Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

quote:

Facebook is apparently also considering the use of its cryptocurrency to pay users a fraction of a penny each time they view an ad, according to the Journal. The rationale for this (or perhaps the Journal's explanation for it) seems a bit muddled, however.

The Journal says that paying users would "reward the kind of genuine interaction that Facebook, beset by bots and hate speech, has been trying to encourage." But it's not clear how these payments would discourage bots or hate speech. To the contrary, botmakers would inevitably ramp up their efforts to generate fake traffic with bots in order to earn Facebook's cryptocurrency.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

divabot posted:

The NY AG's response to Bitfinex is a cracking read. Sets out precisely what Bitfinex/Tether did and why it's a problem. Here's Amy Castor's summary, but you really should read the original.

i always read the full documents; they tend to contain way more comedy than any summary

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Weatherman posted:

:wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's time to admit mark did something wrong.

When em tee gox got hacked and lost all the money, he should have just given all the accounts a haircut and started making fake us dollars.

gox was like 85% of trading, every other exchange would have immediately accepted it, and it would be the world's default currency by now.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

divabot posted:

The NY AG's response to Bitfinex is a cracking read. Sets out precisely what Bitfinex/Tether did and why it's a problem. Here's Amy Castor's summary, but you really should read the original.

The funny bits are pages 3 through 10 (pages 8 through 15 of the PDF), and page 18 (page 23 of the PDF) onwards. The rest is legal arguments about what case law applies and other stuff that is no doubt important to this kind of court document, but not particularly funny.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
from the castor piece

quote:

This appears to indicate the OAG’s is looking into other exchanges, which makes sense, given it sent out a questionnaire to more than a dozen cryptocurrency exchanges in April 2018, requesting they disclose key information about their operations.

:yeshaha:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

quote:

Bitfinex later shifted to a new strategy. It engaged in “an undisclosed and conflicted transaction” to let Bitfinex dip even further into Tether’s reserves. The exchange took out a $900 million loan from Tether, secured by shares of iFinex—the parent company of both Tether and Bitfinex. OAG says there is little reason to believe the iFinex shares have any real value, especially in the event iFinex itself defaults.

lmfao

This is some galaxy brain financial finagling

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

norp posted:

Are you saying that my grandma isn't up to storing secure copies of private keys in her BIRDBATH?

quote:

Just make you really dig a deep hole. Scanning techs can still detect a few meters deep into the ground. After about 15m you are safe.

Don't worry how your grandkids will take it out. They'll have better tech in the future.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Write down your private key on a piece of paper and burn it. Your gandkids will have time machines to travel back in time and watch you do it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

having read that entire opposition motion, my favorite part is where they mock one of my favorite parts of bitfinex's motion to vacate: bitfinex basically said "yes, the law clearly applies to us in this situation and is backed by tons of previously decided cases. however, the law is bad and wrong and makes us sad, so the court obviously should completely ignore that law. those previously decided cases, by the way, were all decided incorrectly since, again, the law is clearly bad and wrong. you absolutely must ignore the law. pretend it doesn't exist. kthx"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
yes ive been accused of so called "crimes" but isn't the real crime the fact that things like theft and fraud are considered crimes? i rest my case

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Murder is the ultimate victimless crime, when you think about it. When you're done, there is no victim.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Paladinus posted:

Murder is the ultimate victimless crime, when you think about it. When you're done, there is no victim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caXeAMseve0

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Boxturret posted:

yes ive been accused of so called "crimes" but isn't the real crime the fact that things like theft and fraud are considered crimes? i rest my case

And that's pretty much Bitfinex's reply to this reply.

notice how they inexplicably fail to address the two pages of the NY AG recounting their extensive record of lies and bs

...!
Oct 5, 2003

My prediction. Take it or leave it. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 18 minutes ago by slvbtc

Scenario = 2008 style banking crisis 2.0.

Global economy will tank, realestate values will tank, auto sales will tank, bitcoin will rise.

People desperate to sell realestate will start accepting bitcoin as a last resort. Luxury car manufacturers will start accepting bitcoin as a last resort.

Once all realestate agencies and luxury vehicle dealerships are accepting bitcoin other items that do poorly in a deep recession will start being sold directly in bitcoin like hotel rooms, airfares, and luxury clothing as a last resort to keep their businesses alive.

Accepting bitcoin will become viewed of as a way for your business to escape the pain caused by a downfall in the economy.

