Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

World Guide arrived :toot:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Mine arrived too! Is it just me, or is that (possibly concept) art with what looks like the Golden Gate Bridge in the game? I mean, I’m pretty positive it isn’t, but man, such a good art book. I’ve only skimmed through it, cause I also got LSS and a new laptop in the mail as well, so I’ve been overwhelmed with the presents I got myself with my tax return.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Got my World Guide today, takes a bit for these things to cross the ocean. I haven't had the time for a very close look yet but it looks really nice.

I also got Short Story Long with it and I had no idea these guys went together like this until I put them next to each other. :yokotaro:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1127919682500079616

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The pacing is especially interesting here. Most games are pretty frontloaded, especially RPGs, but Nier has been a marathon runner.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I only bought and played it a few weeks ago, having been meaning to for like a year since everyone said it was like the best game ever. Turns out making a good game that people recommend to others is a solid way to sell copies.

Also turns out it wasn't exactly the best game ever, but it was definitely worth my time.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I never felt (or feel in general) that people advertising some game as complete perfection and the second coming of christ are actually doing that game as much of a favor as they think. Nier Tomato is very unique and one of my favorite games that year and i 100% it, but it's also a gem with notable flaws and rough edges and i've seen more than a few of my friends bounce off it. Neglecting to mention that stuff is a surefire way to raise unrealistic expectations and set newcomers up for disappointment.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This thread was very open to criticism of the game (in comparison to how people react to criticism of breath of the wild). People are pretty open about NA's weaknesses (none of which actually matter to me) but I find games with TOP TIER soundtracks tend to have pretty long legs. Still amazed it actually hit 4 million.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 14, 2019

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Last week I finished a 2nd playthrough and did the thing at the end. Today I noticed a message on my steam profile:

(hella loving endgame spoilers here)

https://i.imgur.com/3b293xo.png

:kimchi:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Veib posted:

Got my World Guide today, takes a bit for these things to cross the ocean. I haven't had the time for a very close look yet but it looks really nice.

I also got Short Story Long with it and I had no idea these guys went together like this until I put them next to each other. :yokotaro:

I read the world guide over the weekend and I think it's kind of disappointing. The concept art is neat but there isn't much of it and there's no new story content. Most of the art is just screenshots from the game. My only consolation is that maybe some exec will look at the sales data and that will tip the scales toward giving Yoko Taro money for his next project.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Boogalo posted:

Last week I finished a 2nd playthrough and did the thing at the end. Today I noticed a message on my steam profile:

Here for this wholesome content

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I never felt (or feel in general) that people advertising some game as complete perfection and the second coming of christ are actually doing that game as much of a favor as they think. Nier Tomato is very unique and one of my favorite games that year and i 100% it, but it's also a gem with notable flaws and rough edges and i've seen more than a few of my friends bounce off it. Neglecting to mention that stuff is a surefire way to raise unrealistic expectations and set newcomers up for disappointment.

That’s just how people go, there isn’t any perfect product but fans are gonna hype up stuff they like

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Boogalo posted:

gently caress yeah

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I know this was an autocorrect but I love it anyway.

Boogalo posted:

This is what it was all about.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Midjack posted:

I know this was an autocorrect but I love it anyway.
Nah, mostly me not fully committing to the ancient "Near a tomato" nickname

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s just how people go, there isn’t any perfect product but fans are gonna hype up stuff they like
Yeah, it's a common pattern that frequently tends to cause predictable second-wave backlash after word of mouth from the eager early adopters gets around. Certainly not exclusive to quirky Yoko Taro weirdness, yet still unfortunate.

Pretty stoked to see it hit the 4M milestone, even with all its quirks that's well earned.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 14, 2019

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One fun thing about the hype cycle was when it went in reverse for Mass Effect 3, people got to the end at launch and hated it so much and so loudly that people who took longer to get around to it got to the end and said "wtf this isn't that bad"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well they did patch in scenes to paper over the dumbest bits but it was still pretty bad

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The ME3 ending was one of the least bad things about ME3.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah the ending was the worst part, the rest was meh but the ending was actively bad

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

The pacing is especially interesting here. Most games are pretty frontloaded, especially RPGs, but Nier has been a marathon runner.

