Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is it really that hard to implement a female model in a game like this though?

Like, if its some lanky beanpole peasant woman in armour I'm not sure how you'd even be able to tell it was a lady aside from facial features and voice.

Also not having skintone options is, uh, really weird. That's not hard to do at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Rynoto posted:

The only thing I can't get over about this game is their claim that it's supposed to be a realistic war game which is such a blatantly obvious lie that I can't figure out if it's supposed to be a joke.

Game is still fun in an arcade way though.

source your quotes

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Internet Kraken posted:

Like, if its some lanky beanpole peasant woman in armour I'm not sure how you'd even be able to tell it was a lady aside from facial features and voice.

Also not having skintone options is, uh, really weird. That's not hard to do at all.

Yes it is difficult. Skin tone part, no.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

You could easily tell by their chain mail bikinis

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Internet Kraken posted:

Making one model is easy but then they have to re-do all of the different armor options to fit the new character's skeleton.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

About the skin tone thing I agree there is a lack of sensitivity there, but we should try to understand. Eastern Europe (heck, Europe in general with the exception of the bigger countries like Germany, France and Spain) is 99% white and has been for its whole history, that does not excuse the lack of such a simple option in this day and age when you want to sell worldwide (especially in the USA) but I believe it is an honest oversight rather than malicious racism. People tend to get a bit too riled up about perceived racism/sexism imo (I remember this not being such a huge issue 10-15 years ago honestly, when videogame protagonist were all macho men with bulging muscles and womanizer attitudes... Again, not that we should go back to that, but Mordhau not having black people or women at launch is not the end of the world)

Game is good and fun, not being able to have a black or female avatar is not hampering your gameplay experience but only your "immersion", rather than yelling bloody murder ask nicely and the devs will probably listen and add the options you want, if it's a simple thing like skin tones I guess it would just be a quick patch, but let them fix bugs, server performance and balance first...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Skin tones aren't hard to do, yeah, but at the same time I could see them wanting to implement more facial feature variety as they introduce skin tones too. Jeff Brazil isn't going to just be Tom Sweden but with browner skin. Simply adding skin tones though is something they could easily start doing soon, if it's something that they're not working on already now that a lot of the week-one issues are starting to be sorted out. Not like the same dudes making character models are the same guys fixing the servers anyway lol

New character model is an absolute big deal, though. They've either got to create a new skeleton so the female character model looks more natural, which is going to be a ton of work since the game is very much balanced around animation timing and distance, and hit/hurtboxes being super accurate, or they can slap the female character model on the male skeleton and she'll look super weird and stretched out and terrible and no one wants that. And then there's the skinning of different armors. Maybe the plate armor doesn't need to be touched that much but there's a lot of stuff like loose and tight cloth that goes around the arms and legs, shoulderpads that would sit differently, etc.

But there's not much use in hand-wringing about female models yet. They absolutely are coming, and they're pretty far along.

still got some work though...

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 7, 2019

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, it looks like Chivalry windmill shenanigans are not quite stamped out yet. Played against a guy recently who still could do full 360s with a Zweihänder and basically broke the gently caress out of the animations, presumably by cranking his sensitivity to infinity. Extremely tricky to parry, and borderline impossible to play footsies against.

Also, sic semper horsedudes:
https://i.imgur.com/AWad7UC.mp4

Also also, the gore can be surprisingly gruesome at times :stare:
https://i.imgur.com/zGp4YJJ.mp4

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I noticed a guy doing some windmill stuff in duel servers today. It may be something the devs have to look at, there's supposed to be some sort of system in place that makes you do dramatically less damage after turning really wide.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Babe Magnet posted:

Not like the same dudes making character models are the same guys fixing the servers anyway lol

Wouldn't bet on that, with triternion being an 11 man team in total :v: also I did not think that putting black skin on white facial features would probably be even worse and racist than not having black skin at all

quote:

I see nothing wrong, release it now, I want to be that... thing and strike dreadful terror in my enemy's heart

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 7, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TorakFade posted:

Wouldn't bet on that, with triternion being an 11 man team in total :v: also I did not think that putting black skin on white facial features would probably be even worse and racist than not having black skin at all

I see nothing wrong, release it [i]now[/], I want to be that... thing and strike dreadful terror in my enemy's heart

It's a full morph face creator, you can already shape it however you want.

Adding something that complicated and then willingly choosing to limit the skin tones to 6 options is sus as hell in a niche genre thats already rife with white supremacy.

