Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Chomp8645 posted:

There's a driver strike planned or something?

Yeah Uber and Lyft drivers are going on strike all day Wednesday May 8th, spread the word and don't cross a picket line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah Uber and Lyft drivers are going on strike all day Wednesday May 8th, spread the word and don't cross a picket line

Counterpoint: they are a bunch of scabs actively ruining public transit.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I was about to say that scabbing Uber/Lyft drivers would be like stealing from a thief. But a thief works for himself, while drivers aren't even the primary beneficiary of regulation dodging. They do the grunt work for poo poo pay while the bosses reap the rewards.

So really it's like stealing from a member of the Thieves Guild.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Spazzle posted:

Counterpoint: they are a bunch of scabs actively ruining public transit.

Counter-counterpoint: If the strike's successful enough it'll spook the VC's and hasten the death of Uber and Lyft, as would them having to pay out more money to drivers. They're already not profitable, if they have less coming in and more going out they'll burn down even faster and we can put all this silliness behind us.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Crazycryodude posted:

Counter-counterpoint: If the strike's successful enough it'll spook the VC's and hasten the death of Uber and Lyft, as would them having to pay out more money to drivers. They're already not profitable, if they have less coming in and more going out they'll burn down even faster and we can put all this silliness behind us.

inshallah

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Crazycryodude posted:

people have been saying this for 5 years

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

accelerationism is bad ya'll

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Norton posted:

I know people love brands and all, but even amongst staunchly pro capitalist people I feel like the general sentiment is that most companies suck. Does anyone like insurance companies? Telecom companies? Banks? Airlines? Oil companies? Monsanto? Big pharma? Social media companies? Even entertainment companies like Disney, or the video game publishers like EA and Activision get insane amounts of hate. That doesn't even get into all the call centers and warehouses that always suck complete rear end to work for but you never hear about.

How can almost every sector be reviled by almost everyone if capitalism is so good?

Surely it is just bad luck that all companies suck, and no indication at all of a deeper systemic issue.

No you see corporations and globalists are bad, they've twisted and perverted the beautiful purity of the free market by something something crony capitalism.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

Counter-counter-counter point. They just have to make it until automated cars a viable and then those bothersome contractors aren’t a problem.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

Is there an Uber store I don't know about where I would have to cross a picket line to get in

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

Is there an Uber store I don't know about where I would have to cross a picket line to get in

Any car belonging to a scab uber or lyft driver.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Automatic Slim posted:

Counter-counter-counter point. They just have to make it until automated cars a viable and then those bothersome contractors aren’t a problem.

Truly automated cars aren't going to be viable for decades, everyone pushing this myth is lying to boost their company's stock while also tossing safety to the wind.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Burning capital to establish a market or take over an existing one until automation eliminates tons of operating costs is the game plan for a lot of these companies, yeah. Their IPOs say as much.

I'm one of the more optimistic ppl wrt how far true automated cars are and I think these tech companies are hosed though lol

And it's all lovely anyway because the optimal solution is denser city planning around good public transportation. But no one does anything because it is necessary they do it for profit and so lol. Everyone hates public transit; car manufacturers, Uber/Lyft, I'm sure even construction firms who are anxious to lose out on freeway expansion contracts are against it

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
I think they're called rideshare apps because they're cheaper when you carpool and let some stranger ride with you in your taxi, which weirds me the gently caress out because I always forget about it until we're stopped and someone's opening the door at what I previously thought was an unplanned stop. I only end up using lyft or uber if someone else gets it. I still use and hail taxis because I prefer them and usually the driving actually knows how to drive like it's their job.

I went on a date with someone I met on a dating app who was worried she wouldn't be able to get home because her phone died. I said I could just hail her a cab, and she didn't understand what I was talking about and I explained it. I ended up having to hail a cab for her to demonstrate and never saw her again. :) Dodged that bullet.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://twitter.com/carolineha_/status/1125421217593249792

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

That is definitely not true. People are just gonna throw them away and not care about the fire risk inside of garbage trucks. There is no way to stop that. They won’t just sit in drawers.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i will never buy a phone without a loving headphone jack

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Day Man posted:

That is definitely not true. People are just gonna throw them away and not care about the fire risk inside of garbage trucks. There is no way to stop that. They won’t just sit in drawers.

if you read the comments, a whole lotta people are going to bat for apple, since apple has a return system! 'Hardware as Service,' and even a bernie/rose dude is sucking tim's cock about how apple will clearly dispose of these (maybe even repurpose/recycle!) properly if only you come trade them in for new ones, ignoring of course that the 'responsible' recycling sends them off to be picked apart in the developing world by children

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Products designed with planned obsolescence should explicitly say how long they are designed to last, so that consumers can make informed choices.

