Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It depends on how much security and privacy you want to trade for convenience. As long as your are still able to root to get what you want, I have no problem with that since those users get to choose to compromise their security to do that. So, it's still distinctly different from iPhone in that regard.

I don't think I've used a file manager in like 3 years, I can't see much use for them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I think the Razer and Asus ROG both have high refresh rate screens but the default setting is 60 in UI and only turning on high framerate for games because it is a battery sink.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bull3964 posted:

I don't think I've used a file manager in like 3 years, I can't see much use for them anymore.

The only thing I've used a file manager for on my last couple of phones is moving mp3s into the ringtone/notifications folder.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I sometimes use one to clean out (or find) PDFs in my downloads folder. I often use one to access my computer's shared drive.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I use a file manager to move travel docs into the a specific folder, find stuff from that folder again (nice to have all your tickets etc offlined), and move music from downloads to the media folder. Some times I clean out poo poo which uninstalled apps have left behind. I can do most of this from wifi file transfer or in other ways. I don't mind at all if I don't have to, but it's annoying if I'm no longer allowed, but it's still needed.

However, it sounds like scoped storage will make it more secure, harder for apps to clutter up the file system, easier to clean them out (uninstalling should delete the only folder they're allowed to write to) and the rest can be done with simpler file management in the music, videos etc folders.

https://developer.android.com/preview/privacy/scoped-storage

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

File manager is insanely useful to me. I remember having a first gen ipad and having to manually connect it to my pc to transfer files around because apps were so walled in they couldn't read the same file. I really hope it's not going that way

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Pre I/O catchupposting:

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Abit off topic but I've been reading that Android, starting with Q, will no longer let you access your filesystem?

The change is that they're introducing app sandboxing to the /sdcard partition (the artist also known as "Shared Storage" or "External storage") by deprecating the READ/WRITE EXTERNAL STORAGE permissions which have existed since Cupcake. The model for developers is changing from "do whatever you want on the user filesystem" to "Put it in the 'Downloads', 'Music' or 'Pictures' folder. Also you can only see your own files in those folders unless the user says otherwise".

They're essentially trying to retrofit something similar to the Chrome OS model (where all files/folders live under a single Downloads folder). All the pain is on the dev side (having to refactor with the Storage access framework), not so much the user side. Though the tradeoffs of the SAF sort of kill some use cases (bulk reading of directories is way slower so antivirus apps and file managers suffer)

docbeard posted:

So by the time you can't use your file manager any more, the likelihood is that either (a) you will in fact still be able to use your file manager, (b) you won't need it, or (c) Google will have been distracted by something shiny and nothing will actually change.

It's b), the main reason for third party file managers to begin with was that /sdcard had no storage conventions making the default Android Download/Files app inadequate.

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Genuine question for people who are fine with 4 status bar icons max: let's say that you sell stuff on eBay as a side-gig or something. Do you think it's acceptable to have to pull down your notification shade every, I dunno, 20 minutes or so to see if someone sent you an eBay message?

I'm on a Pixel 3XL so there are effectively only 2 max.

There's no such dilemma if you go down the railroaded Google route: if Ebay seller notifications were time critical/important you'd set the importance of that channel to "make sound" and you'd feel the phone vibrate in your pocket in realtime when you did get a message. Why would you even need to proactively check?

When you follow the default workflow of setting every notification which is time sensitive to "make sound"/"make sound and popup" and silencing everything else, everything just works out. Android Q even visually seperates the notification list into those groups, and the Q ambient display doesn't even show the later.

"But what if I'm not there when the message comes in?" That's what the lockscreen is for (though Pixel 1 doesn't have always on and completely wake on pick up so isn't as convenient). Notification dots on your homescreen and app switcher are a 3rd line of defense.

Khablam posted:

For a company paying lip-service to "digital wellbeing" they're doing a good job of making sure you check your phone more often

https://twitter.com/benthompson/status/864909434497056768

Notifications are essentially an attention to-do list, so moving from "show the user as much stuff as you can cram in the bar" to "the most important 4" isn't a contradiction of digital wellbeing at all.

redeyes posted:

So basically if google is left to be google, we would have iphones at this point?

