Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Come on dude. Don't just poo poo post with angst and then come out with that response. It's lame Reddit level poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Glenn Quebec posted:

Come on dude. Don't just poo poo post with angst and then come out with that response. It's lame Reddit level poo poo.

We need less histrionic hand wringing and more video game playing.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bum the Sad posted:

I know right. I tried to play Tomb Raider and there was no way to play as Vietnamese guy, game returned. loving bigots.

Dear god people. Play the video game, not the victim.

haha what the gently caress is wrong with you

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, I found a channel on youtube of a guy explaining how medieval stuff worked, from peasant vs knight's food, to shields, to riding techniques etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMjlDOf0UO9wSijFqPE9wBw/featured

I have absolutely no idea if what he says is factuually correct but it would seem at least plausible, and I found it decently entertaining while working and waiting to jump in Mordhau again once my shift's over

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I just want to top the scoreboard and type “I’m gay” in chat every 5 minutes

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Youre all stupid.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Squeezy Farm posted:

Youre all stupid.

Finally a good post.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TorakFade posted:

So, I found a channel on youtube of a guy explaining how medieval stuff worked, from peasant vs knight's food, to shields, to riding techniques etc.

I have absolutely no idea if what he says is factuually correct but it would seem at least plausible, and I found it decently entertaining while working and waiting to jump in Mordhau again once my shift's over

It's a pretty good resource if you're not very well read but it's light and breezy and a bit surface level for a lot of it so further reading definitely recommended.

That guy was a founder of Rebellion Dev btw, neat chap.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Bum the Sad posted:

We need less histrionic hand wringing and more video game playing.

Coming from that overwrought tomb raider / Vietnamese comparison you really can't call anyone here histrionic.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TorakFade posted:

How can we have fun when people stab us in the face with rapiers all day long and we keep dying :argh:

Rapier culture has to stop!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TorakFade posted:

It looks to be pretty decent, though perhaps not going all that deep. If you like this sort of thing, one of the best channels for this sort of sword :spergin: is probably by Matt Easton, who not just studies this stuff but also practices historical martial arts: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt14YOvYhd5FCGCwcjhrOdA

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Glenn Quebec posted:

Coming from that overwrought tomb raider / Vietnamese comparison you really can't call anyone here histrionic.

Please calm down.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If you want some cool books Torak check out Oakeshotte's A Knight and His .... series, its 4 or 5 inexpensive and thin books but Oakeshotte was a supreme researcher with a lifelong interest in swords and armor so the whole collection together is an excellently good starting point for this subject.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Bum the Sad posted:

Please calm down.

Really.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
While you were studying structuralized racial norms I was studying the blade.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Sharkopath posted:

If you want some cool books Torak check out Oakeshotte's A Knight and His .... series, its 4 or 5 inexpensive and thin books but Oakeshotte was a supreme researcher with a lifelong interest in swords and armor so the whole collection together is an excellently good starting point for this subject.

Maurice Druon's Accursed Kings is a really rad series. It doesn't delve into armor / swords etc. But has 14th century France in an interesting light and shows the build up before the Hundred Years War.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sharkopath posted:

Thanks! I see them for 10-12€ each on Amazon which isn't so cheap, but there's one on sale for 5€ (A Knight and his Castle) so I'm getting that, if I find it good I'll get the others too :) I'm pretty ignorant about the more detailed aspects of medieval life, but I'm very interested, so any beginner level stuff recommendation is welcome. :)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I get all my Medieval facts from A Knight's Tale, a historical docu-drama starring Heath Ledger

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

dtkozl posted:

While you were studying structuralized racial norms I was studying the blade.

Lol anyway I stumbled into this video game thread to see if this game was worth buying and found the hand wringing of the last few pages.

Anyway does this games fun actually have any longevity to it or is it seeming like a one weekend and some type of game?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Bum the Sad posted:

Lol anyway I stumbled into this video game thread to see if this game was worth buying and found the hand wringing of the last few pages.

