Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The head of the Golden Company is loving "Harry Strickland" lol.

lololol YES I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He sells propane and propane accessories.

It's no wonder he doesn't like the dragons.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
rewatching the early stuff while I still have an HBO sub and wow Theon deserved to have his junk chopped off. what a little poo poo.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

He sells propane and propane accessories.

It's no wonder he doesn't like the dragons.

oh no mr strickland I’m burning in wildfire bwaaaaaahh

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Dragon flying straight. Gets hit from the front. A second later it gets hit from the side twice.

Cut to fleet of ships. Ships all in same location.

So how did they hit the dragon from two directions?

gently caress this show.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Waltzing Along posted:

Dragon flying straight. Gets hit from the front. A second later it gets hit from the side twice.

Cut to fleet of ships. Ships all in same location.

So how did they hit the dragon from two directions?

gently caress this show.

Euron's fleet was still teleporting in, so a few of the ships were out of position.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Lil Peeler posted:

What was the whole Victarion/Euron/Yara power triangle in the books? Wasn't it way more dynamic than this weak generic poo poo they're shoveling now?

They barely interact outside the kingsmoot but basically Asha/Yara is the new gen Ironborn who everyone's cool with but eww a girl leading!???, Victarion is the most Ironborn fucker alive in the most positive and negative ways possible (loves pirating, is badass with a volcano arm, and is incredibly stupid) and was all set to sweep the election, but Euron strutted in with a band of gimp freaks, a mountain of loot, and a dragon-binding horn that immolates whoever blows it and declares that he's going to find this dragon lady and gently caress her and everyone was all hell yeah. Asha did the side eye and slowly backed out of the room to be captured by Stannis and Victarion became Euron's errand boy and was sent to find Dany and thinks he can trick and beat the man who always tricks and beats him by loving her first? Or something? His plan isn't well thought out due to the intense stupidity aspect of his character but that's the gist of it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/total-war-players-are-baffled-by-the-tactics-used-in-game-of-thrones-battle-of-winterfell/

Lol this is a real article.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
He has almost nothing to work with and however they do Cleganebowl is going to be really stupid but Rory McCann is still so loving great

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

There are way worse articles on video game websites lol.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

thisthread.html

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

brugroffil posted:

When we left cersei in the books, it seemed like her world was collapsing because she surrounded herself with sycophants and refused to take real advice from anyone. The show followed that to a point, and then took a hard turn to every one of her ideas more or less working out

Lol

Well, to be fair, most of Gurm's arcs involve a character being a total moron high on their own farts, getting brutally cut down, and hardening the gently caress up as they learn to actually think things through. Jaime, Theon and Sansa are the big examples of this, but most characters go through some degree of this, and most of Jon an Tyrion's bonding in book one is about how they grew up to be decent folks because they spent their entire childhoods getting poo poo on.

The walk of shame was Cersei's evolve-or-die moment; the last chapter even has uncle Kevin gloating about her finally having been beaten into submission.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if anyone in Essos gives one gently caress about what is going on in Westeros now.

Even the Golden Company left their elephants at home lol. I bet "Harry Strickland" is just the official town idiot of Pentos or something that the Iron Bank paid to wear some armor and act thoughtful.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Laterite posted:

I wonder if anyone in Essos gives one gently caress about what is going on in Westeros now.

I was actually thinking about this today. Since Dany, her dragons, and just about every one of her trusted advisors left to Westeros, has Essos completely fractured and returned to its enslaving ways. The cultural shift she was demanding these people make would need a good decade of an iron-willed leader with the power of dragons behind her to keep opposition down. Instead, the second it was even close to stable she took the first boat she found to gently caress off to her true calling, which is kind of a dick move.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Daario was literally the only named character she left behind. Did the show ever mention how the cities she’d conquered and ditched before Mereen immediately got taken over by dudes like the Butcher King and went right back to slavin’? Because that sure wasn’t on her mind when she ditched them to go make more war.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Essos: mission_accomplished.jpg

It sure was handy that Urine's fleet was waiting in that exact place to strike, as there was absolutely no reason to suspect Dany would try to retake Dragonstone.

