Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

I enjoyed the first one for its simplicity. I stopped playing the second one because 1) the dad cutscene and the "nazi lady screams at obese daughter" were loving ridiculous and 2) the two to three levels I played to get through cutscenes were boring and reliant on a trash cover system.

In the first game I knew I wanted to kill the bad guys because they were nazis. I didn't need additional, ridiculous reasons like fat-shaming or whatever the point of that mother/daughter interaction was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

It's cool how you finally, finally get to play and shoot things and you're loving wheelchair bound and can't take more than a single bullet. Very cool

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I really like the first one's combat but the second one is all jacked up for some reason. The enemies are super lethal, there was a courthouse fight where i had to drop the difficulty because you just start with no weapons and they all blast your rear end in a top hat from all angles

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

StabMasterArson posted:

It's cool how you finally, finally get to play and shoot things and you're loving wheelchair bound and can't take more than a single bullet. Very cool

That's actually my kink

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Wolfenstien reboot is all around pretty bad tbh. I have no idea why people like it so much. Especially since Doom reboot came out and it was 100 times better.

there was never a reboot. It's just BJ killing nazis. All day everyday

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They are like, the textbook definition of a reboot.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

They are like, the textbook definition of a reboot.

you mean Nazis? I agree, they never have new ideas

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

New Order was great. Awesome mix of stealth and balls out combat. Cool little dialogue schemes. Atmosphere really hit it up.

New Colossus sucked. They took away stealth, halved health, increased enemy damage and took away hit indicators. So you just constantly died with no idea why. And the cut scenes didn’t work as background story, they were invasive.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Also all the level in New Colossus felt very claustrophobic, and BJ's constant mumbling to himself with nihilistic thoughts didn't help anything either.

Killing Nazi's should be fun dammit, not depressing.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The level design was terrible. The first game has corridors but with spaced out areas the drove you forward; the second game was just hallways with no sense of where to go. Being unable to find your way forward is so frustrating, couple that with once you go forward a guy shoots you from behind and you die before you know what happened, and you’re gonna have a bad time. All the bad decisions worked together to compound how bad they were

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Yeah it's bad, I couldn't finish it, don't know how you mess up shooting nazis but it just made me want to play Doom'16 again.
The first one was better, it had the guy from the A-team carrying rest of the boring cast and it knew not to have stealth or cutscenes or exposition not overstay its welcome (some bits still dragged though).
From what I played this one was just area after area of alarm officers and too long cutscenes and combat that kills you too fast if you try not to use the broken stealth. They still haven't fixed the audio balance so everything is very quiet.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 6, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Savage For The Winjun posted:

Metal gear solid 2 is the best metal gear

the best metal gear is metal gear solid VR Missions

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MGS2 VR Mode > MGS1 VR Mode.

I wish they had revisited the concept.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Savage For The Winjun posted:

Metal gear solid 2 is the best metal gear

Metal Gear??

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tiberium is actually a pretty interesting plot device and one that makes sense for a RTS; the introduction of a miracle material with which you can make an army's worth of materiel in a matter of hours and isn't just plentiful but actively growing.

no it's not. It's a lovely substitute for Spice from Dune. the whole RTS genre trope of "send out your harvesters to collect resources, then bring them back to base" only makes sense in the context of Dune.

that's why rts games don't exist any more and were replaced by tower defense

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The harvester/resource building stuff makes sense though, it creates a vulnerable part of your base that leaves you open to attrition.

RTS was just a very messy genre with three strains: squad style (no or minimal bases and just a group of units), starcraft style (which kept bases but made turtling impossible and kept maps small and focused on micro of individual units), and grand style (like supreme commander with lots of units and the possibility of turtling and long matches).

The first and second style more or less morphed into modern MMO's and TD games, the third style died out because after Supreme Commander, making bigger RTS'es no longer made sense (see Planetary Annihilation, a crappy game where you lose oversight over everything). The gameplay also was difficult to improve because grand style RTS focuses on fielding large masses of units and building turrets and stuff and there's only so much you can do with that while maintaining balance. It's hard to imagine a game that's more complex than Supreme Commander, while also being more playable, but it's also hard to imagine a game that scales down the experience because having a giant gently caress off map full of large armies of units is the whole point. It just had nowhere to go. The battles were also too long for the modern multiplayer culture.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 6, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doesn't help that high-level competitive RTS play is likened to fighting games because the tactics and meta is basically solved or at least pretty set and it's a matter of who can click the mouse and hit the hotkeys fast enough, it seems like.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

The harvester/resource building stuff makes sense though, it creates a vulnerable part of your base that leaves you open to attrition.

The power plant system was good in that regard too, and I guess warcraft had the system where collecting wood removed the natural walls around your base slowly.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

Tiberian Sun was good

Zzulu posted:

Eh it was okayish

I’m not sure if this is a popular or unpopular opinion, but I kind of hated Tiberian Sun? I seem to remember that when it finally came out people largely regarded it as a pretty major disappointment (I don’t know if I made that up in my mind because that’s how I felt and that’s how all of my friends who played the game also felt), but based on posts I’ve read about the game, Goons seem to think it’s the best game in the series for some reason? It’s too bad, because I like a lot of the game’s future-war-in-decaying-society aesthetics, and I’ll always enjoy all the hammy over-acting in the cutscenes, but actually playing the game is a complete slog because everything about it is sooooooooooo goddamned slooooooooooooooooooow. They hadn’t yet figured out that having to track down and destroy every last enemy sprite on the map was extremely unfun game design—I remember trying to figure out how to get a mission to end after I had destroyed every building and unit on the map, only to find out that I had to destroy every single laser fence post to complete the level. gently caress you, Tiberian Sun.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Cool soundtrack and some creatively designed units/creatures/ tiles though.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Sheen Sheen posted:

but actually playing the game is a complete slog because everything about it is sooooooooooo goddamned slooooooooooooooooooow.

