Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
felurian is going to sacrifice herself by having sex with a chandrian, killing them and saving kvothe but at the cost of her own life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
realtalk it says a lot about rothfuss's imagination that he has a character whose thing is "destroys people by having sex with them" but when it comes to the mechanics of how this actually occurs he just kind of vaguely goes "oh uh i guess she's just so good they can't stand it or something lol". i mean come on.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
(it's because he's a sex pest with a huge ego and although all his characters are obsessed with sex 24/7 he can't bring himself to actually explicate the act, whether it be normal human or mind-destroying extraterrestrial, on-page for fear of what it would reveal about him)

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
tbh i just love saying "sex pest"

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
sex pest

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i'm onto you, roth

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
The rarely seen but powerful hexapost combo.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

how you been avs

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
zoop zoop

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Let me tell you guys something

I've been a sex haver for while and the only thing I feel is a sort of vague malaise about it afterwards, like "Huh... that happened"

Only a sex pest would believe that sex is anything but meaningless instinctual imperative manifesting as the old Sabado Gigante, ya dig?

"No, sex is like playing a symphony", lmao, gently caress off weirdo

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Elsetimes he finds a jig more suited to his taste.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
sex for me is like the plucking of a solitary harpstring

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

nankeen posted:

come on this was easily Rothfuss level writing.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

nankeen posted:

OK but is it the note that says sad or does it say happy or what

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

nankeen posted:

How in the hell was this the probated comment?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

nankeen posted:

realtalk it says a lot about rothfuss's imagination that he has a character whose thing is "destroys people by having sex with them" but when it comes to the mechanics of how this actually occurs he just kind of vaguely goes "oh uh i guess she's just so good they can't stand it or something lol". i mean come on.

magic of a different kind

Gitro
May 29, 2013

PJOmega posted:

How in the hell was this the probated comment?

It's the book forum not the sex forum. If they ever merge SA will be annihilated in a big horny explosion.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

nankeen posted:

the twang of the frenulum is so melancholy

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

branedotorg posted:

the twang of the frenulum is so melancholy

like the taint was saying, "sad"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Gitro posted:

It's the book forum not the sex forum. If they ever merge SA will be annihilated in a big horny explosion.

Counterpoint:

ElGroucho posted:

I've been a sex haver for while and the only thing I feel is a sort of vague malaise about it afterwards, like "Huh... that happened"

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

ElGroucho posted:

post coitum, animal triste est

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Gitro posted:

Wait there's a sex forum? Why have I been wasting my time here?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

pseudanonymous posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=43

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

That's Goon Meets. The other poster was looking for the sex forum: Goon Meats.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The music of sex is a bassoon making a deep, long, slow fart sound

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Patrick rated it it was amazing · (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-would-blurb
I liked this anthology enough to actually write an introduction for it. Needless to say, that rarely happens.

I was going to drop a review here, then I realized that would be kinda silly, when the introduction I wrote says everything I want to say, much more clearly and cleanly than any quick review I could bang out.

So here it is...

This is a good anthology. Can we start there? Let's start there.

That's really the most important thing you can get out of this introduction. tl;dr - This is a good anthology full of stories that are worth your time and money.

If you want, you can hop directly into reading it. Go on. I won't be offended.

For the rest of you, let me be completely honest and say that when I sat down to read this anthology, I was really nervous.

I really admired Veronica and Tom for putting this anthology together. It's not just a cool idea, it's a vital thing. Anthologies that focus on new writers are really important.

Everyone knows it's hard for new writers to get noticed. Anthologies like this help new authors get their foot in the door, so to speak.

I know this for a fact, because an anthology like this helped get me my start as a writer. When I was published in Writers of the Future back in 2002, it opened up doors for me.

So I admired the hell out of Tom and Veronica for giving new-writers a chance to get a leg up. But at the same time, I when I heard Sword and Laser was putting out an anthology, I was worried for them. What's more, I was worried about the anthology itself.

Why? Because I've read submissions for writing contests. I've read stories at writer's workshops. I've taught writing classes. I've read submissions for a few anthologies myself.

In short, I know how many really awful stories are out there.

That sounds harsh. But it's the simple truth. Bad stories outnumber good ones about 50 to 1. And good stories outnumber great ones about 10 to 1. That's the harsh mathmatics of the situation.

I know this better than anyone. Not just because I've read slush. But because I've *written* awful stories. More awful stories than good ones. Many more.

And because I've acted as editor-in-chief before, if only in a small way, I know that sometimes, after reading 40 bad stories, you throw up your hands and just say, "Fine. gently caress! We need to put *something* in this anthology. That story about the mutant in the woods is good enough."

But who wants to read a story that's just "good enough? Not me. I want stories that are great. I want cleverness. I want wit and language and magic. I want to be surprised. I want to be dazzled.

I want brilliant stories. And I'm guessing you do too.

I was not expecting to get that here. But I did. Some of these stories show brilliance. And not just flashes of brilliance, either. Not just a thin gilding of brilliance over the surface of a clunky tin meh. I'm talking about solid brilliance.

Simply said, I was impressed and pleasantly surprised.

Now am I saying that you'll love every story in here? No. That's a ridiculous expectation. Because everyone enjoys different flavors of story.

And honestly, that's one of the strengths of this anthology. There's enough variety here that no matter what you enjoy, you're probably going to find something to your taste.