It's such horrible backwards writing. They obviously wanted to have the dragon get shot by Urine. So they wrote backwards from that point making Dany leave her army behind and sail off to Dragonstone with a tiny retinue, while Jon gets a plot armour trudge along the King's road for a few months.

They even sent Davos along with Jon, because having the one guy who literally spent years stealth-running ships in and out of Dragonstone for Stannis would have been problematic.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Like have Sansa be the one to suggest Dany goes to Dragonstone with a small raiding party, because Sansa has seen from Tyrion that Dany is incredibly susceptible to following godawful strategic plans.

Then with Dany and Jon a safe distance from each other, Sansa sends a raven to King's Landing telling Cersei exactly when and where to find Dany unprotected.

The show still gets it's dumb dragon-slaying moment, but at least there's now some backstabbing intrigue behind it instead of things just happening for no reason.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Every episode should begin with Davos saying

"Apologies for wha' you're abou'a see."

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It's Always Sunny in Westeros
The J.A.I.M.E. System

On my phone and for some reason Aviary kept moving the text as it saved.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 7, 2019

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

There is a goof in the next episode where 5 minutes of footage showing the cast and crew eating buckets of KFC was left in. It is easily the best part.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Book Euron also molested Victarion and raped Vic's wife on their wedding day forcing Vic to kill her. He also has a suit of Valyrian Steel armour or something and ties his brother Aeron to the prow of his ship. That last bit is a historical thing. Oh and invading the Shield islands, murdering the men and being monstrous with the women and children.

How do these people still exist? The other 6 kingdoms surely would get sick of the iron islander ways super fast and just depopulate the entire place. Burn all the trees too.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I had a good 2 hour talk with a friend in the pub the other day about this show. I said I though it had gone to poo poo whilst he was just happy things were happening. (Literally that Stewart Lee gag "Is it entertainment? I don't know... but something happened.) Though ultimately I'm enjoying it for the poo poo-show and he's just enjoying it.

Posted online that I though the show had gone downhill and 2 people blocked me on Facebook and I've been getting called alt-right and a misogynist. Because if there's one thing I hate more than bad writing, directing and acting... it's women? LoL. People online are weirdos.

Also has anyone else noticed this trend with people who vehemently defend the show?

They... write the show for the writers? Does that make sense?

Like the bit where Jon is shouting at the dragon, people are saying that's because the Night King fears John and sent the dragon to get in his way. How did they infer this from what happened? And if this was the case then why didn't the Night King stay at the back of his troops or just not enter the fray at all? Why go to bat for these writers at all? If you're a fan you think you'd be more critical than anyone but idk.

There were other arguments like this but I forgot them because that was the dumbest.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Drunken Baker posted:

I had a good 2 hour talk with a friend in the pub the other day about this show. I said I though it had gone to poo poo whilst he was just happy things were happening. (Literally that Stewart Lee gag "Is it entertainment? I don't know... but something happened.) Though ultimately I'm enjoying it for the poo poo-show and he's just enjoying it.

Posted online that I though the show had gone downhill and 2 people blocked me on Facebook and I've been getting called alt-right and a misogynist. Because if there's one thing I hate more than bad writing, directing and acting... it's women? LoL. People online are weirdos.

Also has anyone else noticed this trend with people who vehemently defend the show?

They... write the show for the writers? Does that make sense?

Like the bit where Jon is shouting at the dragon, people are saying that's because the Night King fears John and sent the dragon to get in his way. How did they infer this from what happened? And if this was the case then why didn't the Night King stay at the back of his troops or just not enter the fray at all? Why go to bat for these writers at all? If you're a fan you think you'd be more critical than anyone but idk.

