Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

alas the rebellious teens were working for him all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Digital Devil Saga is fuckin cool

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah I really wish DDS were on the PS2 > PS4 service, they're on the PS3 as backwards compatibility.

Those games look sick as hell and playing old SMT has probably made me strong enough to handle the high random encounter rate i hear about

much like goro, heat also does nothing wrong

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This is such a weird choice for an opening but i love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ErrlgLpLH8

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Cheats definitely made me enjoy DDS a lot more cause I was way more into the setting and vibe than I was the gameplay

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I was honestly amazed they divided DDS into two games when barely one game's worth of story happens between them

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Yeah they could definitely pile it into one on a rerelease or something

I really liked how the music and tone and everything shifted once you started DDS 2 to mark that you're in a different world now; in 1 the music is low-key and moody and has some of my favorite tracks (Spider's Web, Hunting and the base theme are all great) but 2 just opts for more mainstream bangers and I'm ok with that too

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Merilan posted:

Yeah they could definitely pile it into one on a rerelease or something

If Atlus pulled a .hack and did a big package of DDS1/DDS2/maybe Nocturne on PS4/Steam that would be VERY good and cool

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
man do not play with me like that, they would never

but they could make that pack cost $60 and i'd buy it

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

DDS and nocturne on PS4 with enemy weaknesses displayed would be a day one buy for me

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Agean90 posted:

DDS and nocturne on PS4 with enemy weaknesses displayed would be a day one buy for me

They've seemed really good about making weaknesses visible at a glance in all the newer games so if they did go back and do a little work on the games I think that would be possible, but I'd even take just the version of Maniax with Raidou instead of Dante (which I also can't believe was never released in the US digitally, pretty much all the work is already done). I think they did a really good job of keeping demon weaknesses consistent though the series in the PS2/DS era but nowadays I think I'd need the extra help.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I would also love enemy weaknesses displayed because the enemy weakness guessing game has never been fun to me in the entire series

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Expect My Mom posted:

yeah I really wish DDS were on the PS2 > PS4 service, they're on the PS3 as backwards compatibility.

Those games look sick as hell and playing old SMT has probably made me strong enough to handle the high random encounter rate i hear about

much like goro, heat also does nothing wrong

The encounter rate is fairly high but it’s not insane and it’s not terribly difficult so far. I like the gameplay and the weird Hindu aesthetic is cool

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The encounter rate of DDS isn't really any higher than Nocturne but the dungeons are less interesting and have a lot more backtracking so it can end up feeling more tedious. DDS2 in particular has the second worst final dungeon of any SMT game, though at least the music is great.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is barely relevant but I was only about 9 when Persona 2 came out so maybe I missed something....

High schoolers had cell phones in the late 90s? Pagers were the thing I remember everybody having back then and in the early 2000s.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

This is barely relevant but I was only about 9 when Persona 2 came out so maybe I missed something....

High schoolers had cell phones in the late 90s? Pagers were the thing I remember everybody having back then and in the early 2000s.

In Japan, probably yeah

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The encounter rate is fairly high but it’s not insane and it’s not terribly difficult so far. I like the gameplay and the weird Hindu aesthetic is cool
cool, maybe i'll shop around for one to replace my broken copy that i never got far in this week. sounds like some cool summer gaming rather than just playing persona 2 again

NikkolasKing posted:

yeah, mostly the taller black ones i believe, not flip phones. they had internet on them too, i think i-moto? i-mode? was in japan and england in 1999?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Japan used to be really far ahead of the curve when it came to cell phones, from the 80s up until the iPhone came out.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I was a highschooler in China when Persona 2:IS came out and a lot of people in my class had phones yeah, it wasn't that uncommon in Asia

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Mobile_Games

Most of those came out in 2007-2009, but it certainly gives the impression that cell phones were established enough by that point to have developers spending resources on making games for them, meanwhile the US didn't get any cell phone games that reeeeally resembled anything close to an actual game for a long time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Back when Pokemon Crystal was released in 2000, kids with cell phones were common enough in Japan for it to be worth Nintendo having a peripheral to connect a Game Boy to one for rudimentary online features.

If Pokemon's audience had cell phones enough for that, high schoolers definitely had them enough for a Persona game to make sense.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I had my first Nokia phone right around 99/2000, the 3210 - this was in Kuwait.

I was probably 13? Everyone my age started getting them. I went to the US for college in 2005 and everyone had these weird super old phones with no cameras or internet. I think a lot of people in the US attribute that to the iPhone but outside of the US it was pretty common already (And Japan was even further ahead)

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Merilan posted:

I really liked how the music and tone and everything shifted once you started DDS 2 to mark that you're in a different world now; in 1 the music is low-key and moody and has some of my favorite tracks (Spider's Web, Hunting and the base theme are all great) but 2 just opts for more mainstream bangers and I'm ok with that too

I liked the small detail of replacing the computer-like font from the damage numbers in-battle in DDS1 with a more "natural" one in DDS2.

WrightOfWay posted:

DDS2 in particular has the second worst final dungeon of any SMT game, though at least the music is great.

I never understood the hate for this dungeon, I went in expecting the worst gimmicks but for me it was smooth sailing (the fact that you're given broken skills at the beginning of it also helps), and I've played it twice. I had a much more miserable experience with Nocturne's, Strange Journey's or IV Apocalypse's final dungeons.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The biggest issues I have with it are that its aesthetic is cool but kinda wears out its welcome about halfway through, some of its gimmicks are absurdly bullshit and the encounter rate gets a bit much at times.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
FWIW in early 2000s Canada, I knew middle schoolers with smartphones (if og blackberries count), but they were the spoiled rich kid type as opposed to 'regular' people.

Wikipedia estimated around 40 million subscribers for the most popular service in Japan by the end of 2001.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 7, 2019

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

My relatives in Europe had mobile phones back then the US was just way behind the curve.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

From what I understand Japan doesn't have an SMS service so people needed internet capable phones to send 'mail' which is literally just e-mail.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The director of the game (Persona 5 Royal) is Daiki Ito. He was a lead confidant planner for Persona 5.

He has worked on previous Atlus games as a planner in the past. Notably, he was the director for Persona 4 Golden, assuming the role from Katsura Hashino who was the original director for Persona 4.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
So does that mean they are replacing the transphobia cutscenes quota with mary sue waifu cutscenes?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I’ll take a hundred Maries before another Scruffy Romantic.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I mean, yeah. They both suck, but one of those sucks massively more than the other.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Marie was my favorite P4 girl so....

I couldn't be with Yosuke anyway.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Marie is fine

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I'll go even further and say: Marie is good

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Let’s not say things we can’t take back.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Maybe he's learned his lesson with Kasumi that if you want people to like your character, you should probably write a likable character.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Marie was fine, just a little too prominent and having her both replace Nanako as the last person to encourage you in the final boss and show up after your Valentine's date to give you chocolate even if you weren't dating her were both too much.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like Eden Riegel tho

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Marie is better than Aegis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012