Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Drastic Actions posted:

For what it's worth, I just charted it out for myself and ended up put it at the same spot.

Time and Disregard is pretty bad though.

edit: wow, I totally forgot about Christmas Songs. That's for the best.

gently caress you the Christmas album whips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Piggybacking onto everything else said about the Bad Religion album. Decent enough, but if they cut half the filler/middle of the road songs, it'd be a pretty darn solid EP I think. Old Regime and Age of Unreason are probably the top 2 from the album that would make any future playlist.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
A single Pkew show in NY in June no other US dates
http://www.mercuryeastpresents.com/mercurylounge/EventDetail?tmeventid=1857520&offerid=0

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

you aren't going to trick me into listening to Into the Unknown again by ranking it in the middle of their albums.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

scumby posted:

you aren't going to trick me into listening to Into the Unknown again by ranking it in the middle of their albums.
You're totally listening to it right now, aren't you?

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

scumby posted:

I went back and listened to True North a couple days ago because I was wondering if the reason I ranked it so low was just because I haven't spent much time with it, and nope, it's because of lyrics like, "here's the church/here's the steeple/open up the door/corporations are people/what the gently caress did he say" combined with music that actually wouldn't sound out of place next to their '80s output. I'd rather listen to an album of stoned twenty-year-old punks trying their goshdarndest to be fifty-year-old prog dorks than a band of fifty-year-olds that's trying too hard to sound twenty again.

For the record, I also like Beneath the Shadows more than Dance With Me, so maybe I'm just a sucker for proggy second albums by California punk bands.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Moe_Rahn posted:

I'd rather listen to an album of stoned twenty-year-old punks trying their goshdarndest to be fifty-year-old prog dorks than a band of fifty-year-olds that's trying too hard to sound twenty again.

AFAIK it’s less “stoned,” more “coked up.”

I agree though; it’s probably why I like Dissent of Man, uneven as it is, over True North. BR trying new things and expanding their sound is usually better than “going back to the roots.”

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
real hot take incoming:

dude ranch still slaps, and if you disagree, you're dumb

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Easily their best record.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What's the best song about Star Wars, A New Hope or Weird Al's The Saga Begins?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0JYkTQiGO0

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I don't gently caress with Blink at all but even I like the riff to Dammit

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

real hot take incoming:

I just listened to it the other day, indeed it does slap.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

real hot take incoming:

good take

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't gently caress with Blink at all but even I like the riff to Dammit

:hmmyes:

I took seeing a Pkew shirt at PUP as a sign to actually listen to that stuff posted earlier and that is also real good stuff

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
New Idles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoxivC5GVAU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm stoked for American Football this weekend.

I got it preordered in January. I'm kicking myself because I didn't need to do that as tickets are still available and for the same price and instead of Ticketfly I have to deal with their point of sale which is pretty rinky dink.

Like, the website I got the ticket from is just blank now. There's no information. I was freaking out because I didn't get an email with a PDF or info and had to pull up a freaking Google Cached version of another date's page to see that it's at will call.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Moe_Rahn posted:

I went back and listened to True North a couple days ago because I was wondering if the reason I ranked it so low was just because I haven't spent much time with it, and nope, it's because of lyrics like, "here's the church/here's the steeple/open up the door/corporations are people/what the gently caress did he say" combined with music that actually wouldn't sound out of place next to their '80s output. I'd rather listen to an album of stoned twenty-year-old punks trying their goshdarndest to be fifty-year-old prog dorks than a band of fifty-year-olds that's trying too hard to sound twenty again.

For the record, I also like Beneath the Shadows more than Dance With Me, so maybe I'm just a sucker for proggy second albums by California punk bands.

I literally feel the opposite way about True North, I think it’s an extremely good return to form for them.

After listening to Age of Unreason several times and sleeping on it (I was a little bit tired and grumpy when I made my previous post) I am changing my evaluation from not good to pretty good. There are a few very good songs and a few extremely bad songs, for example Lose your Head sounds completely out of place on a BR album. Candidate is an okay concept that is poorly executed. Big Black Dog isn’t very good although I disagree with the guy who said it’s on the same level as The Hippie Killers. But stuff like Chaos from Within, My Sanity, The Approach, End of History, Age of Unreason and Old Regime paint a poignant picture of the current state of the USA and the stress and anxiety many of us feel about the impending collapse of Western society.

