Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

uh wtf is going on at 30s, thats C code and ≤ isn't a C operator

microsoft decided to hop on the "stupid ligatures programming font" craze and make yet another one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

akadajet posted:

microsoft decided to hop on the "stupid ligatures programming font" craze and make yet another one

ah

i wonder what the first "critical security vulnerability because the programmer used the wrong font" will be

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Beamed posted:

can we talk about them sliding interoperability with java in there as a loving cliff note

unless I'm misreading it, it's already something supported through Mono. so the idea is that it'll be supported within .NET Core too. but it's not a new thing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's hard to get too excited about java interop in 2019 but maybe when people ask how to make a cross platform gui in .dotnet core we can tell them to use javafx now.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it sounds like instead u just use uwp or winforms.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
one .NET exists because MSFT employees are too afraid to admit mono does better at some things and didn't want to use it in their projects

so it was easier to rebrand everything

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

it sounds like instead u just use uwp or winforms.
Neither of those is cross platform. Also I'm not that fond of WPF.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it seems like maybe they're making them cross platform? or maybe they're just making them run on windows on .net core which I guess why is that even an issue?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mystes posted:

Neither of those is cross platform. Also I'm not that fond of WPF.

and winforms is ancient

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

it seems like maybe they're making them cross platform? or maybe they're just making them run on windows on .net core which I guess why is that even an issue?
It's the latter. .net core was originally focused more on cross platform server type stuff I guess, so they didn't bother with some of this desktop stuff until they decided .net core would be completely replacing .net framework.

Maybe it has to do with Microsoft's internal politics, too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The_Franz posted:

and winforms is ancient
WPF is also ancient at this point. If Microsoft hadn't wasted all its time getting locked in some sort of stupid internal fight over desktop vs UWP, there's no way it wouldn't have been replaced by now.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 7, 2019

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the vibe I get is that UWP was satya giving the windows org a chance to fail in order to justify chopping them in half and handing the pieces to the office and azure orgs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram posted:

windows is not unix

thank goodness

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
can I actually copy paste like every other app written in the last 30 years in this new command line thing

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

can I actually copy paste like every other app written in the last 30 years in this new command line thing

:confused:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

you've been able to for going on four years now, so probably

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

brap posted:

the vibe I get is that UWP was satya giving the windows org a chance to fail in order to justify chopping them in half and handing the pieces to the office and azure orgs.

the right move imo

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/6/18528881/microsoft-edge-macos-mac-browser-teaser-build-2019

why

"Mac owners have been waiting to hear more details about when Edge will be available on macOS" man talk about fake news

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Drastic Actions posted:

one .NET exists because MSFT employees are too afraid to admit mono does better at some things and didn't want to use it in their projects

so it was easier to rebrand everything

mono is garbage and they were right to port framework instead

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i thought mono was just code for getting knocked up in high school

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

as with most things microsoft is out of touch and hasn't caught on that even apple is writing off macos these days

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I tried using chedge and greenpos is the wrong color.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

greenpos is the wrong color.

we know

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in chome its wrong which why insane orange yospos users may use the orange version

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shaggar posted:

in chome its wrong which why insane orange yospos users may use the orange version

Ah so Edge is wrong too. Interesting.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

isn’t it more of a “home” for poo poo like powershell and cmd rather than a replacement for them?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

i cant get this loving terminal to build this is bullshit

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

all that effort reimplementing the Linux ABI from scratch just thrown away

I wonder if they'll rip out the picokernel stuff, too

pretty sure the history of the picoprocess stuff actually predates wsl by some margin, being something they were fiddling with for weird azure/iot usecases, so i expect it'll stick. they are also not getting rid of the original way of running wsl, as it is a lot more lightweight for single processes (and since it interfaces with very well-defined syscall interfaces on both sides the maintenance effort should be pretty close to zero)

all very exciting either way, i do love wsl.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

echinopsis posted:

isn’t it more of a “home” for poo poo like powershell and cmd rather than a replacement for them?
it's a modernised alternative to conhost.exe, which is used for all the windows command line poo poo (cmd, powershell etc.). conhost will apparently still be used if you run cmd.exe, powershell.exe etc. directly, to avoid breaking pre-existing setups while they do their wacky new ui stuff

(incidentally, the source code to conhost is included with the windows terminal source code on github)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pardot posted:

i cant get this loving terminal to build this is bullshit

gave it a go and it built. had to install the .net 4 and 4.5 target and atl beyond what is default in the vs 2017 build tools c++ profile, and the readme has you build all targets (e.g. crosscompile arm64) so go 'MSBuild OpenConsole.sln /p:Configuration=Release /p:Platform=x64' to not need every dependency on earth.

while the new terminal seems pretty neat i would suggest not bothering trying to build it unless very curious though, hardly a large leap forward.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

gave it a go and it built. had to install the .net 4 and 4.5 target and atl beyond what is default in the vs 2017 build tools c++ profile, and the readme has you build all targets (e.g. crosscompile arm64) so go 'MSBuild OpenConsole.sln /p:Configuration=Release /p:Platform=x64' to not need every dependency on earth.

while the new terminal seems pretty neat i would suggest not bothering trying to build it unless very curious though, hardly a large leap forward.

is it more than just the three terminals available in windows but bolted together?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Ah so Edge is wrong too. Interesting.

in chome based edge its wrong. in regular edge its correct

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

Windows has a fairly new feature where if you press win+v it will show you your clipboard history.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Windows has a fairly new feature where if you press win+v it will show you your clipboard history.

uhh.. that sounds like a terrible security flaw to me

e: just looked it up and it syncs to MS servers?? jesus lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

is it more than just the three terminals available in windows but bolted together?
What thee terminals?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mystes posted:

What thee terminals?
assuming he means cmd.exe, powershell and bash or whatever other horrible thing you're putting wsl through (one of the screenshots is midnight commander and some other stuff by way of tmux)

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Kins posted:

assuming he means cmd.exe, powershell and bash or whatever other horrible thing you're putting wsl through (one of the screenshots is midnight commander and some other stuff by way of tmux)
I guess now windows users will be able to understand the distinction between shells and terminals?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Last Chance posted:

uhh.. that sounds like a terrible security flaw to me

e: just looked it up and it syncs to MS servers?? jesus lol

it syncs across computers. its super good

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbpjLchrYgw&t=3175s

ouch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it would build fine for me but deploying the solution would fail but I figured out my problem was that i wasn't a windows insider. i tried to do that once but it failed and i assumed it was cause they were blocking me. this time it worked, but also i recently joined some internal beta tester thing, so maybe i'm in some security group that allows windows insider or maybe something else was wrong before, i'll never be able to know :iiam:

but once i did the windows insder and changed to some other version of windows, it all worked.

and yeah it wasn't worth all that, but my biggest complaint from now having to use windows now is how bad both the default terminal is and comemu/cmder are, so I really had high hopes for this. it's still a ways off from being released for real so maybe it'll get cool