Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Doming archers' soft skulls with big meaty brawler hands feels right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

LGD posted:

I'm not sure it isn't worth forgoing a random 1 point perk to get a cleaver or something though, since not being *totally* unarmed has definite advantages and at the very least you can chuck it once you've grabbed a zweihander or w/e

its almost certainly better than, say, taking brawler (in non-meme terms anyhow)

One point for a basic weapon and one point for a bandage imo.

Really, I am not overly impressed with a lot of the perks. The ones that are good have high point cost, and the one or two point ones usually have very fringe/situational benefits. The only one I would consider totally mandatory is Huntsman on an archer character

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

CuddleCryptid posted:

One point for a basic weapon and one point for a bandage imo.

Really, I am not overly impressed with a lot of the perks. The ones that are good have high point cost, and the one or two point ones usually have very fringe/situational benefits. The only one I would consider totally mandatory is Huntsman on an archer character

Same. Fireproof is pretty good until people stop abusing firebombs, but you can just not walk into the fire, and if you're constantly moving as you should you won't be caught in it that much :shrug:

Tenacious sounds good but if you have the time to take a breather and recharge, you might as well stay in cover for 5 more seconds or whatever. You're getting back to 100 anyways...

Friendly is useful as a starting crutch but you'll grow out of it, it's an always useful but quite boring "I have a spare point and no idea what else to take" perk

Not really sure about any others, they either sound too expensive or too useless so I never took them :v:

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Friendly is also nice if you're running firepots since teammates can be idiots

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I've grown to really like tenacious. Bandages can be faster but you're vulnerable while using them and you have limited ammo. With tenacious I don't typically run away to safety but rather back off a few feet from a melee, far enough that an enemy probably won't pursue for fear of getting surrounded but you're still close enough to affect what the enemies do and intervene/defend yourself if needed. In that situation the few seconds off healing is easily worth 1 point.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

yeah, the advantage of tenacious is that you don't have to fully disengage/take cover and you'll generally get huge returns if the healing kicks in for any length of time

imo its a pretty fair choice/preference between tenacious and bandage and both definitely have significant upside if you can spare the point

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I'd say bandages are better in skirmish/deathmatch modes where there are a lot of smaller fights. You can kill the one guy you're fighting and then quickly bandage up and run to the next fight. Meanwhile in Frontline there are pretty much always more enemies around so you'd have to back up and find a safe place to use your bandages anyway, and at that point they're no faster than using tenacious.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Bardeh posted:

So apparently they sold 500k copies already, which isn't bad for a tiny team who all work remotely. Well deserved though, game's awesome.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/629760/announcements/detail/1616140423563616612

Really looking forward to see if they use some of this money to let you play as a nonwhite person

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I am starting to dislike dodge

not because it's bad, though it isn't great and I don't think it's worth four full points, but because it teaches really bad muscle memory of being able to go "whoa poo poo that's going to flub better side step" while being way to expensive to actually shove into every build

my halberd guy ends up jumping stupidly a lot

you can dodge pretty much at any time tho so it's really great for any archer, you can draw a weapon while dodging when you get surprise rush downed

edit: if you're fighting a maul dude just jump whenever you get feinted/beef it and you're invincible. alternatively duck if you're feeling lucky

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 7, 2019

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Diogines posted:

OP strategy once you get comfortable with many weapons:

Make a character with 3/3/preference armor and stack them up with perks. Take many good perks. Scavenge a weapon from the battlefield.

my own OP strategy is based on 4 points
1: bear traps instakill people with bad leg armour
2: the kind of people who are determined to minmax and try to play as OP as possible have all decided that leg armour is a waste of points and tell everyone not to take it
3: there are lots of chokepoints that are approximately 2-4 bear traps wide, and you can have 4 bear traps out at a time
4: disarming a bear trap requires you to crouch and stare directly at it and then poke it

2 bear traps and a spear, all other equipment/perks optional
layout the bear traps in a chokepoint such that they cannot be bypassed
stand on the other side of them screaming to distract people so that they run into them
if someone stops to disarm one, throw your spear into his head and then do the laugh emote

