Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

I've had plex working for years like this: open plex > open vpn > remote access works.

Now it doesn't work anymore and nothing I can do will make it work. The best anyone can get is an "indirect" connection and that seems like poo poo.

Nothing changed. :( I've been trying to get it to work for like 3 hours and nothing seems to fix it. It works for 5-10 minutes and then it goes back to being poo poo.

Did your public IP change, by chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It works absolutely fine w/o the vpn on, just when I turn it on it breaks, now.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Nettle Soup posted:

It works absolutely fine w/o the vpn on, just when I turn it on it breaks, now.

Is your VPN taking over your entire network connection now? Because your VPN is the problem. You need to enable split horizon in the VPN and specify what traffic goes where.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah seems that way, I switched the vpn I was using to one with more options, and now it works half the time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

VPNs often feel like a hindrance, I can see why people like having them in place but it’s just another layer of complication to networking (always the most stress inducing part of computing).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Can anyone doing Plex TV speak to using a HD Homerun over WiFi? I’ve been mulling over getting one and hooking it up to Plex, but I think I’d need to put it in our attic to maximize reception. I don’t particularly want to run wires up there, but my router is close enough that the 5gz band should work through the ceiling.

Edit - I’m getting a bit of conflicting info on whether or not the Homerun has WiFi built in. If it doesn’t, has anyone used something like a RasPi as a repeater? I have a few extra lying around that could be put to use.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 5, 2019

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Warbird posted:

Can anyone doing Plex TV speak to using a HD Homerun over WiFi? I’ve been mulling over getting one and hooking it up to Plex, but I think I’d need to put it in our attic to maximize reception. I don’t particularly want to run wires up there, but my router is close enough that the 5gz band should work through the ceiling.

Edit - I’m getting a bit of conflicting info on whether or not the Homerun has WiFi built in. If it doesn’t, has anyone used something like a RasPi as a repeater? I have a few extra lying around that could be put to use.

HD homerun over WiFi sucks. Lots of buffering, even if your HD homerun is hardwired to the switch.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Internet Savant posted:

HD homerun over WiFi sucks. Lots of buffering, even if your HD homerun is hardwired to the switch.

I'm going to bet your WiFi is the problem here.

I use hd homerun over WiFi all the time.. On a Shield, a old Nexus player, and 2 computers. All over WiFi with no buffering, drop outs, etc.. the homerun is wired however. At the time I bought mine a WiFi homerun was not available.

ATSC streams from the homerun cap at 19mbps. Long as your WiFi network can manage that your fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

stevewm posted:

ATSC streams from the homerun cap at 19mbps. Long as your WiFi network can manage that your fine.

Funnily enough this is useful info for me too. I’m trying to move my HDHR to another room and use powerline adapters and wasn’t sure if my results were due to bad signal (expected where I am) or the not brilliant speeds I get from powerline.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So hold on, do the HDHR boxes have WiFi or not? I grabbed this and it seems to be hardwire to LAN only. Is there a different model I should get instead?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Warbird posted:

So hold on, do the HDHR boxes have WiFi or not? I grabbed this and it seems to be hardwire to LAN only. Is there a different model I should get instead?

Their page is quite confusing, but no none of their boxes have Wifi built in. They all need to be connected via Ethernet.

They say "works on wifi" on their page, because it will work fine with the client being on Wifi. Though they do recommend the clients be on 5Ghz 802.11ac.

If your wifi, regardless of band, can manage at least 20Mbps steady (might be challenging for 2Ghz in some situations), then it should work just fine.

Some of the models have a h.264 transcoder built in, this cuts the bandwidth to clients greatly, only about 6Mbps max. Can also help you use it on clients that don't support MPEG2 natively like Roku (via the Roku Media Player app)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Thanks for clearing that up. Their choice of wording could be a bit better.

