Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

At least per this summary article:
https://www.pravda.com.ua/articles/2019/04/25/7213579/

And yeah, the Rada website is a mess.
The education language has a loottt of room interpretation, too. Like what exactly does "alongside" in this expression really mean:

I also wonder where the distinction between minority languages (Russian?) and indigenous people's languages (Crimean Tatar, Hungarian, Romanian?) is defined, too.

Huh, that summary is different from other summaries I've seen. In some the 90% Ukrainian language quota for TV programming is said not to be present in the final version, for example. Hope they publish the actual law soon.

As for indigenous people, the law about it was never passed, so while commonly only Crimean Tatars (and adjacent Crimean ethnic groups) are considered to be indigenous people, and others are just ethnic minorities, it is still very much moot. Proponents of this language law actually promised another law specifically about minority languages later, but I don't think there is even a draft of that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Paladinus posted:

Huh, that summary is different from other summaries I've seen. In some the 90% Ukrainian language quota for TV programming is said not to be present in the final version, for example. Hope they publish the actual law soon.

As for indigenous people, the law about it was never passed, so while commonly only Crimean Tatars (and adjacent Crimean ethnic groups) are considered to be indigenous people, and others are just ethnic minorities, it is still very much moot. Proponents of this language law actually promised another law specifically about minority languages later, but I don't think there is even a draft of that yet.

Wait how do you even use a term like "indigenous" in countries where there are no colonial settler populations. How does that work.
Isn't everyone indigenous?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Grape posted:

Wait how do you even use a term like "indigenous" in countries where there are no colonial settler populations. How does that work.

No...? :raise:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Grape posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_Tatars

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grape posted:

Hard to think of any countries where this isn't the case to some extent.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Hard to think of any countries where this isn't the case to some extent.

Rarely in that particular way of the New World or Down Under. And I suppose Siberia fits the bill a bit.

Also I'm pretty sure Slavic folks were in the area before Turkic folks, or at least Kipchak speaking groups like the Crimean Tatars. Both having been there for a long time either way.
Like how does one qualify as indigenous and not the other.

Grape fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 27, 2019

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Grape posted:

Also I'm pretty sure Slavic folks were in the area before Turkic folks, or at least Kipchak speaking groups like the Crimean Tatars. Both having been there for a long time either way.
Like how does one qualify as indigenous and not the other.

That's not how that works. The definition is based on who and what relations that meaningfully exists today. Specifically, the ones which need protecting for one reason or another.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

MiddleOne posted:

That's not how that works. The definition is based on who and what relations that meaningfully exists today. Specifically, the ones which need protecting for one reason or another.

That's not what the word means, so it's just a strange use of it is all.
Like Europe looked at the use in America and went "oh it means marginalized minority group". But if that's how it's come to be seen there then that's the way of words I suppose.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Grape posted:

That's not what the word means, so it's just a strange use of it is all.
Like Europe looked at the use in America and went "oh it means marginalized minority group". But if that's how it's come to be seen there then that's the way of words I suppose.

Uhm, Crimean Tatars were literally forced out of their homes multiple times, and had Russians settled in them. (Same happened to some extent in Baltic states as well). The Russian Empire was very much built on ethnic cleansing and settler colonialism.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

OddObserver posted:

Uhm, Crimean Tatars were literally forced out of their homes multiple times, and had Russians settled in them. (Same happened to some extent in Baltic states as well). The Russian Empire was very much built on ethnic cleansing and settler colonialism.

You can have two indigenous peoples doing these kinds of things to each-other. Like when we had Bosnian Serb paramilitaries doing it to Bosniaks it was still two indigenous pops.
Though in the context of Ukraine ethnic Russians do have an element of settler history to them, I'll give you that.

Just in curiosity, would you consider Irish Catholics in NI an indigenous population compared to the Protestants there? Greek Cypriots compared to Turkish Cypriots? Genuinely asking.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Grape posted:

Just in curiosity, would you consider Irish Catholics in NI an indigenous population compared to the Protestants there?

Absolutely, the Protestants are largely the descendants of Scots who were settled there as part of Britain's "divide to rule" schemes.

Anyway in Eastern European news, a Russian missile factory is burning.
https://www.unian.info/world/10532571-massive-fire-raging-at-ballistic-missile-plant-in-russia-video.html

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Hot take of my Russian aunt, who lived nowhere close to where any Tartar ever has been, on them:
"Be careful, they are dirty and they cheat"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

caps on caps on caps posted:

Hot take of my Russian aunt, who lived nowhere close to where any Tartar ever has been, on them:
"Be careful, they are dirty and they cheat"

Travel through different countries: the minorities change, the stereotypes about them stay the same.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

Absolutely, the Protestants are largely the descendants of Scots who were settled there as part of Britain's "divide to rule" schemes.

Anyway in Eastern European news, a Russian missile factory is burning.
https://www.unian.info/world/10532571-massive-fire-raging-at-ballistic-missile-plant-in-russia-video.html

:stonk: is that still burning?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
:chloe:

https://twitter.com/IlvesToomas/status/1122845511659208705

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
On how many levels of irony is this tweet?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

That’s a “white power” sign???
I though it’s “OK”.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Somebody on 4chan said that it was to troll the libs, and because there is no good in the world, every single braindead, terminally online moron took the bait and will now yell at you for denying that the ok gesture ever wasn't a symbol of white supremacy.

See also: Drinking milk

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Wait, is it serious? I never knew it could be anything other than "OK" gesture. How do I even search for more info?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
There's entire derails about that in the al-right thread.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

steinrokkan posted:

Somebody on 4chan said that it was to troll the libs, and because there is no good in the world, every single braindead, terminally online moron took the bait and will now yell at you for denying that the ok gesture ever wasn't a symbol of white supremacy.
While there's a smidgen of truth to your take, it ignores just how much white supremacists in the United States have taken up the "okay" gesture as their own. It may have started ironically, but it has since gained such widespread use among Nazis and Nazis-in-all-but-name that it is 100% accurate to interpret it as a white supremacists gesture in certain contexts.