Anyway here’s my completely arbitrary ranking list:

Recipe for Hate
No Control
Suffer
Against the Grain
Generator
The Process of Belief
Stranger Than Fiction
True North
The Empire Strikes First
New Maps of Hell
How Could Hell Be Any Worse?
Age of Unreason
The Gray Race
The Dissent of Man
The New America
No Substance

Did I miss one? I’ve never actually listened to Into the Unknown, so I didn’t rank it. Anyway the only two albums I would consider bad are the bottom two, the rest range from pretty good to amazing.

Edit: they should have included The Kids Are Alt Right on Age of Unreason, that was a mistake. Even if it were like a pre-order bonus track.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 8, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hey, remember when blink-182 resembled a punk band? lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SleFHBDZb8k

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

We need an antidote

I've got just the thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGkcsgwulYY

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

This is... uh.. um... I don't like this.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I do not.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Honestly it would be super weird for them to still be making pop punk songs about not loving in their 40s so who cares

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Honestly it would be super weird for them to still be making pop punk songs about not loving in their 40s so who cares

Dude Ranch was twenty-two years ago, we are all dust, the song is still bad

Bad Religion summer tour announced! With the Lawrence Arms opening :negative:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

No I know, they just should've disbanded years ago (after Neighborhoods, which is the last thing of theirs I enjoyed)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Birds In Row are touring the US, you should go see them.

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap
they're really good

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

They’re playing 100 miles away on a Thursday night. Booo

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Inspector_666 posted:

Birds In Row are touring the US, you should go see them.

quote:

Sat, May 4, 2019

Oh no

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Deathlove posted:

Dude Ranch was twenty-two years ago, we are all dust, the song is still bad

Bad Religion summer tour announced! With the Lawrence Arms opening :negative:

Not every show! They also have The Explosion opening sometimes :negative:

I’m going to see them in Rochester (with the lovely Lawrence Arms) but I am tempted to go see them in Hollywood on August 17th since one of my bucket list items is seeing the full band including Brett Gurewitz and well there might not be much time left for that. Most of my extended family is in LA so it would be a convenient excuse to see my 93 & 94 year old grandparents.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

No I know, they just should've disbanded years ago (after Neighborhoods, which is the last thing of theirs I enjoyed)
California was the best Alkaline Trio album in at least a decade.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Not every show! They also have The Explosion opening sometimes :negative:

Or Dave Hause.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m going to see them in Rochester (with the lovely Lawrence Arms)

Oh yes, now I remember you and your posts and opinions...

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
This last page is very confusing, what with these incorrect opinions on the Lawrence Arms and recent Alkaline Trio albums.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Monday_ posted:

This last page is very confusing, what with these incorrect opinions on the Lawrence Arms and recent Alkaline Trio albums.
I haven't actually heard the newest Alk3 yet, how is it? Good Mourning was incredible, but my opinions on the three after that ranged from "pretty good" to "eh, this is some Alkaline Trio music, I guess".

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Moe_Rahn posted:

I haven't actually heard the newest Alk3 yet, how is it? Good Mourning was incredible, but my opinions on the three after that ranged from "pretty good" to "eh, this is some Alkaline Trio music, I guess".

It's pretty drat good. Definitely their best since Good Mourning.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
I've never listened to Lawrence arms but Branden Kelly and the Wandering Birds own and so does The Falcons first album

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

I've never listened to Lawrence arms but Branden Kelly and the Wandering Birds own and so does The Falcons first album

Metropole is a great record.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
What the gently caress the Lawrence Arms are awesome

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Listen to Oh Calcutta.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I slept on Larry Arms for way too long (until like, last year, which is downright shameful), but the song where everything finally clicked for me was "The Slowest Drink at the Saddest Bar on the Snowiest Day in the Greatest City."

Something about hearing that particular song triggered the weird part of my brain that contains all the songs that mentally transport me back to very specific times and places of my life and all of a sudden I'm 23 again and it's the middle of winter and I'm sitting in my lovely wood-paneled apartment above someone else's garage tying plastic shopping bags over my lovely boots that I should have replaced a year ago so that I can walk down to the gas station and pay exact change for a bottle of Thunderbird to hold me over until the late afternoon when it's slightly more socially acceptable to head downtown to drink at the one decent bar with the townies and the students that haven't left for the holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I didn't realize the explosion we're even together still, literally haven't thought about them since I was like 18