentally deficient to reckon with their crimes)

And sometimes innocent.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

El Jeffe posted:

And sometimes innocent.

Yeah, the "reasons not to gently caress my mom" metaphor just keeps on giving!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Man, that has to be the longest walk to a motherfucker joke in history.

Excellent episode, though I think it suffers from arguing in good faith towards people who have none. To use John's analogy, the people who support the death penalty are indeed motherfuckers. They don't care about being just or humane. Revenge and suffering is the point.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

El Jeffe posted:

And sometimes innocent.

Skippy McPants posted:

Man, that has to be the longest walk to a motherfucker joke in history.

Excellent episode, though I think it suffers from arguing in good faith towards people who have none. To use John's analogy, the people who support the death penalty are indeed motherfuckers. They don't care about being just or humane. Revenge and suffering is the point.

yeah, it's very hard to argue the death penalty on a procedural or factual basis because it is such a morally based issue (much like abortion!). I could spew facts about the cost and the innocent people and how it doesn't actually work as a deterrent and the inequality and the inhumane nature of the whole proceedings or how states literally have to break the law themselves to put it into effect but at the end of the day, the ultimate reason I think we shouldn't have a death penalty is because I think it's wrong. I think killing is wrong, I think "an eye for an eye" is an abhorrent judicial philosophy and I think the government shouldn't have the right to take a life in this fashion. In the same way, people who are in favor of it feel that there's no retribution for someone as abhorrent as, say, Ted Bundy, or any given man who rapes and murders a 10-year-old that fits better than death because it's what they deserve, and those people aren't going to be argued out of their position without some sort of insight that doesn't happen overnight, let alone in any type of debate.

The best thing you can do if you're against the death penalty is supporting the people who are trying to keep people off of death row in the first place. any poverty law charity (i've heard some negative things about the SPLC that's made me rethink my donation to them but the Southern Center for Human Rights is a good alternative, plus any local charities that help with public defenders/other poverty law issues), or something like the Innocence Project, which does incredible work for innocent people on death row who have no other recourse. But it should be remembered that most of the people on death row *are* guilty, and that even the most heinous person in the world (the Boston Bomber, according to the latest stupid "well do you support ________ having rights") should not be subject to the death penalty.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Jim Adler the Texas Hammer has been doing that poo poo for loving ever, it was funny to see something local like that on LWT.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Tenkaris posted:

Jim Adler the Texas Hammer has been doing that poo poo for loving ever, it was funny to see something local like that on LWT.

I'm not from Texas, but the idea of attacking insurance companies with sledge hammers is deeply appealing to me.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Tenkaris posted:

yeah i was surprised to see he was still around, and said 'oh god' when i saw 'jim adler'

hes nothing more than an ambulance chaser, honestly, just with a memorable catchphrase and persona

Also why am I not surprised to see his son (I assume) getting in on the game?

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 6, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also John was surprisingly lenient on the fuckwit Australian politicians in the opening segment, they're a lot shittier and have been loving up a lot harder than he let on.

Clive Palmer's vanity project political party in particular has been spectacularly dumb from the get go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsZ8z1tw_Sc

I did a brief write up about the biggest gently caress ups so far this election in the PYF schadenfreude thread and there'll no doubt be even bigger gently caress ups in the next two weeks before polling day, rumour has it that the muck raking teams employed by the major parties are sitting on some especially juicy stuff which they'll release just before the election in order to cause maximum carnage.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah I thought Clive Palmer got off fairly lightly - he's a colossal shitlord and it's frankly incredible that literally anyone would consider voting for him.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

(surprise, they're all poor, often not white, and occasionally mentally deficient to reckon with their crimes humans)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Woah Black Betty

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Woah Black Betty

Nothing to add to this, but it made me laugh.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It is a really weird position to try arguing about the relative pain levels in various execution methods when your bottom line is that "no execution is acceptable". The idea of a "painless death" is a weird idea that doesn't really make sense to me either way. It's a weird idea that tries to use other emotional queues to get around the central idea of what they're doing.