Average American throws an okay gesture in response to a question about how things are going? Probably not a Nazi. Eastern European politician with limited scope into new interpretations of old gestures throws an okay sign in response to a success? Probably not a Nazi. Pack of overweight slobs in bad camo and Trump hats pose holding their AR15s and flashing the okay symbol? Probably Nazis.

It wasn't leftists "taking the bait", it's actually been adopted by the radical right in America.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cugel the Clever posted:

It wasn't leftists "taking the bait", it's actually been adopted by the radical right in America.

it has done the same in Europe just like Pepe memes because radical nationalists don't care about original national cultural content anymore

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I knew those deaf kids at my school were nazis. (that's also the sign for wristwatch if you do it on your arm).

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

alex314 posted:

That’s a “white power” sign???
I though it’s “OK”.

The MAGA chuds took it over. I've seen pictures of cops in the US flashing it.

Those chuds were suspended.

https://twitter.com/MoscowTimes/status/1122897077850333185

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The MAGA chuds took it over. I've seen pictures of cops in the US flashing it.

Those chuds were suspended.

In my childhood, that was called the rear end in a top hat Game, and if you got someone to look at the "rear end in a top hat" you were making with your thumb and forefinger, you got to punch the person who looked.

I think we need to reverse that.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
That "ok-sign" thing was started by one of their nazi neckbeard members who got into the parliament with 200 votes because another party member who got 1200 was below him on their intra-party list. So obviously the party leaders backed their man by also using that gesture.

Then one of their ministers (of foreign trade and IT) resigned after one day in office because allegations of domestic violence came up. After which both those party leaders (now minister of finance + minister of interior) and that minister himself called his wife all together to ask if the allegations were true. She denied everything. I guess everything must be alright then. :airquote: She surely would have told the minister of interior if anything was wrong. :airquote:

He got 31,000€ (6 months pay) in compensation for that one day.

edit: that minister-for-one-day also got busted for driving drunk one day after the elections.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 1, 2019

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Dozens Of People Detained As Russia Marks May Day

https://www.rferl.org/a/dozens-of-people-detained-as-russia-marks-may-day/29914668.html

Funny how some Russians make fun of the discussion in Ukraine about May Day and it possibly not being a national holiday anymore...

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I thought I couldn't think less of my countrymen, but this person is slated to win elections quite handily:

https://twitter.com/AndrejBabis/status/1123859669624152066

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xarn posted:

I thought I couldn't think less of my countrymen, but this person is slated to win elections quite handily:

https://twitter.com/AndrejBabis/status/1123859669624152066
To be fair he's bound to win no matter what new idiocy he comes up with given the size of the PR machine he's got going.
It's less about the stupid ideas and more about the fact we're constantly massaged by images of him taking credit for the popular measures and blaming others for the unpopular ones.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 2, 2019

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
https://twitter.com/advertisedtwit/status/1125412420137123845

help im polan

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Woman arrested in Poland over posters of Virgin Mary with rainbow halo

Thank you Polish police for getting this dangerous criminal off the streets, I feel safer already

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

szary posted:

Woman arrested in Poland over posters of Virgin Mary with rainbow halo

Thank you Polish police for getting this dangerous criminal off the streets, I feel safer already

Again, Poland desperately wanting to become Russia. Duda and Putin just kiss already.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Again, Poland desperately wanting to become Russia. Duda and Putin just kiss already.

What's the Polish for Vyshevatnik?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's that anime word for the behavior where someone is deeply in love or obsessed with someone but pretends to hate them and will always talk poo poo about them? That's Poland's relationship with Russia.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

What's that anime word for the behavior where someone is deeply in love or obsessed with someone but pretends to hate them and will always talk poo poo about them? That's Poland's relationship with Russia.

Tsundere.

You'd think Poland would have somewhat less rosy memories of Russia... multiple attempts at partition and all that.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Did we somehow miss the other art related Polish scandal, where a series of photographs from the 70's of a woman eating a banana was (temporarily) removed from the National Museum in Warsaw for promoting gender ideology?

That happened.

And another video installation was removed - this on I think permanently. It was a recording of a live TV performance art done over 10 years ago on public funded TVP Kultura (think Arte), where two women were taking calls from the viewers who would tell them to do basically whatever the caller wanted. As you can imagine not a long time passed when some guys told them to undress and began admiring their "titties" etc. The women were visibly distraught too, while following the commands. We can't have that!

:nws: youtube.com/watch?v=ZV9CC4Dwc3I :nws:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Baronjutter posted:

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Tsundere.

You'd think Poland would have somewhat less rosy memories of Russia... multiple attempts at partition and all that.

what does this have to do with russia? regressive states don't automatically love each other.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Rinkles posted:

what does this have to do with russia? regressive states don't automatically love each other.

This was in response to the idea that Poland's current president is tsundere for Russia. I was under the impression that Polish nationalists generally had to balance their historical hatreds between Germany and Russia. I could be wrong, of course, but hasn't the Polish far right basically adopted the Tu-154 accident as their version of 9/11 trutherism?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
More like their Benghazi. There is a strand of assassination conspiracy theories out there, but the mainstream right is careful to only stoke it with plausible deniability. The play they commit to openly is "just" accusing the opposition of criminal negligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Lithuanian presidential elections are coming up. The only non-goon Lithuanian I know says he's voting for Ingrida Šimonytė because he can't vote for Dalia Grybauskaitė again. Is this the case with most Lithuanians? Who is the favorite to win? Is there a favorite?