Coming off of that, is the Plex Media Server going any repackaging of the HDHR stuff? I would assume so if you’re using it as a means to watch this content remotely. I also didn’t realize that cable content was an option. I assume you’d have to have a dedicated tuner with a cable card slot for that to work?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Is there any media inspection software that can tell me how much disk space each a/v stream within a given container takes up? I've been transcoding DVD rips for a long time as I've repeatedly mentioned in this thread, but I have no idea how much space the video and each audio track take up. I'm trying to compress some HD files that are like 40 GB each, and they have about a half dozen DTS tracks each but I have absolutely no idea where to start because I don't know how much space each component is consuming.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Warbird posted:

Thanks for clearing that up. Their choice of wording could be a bit better.

Coming off of that, is the Plex Media Server going any repackaging of the HDHR stuff? I would assume so if you’re using it as a means to watch this content remotely. I also didn’t realize that cable content was an option. I assume you’d have to have a dedicated tuner with a cable card slot for that to work?

Yes, it works remotely. Uses the Plex transcoder to make the video fit whatever your client can support.

As for the cable card stuff. i have never messed with any of that. So can't help you there. It does look like they have a CableCard accepting model though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Good stuff. I assume streaming has been rolled out to pretty much everything by now. I’m eager to play around with this thing once it comes in.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

KingKapalone posted:

I installed the Trakt plugin for Plex. Is it going to start looking through everything I've watched and update that or is it just things going forward?

I asked this last page and was told to "Click Plugins - Trak.tv - Sync -Full to do a catch-up." but those aren't options I see in the plugin. Anyone else able to check?

Also, I share access to my server to people with their own logins. Trakt is picking up what they watch and adding it to my trakt account. That seems really odd and obviously not ideal. Any settings to fix that?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Atomizer posted:

Is there any media inspection software that can tell me how much disk space each a/v stream within a given container takes up? I've been transcoding DVD rips for a long time as I've repeatedly mentioned in this thread, but I have no idea how much space the video and each audio track take up. I'm trying to compress some HD files that are like 40 GB each, and they have about a half dozen DTS tracks each but I have absolutely no idea where to start because I don't know how much space each component is consuming.

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

:unsmith: well that only took 2 days of fiddling.

Now to never touch it or make eye contact with it, in case it breaks again...

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Weird, mine's been red forever but it still works anyway. I find not questioning it to be the best policy.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
In the new Plex layout (this is on an ATV4) what is the way to force a refresh of the content for your view?

In our TV shows last night we were missing two new episodes listed that were there if you went out to the Main section and saw the recordings in the “what’s new” row, so Plex clearly knows about them, but they weren’t in TV Shows until we dorked around with some filters than turned them off; there’s almost no way that’s how it is supposed to be done.

In the layout a few weeks ago you could go to the top menubar and click “Refresh” and everything would show up.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Yes I know there's a home networking/storage thread but I just wanted to ask a quick question.

To those running synology at home. What is the max I can do? if I use 4 8TB drive then that means I would have 32TB of storage but no backup, right? But if one drive fails, I just need to replace and let it rebuild?

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 8, 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bonzo posted:

Yes I know there's a home networking/storage thread but I just wanted to ask a quick question.

To those running synology at home. What is the max I can do? if I use 4 8TB drive then that means I would have 32TB of storage but no backup, right? But if one drive fails, I just need to replace and let it rebuild?

If you wanted to just replace it and let it "rebuild," that involves basically setting aside a certain drive or set of drives to act as redundant. Say you want 1 drive of redundancy, so if one fails you can do as you described. That would give you 24 TB of usable space. This is also known generally as RAID-5, although there are other similar technologies out there that do a similar thing.

Unfortunately, as drives have gotten larger, the chance of a second drive dying during a "rebuild" have increased a lot. This is where having 2 drives as a redundancy, RAID-6, or other technologies, have become the more recommended route if redundancy is something you care about. You can also look at things like RAID-10 if you are going to have a small number of even drives, as with 4 drives RAID-10 and RAID-6 give you the same usable space.

Redundancy is more for availability than anything else. It is not a backup and it will not ensure that your data is safe. If you are on a budget, it is more important that you back up your data than it is to add redundancy. Is it going to suck if your Plex server and data is down for a few days while you put in a new drive and restore from backup? Yes. But it's going to suck less than losing it all because you decided to do RAID-5 with no backups and you had a disk fail with another one failing during rebuild. Or if you get hit with crypto and redundancy doesn't help you, etc., etc.