I'm not going to attribute it to malice yet but It's always gonna be in the back of mind until they fix it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I dunno, either I'm bad at it or mine's acting up (some angles won't let me move anything, I gotta rotate the whole head around) but no matter how hard I try and stretch and pull I can't seem to make anything that's not just British Peasant, Viking Man, Ugly British Peasant, or Vaguely Foreign But Not Too Foreign (and mostly just because of the mustache).

Like it seems to work like a full morph but you can't actually get a lot of morph going. Could just be a problem on my end though

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

I dunno, either I'm bad at it or mine's acting up (some angles won't let me move anything, I gotta rotate the whole head around) but I can't seem to make anything that's not just British Peasant, Viking Man, Ugly British Peasant, or Vaguely Foreign But Not Too Foreign.

Like it seems to work like a full morph but you can't actually get a lot of morph going. Could just be a problem on my end though

I didn't say it was a good full morph. You can have fun with it though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah but you said it in a way that sounds like you're trying to rebut our point about being unable to get rid of Caucasian facial features that would make other skin tones will awkward or just bad.

Oh well whatever sounds like we're all in agreement anyway. I sent a message to the community manager on the reddit to see if he'd heard anything about more skin tones, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got fiber so tested it out by streaming mord for like 3 hours :black101:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/421477089

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Holy poo poo, can you morph your face? Goes to show how much I care about that level of customization, I just slapped a beard on the default face, chose armor and clothing and called it a day :v: I will have to try to make some silly face later

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah grab the different parts. It works most of the time, a little. It's not great though lol. I just spam random until I find someone that only looks a little inbred and then give them dumb hair. 80% of my loadouts have the tonsure.

e: also new map incoming:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Taleworlds was a similarly small team almost a decade ago when they released mount and blade and they really smartly sidestepped all the problems by making it historical fantasy right out of the gate and just letting you be what you please.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah Mount and Blade owns, I can't wait to gift my grandchildren my Bannerlord preorder slip so they might one day be able to play it with their grandchildren

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Anyways even if they add all that I refuse to be satisfied until I can wear a big metal ostentatious foot tourney skirt instead of dumb cloth and viking leather ones.

Fun Game Science I proved empirically: If you try to go allwyte armor without any waist cloth at all you will be teamhit at least 3 times as much just because it leaves you pretty much no color at all except the tiny gaps in your legs that arent visible from the front.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

Anyways even if they add all that I refuse to be satisfied until I can wear a big metal ostentatious foot tourney skirt instead of dumb cloth and viking leather ones.

Fun Game Science I proved empirically: If you try to go allwyte armor without any waist cloth at all you will be teamhit at least 3 times as much just because it leaves you pretty much no color at all except the tiny gaps in your legs that arent visible from the front.

Armored mittens always crack me up.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I was surprised there are none in the game. Was hoping to cop a pair for my boxer build. Closest thing is chainmail mittens.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Perestroika posted:

So, it looks like Chivalry windmill shenanigans are not quite stamped out yet. Played against a guy recently who still could do full 360s with a Zweihänder and basically broke the gently caress out of the animations, presumably by cranking his sensitivity to infinity. Extremely tricky to parry, and borderline impossible to play footsies against.

I saw a player constantly doing 270° head height horizontal slices with no variation whatsoever with the executioner sword, almost certainly a macro. He got a ridiculous number of kills because people kept walking into it. They also died every time I ran into them because I crouch poke their legs to death, so far I have more luck getting multikills slicing peoples' leg off than going for heads.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've started to do Double Feints and man people just aren't prepared for that poo poo lol

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sharkopath posted:

For true value put a blue or red emblem on it too, since emblems don't change to match your team color.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

make everyone on the red team have blue blood

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Delacroix posted:

I saw a player constantly doing 270° head height horizontal slices with no variation whatsoever with the executioner sword, almost certainly a macro. He got a ridiculous number of kills because people kept walking into it. They also died every time I ran into them because I crouch poke their legs to death, so far I have more luck getting multikills slicing peoples' leg off than going for heads.

Going for the legs is pretty good, it seems no one with a custom loadout bothers to put more than 1 armor there, mostly 0

Also people don't expect you to aim low, most try to cover their head and torso and position their parry accordingly. I got quite a few kill with underhand attacks (that often hit the legs for obvious reasons)

So, how do you double feint? How do you actually chamber to feint to strike? I've read the Git Gud guide, but I am barely quick enough to hit Q before release to feint or to attack after a parry to get a riposte, I'd say I can do it about 50% of the time. Chaining multiple moves (chamber+feint, morph+feint, chamber+morph, feint to parry, etc) seems downright impossible to me.