Android as "Freedom OS" died when Sundar took over in 2013.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 7, 2019

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQSaPsKHPqs

Verge liveblog

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 7, 2019

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vagrancy posted:

Android as "Freedom OS" died when Sundar took over in 2013.

This is a good thing.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Vagrancy posted:

The change is that they're introducing app sandboxing to the /sdcard partition (the artist also known as "Shared Storage" or "External storage") by deprecating the READ/WRITE EXTERNAL STORAGE permissions which have existed since Cupcake. The model for developers is changing from "do whatever you want on the user filesystem" to "Put it in the 'Downloads', 'Music' or 'Pictures' folder. Also you can only see your own files in those folders unless the user says otherwise".

Then they should limit extensive file access to just file manager apps, and they should ban free Bubble Pop games from the app store that ask for access to all files and GPS location.

Also I find there already is a lot of limitations, there's a lot of apps where I try to share photos and it only allows the Photos folder to be accessed. For example, in Facebook Messenger, the last time I tried to send a pic to a friend I downloaded from Twitter, it didn't let me select that image/folder.

Vagrancy posted:

https://twitter.com/benthompson/status/864909434497056768

Notifications are essentially an attention to-do list, so moving from "show the user as much stuff as you can cram in the bar" to "the most important 4" isn't a contradiction of digital wellbeing at all.

Cool. That's his point of view. He should be able to block those, and I should be able to see them because IDGAF about black space being forever empty. Also people use status bar icons for things other than notifications, such as the current temperature.

Vagrancy posted:

I'm on a Pixel 3XL so there are effectively only 2 max.

There's no such dilemma if you go down the railroaded Google route: if Ebay seller notifications were time critical/important you'd set the importance of that channel to "make sound" and you'd feel the phone vibrate in your pocket in realtime when you did get a message. Why would you even need to proactively check?

When you follow the default workflow of setting every notification which is time sensitive to "make sound"/"make sound and popup" and silencing everything else, everything just works out. Android Q even visually seperates the notification list into those groups, and the Q ambient display doesn't even show the later.

"But what if I'm not there when the message comes in?" That's what the lockscreen is for (though Pixel 1 doesn't have always on and completely wake on pick up so isn't as convenient). Notification dots on your homescreen and app switcher are a 3rd line of defense.

Regarding the lockscreen: whenever I pick up my phone to send a text, to check a website, to check Facebook, to see some news, etc.), I press my finger against the fingerprint reader to unlock it. I can't even remember the last time I looked at the lockscreen. Probably the only time I ever do is to check the time. It's an unnecessary extra step. if I want to check out my notifications, I just swipe down with my finger on the fingerprint reader.

As for the status bar icons, if I am driving, I have my navigation app on. When I constantly see an eBay icon on the top every time I look at the GPS, I am 100x more likely to remember to stop off at the post office than if that space was black instead.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Taffer posted:

This is a good thing.

It would have been a better thing if anyone high up at Google had a clear unified vision for what Android is supposed to be, supposed to work, and supposed to feel.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lowen SoDium posted:

It would have been a better thing if anyone high up at Google had a clear unified vision for what Android is supposed to be, supposed to work, and supposed to feel.

this, but text chat too

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

this, but text chat too everything Google/Alphabet too

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the Assistant will get faster on the Pixel 4.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

bull3964 posted:

It depends on how much security and privacy you want to trade for convenience.

I tried rooting once. Having to manually download all updates and install them manually and keeping up with Google breaking everything regularly was pretty much the opposite of convenient.

How does scoped storage work with SD Cards, anyway?

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 7, 2019

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
New assistant looks pretty amazing, can't wait to try it first hand to see how it goes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

couldcareless posted:

New assistant looks pretty amazing, can't wait to try it first hand to see how it goes.