Here is a RAID calculator to help with the math - https://www.synology.com/en-global/support/RAID_calculator

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bonzo posted:

I would, at minimum use SHR so you get 24tb of storage, and 1 drive of redundancy, meaning you can lose one drive at a time and still be able to rebuild. Though be aware, the rebuild process is LONG as your data is at more risk until it’s finished. I think my last rebuild took a week of constant read/write and I only use 4tb drives.

RAID isn’t a backup, so I pay for an offsite service for family photos and such. I’m ok with the rebuild risk for movies and such.

SHR is nice because if you start getting larger drives later on, you can integrate them into the pool.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

eddiewalker posted:

I would, at minimum use SHR so you get 24tb of storage, and 1 drive of redundancy, meaning you can lose one drive at a time and still be able to rebuild. Though be aware, the rebuild process is LONG as your data is at more risk until it’s finished. I think my last rebuild took a week of constant read/write and I only use 4tb drives.

RAID isn’t a backup, so I pay for an offsite service for family photos and such. I’m ok with the rebuild risk for movies and such.

SHR is nice because if you start getting larger drives later on, you can integrate them into the pool.

yeah I'm not too worried about backup. I mainly just want to stop daisy chaining USB drives to save some room.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

That is a really long time. Linux and Synology do some (in my opinion) boneheaded defaults for mdraid resync of throttling it. Go in to the Synology screen and add a 0 to every number, and turn off plex (torrents, etc) while waiting on the resync and it will go much faster because it won't spend time being interrupted by other I/O. If you want to use plex in the interim turn it on / off as needed. I think it took <24hrs for my 3TB disk to rebuild and it is more or less linear time for things like this. Which CPU is yours? Mine is a Intel Atom CPU C2538 @ 2.40GHz.

You are correct though that large raid pools and large disks have made things take a lot longer to get back to full resiliency, but not much more than linearly for a low utilization array. (Parity requires a block from every disk to calculate the data, so it takes longer if your array is even lightly used as you spend a lot of time waiting on data and performing the calculation.)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

H110Hawk posted:

That is a really long time. Linux and Synology do some (in my opinion) boneheaded defaults for mdraid resync of throttling it. Go in to the Synology screen and add a 0 to every number, and turn off plex (torrents, etc) while waiting on the resync and it will go much faster because it won't spend time being interrupted by other I/O. If you want to use plex in the interim turn it on / off as needed. I think it took <24hrs for my 3TB disk to rebuild and it is more or less linear time for things like this. Which CPU is yours? Mine is a Intel Atom CPU C2538 @ 2.40GHz.

You are correct though that large raid pools and large disks have made things take a lot longer to get back to full resiliency, but not much more than linearly for a low utilization array. (Parity requires a block from every disk to calculate the data, so it takes longer if your array is even lightly used as you spend a lot of time waiting on data and performing the calculation.)

*shrugs* My “Synology” is an HP N54L. Maybe it wasn’t a full week, but I definitely remember it taking a number of days. That was back on DSM 4 or 5. I think I saw there are some disk speed options available now on DSM6.

Violator
May 15, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

*shrugs* My “Synology” is an HP N54L. Maybe it wasn’t a full week, but I definitely remember it taking a number of days. That was back on DSM 4 or 5. I think I saw there are some disk speed options available now on DSM6.

Yeah, when I loaded up my Synology last year with 8 8TB drives it took several days per drive until I found a setting that you could select that would speed up the process at the degradation of normal operational performance. I did that until it was done and then switched it back to defaults. I think it cut my initial processing time in half.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Was that color mapping issue on the Shield TV client ever fixed? I'm getting an LG OLED TV in the next few weeks and wondering if I should bother installing the Plex client on Web OS or just stick with my Shield. It's my understanding that the Plex WebOS app is fine but doesn't directplay as much as the Shield but that the Netflix, Youtube and Amazon Prime apps are better on Web OS itself but correct me if I'm wrong.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nairbo posted:

Was that color mapping issue on the Shield TV client ever fixed? I'm getting an LG OLED TV in the next few weeks and wondering if I should bother installing the Plex client on Web OS or just stick with my Shield. It's my understanding that the Plex WebOS app is fine but doesn't directplay as much as the Shield but that the Netflix, Youtube and Amazon Prime apps are better on Web OS itself but correct me if I'm wrong.