Orv
May 4, 2011
The two log bridges on the north side of Taiga's middle point in Frontline are now my favorite thing ever. I held court there last night with an eveningstar and all you have to do is tap people on the side as they run in with a big old zweihander roundhouse and off they go. Two people who know what they're doing (or are at least a moderate-ish threat, like me) can hold that poo poo forever, it's great.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gamerofthegame posted:

I am starting to dislike dodge

not because it's bad, though it isn't great and I don't think it's worth four full points, but because it teaches really bad muscle memory of being able to go "whoa poo poo that's going to flub better side step" while being way to expensive to actually shove into every build

my halberd guy ends up jumping stupidly a lot

you can dodge pretty much at any time tho so it's really great for any archer, you can draw a weapon while dodging when you get surprise rush downed

edit: if you're fighting a maul dude just jump whenever you get feinted/beef it and you're invincible. alternatively duck if you're feeling lucky

It's pretty affordable imo. Not with the super expensive weapons like spear/halberd/zweihander, but you can throw it in with a 6-point weapon and 2/3/1 armor (or 4-point weapon plus shield) which feels pretty solid. I have a loadout that uses it with the Billhook (5 points) plus tenacious or bandages or something with the 1 point left. Billhook works pretty well I think because of how long it is, so you can easily hit after a back-dodge.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 7, 2019

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Liking peasant mode, scythe and pan are fun times.

Also does it take forever for US Battle Royale matches (both east and west) to queue or is it just me?

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Really looking forward to see if they use some of this money to let you play as a nonwhite person

9 posts primarily about the game's lack of skin tones yet not a single comment on the gameplay in any of those posts... :thunk:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

lovely Wizard posted:

Also does it take forever for US Battle Royale matches (both east and west) to queue or is it just me?

Not just you, Its a worldwide bug the devs are working on.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

lovely Wizard posted:

9 posts primarily about the game's lack of skin tones yet not a single comment on the gameplay in any of those posts... :thunk:

Well yeah, I bought the game, noticed you could only be white, and refunded it. I'm not loving supporting a game that enables white supremacists like this. The moment that they do add more I will likely play the game and enjoy it, because I enjoyed Chivalry, warts and all, and if this really is better Chivalry then I'm extremely down.

It's just that I'm only down if the devs aren't white supremacists themselves and I want them to prove it.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Well yeah, I bought the game, noticed you could only be white, and refunded it. I'm not loving supporting a game that enables white supremacists like this. The moment that they do add more I will likely play the game and enjoy it, because I enjoyed Chivalry, warts and all, and if this really is better Chivalry then I'm extremely down.

It's just that I'm only down if the devs aren't white supremacists themselves and I want them to prove it.

Well the game has succeeded both financially and critically, and nobody is buying into the white supremacist thing so have fun missing out because of your weird world views.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If you paid $200+ for the kickstarter you got to pick one of the random names that bots get.
Somebody put in "Auric Von Shekelstein", named after an anti-semitic 4chan meme.
The devs promised to remove it after somebody pointed it out to them on reddit but uh

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Wow, so success means something can't possibly be racist? Dang

Didn't know that. Cool to learn

Guess you Showed Me

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You weenies don't do this poo poo in the thread, please.

If I have an extra point I usually take friendly, not because I'm afraid I'll light my dudes on fire, but because it also keeps my own allies from slapping me in the back of the head and killing me. Another pro-pick is to take a cleaver in an empty weapon slot you can throw it at someone or if you get disarmed. Or make your pants fancier.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Only ever the fanciest of pants.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I almost got the fuckin' landschnect pants I'm so, hyped, I got like 8k saved up right now to buy the full set.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've been contemplating the opened gambeson collar just to look like a complete doofus.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't have the open one, but I have the closed one. You can paint it with stripes.

Gambeson Collar is a bold fashion statement.

e: I think the huntsman premade has the open one on. He looks like a doofus, so checks out lol

Orv
May 4, 2011
It looks great with some of the heavy helmets. Just a complete mismatch, like some kind of confused douche vampire.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Goodplayer and community manager guy Jax talked a little bit on stream about hanging on to a fast weapon like a dagger to finish people off after getting a big-damage headshot or similar. Maybe worth carrying one around with big heavy weapons like waraxe/maul/exe sword since you can bring people to super low HP with just one hit and then potentially finish them off with a dagger poke.
Can confirm a 1 point shortsword becomes a close quarters blender even for my casual rear end when I'm bringing a bardiche (When I'm not shoehorning in the Arming Sword)

"Oh no, I'm indoors and seven people are here!... Why am I not dead yet? WHY AM I GETTING KILLS?"

