Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Private Cumshoe posted:

The best RTS is Pikmin

It isn't even good but only because of the time limit. Without the limit it would be great.

e: Oops wrong thread, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

It isn't even good but only because of the time limit. Without the limit it would be great.

e: Oops wrong thread, sorry.

Pikmin 2 has no time limit

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

Pikmin 2 has no time limit

The capital of Mexico is Mexico City.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I played black and white 2 as a kid and it was the worst RTS ever

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
None of the Metal Gear Solid games are any good

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

fridge corn posted:

None of the Metal Gear Solid games are any good

Revengeance was great

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
All these classic consoles are such a garbage idea. Yeah its fun to waste 5 minutes of your life playing star fox and realising how good games are now but anyone that loads up final fantasy six for the first time in 2019 and earnestly wants to complete it is a nutcase. The formula has been refined to the point an entry from 25 years ago is a fossil now.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
the best part of final fantasy 15 was listening to final fantasy 6 music on the lovely car radio while i sat there waiting for the game to drive me to the next mission, realizing that i'd rather be playing final fantasy 6, and shutting off the game

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
but you're correct that the formula has been refined from final fantasy 6 a year earlier in a much better game: final fantasy 5

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bonaventure posted:

but you're correct that the formula has been refined from final fantasy 6 a year earlier in a much better game: final fantasy 5

6 didn't turn into 5 until the latter half, when every character could suddenly learn magic.

Personally I kind of liked the first half, where each character had their own unique ability, and changing party members actually had a purpose. 9 did this really well too; 10 as well.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Revengeance was great

revengeance is not a metal gear solid game, the point still stands

e: although i disagree, 5 is very flawed but still a really fun game

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Revengeance was great

That's a Metal Gear Rising game :v:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
To a layman "Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake" is the stupidest name given to anything ever

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Snow Cone Capone posted:

6 didn't turn into 5 until the latter half, when every character could suddenly learn magic.

Personally I kind of liked the first half, where each character had their own unique ability, and changing party members actually had a purpose. 9 did this really well too; 10 as well.

characters in 6 are just classes in 5 but everyone's got wizard levels and you change your primary ability with relics instead of assigning new ones to the secondary slot.

enlightenment is when u realize... switching out Relm for Strago is just changing Faris from a beastmaster to a blue mage :420:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Icochet posted:

To a layman "Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake" is the stupidest name given to anything ever

only if you've never heard of Arc System Works fighting games, like Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late, Melty Blood, Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator....the list kinda goes on

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All Japanese computer video games have really stupid names.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Icochet posted:

I'm not even sure its the stupidest name in the Metal Gear series.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

nah Chrono Trigger is a hell of a cool name, sorry

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

I'm not even sure its the stupidest name in the Metal Gear series.

wow me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Metal Gear Solid Touch

Edit: I didn't forget a colon, thats the games name.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Naah, solid touch could theoretically be a bad idiom. Solid snake is just random words.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Icochet posted:

Naah, solid touch could theoretically be a bad idiom. Solid snake is just random words.

I dunno, Solid Snake and Ghost Babel both sound like gibberish codenames for things the military loves like Enduring Freedom or whatever. Metal Gear Solid Touch sounds like either a marketing buzzword for diesel engine parts or an absurdly filthy visual novel about diesel engines.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
It took me years and several metal gear games - including the bizarre card spin off Acid - to realise solid snake is a penis euphemism.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It took me years and several metal gear games - including the bizarre card spin off Acid - to realise solid snake is a penis euphemism.

metal gear AC!D was awesome and there should be a remaster of both games as a budget ps4 title

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I thought :itwaspoo:, especially with Kojima's fixation on arse.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

you mean Metal Gear Ac!d

Bonaventure posted:

characters in 6 are just classes in 5 but everyone's got wizard levels and you change your primary ability with relics instead of assigning new ones to the secondary slot.

enlightenment is when u realize... switching out Relm for Strago is just changing Faris from a beastmaster to a blue mage :420:

Agreed, but before everyone had wizard levels it actually mattered if you used Relm or Strago :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

it is practically criminal that octopath traveler looks as good and stylish as it does while the plot is basically nonexistent and the battle balance is so screwed up

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

it is practically criminal that octopath traveler looks as good and stylish as it does while the plot is basically nonexistent and the battle balance is so screwed up

I actually kind of trust your takes and this makes me sad, I was very much looking forward to the PC release.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I actually kind of trust your takes and this makes me sad, I was very much looking forward to the PC release.

wait for a sale, i mean i'm still playing it it's just that i'm playing it to zone out before bed instead of mainlining it even as a side game

the battle system is cool and heavily influenced by bravely default, but because you can pick up the eight characters in any order there's a bunch of really bizarre level scaling going on and if you grind at all/pay attention to weaknesses you'll quickly start curbstomping things but they still might take a turn or three to kill

the plot, at least early on, is a bunch of short little vignette scenes for each character in and around their hometown, almost like short stories. except they're short stories with jrpg writing, and none of them integrate with each other at all.

that said, the game really truly is stupidly pretty. it just seems like it could have been so much better with a little more care put into the other aspects.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

that said, the game really truly is stupidly pretty. it just seems like it could have been so much better with a little more care put into the other aspects.

wait did we stop talking about Octopath and start talking about I Am Setsuna?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Got the normal ending in Agony the other day and gently caress me, that's quite a game. I never bothered with the original after all the bullshit that happened during the production but got the uncut version in a bundle and figured what the hell.
One of the gimmicks of the game is that you can posses damned souls and demons. During the last stage the demon lady who's been tricking you along the lanes of hell gives you one last challenge. You have to kill the biggest beast in hell.
You find some big burly brute and take him over and go to town on some minor demons. Then you meet the biggest beast and it's Satan himself. He obviously kicks your rear end and you end up having to take over some small goat dude.
Now for some reason you have to shoot fire at a couple of egg sacks that start spurting blood on dead flying whale creatures. They start harassing Satan and it almost seem like they'll beat him but then suddenly he just smacks them away.
After that he comes after you and eats you up. Since you're now inside Satan you posses him and go on a rampage. You tear down the tower of Babel and this opens a portal so you can destroy the earth.
It's certainly something.

There's also a scene with a lady who feeds her own poo poo to her baby and you also have to get advice from an old dude who's masturbating so this game has something for everybody.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Lodin posted:

you also have to get advice from an old dude who's masturbating

hermit of the wankin' wisdom is my new job aspiration, thank you

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Lodin posted:

Got the normal ending in Agony the other day and gently caress me, that's quite a game. I never bothered with the original after all the bullshit that happened during the production but got the uncut version in a bundle and figured what the hell.

Did the uncut version ever do anything about the game world textures or does everything still sparkle like it is being lit by a disco ball?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Vakal posted:

Did the uncut version ever do anything about the game world textures or does everything still sparkle like it is being lit by a disco ball?

Grim Dawn would be a lot better if the maps weren't so loving big.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

there should be more dicks in games, and more dickshots that do extra damage

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

The real crime is you can't play it on ps4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

only if you've never heard of Arc System Works fighting games, like Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late, Melty Blood, Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator....the list kinda goes on

Half the Kingdom Hearts spinoffs?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

there should be more dicks in games, and more dickshots that do extra damage

Skyrim would have been a fun game if only it had hitzones including separate zones for dick and balls, respectively

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Being a twitch steamer sounds like a great job and if i could go back 9 years I'd say stuff university I'm gonna get really good at dota or starcraft or something