There were other arguments like this but I forgot them because that was the dumbest.

the dragon getting in jon's way was fairly clear actually, i thought

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This season is bad, but this last episode was HORRIBLE.

The basic ideas themselves aren't terrible, but the execution is, and to me the mental image of Euron grinning at the loving gunner's seat of his fully automatic ballista as he noscope-360-MLG-PRO-headshots the dragon was just everything distilled into a perfect platonic moment of horrible poo poo.

Like Elevator Screamer says, there are a billion better ways to accomplish what they wanted here (Dany loses a dragon) without it feeling like ... I dunno, it immediately made me think of those bullshit RPG campaigns I had as a kid where the dungeon master was just a hostile little poo poo who lived only to foil the players' plans simply by going "nuh huh, the sheriff's henchman somehow perfectly knew what you were planning and has the perfect counter for it" without bothering to put any effort into it.

Just off the top of my head, if you wanted a better way to accomplish the same scene, how about this:

The Iron Fleet is moving in to block Dany's fleet from getting close to King's Landing, as should have been expected by everyone. This does not bother Dany because they have the dragons, the magic fleet killing weapons and is all according to plan. The fight begins and Dany starts to strafe the Iron Fleet with the dragons, blowing up some ships. But oh no, because she was rash and too hasty, the green dragon hasn't fully healed yet and is so slow in the air it's hit in the crossfire / Dany gets too into burning ships and stays hovering above the Iron Fleet for too long, allowing some ballista guy to actually hit the dragon and kill it.

It's just lazy and stupid writing, and as pedantic as these complaints might sound, this kind of poo poo immediately ruins my suspension of disbelief. As someone said, this is backwards writing: the writers wanted outcome X and because they are hacks and only have six episodes to work with they went with the quickest, easiest, dumbest solutions. Everything feels rushed and so god drat stupid.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Laterite posted:

Even the Golden Company left their elephants at home lol. I bet "Harry Strickland" is just the official town idiot of Pentos or something that the Iron Bank paid to wear some armor and act thoughtful.

Well some teenage girl used dragons and stolen unsullied plus dothraki to tear down the glorious slave cities, left uh, like 5000? Or so second sons there to rule and make sure the slavers don't take it all back. The infamous dothraki menace is completely gone minus Vaes Dothrak and their women and also the golden company has gone, but leave the great elephants behind.

Sounds like Essos is quite empty right now, I doubt they'd have an interest in what's happening in Westeros. Especially now that the 40 000 raping, pillaging and raiding barbarians are no longer doing all of this as their day job.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I mentioned the backwards writing about the Dothraki charge. They wanted to show this cool scene with the lights going out and so went backwards from there. But logic moves forwards, not backwards. And so the season is total poo poo.

They could do things backwards. But they are choosing the wrong things.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=HgVt_toaEzg and https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/blfyty/written_by_david_benioff_db_weiss/ are just dripping with thinly veiled contempt for the ending/season.

Some people might say "oh thats just British humor" but they know its a mess.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
For instance, you know how when you stand on the edge of a cliff and there is some small part of you wondering what it would be like to jump. Well the show runners should go to a cliff and when they get that thought, rather than ignoring it, they should think backwards and jump.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Collateral posted:

Book Euron also molested Victarion and raped Vic's wife on their wedding day forcing Vic to kill her. He also has a suit of Valyrian Steel armour or something and ties his brother Aeron to the prow of his ship. That last bit is a historical thing. Oh and invading the Shield islands, murdering the men and being monstrous with the women and children.

How do these people still exist? The other 6 kingdoms surely would get sick of the iron islander ways super fast and just depopulate the entire place. Burn all the trees too.

Did he molest Victarion, too? I thought he only molested Aeron.

And Euron is in no way a typical Greyjoy; he was literally banned from Westeros for being too much of a creep and murderer, and they have a real high bar for that. Not that the Iron Islanders are much better, but once you go down that road you start asking why nobody took a torch to the Twins or the Dreadfort and pretty soon you're culling the whole aristocracy.