As the recession ends and the world recovers it will be considered common place for bitcoin to be accepted and used in commerce.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

yeah selling to bitcoiners sure will be a thing struggling companies do, because bitcoiners are sure to want to spend their constantly rising bitcoins on things

...!
Oct 5, 2003

divabot posted:

And that's pretty much Bitfinex's reply to this reply.

notice how they inexplicably fail to address the two pages of the NY AG recounting their extensive record of lies and bs

they did that in their original motion but i don't see that in this new motion

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

...! posted:

Bitcoin: predicting the past and getting it :wrong:

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

My prediction. Take it or leave it. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 18 minutes ago by slvbtc

Global economy will tank, realestate values will tank, auto sales will tank, bitcoin will rise.

People desperate to sell realestate will start accepting bitcoin as a last resort. Luxury car manufacturers will start accepting bitcoin as a last resort.

even in their fantasies, merchants only accept bitcoin out of desperation.

never explained: why, when everything with actual utility is crashing, people will want to trade goods and services for magic beans that don't buy anything except the same thing they are selling

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

upon seeing everything else collapse people will rush to bcoin as a beacon of stability making the price go to the moooooonNN!N!N!!N1

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/MrBrendanJay/status/1125493748572545025

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
we're really stretching the limits of the phrase "well-known" if Milo qualifies

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
if milo invaded coinbase i would make at least a favourable reference to satoshi in the House of Commons

...!
Oct 5, 2003

[USA] I'm going to buy a house in the USA by bitcoin. What could go wrong?
(self.legaladvice)
submitted 2 days ago * by vostai

Hi guys, I don't know which sub should I post this so I post it here. Hope you guys don't mind.

My family is going to immigrate to the USA soon, so we'll sell our house and take the money to the US to buy a new house. An acquaintance of my dad said he'll buy our house in bitcoin. We from VN and our country doesn't accept crypto-currencies. My family doesn't know a single thing about bitcoin. The buyer suggested that he will give us a code/e-wallet that have the money in the same price as our house so we can buy a new house in the US. When we've done purchased a new house, my family will go back to VN and do the paper work with the buyer to transfer the land use right to him.

I just feel like something fishy in here. I don't know anything about buying a house in the US, epecially the paper work like tax, proof of legal money to buy an expensive property, etc... So can you guys somehow show me the risks I may have in this deal so I can explain to my family to avoid them? Thank you guys a lot, I'm very appreciated.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

so glad they didn't post that in r/bitcoin

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Yes, I am very appreciated, too.

I hope they don’t get scammed it’s Bitcoin, it’s always a scam.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

so glad they didn't post that in r/bitcoin

yeah he definitely posted it in the right place. the legal advice sub really drilled it in to him that it`s a scam

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Please HODL my bag

https://mobile.twitter.com/verge/status/1125491832689954820

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

what even is a "smart backpack"? lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BMan posted:

it was supposed to be several separate usb batteries, several usb ports so you could plug a lot of stuff into those batteries, and also a mobile hotspot where you provided your own sim card

also the expensive models would have kevlar shields and even more battery packs

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the perfect backpack for someone who has never used a backpack before or considered how heavy batteries are

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

"oh woe is me, my battery is nearly dead oh what will i do??"

a strange panting man bursts into the room. he trips, his heavy backpack hits him in the back of the head, killing him instantly. as he lies there his backpack starts to make a hissing noise before several loud pops are heard and the whole thing catches on fire.

the end

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Boxturret posted:

"oh woe is me, my battery is nearly dead oh what will i do??"

a strange panting man bursts into the room. he trips, his heavy backpack hits him in the back of the head, killing him instantly. as he lies there his backpack starts to make a hissing noise before several loud pops are heard and the whole thing catches on fire.

the end

love the backpack though

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
a backpack full of explosive batteries isn't something new.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BMan posted:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Celexi posted:

a backpack full of explosive batteries isn't something new.

but what if it used the battery power to mine bitcoin?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
it's the Uber for hiking - get paid to wander around nature*)

*) the garden outside your mum's basement

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

but what if it used the battery power to mine bitcoin?

and then used those bitcoins to buy more battery backpacks?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

...! posted:

and then used those bitcoins to buy more battery backpacks?

That's where this plan falls apart because you'll end up stabbed in some backlot as opposed to bebatterybackpacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
incompetent bitcoin criminals: the classic combination the thread craves:

https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2019/05/06/github-bitcoin-extortion-unsuccessful/