Anyway does this games fun actually have any longevity to it or is it seeming like a one weekend and some type of game?

You should check out their discord I think you'd fit right in. Also, the game is rad and has legs.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bum the Sad posted:

It's probably gonna be around for a while. For comparison, the indirect precursor to this game (Chivalry) started out in 2007 as a mod, got turned into a full game in 2012, and was decently active until pretty much just now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TorakFade posted:

Thanks! I see them for 10-12€ each on Amazon which isn't so cheap, but there's one on sale for 5€ (A Knight and his Castle) so I'm getting that, if I find it good I'll get the others too :) I'm pretty ignorant about the more detailed aspects of medieval life, but I'm very interested, so any beginner level stuff recommendation is welcome. :)

Castle is the book that deals the most with daily life and organization and training, Armor is a developmental history of armor with commentary, Weapons is all about smashy stabby things, Horse talks a lot about the selection and training of mounts and the life of the tournament, Knight in Battle is an in depth look at four battles and the tactics used: Arsuf, Lincoln, Mauron, and Marignano.

They're old rear end books, like originally from the 60, and written for a younger audience, but still hold up entirely today.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 7, 2019

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Are there any decent new-person friendly builds or build advice? I liked early Chivalry way back but never played it too much, and I don't necessarily need something that will shred 1v1 but a way to contribute to existing fights like a spear or halberd seems useful.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Bum the Sad posted:

A lot of friends who got this have already kind of fallen off it, and a lot of the playerbase atm has a super high rank and knows their poo poo enough to own you a whole lot. But itll maybe get some cool updates in the future so who knows

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Are there any decent new-person friendly builds or build advice? I liked early Chivalry way back but never played it too much, and I don't necessarily need something that will shred 1v1 but a way to contribute to existing fights like a spear or halberd seems useful.

If you are playing on big maps with lots of people, get heavy armor, a shield, and a 1 hand axe. Gang up on people and use the overhand strike (mouse wheel back) to land head shots. Don't charge in recklessly alone or you will spend more time running waiting to respawn than fighting.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

2/1/1 armor at absolute minimum removes 99% of the instant kill risks. Though you'd be much safer with 2/2/1 minimum, as much because there are some weapons that go from real nasty to pool noodle once you go from rank 1 to rank 2.

The rank 2 helmet is because there are a bunch of weapons that can still instant kill you through "A nice hat", which is rank 1 armor.

Even if you are using a bigger weapon, 1 point for a short sword or 2 points for an Arming sword/axe whatever is a huge deal, and worth it's weight in perks/armor.

From there, whatever catches your fancy, or following advice from people who actually know what they are doing. But keeping an eye out for people who skip out on leg armor entirely can be a huge deal depending on your weapon. The peasant scythe deals more damage to bare legs than the Zweihander, even if it is reduced to "30 damage, on a headshot :saddowns:" with any real armor.

I now adore the sight of rapier wielders wearing full plate helmet and chests who decided "You know, nobody aims for legs. It's fine" :getin:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 7, 2019

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The game might be just a little light on content (e.g. number of maps) right now, but based on the awesome sales figures I think we can expect a long and comfortable period of support post release.

The game doesn't have a lot long-term character progression besides unlocking cosmetics. The long-term value really comes from getting better at the game. How long that holds people's attention will vary depending on their tastes.

I've been meaning to ask, what is the mechanic for knocking people off their horses if you aren't using the billhook? I've done it a few times with other polearms but I don't know how. Usually I hit them for some damage and they ride off into the sunset to heal and harrass someone else.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

timn posted:

I've been meaning to ask, what is the mechanic for knocking people off their horses if you aren't using the billhook? I've done it a few times with other polearms but I don't know how. Usually I hit them for some damage and they ride off into the sunset to heal and harrass someone else.