Okay. That's enough from me. I'm just the opening band. Quit reading my ramble and check out the real stories.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
This story? Yeah it's pretty good. Now, a bit about myself:

pseudanonymous posted:

Forumid=69, just scroll past the gas chamber. It had to be quarantined after dangerous levels of horny started leaking into AI

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

branedotorg posted:

I liked this anthology enough to actually write an introduction for it. Needless to say, that rarely happens.

I was going to drop a review here, then I realized that would be kinda silly, when the introduction I wrote says everything I want to say, much more clearly and cleanly than any quick review I could bang out.

So here it is...

That's a lot of words to say not a goddamn thing

If my kid wrote that as homework, I'd ground him

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

nankeen posted:

I want to tell you dude that I support you in your hour of bad rear end guitar playing bard cool epic scene thing, that all the ladies totally love, and also you know kung fu

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

That's a lot of words to say not a goddamn thing

If my kid wrote that as homework, I'd ground him

I always joke that reviews are slowly turning into "this is a good book because it has the quality of being good" and I never expected it to be done so literally.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
"Sometimes books are good. Sometimes they are bad. But this one is good. Because it is not bad. If it were bad, that would not be good. But it's good, and that's not bad."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

"Sometimes books are good. Sometimes they are bad. But this one is good. Because it is not bad. If it were bad, that would not be good. But it's good, and that's not bad."

Congratulations, you have discovered Rothfuss' personal notes for Tak, an amazing game that he did zero work on but still gets a design credit.

e: Rothfuss' favorite game is Boss Monster. If you have ever played a board game made in the past 20 years this is like saying "the best card game ever? definitely Uno."

al-azad fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 7, 2019

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

He may not know how to write about sex but he's a master at writing about masturbation

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

al-azad posted:

Congratulations, you have discovered Rothfuss' personal notes for Tak, an amazing game that he did zero work on but still gets a design credit.

"So, Pat, this game you want us to make. How exactly does it play?"

"It's a beautiful game."

"Yeah, but we're gonna need a little more to go on. Like, rules, victory conditions?"

"Just make it beautiful, goddamnit! My pizza guy understands this, why can't you?"

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

idiotsavant posted:

Easy comparison is Jonathan Strange & Dr Norrell which is also alternate fantasy history but done in far better style and in a more interesting way

Ehh? I think the audiobook version I listened to may've cut out at the 2/3 mark. Or maybe the actual ending was very abrupt. I was not motivated enough to look into it.

There were some pleasant Britishisms but the world didn't feel particularly built and the characters were okay but not compelling.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

branedotorg posted:

So here it is...

This is a good anthology. Can we start there? Let's start there.

That's really the most important thing you can get out of this introduction. tl;dr - This is a good anthology full of stories that are worth your time and money.

If you want, you can hop directly into reading it. Go on. I won't be offended.

For the rest of you, let me be completely honest and say that when I sat down to read this anthology, I was really nervous.

I really admired Veronica and Tom for putting this anthology together. It's not just a cool idea, it's a vital thing. Anthologies that focus on new writers are really important.

Everyone knows it's hard for new writers to get noticed. Anthologies like this help new authors get their foot in the door, so to speak.

I know this for a fact, because an anthology like this helped get me my start as a writer. When I was published in Writers of the Future back in 2002, it opened up doors for me.

So I admired the hell out of Tom and Veronica for giving new-writers a chance to get a leg up. But at the same time, I when I heard Sword and Laser was putting out an anthology, I was worried for them. What's more, I was worried about the anthology itself.

Why? Because I've read submissions for writing contests. I've read stories at writer's workshops. I've taught writing classes. I've read submissions for a few anthologies myself.

In short, I know how many really awful stories are out there.

That sounds harsh. But it's the simple truth. Bad stories outnumber good ones about 50 to 1. And good stories outnumber great ones about 10 to 1. That's the harsh mathmatics of the situation.

I know this better than anyone. Not just because I've read slush. But because I've *written* awful stories. More awful stories than good ones. Many more.

And because I've acted as editor-in-chief before, if only in a small way, I know that sometimes, after reading 40 bad stories, you throw up your hands and just say, "Fine. gently caress! We need to put *something* in this anthology. That story about the mutant in the woods is good enough."

But who wants to read a story that's just "good enough? Not me. I want stories that are great. I want cleverness. I want wit and language and magic. I want to be surprised. I want to be dazzled.

I want brilliant stories. And I'm guessing you do too.

I was not expecting to get that here. But I did. Some of these stories show brilliance. And not just flashes of brilliance, either. Not just a thin gilding of brilliance over the surface of a clunky tin meh. I'm talking about solid brilliance.

Simply said, I was impressed and pleasantly surprised.

Now am I saying that you'll love every story in here? No. That's a ridiculous expectation. Because everyone enjoys different flavors of story.

And honestly, that's one of the strengths of this anthology. There's enough variety here that no matter what you enjoy, you're probably going to find something to your taste.

Okay. That's enough from me. I'm just the opening band. Quit reading my ramble and check out the real stories.

joss whedon should be locked in guantanamo for influencing an entire generation to write like this

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I'm just the opening band for this book I had nothing to do with because of this long review I wrote for an unrelated website that is mostly about me

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

al-azad posted:

e: Rothfuss' favorite game is Boss Monster. If you have ever played a board game made in the past 20 years this is like saying "the best card game ever? definitely Uno."

Boss Monster? Can't say I'm surprised but wooooow.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

There were no details about the anthology in terms of what was good about it except it had some good stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

al-azad posted:

Having looked it up, I have to say that it looks much less entertaining than Uno. It's basically a solitaire game; it's only "multiplayer" in that the players are racing to meet the win condition first.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 7, 2019