Execution is largely a psychological thing because people who super hate crime feel more vindicated by doing extra harm upon criminals. In more recent days, I understand that perspective more than I used to, since the idea of Donald Trump dead with his head on a pike as a warning to others who follow in his footsteps like Mussolini or Muammar Gaddafi does give me a little comfort, but obviously since that's not likely, there's no reason to try extending those feelings to smaller-time criminals who may not even be guilty. That vindictiveness plagues the entirety of the justice system, making even smaller sentences more tortuous than anything else.

Firing squads aren't 100% legal either. It seems fair to let inmates choose their own form of execution, although that is probably too impractical.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also John was surprisingly lenient on the fuckwit Australian politicians in the opening segment, they're a lot shittier and have been loving up a lot harder than he let on.

I've only heard of the guy who tried to both admit to kidnapping some kids back in 1996 and argue that it wasn't kidnapping.

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/one-nation-mp-hopeful-has-very-bad-day-on-twitter-28878

Tenkaris posted:

Yeah, but it's been a long while since I've seen local commercials, he's gotten a lot older. Funny, but in the same way a lot local ads are funny.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Wasn't that johns whole point with the loving your mom bits, though, like the 'things being awkward with your dad' is a bad reason to gently caress your mom but 'oh yeah you shouldnt gently caress your mom'

And of course hes going to use emotional appeals to appeal to people about a largely emotional issue.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
There are only emotional appeals because the death penalty is inherently and quantifiably impractical.
:shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've only heard of the guy who tried to both admit to kidnapping some kids back in 1996 and argue that it wasn't kidnapping.

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/one-nation-mp-hopeful-has-very-bad-day-on-twitter-28878

It turns out that the kidnapping story was just the tip of the iceberg!
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/apr/26/one-nation-candidate-mark-ellis-allegedly-threatened-to-kill-employee

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Clive Palmer's vanity project political party in particular has been spectacularly dumb from the get go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsZ8z1tw_Sc

I did a brief write up about the biggest gently caress ups so far this election in the PYF schadenfreude thread and there'll no doubt be even bigger gently caress ups in the next two weeks before polling day, rumour has it that the muck raking teams employed by the major parties are sitting on some especially juicy stuff which they'll release just before the election in order to cause maximum carnage.

Seeing as there is still time they might just be doing more next week.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am a physician, I can be de-boarded for taking part in an execution. I am agaisnt the death penalty but honestly a gunshot to the back of the head is better than lethal injection or electric chair. Hell, I would rank guillotine above almost every currently used method as "humane".

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
If you're going to have the death penalty, I'd second the gunshot-to-the-back-of-the-head method. Unlike a firing squad, there is no chance of missing or hitting slightly off target, and it is an almost instantaneous death. And, I seriously doubt we'd have too much trouble finding people with a) the firearms, b) the ammunition, c) the necessary skills, or d) the willingness to actually kill someone legally. Fans of the TV series In the Heat of the Night might remember Carroll O'Connor describing the ideal execution method as being similar to this, except that it began with the person being told that they had served their time, everything was OK, and they would be released... and once they were convinced and on their way out, bang.

I'm against the death penalty. Like, 100% against it in 99.9% of situations. Because to be perfectly honest, I would probably nod in approval if I heard that they executed that dude who shot up the concert in Las Vegas a few years back. But, that's just an emotional thing, and even if it weren't, that guy's guilt is not at all in doubt.

My position on the death penalty used to be where you'd expect it to be back when I was a conservative--which was back when I was youngerdumber, before things were as polarized as they are now--and it was one of the last things I changed my mind on as I became more and more liberal. The thing that really did it for me was that here in Illinois, we had a few high-profile cases where death row inmates were found innocent thanks to new evidence (or modern analysis of old evidence). It was really only then when I realized just how flimsy some of these convictions were. I had just assumed that death row was for people who committed huge murders--notorious mass shootings, serial killers, career criminals who have killed several people, etc. I never really knew that it was mainly for poor black guys who were convicted of a single, random murder based on nothing more than a single, cross-race eyewitness account.

I can still remember a very heated argument I had with my dad over this. It was clear that innocent people were on death row, and not just one or two. That was all I needed to know. My dad thought I was nuts, and he told me that if I were ever convicted of a murder I didn't commit, and I were executed for it, that it'd be OK because when I got to heaven, the truth would come out, I'd be OK, and the guy who did it, and everyone who falsely convicted me, would have to pay for it.