Seems like you have to hit their character model as they're riding at/past you.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Bum the Sad posted:

The skill ceiling is honestly epic, its probably the best game that has come out in forever.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dtkozl posted:

The skill ceiling is honestly epic, its probably the best game that has come out in forever.

Ya it's hilarious when a pro player is playing because they are literally like a champion from a historical war movie. They look unique and badass and just loving slay the poo poo out of everyone.

I would honestly pay money to see two pro teams 24v24 going at it.

TerrorTurtle
May 5, 2007
Game good. Having a lot of fun being the armorless maulboi. Sure, I can see it being cheap when I sneak up from behind and do my best Gallagher impression on unsuspecting fools, but I usually die immediately die afterwards to a longbow/rapier/stiff breeze.

Also, the suggestion to switch to third person mode for certain weapons is definitely a protip. Can't wait to get off work & die horribly repeatedly!!!!!!!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I finally made my own guy and he's almost identical to the Veteran, just a bit faster - heavy head, medium body, light legs.

I only had 2 perk points left so I picked Tenacious and Friendly

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Squeezy Farm posted:

Youre all stupid.

This. At least this slapfight got me to notice this game, it actually looks ok.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I found third person helps a lot with awareness and judging distance but I can’t parry for poo poo from that view.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Ravenfood posted:

Personally, I'd suggest starting with a high risk/high reward weapon like the Maul or Executioner's Sword. As a new player you're going to be overwhelmed with all the different options you have in combat, and having a weapon that allows you to win an engagement with a single well placed swing is very rewarding. You'll also quickly learn the value of a well timed-feint to allow you to sneak that single well placed swing in. Wear the heaviest armor you can until you gain some confidence, then take it all off and replace it with the Bloodlust perk and become a Frontline murder-machine.

Once things start to slow down for you and you start to recognize what's going on and how to react to it, you can move on to a weapon that takes more than one swing to kill with.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

For someone brand new pick a short spear and shield and lvl 3 head and body armor. Focus on pokes and overhead slashes (both on mouse wheel) and focus on sticking with team mates. Prioritize staying alive, blocking and flanking over killing. This is both a good way to learn the basics and can be highly effective against most people. As you feel comfortable, start on other weapons.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Diogines posted:

For someone brand new pick a short spear and shield and lvl 3 head and body armor. Focus on pokes and overhead slashes (both on mouse wheel) and focus on sticking with team mates. Prioritize staying alive, blocking and flanking over killing. This is both a good way to learn the basics and can be highly effective against most people. As you feel comfortable, start on other weapons.

This is great advice and I'd like to stress the, stick with teammates, staying alive, and blocking / flanking. Holding a position and doing so will make the enemy team gently caress up eventually and someone will get killed letting you have strength of numbers and win the skirmish.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you don't want to be That Guy who picks shortspear/shield and still wants to feel like a badass knocking people around, mace mace mace mace mace. It's 2 hits to kill everything if you hit in the chest or the head, has a deceptively fast stab (good for staggering, not so great on damage though) and it makes really fun sounds when you cave someone's head in, a truck carrying watermelons colliding with a truck carrying chicken bones.

Also, don't forget your trusty Dick Knife:

(it's actually called a Bollocks Guard lol)

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 7, 2019

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I ended up making someone with the long spear and medium armor everywhere and just following someone around and landing stab attacks was still a lot of fun. I parry way too early and keep getting dumpstered by anyone decent, but its still fun!

e: Well, except for chat which is predictably full of racist transphobes, but :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The best companion gear to the longspear is actually Someone Standing In Front Of You So You Don't Get Stabbed Yourself, so you were playing longspear right.

Tip for the longspear, your stab has a good startup and starts a hurtbox like right in your face, so you can still do full power stabs if someone is really close to you. Try not to swing at that range though, use feints and chambers.

We really need a way to mute that's not looking directly at their player model. That's being worked on though, the community manager said as much. Just report their steam profile and move on for now. In case you don't know how to do so, you can look at your friends list in steam and there's an option to view recently played with.