Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
0/1 Baby Token is actually kinda funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Technically they should be ½/½ , they aren't Plants

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chill la Chill posted:

If you consider wearing whatever t-shirt to the gym as wearing it in public, this is good:

Oooh I am actually kind of tempted to get that for my trainer at the gym, who claims to play Magic (but never accepts my invitations to go to FNM :argh:)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

C-Euro posted:

Oooh I am actually kind of tempted to get that for my trainer at the gym, who claims to play Magic (but never accepts my invitations to go to FNM :argh:)

It even has a broccoli!

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

quote:

Modern Horizons is on the horizon. Expect more details on the arrival of this new set in the coming weeks and as soon as previews start on May 19.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

I am going to wear a T-shirt with Nicol Bolas on it to the GP Saturday.

Kid is going to wear an Ajani T-Shirt lion ears and tail and paint her face.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Kid asked me on the car ride to school what the prize would be if she won and I guessed and said "IDK maybe... 10k?" She said if she won she'd earmark 3k to donate to cat shelters. :3:

If I had the money I'd sponsor you and your kid's flight out to my next Cat Draft. :3:

I'm thinking it'll be in August. Kids are off school, and the Core Set is out. I like to do them with Core sets because lots of casual players and people who haven't played Magic in years come out for the events.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Owlbear Camus posted:

What a rad kid.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Technically they should be ½/½ , they aren't Plants

They should be 0/0 germ tokens, they can't survive on their own without some sort of support!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Owlbear Camus posted:

I am going to wear a T-shirt with Nicol Bolas on it to the GP Saturday.

Now you need to have her make a diss video in costume to Dana Fischer.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Who else likes jank combos in standard?

https://twitter.com/yoman_5/status/1125559113386201088

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Owlbear Camus posted:

Kid asked me on the car ride to school what the prize would be if she won and I guessed and said "IDK maybe... 10k?" She said if she won she'd earmark 3k to donate to cat shelters. :3:

Please let your kid know about the existence of this deck and also get a big pile of Cat Tokens

DrSunshine posted:

I've been playing a Cat Clone deck using various "Copy ~" cards to make a Charmed Stray version of the Persistent Petitioners / Rat Colony deck. It's so hilarious and stupid. :haw:

The Cat Came Back posted:

4 Charmed Stray (WAR) 8
3 Quasiduplicate (GRN) 51
1 Mirror Image (M19) 61
2 Mirror March (RNA) 108
1 Helm of the Host (DAR) 217
4 Revitalize (M19) 35
4 Dovin's Acuity (RNA) 168
3 Deafening Clarion (GRN) 165
3 Justiciar's Portal (RNA) 13
3 Clear the Mind (RNA) 34
2 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
2 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
4 Azorius Guildgate (RNA) 244
1 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247
1 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
4 Izzet Guildgate (GRN) 251
2 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
2 Clifftop Retreat (DAR) 239
3 Saheeli, Sublime Artificer (WAR) 234
2 Plaza of Harmony (RNA) 254
4 Boros Guildgate (GRN) 243
3 Cleansing Nova (M19) 9
2 Teferi's Time Twist (WAR) 72

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Please let your kid know about the existence of this deck and also get a big pile of Cat Tokens

I love you, this is great.

(we have the cat tokens left over from last standard where Annointed Procession lead to a board state where she had to surrender most of them to the humane society.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Owlbear Camus posted:

I love you, this is great.

(we have the cat tokens left over from last standard where Annointed Procession lead to a board state where she had to surrender most of them to the humane society.)

"The Humane Society" is a really odd name for star of extinction but okay.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

So this just kills with infinite ral pings when nehu mera copies finale of devestation-> more nehu?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

resistentialism posted:

So this just kills with infinite ral pings when nehu mera copies finale of devestation-> more nehu?