Apparently the code that either Android Police or XDA found in Q's beta 2 that it would remove the home button hold will be true in at least the Pixel 4. They'll probably set it so the squeeze for Assistant will be default.

EDIT: Huh. Google just turned phone calls into text messages.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 7, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Federated Learning is a big deal and seems like a perfect response to Apple's privacy ad campaign.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
finally android

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Live caption is really cool

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
The most impressive thing is the offline voice recognition.

Hopefully Beta 3 will land tonight.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 7, 2019

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Very surprised and pleased to see how much of this keynote is about privacy and security. Finally doing something about it after Apple repeatedly stomping them on that topic.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnt6GBmnpjE

looks like the verge had the real android keynote

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sabrina Ellis sounds like she's on an infomercial, it's really, really amazing.

Also US Cellular, Sprint, and T-Mobile will carry the Pixel 3a/3a XL starting today.

Also on Google Fi, Google Store, and Verizon.

EDIT: Jeff Dean is being booed. Wonder why.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

3a is official at the $399 price point, can buy today.

At that price, it may be near the best camera at that price. I don't just mean best phone camera, but best camera period (excluding used market).

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

https://blog.google/products/pixel/io-pixel-3a/

Found a link that isn't live yet: https://store.google.com/product/pixel_3a

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
$400 midranger? *yawn*

You can load the Google camera app on any phone now, right? Why does this phone really matter and how does it compete against the $200 midrangers from China?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

From that first link:

"Time lapse is coming to Google Pixel 3a, so you can capture an entire sunset in just a few seconds of video—great for posting on social media or messaging to your friends."

Looks like we'll be getting Time Lapse in the camera app now.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

$400 midranger? *yawn*

You can load the Google camera app on any phone now, right? Why does this phone really matter and how does it compete against the $200 midrangers from China?

It only uploads a compressed version of it and now the original right? Also don't most of those phones lack most US LTE bands

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

$400 midranger? *yawn*

I genuinely thought it would be USD $500 or so.
Still should have been 300/350*

* SD710 or bust. gently caress anything worse.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 7, 2019

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

no wide angle selfie cam on the 3a right?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Reviews are out for the 3a.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH88jkuzICU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOPfFcAw7mI

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mister Facetious posted:

* SD710 or bust. gently caress anything worse.

670 is fine. I've been using it on a Tab S5e for two weeks and it's been great.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Going from that link above, looks like the Pixel 3a's don't get the full res upload for free like the normal Pixel's do.

"Google Photos is built in, so you can save all your high-quality photos and videos with free, unlimited storage"

That's pulled directly from that link above. :/ I thought "High Quality" was the other option and Full Res was either against your storage, or free for Pixels. (Pixel 1 for life, Pixel 2+ seems to cut off at 2 years?).

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyRPyRKHO8M

googles continuing to stream here if you want to catch the second, more developer focused keynote

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

Going from that link above, looks like the Pixel 3a's don't get the full res upload for free like the normal Pixel's do.

"Google Photos is built in, so you can save all your high-quality photos and videos with free, unlimited storage"

That's pulled directly from that link above. :/ I thought "High Quality" was the other option and Full Res was either against your storage, or free for Pixels. (Pixel 1 for life, Pixel 2+ seems to cut off at 2 years?).

bleh, I guess some trade-offs are expected but I was hoping it was limited to just the body and soc

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

:siren: Link is live :siren:

https://store.google.com/product/pixel_3a

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mod sassinator posted:

$400 midranger? *yawn*

What $200 midrangers should I be looking at?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Twerk from Home posted:

What $200 midrangers should I be looking at?

Stuff like this from Xiaomi: https://techtablets.com/2019/04/best-under-200-mobile-redmi-note-7-global-review/ LTE band availability can be tricky though so do your research for what your carrier uses and what your phone supports. But yeah they're making $200 phones that are so much better than the $400+ junk we have here in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

bull3964 posted:

670 is fine. I've been using it on a Tab S5e for two weeks and it's been great.

I already own an SD821 though.

Also wtf LTT said it's a plastic body.
A $400 plastic phone.