Book Euron is a compelling villain because he knows more about the aSOIaF setting than any other villain, and it's clear the show is never going to explain why having a hold full of priests of every god being ironically tortured and praying for deliverance is somehow an advantage.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Epic disappointment. loving lol.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Elevator Screamer posted:

Essos: mission_accomplished.jpg

It sure was handy that Urine's fleet was waiting in that exact place to strike, as there was absolutely no reason to suspect Dany would try to retake Dragonstone.

It's such horrible backwards writing. They obviously wanted to have the dragon get shot by Urine. So they wrote backwards from that point making Dany leave her army behind and sail off to Dragonstone with a tiny retinue, while Jon gets a plot armour trudge along the King's road for a few months.

They even sent Davos along with Jon, because having the one guy who literally spent years stealth-running ships in and out of Dragonstone for Stannis would have been problematic.

Or even have Dany be reckless and take the 2 dragons out ahead of the fleet to try to find and destroy Euron's navy. She thinks that doing so will get her some respect since she's envious of Jon and how he is loved by everyone.

Then you can have Rhaegal die because she was so overconfident and unprepared / it wasn't healed and it wouldn't look completely stupid.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Waltzing Along posted:

I mentioned the backwards writing about the Dothraki charge. They wanted to show this cool scene with the lights going out and so went backwards from there. But logic moves forwards, not backwards. And so the season is total poo poo.

Yeah, when you mentioned that it was like a light popped up in my head: that's precisely it. For all of GRRM's faults the books were excellent because he wrote forward. He took a premise and then followed it to its realistic, logical and sometimes very unpleasant conclusion without pulling punches. The stories felt believable and it was fun to read along and try to guess where things were going to end up.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

sebmojo posted:

the dragon getting in jon's way was fairly clear actually, i thought

It looked to me like all the zombies were just trying to kill everyone and they wanted a scene where Jon faces down against a dragon. And the person who made this argument to me was specifically saying the Dragon was just trying to keep Jon away too, not kill him. Just... inconvenience him? Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

There's been discussion about if the Night King dying kills all the zombies does that mean he's also in charge of them all like some kind of hivemind or something and that's where the bit about the dragon intentionally trying to slow Jon down comes from. But if that's the case then why doesn't he just have a wave of wights wash over Jon if he's specifically scared of him? And then it raises questions as to why some of the zombies were just mooching around the library too. did the Night King hear Arya's blood spattering on the ground?

Rule of cool, I guess. Someone thought it'd be rad for Jon to do a Skyrim and shout at a dragon.

Edit: I'm just seeing the irony of saying I'm just watching this for the laughs and then thinking about it so hard. Hahah. loving hell.

Der Shovel posted:

Like Elevator Screamer says, there are a billion better ways to accomplish what they wanted here (Dany loses a dragon) without it feeling like ... I dunno, it immediately made me think of those bullshit RPG campaigns I had as a kid where the dungeon master was just a hostile little poo poo who lived only to foil the players' plans simply by going "nuh huh, the sheriff's henchman somehow perfectly knew what you were planning and has the perfect counter for it" without bothering to put any effort into it.

I'll die on the hill that nothing kills a compelling story dead quicker than convenience and contrivance.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 7, 2019

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/blfyty/written_by_david_benioff_db_weiss/

jesus christ that reaction

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Why does Denerys feel the need to make enemies of everyone at every turn? Why does she bother to have advisors? Why doesn't she want to marry Jon? Why does Jon send Ghost north with Tormund? Is he a bad fighter now? Didn't he survive the Battle of Winterfell? Did they run out of dog handler money?

Why do they split their forces? Why not wait until Asha can join their fleet? Why do they let Euron's fleet ambush them for a 3rd time? Why does Danerys even go with the fleet? Why not send the Dragons with the land army and impress people along the way, who might then join her? Why not give Jon a Dragon, if not to ride then just to fly with them in case they get ambushed? Why didn't Urine finish off Danerys's fleet? Why didn't he take over Dragonstone and capture literally everyone except maybe Danerys?