Downtick ral to copy a spell, cast Finale for 4
Copy of Finale gets Naru Meha, Naru meha copies the original Finale
Copy of Finale gets Naru Meha2, Naru Meha 1 gets legend ruled, Naru meha 2 copies the original finale
Copy of Finale gets Naru Meha 1 out of the graveyard, Naru Meha 2 gets legend ruled, Naru Meha 1 copies the original finale
GOTO 3.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

resistentialism posted:

Yep. I initially forgot that Finale can pull from the graveyard too. You only need to pull two Nehu from the deck and then it's infinite copies as you legend rule and replay one over and over.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Clearly the best standard deck is gruul aggro, using my big boar son to slam down big fatties. Add rhythm of the wild to make that one dork make 3, put in fatties with etb or on attack effects of choice. Goreclaw in case you need to hardcast stuff.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

there's a proliferate/magistrate's scepter pile just waiting to break this meta wide open

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Trust that I am doing the work to make magistrate's scepter A Thing

In the meantime, try out this Amass Tribal deck that I've been having a blast with;

4 Soul Diviner
4 Gleaming Overseer
2 Vizier of the Scorpion

2 Narset
2 Kasmina
1 Lilliana

4 Dreadhorde Invasion
2 Search for Azcanta

4 Thought Erasure
1 Moment of Craving
1 Tyrants Scorn
2 Vraska's Contempt
3 Enter the God-Eternals
4 Wizard's Retort

4 Watery Grave
4 Drowned Catacombs
7 Swamp
7 Island
2 Field of Ruin

1 Tyrants Scorn
1 Moment of Craving
4 Duress
1 Spell Pierce
2 Negate
1 Vraska's Contempt
1 Narset
1 The Elderspell
2 Sinister Sabotage
1 Entrancing Melody

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Absolution is fun. Absolution with 6 inheritances is also fun. Thanks MTGA bots.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Tibalt's like 80% of the way there already, isn't he?

Yea, but the automatic shock to the face every turn would be even better!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i really hate drafting Orzhov and my recent 7-win runs have been rakdos or gruul with maybe a blue splash. I think aggro is way underdrafted in RNA, there are no good common creatures that dodge the common removal except for like rendhorn

played a game where I got my gruul spellbreaker slimebinded and just pumped it with gruul beastmasters lol

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
I'm the guy that always drafts the dovin's acuity/clear the mind deck and makes every game drag on for over an hour, sorry lol

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

WalrusWhiskers posted:

I'm the guy that always drafts the dovin's acuity/clear the mind deck and makes every game drag on for over an hour, sorry lol

Yeah I can't go into an IRL RNA draft and not go Azorius Mill.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Time to be :smug:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/613489/magic-the-gathering-is-officially-the-worlds-most-complex-game/

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

But people hate complexity.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I think that's the same guy who proved magic was Turing complete ages ago / made that card generator. Good for him.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

If I understood this correctly, any number of other games would qualify as equally "most complex". What's been shown is "that determining the outcome of a game of Magic is non-computable", or impossible to predict because of the complexity (though I don't know how they factor in randomness), which is unlikely to be unique to Magic.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

If I understood this correctly, any number of other games would qualify as equally "most complex". What's been shown is "that determining the outcome of a game of Magic is non-computable", or impossible to predict because of the complexity (though I don't know how they factor in randomness), which is unlikely to be unique to Magic.

They built a turing machine out of a magic gamestate and made winning the game halt the turing machine. So to see who would win a game you'd have to solve the halting problem. It's the same author as the original turing machine paper but this time around it's fully deterministic (doesn't require players to say yes to any may triggers).

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

deathbagel posted:

They should be 0/0 germ tokens, they can't survive on their own without some sort of support!

Suspend
Infect
Cumulative upkeep

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

little munchkin posted:

Also people would spend less because we aren't good at thinking rationally when it comes to randomness. People who would never pay the singles price for chase cards love throwing away money on packs.

During original Innistrad I once watched a dude at my LGS crack a whole sealed booster box because he wanted a LotV.