Yeah, my main complaint with Tiberian Sun was that they beefed up the health of all units, especially infantry which no longer could be killed in one hit like every other game in the series. This really slowed down the gameplay and shifted it more towards something like Warcraft.

C&C is at its best when you are evaporating entire armies in seconds with crazy weapons, not long drawn out skirmishes that require careful positioning.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 6, 2019

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
They also decided to increase map sizes while cutting unit movement speed, which made everything take much longer than it needed to. Moving your army over to the part of the map where the enemy base was located took for-loving-ever. This was most frustrating with GDI’s jet pack infantry—I would argue that when most people think of jet packs, they think of zipping around the skies at breakneck speed like the Rocketeer or Iron Man, but if you worked at Westwood in the late 90s, you probably equated jet packs with inching around at a goddamned snail’s pace.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I do remember enjoying my playthrough of the Nod campaign though since the Nod mobile artillery unit was so absurdly broken at launch.

They had massive range and damage and also caused a deformation in the terrain where the shells hit. So all you had to do was build like 6 of them in the middle of your base and you were pretty much immune to ground attacks since if they didn't outright kill what they hit, they created such big craters in the ground that left the enemy troops basically stuck inside.

Of course they were patched soon after and made almost useless.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rutibex posted:

no it's not. It's a lovely substitute for Spice from Dune. the whole RTS genre trope of "send out your harvesters to collect resources, then bring them back to base" only makes sense in the context of Dune.

that's why rts games don't exist any more and were replaced by tower defense

Does Frostpunk count as a RTS or is it some other hosed up mashing of words? Obviously it doesn't play like C&C or whatever but it's a very good game

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Frostpunk is an interesting mashup of RTS and city builder. It's great.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

frostpunk is really good but it needs about twice as much campaign as it currently has to count as a feature length rts

good demo though

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah that's probably my only complaint. Once you get the hang of things there really isn't much more of a challenge other than balancing coal and heat, and maybe workshops/medical facilities.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The dad stuff in New Colossus would've been a lot better if BJ's father was someone who treated the minorities in his town like people and even hired them, which would've made the Blazkowicz family targets of harassment from the more racist neighbors and when BJ eventually returns to Texas, he finds out his father and coworkers formed their own little militia where they're on the run from Nazi hit squads and you get to partake in some good old-fashioned father-son bonding by shooting Nazis with lever-actions and six-shooters while on horseback (because it's Texas)

Some shmuck on a comedy forum came up with a much more fun concept of Cowboys vs Nazis but instead we got "generic racist dad"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The part where the main character is beheaded live on national TV, and a flying robot catches his head before it falls into a pit of fire, carries it through a series of tunnels, and reattaches it to a new body before the head dies, is the single most batshit bonkers moment in video game history. If that wasn't bad enough, this also extremely conveniently cures him of the wasting illness he's been fighting the whole game.

Also the part where he hallucinates escaping the courtroom and then literally cries to his imaginary dead mother was loving awful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Disney should give the Simpsons license to Platinum.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The whole getting your head chopped off thing was so weird I liked it. It was one of the only things I liked about it. The second one had a more entertaining story than the first in general, but it just all around felt like it was trying way too hard and it ended up being dumb.

I don't really care about the stories though. The thing that I couldn't stand about either of those games is that they can't seem to decide if they want to be arena shooters or plodding story driven shooters and the end result makes the gameplay feel super clumsy and irritating. They throw all these enemies at you and expect you to run all over the place, but the level design is super cluttered and there is poo poo to get stuck on everywhere. I found myself dying to dumb poo poo way more in that game than most. And it wasn't in a fun, challenging way either. Just felt like the level design sucked. Especially in the second one. Also, despite being a totally linear game it was super easy to get lost imo.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Remember that time wolfenstein made you shoot your dog

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The part where the main character is beheaded live on national TV, and a flying robot catches his head before it falls into a pit of fire, carries it through a series of tunnels, and reattaches it to a new body before the head dies, is the single most batshit bonkers moment in video game history. If that wasn't bad enough, this also extremely conveniently cures him of the wasting illness he's been fighting the whole game.

Also the part where he hallucinates escaping the courtroom and then literally cries to his imaginary dead mother was loving awful.

the bloodspattered pregnant topless Nazi grenade/machine gun murdering girlfriend scene had a certain grindhouse je ne sais quoi

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hm, I forgot about that. I guess Wolf 2 did have some pretty good poo poo in it.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
The best RTS is Pikmin

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

sebmojo posted:

the bloodspattered pregnant topless Nazi grenade/machine gun murdering girlfriend scene had a certain grindhouse je ne sais quoi

Oh yeah, I definitely got a bonerlaugh out of that scene

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh yeah also, how could I forget the part where you go to Venus to audition for a movie directed by an elderly, heavily demented adolf hitler who, among other things, pukes all over the place and pisses in a champagne bucket

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I kinda liked that Necrovision game better than the new Wolf stuff.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Private Cumshoe posted:

The best RTS is Pikmin

Not emptyquoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Havent played latest one but whatever the one before that one was okay but got old kinda fast felt like enemies were super bullet spongy by the end of the game like I think it was last boss I just couldnt kill because the whole time I thought there had to be some gimmick I was missing to the point I looked it up and find out that lol nope just gotta shoot him a bazillion times