I really, really suck at reflex based games (I'm more of a turnbased/strategy game player) but I have so much fun smashing people in the face with a hammer :unsmith:

Babe Magnet posted:

make everyone on the red team have blue blood

Red team = royalty
Blue team = peasantry

and now everyone is killing the wrong people because you can't make up who is who after a bit of blood is spilled

I like that, pretty historical

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 7, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Also also, the gore can be surprisingly gruesome at times :stare:
https://i.imgur.com/zGp4YJJ.mp4

My favorite thing ever in this game is in something like Frontline or Skirmish when a group of dudes is coming after you and you just haul off and blast the front-runner's skull into oblivion you can visibly see the players take a step back and see who wants to go first. It's gruesome as gently caress.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
This game is super fun but man do I need to git gud

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I get a whole lotta random kill notifications from nopants guys running over beartraps

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I love how fists shortcircuit the melee system, you can't block real weapons (you're welcome to try :v:) so you need to be ducking and weaving but you can hug someone and punch their lights out and there's very little they can do.

e: It's a natural fit for a grenadier loadout too.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 7, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
Kick, smash, :smug:

(When the game isn't dropping kick inputs which keeps happening to me.)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

is there a way to tell when you're riposting properly other than the slight time difference? i wish it shot out a bunch of sparks like in sekiro

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Farm Frenzy posted:

is there a way to tell when you're riposting properly other than the slight time difference? i wish it shot out a bunch of sparks like in sekiro

The crosshair dot thing in the center of the screen will have a hole in it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think I'm probably taking this a little too seriously when "3/3/3 Longsword only no perks" is a thought I had after a round of Frontline. It's conflicting, they've made this really cool first person fighting game with a ridiculous amount of complexity and while obviously no one is at fault for having fun their way I think I just want to get better at the game and being repeatedly murdered from behind by a naked dude with a maul and bloodlust is only funny so many times. I should probably just go live in duel servers but it'd be a shame to miss some of the weird moments of Frontline and also I suspect that, since I don't normally get like this, the kind of people that live in duel servers are probably lovely and weird. I certainly was as a teenager playing JKA duels.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 7, 2019

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I think they should just get rid of the blood lust perk. It’s not too super strong or anything but it encourages the dumb stuff like naked giant sword man windmill and doesn’t really add anything positive to the game.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Orv posted:

I think I'm probably taking this a little too seriously when "3/3/3 Longsword only no perks" is a thought I had after a round of Frontline. It's conflicting, they've made this really cool first person fighting game with a ridiculous amount of complexity and while obviously no one is at fault for having fun their way I think I just want to get better at the game and being repeatedly murdered from behind by a naked dude with a maul and bloodlust is only funny so many times. I should probably just go live in duel servers but it'd be a shame to miss some of the weird moments of Frontline and also I suspect that, since I don't normally get like this, the kind of people that live in duel servers are probably lovely and weird. I certainly was as a teenager playing JKA duels.

In my experience the folks on duel servers are by and large pretty polite and helpful. It's a big improvement over frontline where every game seems to have at least a handful of incredibly annoying adolescent nazis.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I feel like when you get people running away from 1v1s because they have a maul and no armor and only engaging with their team when they can backstab people something should probably be done about it. Otherwise I pretty much recognize that all my other gripes are currently just a lack of my own ability.

Gobblecoque posted:

In my experience the folks on duel servers are by and large pretty polite and helpful. It's a big improvement over frontline where every game seems to have at least a handful of incredibly annoying adolescent nazis.

Nice to know, I'll have to try and find a decent one in my region, it's always nice to have a regular set of people to duel against.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Orv posted:

In my experience, that is 110% true.

Also I agree about people who "exploit" or anyway game the system to minmax every advantage can get frustrating and annoying, especially in big chaotic games where you can't easily counter this kind of build in 1vs1. That is why I hope the community gets bigger and bigger, and we get enough "serious" "roleplay" servers where people just have fun and act normally rather than try to minmax everything to the bone and get angry if you don't bow before engaging or kick you for feinting or flip when you call them out on their lovely behaviors (every online game has plenty of these types, and they're the reason I prefer singleplayer games)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
My first impressions of the evening star were that it was a strictly worse maul / war axe... than I changed my grip.

Mixing up your grips with the high end weapons is like having extra weapons and it throws everyone off, even hardkore fightboys don't expect to get beheaded by a lightning fast short range mace-punch