The same dude did the same thing during RTR and Theros blocks, though by that time I had convinced him to just do a sealed with a few of us and then he just keeps the cards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They built a turing machine out of a magic gamestate and made winning the game halt the turing machine. So to see who would win a game you'd have to solve the halting problem. It's the same author as the original turing machine paper but this time around it's fully deterministic (doesn't require players to say yes to any may triggers).

Do you know how much the conclusion is based on the particular game state and decks used?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Do you know how much the conclusion is based on the particular game state and decks used?

From the reddit thread, it seems that it is necessary for a game to have infinite permutations of a board state to be non-computable, so the deck chosen involves a weird combo with staff of domination.

actually, here's the decklist the researchers used:

quote:

4 Ancient Tomb
4 Lotus Petal
4 Grim Monolith
4 Power Artifact
4 Gemstone Array
4 Staff of Domination
1 Memnarch
1 Stolen Identity
1 Artificial Evolution
1 Olivia Voldaren
1 Glamerdye
1 Prismatic Lace
1 Donate
1 Reality Ripple
1 Rotlung Reanimator
1 Cloak of Invisibility
1 Infest
1 Cleansing Beam
1 Soul Snuffers
1 Illusory Gains
1 Privileged Position
1 Steely Resolve
1 Vigor
1 Fungus Sliver
1 Dread of Night
1 Wild Evocation
1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
1 Shared Triumph
1 Xathrid Necromancer
1 Mesmeric Orb
1 Coalition Victory
1 Prismatic Omen
1 Choke
1 Recycle
1 Blazing Archon
1 Djinn Illuminatus
1 Reito Lantern
1 Claws of Gix
1 Riptide Replicator
1 Capsize
1 Karn Liberated
1 Fathom Feeder

With the correct draw, the deck uses Ancient Tomb and three Lotus Petals to play Grim Monolith and Power Artifact and generate unlimited colourless mana, at which point Staff of Domination draws the rest of the deck and Gemstone Array generates unlimited coloured mana. The deck casts most of the permanents immediately, and uses Stolen Identity to make token copies of them (using Memnarch first on the enchantments like Cloak of Invisibility). The tape is initialised with Riptide Replicator and Capsize. Djinn Illuminatus or Reito Lantern allow repeated casting of the text-modification cards, as well as Reality Ripple which sets the phase of the Rotlung Reanimators and Donate which gives most permanents to Bob. Once everything is set up, Steely Resolve is cast, and then Karn Liberated and Capsize are used to exile all setup permanents and all cards from Bob’s hand, eventually exiling Capsize and Karn Liberated themselves. Now no player has any remaining choices except to let the Turing machine execute

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

sit on my Facebook posted:

0/1 Baby Token is actually kinda funny

Serf tokens were also 0/1s but germs is probably more accurate.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
This 5-0 MTGO deck posted today is wild: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1885348

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So, doing some prep with my daughter for GP I have a couple concerns.

I have never played at comp rel before, or been to a GP.

She has some trouble with manual dexterity tasks: Shuffling and sleeving. Shuffling she can pile shuffle, but sleeving she basically makes every card appear marked left to her own through creasing and divots, and can't seem to get down the simple pinch and slide technique. Can she prevail on a judge to help her?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

100%. Because their proof is done once they can construct an universal turing machine, 90% of the text is explaining what cards they use and how to implement the necessary parts of the machine. So they set up the tape head and the transition tables, stack the deck in a way that it advances in a particular way according to which virtual symbol appears etc. The cool part is a player could absolutely bring a legacy deck and create the boardstate themselves. Only one deck is required it turns out, as long as they're not disrupted by the other player.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

venutolo posted:

This 5-0 MTGO deck posted today is wild: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1885348

I feel like this was put together as a joke and they stumbled into a 5-0 without meaning to. Would love to see how it actually works.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I assume the game plan is "cast niv, draw about five cards".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jabor posted:

I assume the game plan is "cast niv, draw about five cards".

Or Bring to Light Niv