That and the proud tradition of botching a headshot attempt for a heavy torso hit with the maul, and then tickling them to death with a baby sword after they turn around expecting a big slow boys brawl.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TorakFade posted:

Same. Fireproof is pretty good until people stop abusing firebombs, but you can just not walk into the fire, and if you're constantly moving as you should you won't be caught in it that much :shrug:

This is the kind of advice that seems very fine and sensible until every enemy team you run into's got at least two jackasses packing 2-3 firebombs who are really good at setting up boxes of fiery death. Or even worse, the opposite.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The only thing I can't get over about this game is their claim that it's supposed to be a realistic war game which is such a blatantly obvious lie that I can't figure out if it's supposed to be a joke.

Game is still fun in an arcade way though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rynoto posted:

The only thing I can't get over about this game is their claim it's supposed to be a realistic war game which is such a blatantly obvious lie that I can't figure out if it's supposed to be a joke.

Game is still fun in an arcade way though.

That's more just marketing speak I think, they absolutely acknowledge that the fun is more important than the realism. (Especially in relation to the nerds screaming about wimminz in dey vidjo gamez.)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Orv posted:

That's more just marketing speak I think, they absolutely acknowledge that the fun is more important than the realism. (Especially in relation to the nerds screaming about wimminz in dey vidjo gamez.)

Well yeah of course it's just marketing. It's just incredibly dishonest marketing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Lol, who cares no video game is realistic.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It's not supposed to be a goddamn simulator but it's still realistic in relation to poo poo like For Honor. Get over it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else get very inconvenient stuttering off and on? I run a GTX 1060 so it's pretty decent and the game generally runs smooth but even in smaller populated servers I get these hiccups that always seem to hit at just the wrong time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm running the same card but I'm not getting that issue, so it may not be a gpu problem? If you haven't updated your drivers, do so, and if you have, try rolling them back an update or two? That's usually the first thing I do.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I had that happen a couple nights ago and nothing I did fixed it but it didn't seem to be happening for any reliable or sensible reason. Hasn't happened since either. i5 6600k/1070.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

just pulled off my first hard 1v2 THIS GAME loving RULES

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Wife wanted to join but no female characters means a lost sale.

It’s odd that nerds are so determined to cut off their nose to spite their face.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Wife wanted to join but no female characters means a lost sale.

It’s odd that nerds are so determined to cut off their nose to spite their face.

The devs have said that female characters are incoming, just not in the game quite yet. It's prompted a lot of nerd rage for some reason. There's even going to be an option to hide all the women and replace them with men to protect your delicate nerd eyes from seeing a woman for the first time in 5 years.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Do keep in mind that this is a small dev team that didn't pull huge numbers off of their kickstarter, they didn't get picked up by some AAA dev to give them millions for free, and didn't put the game into early access to generate a lot more income during development (only sell a couple of keys a couple of times to get some new blood into testing).

The skin tones thing is all over the place but female character models are not only coming, but they're partially in the game right now (they don't have actual models, just eyes, teeth, and the armor are all terribly rigged to the WIP skeletons, and you can't even get in-game with them, only preview them in the loadouts menu after editing an INI file)

The lack of female character models seems to legitimately be an issue with manpower and funding, not because the devs hate women or whatever. Making an entirely new skeleton that matches the animations to the point where you don't get some kind of advantage in this game where small movements and turns and pixels worth of position actually matters, as well as reskinning and possibly remodeling a bunch of armor and making new faces and hair and all of that is a lot more work than some people realize.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I haven't even unlocked the Zweihander yet to put into my own loudouts but dang I've had a lot of fun taking them from enemy corpses in Frontline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'd like some kind of UI element that tells me what I unlock when I level up. Just now discovering a bunch of colors I didn't use to have.