I have an LG OLED and a variety of file types on my plex server and it has not failed to play a single file via direct play. my server is not fast enough to transcode so I would know.

it plays HEVC/h265 content without a problem.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Nairbo posted:

Yes, the Shield now supports colorspace switching and they fixed some of the bugs with incorrect rec.709 on certain TVs (like the LG OLEDs). Just make sure you are fully up to date with the Shield OS and Plex client.

The only thing the WebOS apps will do over the Shield is Dolby Vision (the Shield doesn't support it) which you may or may not care about. Personally I think HDR10 and DV are virtually identical when it comes to streaming content from, for example, Netflix but YMMV.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

KingKapalone posted:

I asked this last page and was told to "Click Plugins - Trak.tv - Sync -Full to do a catch-up." but those aren't options I see in the plugin. Anyone else able to check?

Also, I share access to my server to people with their own logins. Trakt is picking up what they watch and adding it to my trakt account. That seems really odd and obviously not ideal. Any settings to fix that?

Last time I ran that plugin, I didn't see any. It's a big reason I stopped using it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So using my 16gb Shield as my server is really doing a job on my paltry amount of storage. Is there a way I can offload those server files onto the NAS which stores all the content? It will only let me select internal system or internal user in this setting in the menu.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

codo27 posted:

So using my 16gb Shield as my server is really doing a job on my paltry amount of storage. Is there a way I can offload those server files onto the NAS which stores all the content? It will only let me select internal system or internal user in this setting in the menu.

I think you can only migrate the Plex app data to either an adopted storage source, or an external storage device: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4663/~/use-external-storage-for-plex-media-server-app-data — pointing/moving the app data folder to a NAS isn't possible on a Shield to my knowledge. Don't even think that's possible on normal installations.

Not sure if there's any other options since I don't own a Shield myself.

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010

codo27 posted:

I used this guide: https://support.plex.tv/articles/220391808-media-storage-options-for-nvidia-shield/ it has the steps on adding network storage near the bottom.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oh, thought they wanted to migrate the the Plex app data folder, not their media files. Whoops.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No, the content is on the NAS, I just want to move the server app data which is 5.4gb for some reason. I'm gonna gonna have to pick up a flash drive to mount to the thing I guess

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of storage, does anybody have a preferred encrypted backup based in a cloud? I know Backblaze is popular but all my drives are mapped and I don't think they like that. A lot of my blu ray rips are on a USB external and that would sure suck if I lose it. I think overall my collection is around 4TB currently.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Tim Whatley posted:

Speaking of storage, does anybody have a preferred encrypted backup based in a cloud? I know Backblaze is popular but all my drives are mapped and I don't think they like that. A lot of my blu ray rips are on a USB external and that would sure suck if I lose it. I think overall my collection is around 4TB currently.

What OS are the mapped drives on? I use rclone on my linux server to backup all of our stuff to backblaze. Works well and I just tossed the commands in a script that is run daily by cron.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Nairbo posted:

I actually have a brand new Shield hooked up to my LG OLED and believe it or not, I like the one built into the TV better. I use my Shield on my projector and living room and bedroom daily but when we're in the den watching the OLED I prefer the built in Plex. It seems way quicker with much less buffering (which makes no sense as the Shield there is hardwired and the TV uses WiFi). I think it has more to do with the Plex app being pretty meh on Android and just being built better on WEBOS for whatever reason. I also like the interface on the WEBOS one better as well. Keep in mind I'm a guy that just a year ago would nerd rage about TVs having boot up screens so for me to praise it says a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

calandryll posted:

What OS are the mapped drives on? I use rclone on my linux server to backup all of our stuff to backblaze. Works well and I just tossed the commands in a script that is run daily by cron.

Windows 10 Pro, so not sure if it'll work the same. I've heard of rclone but don't know much about it.