Or, OR, we execute all CEOs and manufacture well-engineered technology at cost.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

T-man posted:

accelerationism is bad ya'll

stop ruining our fun, mom

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Fifteen years ago a friend of mine joked about the idea of throwing away a full grill propane tank and watching the garbage truck explode. Thinking about that still makes me laugh out loud.

thanks, air pods article, for making me remember that.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this might not be an option in two generations

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/powrtabs-disposable-mobile-chargers/

quote:

Because they’re disposable, you may well question the environmental credentials of Powrtabs. The outside casing is biodegradable, compact cardboard. So far, so good, but there’s a Li-ion battery inside that.

A rechargeable battery intentionally designed to be single use.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

mycomancy posted:

Products designed with planned obsolescence should explicitly say how long they are designed to last, so that consumers can make informed choices.

Or, OR, we execute all CEOs and manufacture well-engineered technology at cost.

the history of durability and too much capitalism is also what's killing gun manufacturers. 30 years ago a mid-shelf pistol was all steel and aluminum construction, and works today like brand new. today a mid-tier gun is cheap plastic except for the parts that absolutely have to be metal. same with rifles - they used to be all steel and wood, and now they're plastic, but prices haven't significantly changed.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ScrubLeague posted:

the history of durability and too much capitalism is also what's killing gun manufacturers. 30 years ago a mid-shelf pistol was all steel and aluminum construction, and works today like brand new. today a mid-tier gun is cheap plastic except for the parts that absolutely have to be metal. same with rifles - they used to be all steel and wood, and now they're plastic, but prices haven't significantly changed.

Candy bars have been reducing in size but keeping the same price for years now.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pulcinella posted:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/powrtabs-disposable-mobile-chargers/

A rechargeable battery intentionally designed to be single use.

Disposable single-use chargers that are actually just lithium-ion batteries without recharging circuitry have been around for a few years now but I think this is the first time I've seen an article that was for them instead of calling them out for being hilariously wasteful.

BigClive has done a couple videos on them if you want to see the guts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5korWqCcsHE

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tashilicious posted:

I believe they also go so far with products to see how much they can reduce them before consumers notice

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lancemantis posted:

I believe they also go so far with products to see how much they can reduce them before consumers notice

And routinely gaslight people about portion sizes

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

counterpoint: buying a Sony Walkman .FLAC player with a headphone jack is a way better method of listening to music on the go

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tashilicious posted:

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
quality street

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

99% of your daily recommended amount of frog homosexuality juice in every bite! Quality Street: where the rainbows grow smaller over time, just like every year after Pride.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
"Quality Street" sounds like Dollar Store candy.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Lambert posted:

"Quality Street" sounds like Dollar Store candy.

They are really good tho, and quite expensive I think.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

They're pretty good, for a mass market bonbon. And it's probably a good thing the boxes are smaller now, you fat fucks.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Moridin920 posted:

lol if you need to read a book about how to not give a gently caress

that is not the way

Slotducks posted:

At least Jordan Peterson's book isn't there

I think the book is about not giving a gently caress about anything except yourself so it's kind of in the same alley.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i only bought a phone without an (easily) removable battery because it was getting hard to find one that wasnt a piece of poo poo or really expensive but thank god Samsung is slowly stealing every dumb idea apple does. I was kind of surprised the phone took micro sd cards

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

duz posted:

i hate that too but no one listens to me either

I, on the other hand, like how.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Grevling posted:

I think the book is about not giving a gently caress about anything except yourself so it's kind of in the same alley.

It's a 4 page essay stretched so loving thin to get it to 200 pages that it floats. 10% of the book is naughty curse words! oh my!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.vox.com/2018/12/18/18144509/tax-cut-bill-workers-bonus

quote:

The GOP tax bill only gave workers 2 cents more per hour in bonuses
US companies got about $54 billion.

quote:

The exact amount is hard to pin down, as companies are not required to report how they used the tax savings, but one analysis shows that only about 4.4 percent of US workers got a wage increase or bonus as a result of the tax bill.

Instead, US companies have spent a record amount of money this year buying back shares of company stock — an effort to inflate their value for shareholders. US corporations have announced spending $1 trillion on stock buybacks so far this year. That’s a 64 percent increase from 2017, according to CNN Business. So it’s no mystery why the savings from the GOP tax bill didn’t trickle down to workers. Only a handful of companies (34 from the Fortune 500) said they are using the tax savings to invest in US operations.