I think it's been the beneficiary of having a strong, visually unique presentation that makes it easily and endlessly shareable across social platforms (fanart, cosplay, etc.). People'll be cosplaying 2B for years to come, and that kind of repeated exposure gets you marketing that you could never truly budget for.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Vermain posted:

I think it's been the beneficiary of having a strong, visually unique presentation that makes it easily and endlessly shareable across social platforms

AKA: Butts

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

the game is actually just that good. It's a game people still think fondly of, in a more personal way than better-reviewed zeldas and marios. Witcher 3 was similar.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

And charm and uniqueness

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Unique and charming butts.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I got the game about a year after it came out. Playing through it, I had no idea what people were talking about with all the butt references because I shut off my self-destruct at the beginning of the game because gently caress you. I'm not blowing myself up again after that opening act.

Then I watched a speedrun of it. :negative:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i tried out self-destruct after the most boring part of the game, the route B eve fight.

I was in the yorha space station. And then had to do the battle again, for the third time.

You still get plenty of butt without self destruct, i dont think the game's reputation is due to self destruct.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I never once used self destruct because I assumed it was a novelty game over ending. What's up with self destruct and speed runs?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I never once used self destruct because I assumed it was a novelty game over ending. What's up with self destruct and speed runs?

Charging self destruct will cancel you out of like any other animation, which lets you do some crazy stuff

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tarezax posted:

Charging self destruct will cancel you out of like any other animation, which lets you do some crazy stuff

IIRC, it also lets you skip a phase of Simone if you detonate at the right time to push her through a health trigger.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I realized sometime in route C that I hadn't actually used self destruct yet and decided to try it out for a laugh. I was in the bunker at the time.

Everything went better than expected.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've continued my year-old save. It's going better than expected, i pretty much remember the plot and how to play. But I fear I'll never be able to escape the slight nagging feeling that i forgot about some essential mechanic or thing i needed to do.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Amppelix posted:

I've continued my year-old save. It's going better than expected, i pretty much remember the plot and how to play. But I fear I'll never be able to escape the slight nagging feeling that i forgot about some essential mechanic or thing i needed to do.

if this is your first time through, don't worry. Even if you "miss" something, you will get the opportunity to find it again. Just keep going.

If you're replaying it, I know that feel. We should have a list of mandatory recommended side quests for second playthroughs.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
i've sadly yet to successfully convince any friends to beat this game. one friend bought it and hasn't even touched it. the other got halfway through 9S's route and was like "I beat the game one and a half times, I think I'm done with it" and I guess it just didn't ramp up quickly enough for him.

it makes me sad because i feel like the true ending sequence is so unique and moving that anyone who likes video games would appreciate it, but the game's combination of feelbad-anime-action-RPG with multiple routes definitely limits the target audience. if any single one of those qualities doesn't do it for you, it makes it that much harder to reach that awesome, awesome ending.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think the game could have benefited from some time-skips during 9S's route B, though I couldn't say when they could happen.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

I think the game could have benefited from some time-skips during 9S's route B, though I couldn't say when they could happen.
There are a few already - I was very relieved become as gods went from an hour+ long sequence to a five minute sequence (especially as I was totally sick of route B at that point). But yeah I didn't enjoy desert+adam, adam+eve underground, or eve+ending the second time through. The Simone fight was great both times.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Cephas posted:

it makes me sad because i feel like the true ending sequence is so unique and moving that anyone who likes video games would appreciate it, but the game's combination of feelbad-anime-action-RPG with multiple routes definitely limits the target audience. if any single one of those qualities doesn't do it for you, it makes it that much harder to reach that awesome, awesome ending.

it's a testament to how good this game is that it has so many different things going against it, and yet it still managed to sell 4 million copies. There are more of us than we realize!

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Calling endings A and B "endings" was a pretty weird move tbh. And they probably could've been combined into one route.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I totally agree, and I think that as funny as they are, the joke endings kinda hurt it too.

It's easy to read headlines like "Nier Automata has 26 endings and you have to beat the game at least 5 times" and assume it's some insane grinding JRPG monstrosity that will take 200 hours.

Just call them chapters or segments or acts or anything besides endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's fine and traditional to call them endings, people are just dumb