Why didn't Cersei kill Tyrion? She already hired an assassin to kill him, does she feel like she needs to get her money's worth out of Bronn? Did she not want to waste the arrows? Was she worried about hitting Qyburn? Why does Danerys park Drogon within range of all Cersei's ballistas? Why does Cersei refrain from killing Drogon? Why are they in a desert?

Whyyyyyyyyy?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Drunken Baker posted:

It looked to me like all the zombies were just trying to kill everyone and they wanted a scene where Jon faces down against a dragon. And the person who made this argument to me was specifically saying the Dragon was just trying to keep Jon away too, not kill him. Just... inconvenience him? Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

There's been discussion about if the Night King dying kills all the zombies does that mean he's also in charge of them all like some kind of hivemind or something and that's where the bit about the dragon intentionally trying to slow Jon down comes from. But if that's the case then why doesn't he just have a wave of wights wash over Jon if he's specifically scared of him? And then it raises questions as to why some of the zombies were just mooching around the library too. did the Night King hear Arya's blood spattering on the ground?

Rule of cool, I guess. Someone thought it'd be rad for Jon to do a Skyrim and shout at a dragon.

Edit: I'm just seeing the irony of saying I'm just watching this for the laughs and then thinking about it so hard. Hahah. loving hell.

I'll die on the hill that nothing kills a compelling story dead quicker than convenience and contrivance.

Night King being afraid of Jon makes no sense even using the show's logic because every time they come face to face the Night King puts on a smirk and does the come at me bro arm raise. In the battle episode NK does this and then Jon attacks the zombies, if NK were afraid the zombies would've attacked first.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Why does Denerys feel the need to make enemies of everyone at every turn? Why does she bother to have advisors? Why doesn't she want to marry Jon? Why does Jon send Ghost north with Tormund? Is he a bad fighter now? Didn't he survive the Battle of Winterfell? Did they run out of dog handler money?

Why do they split their forces? Why not wait until Asha can join their fleet? Why do they let Euron's fleet ambush them for a 3rd time? Why does Danerys even go with the fleet? Why not send the Dragons with the land army and impress people along the way, who might then join her? Why not give Jon a Dragon, if not to ride then just to fly with them in case they get ambushed? Why didn't Urine finish off Danerys's fleet? Why didn't he take over Dragonstone and capture literally everyone except maybe Danerys?

Why didn't Cersei kill Tyrion? She already hired an assassin to kill him, does she feel like she needs to get her money's worth out of Bronn? Did she not want to waste the arrows? Was she worried about hitting Qyburn? Why does Danerys park Drogon within range of all Cersei's ballistas? Why does Cersei refrain from killing Drogon? Why are they in a desert?

Whyyyyyyyyy?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

are you guys ready for the misogyny takes when dany goes bat poo poo and jon kills her

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

ArmZ posted:

are you guys ready for the misogyny takes when dany goes bat poo poo and jon kills her

I'm wondering if they'll do that now. Its been set up so heavy handedly, especially this season. Makes me wonder if they're going to subvert expectations again to really stick it to everyone trying to guess where things were going. As bad as its all been I am genuinely invested in this now and really want to see where this goes and how it ends. It's like horseshoe theory, if the show was brilliant I'd be desperate to see the end but because it's so bad I'm also desperate to see the end. Hahaha.

Also as someone else pointed out, huge lols if she goes full heel turn and burns a castle full of babies to death and now the world if full of thousands of Danys and Khaleesis who were named after a psychopathic princess.

Though if she does go mad the sycophantic fans will just write their own reasoning as to why Dany going apeshit is actually the most brilliant thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
*Showrunners fling poo poo at the camera for 60 minutes*

(GoT Bar Reaction Scene): *Cheers*