I wish someone would have taken a picture of my face at that moment. I'll never be able to pull off that look again.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

tarlibone posted:

If you're going to have the death penalty, I'd second the gunshot-to-the-back-of-the-head method. Unlike a firing squad, there is no chance of missing or hitting slightly off target, and it is an almost instantaneous death. And, I seriously doubt we'd have too much trouble finding people with a) the firearms, b) the ammunition, c) the necessary skills, or d) the willingness to actually kill someone legally. Fans of the TV series In the Heat of the Night might remember Carroll O'Connor describing the ideal execution method as being similar to this, except that it began with the person being told that they had served their time, everything was OK, and they would be released... and once they were convinced and on their way out, bang.

I'm against the death penalty. Like, 100% against it in 99.9% of situations. Because to be perfectly honest, I would probably nod in approval if I heard that they executed that dude who shot up the concert in Las Vegas a few years back. But, that's just an emotional thing, and even if it weren't, that guy's guilt is not at all in doubt.

My position on the death penalty used to be where you'd expect it to be back when I was a conservative--which was back when I was youngerdumber, before things were as polarized as they are now--and it was one of the last things I changed my mind on as I became more and more liberal. The thing that really did it for me was that here in Illinois, we had a few high-profile cases where death row inmates were found innocent thanks to new evidence (or modern analysis of old evidence). It was really only then when I realized just how flimsy some of these convictions were. I had just assumed that death row was for people who committed huge murders--notorious mass shootings, serial killers, career criminals who have killed several people, etc. I never really knew that it was mainly for poor black guys who were convicted of a single, random murder based on nothing more than a single, cross-race eyewitness account.

I can still remember a very heated argument I had with my dad over this. It was clear that innocent people were on death row, and not just one or two. That was all I needed to know. My dad thought I was nuts, and he told me that if I were ever convicted of a murder I didn't commit, and I were executed for it, that it'd be OK because when I got to heaven, the truth would come out, I'd be OK, and the guy who did it, and everyone who falsely convicted me, would have to pay for it.

I wish someone would have taken a picture of my face at that moment. I'll never be able to pull off that look again.

And this is why rational arguments will never work w/r/t the death penalty...

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

swickles posted:

Hell, I would rank guillotine above almost every currently used method as "humane".

Even then, isn't there evidence to suggest that guillotine victims have a few brief moments of awareness before the blood completely drains from their brain? I seem to remember reports of beheading victims looking around in horror for a couple of seconds before dying.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the executioners currently prioritize keeping the body intact and minimizing cleanup. There might be some comfort in being able to have an open casket funeral, but I think mainly nobody likes cleaning up human remains. The chair is just the worst for that.

The concept of a "painless death" is for people trying to fool their own empathy or people trying to work themselves up to a suicide.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

webmeister posted:

Yeah I thought Clive Palmer got off fairly lightly - he's a colossal shitlord and it's frankly incredible that literally anyone would consider voting for him.

KFC is considerably better than worthless, racist 'straylans so I'm not happy with J/O regarding this matter

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the executioners currently prioritize keeping the body intact and minimizing cleanup. There might be some comfort in being able to have an open casket funeral, but I think mainly nobody likes cleaning up human remains. The chair is just the worst for that.

John says this outright in the video when he mentions that our current executions "aren't about minimizing suffering for the condemned, but maximizing comfort for the witnesses."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Literally the only reason that makes it slightly difficult for me to categorically denounce the death penalty is that some of the SS members who either occupied or betrayed my country and were sentenced to death for it but then had that sentence commuted to life managed to escape prison, flee to Germany, not be extradited (because they were German citizens, which some only were due to a nazi era law that granted citizenship to SS members) and live out the next 60+ years of their life in freedom.

And even then the real solution is to just resume carpetbombing Germany until they stop defending nazis.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
I kinda want to see the story about the meeping frog. Don't tell me he didn't film an entire 20-min segment about the angry, meeping frog. It's the perfect opportunity to waste HBO's money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Against the death penalty, but for carpetbombing the citizens of countries that violate law :thunk: